Activision & Toys for Bob

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Activision & Toys for Bob

Post by Draxas »

I recently stumbled across this chronology thanks to TVTropes:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmes ... _id=128252

The whole affair is deeply disturbing to me, especially since TFB is basically a wholly owned subsidiary of Activision at this point. Policies like the ones discussed are really making me despair of ever seeing our sequel (or if we do, the sort of "revenue enhancing" nonsnse and sequelitis it might generate), especially considering Activision's focus on rapidly exploiting the hell out of a successful franchise until the quality and interest drop low enough that the returns diminish, and then sacking the teams responsible without a second thought.

What are you guys' thoughts on the subject?
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Re: Activision & Toys for Bob

Post by Angelfish »

Frankly, I don't really care that much about a sequel to SC2 by TFB anymore. It's been almost 15 years. TFB hasn't made a sequel, and they probably never will. And even if they do, it'll most likely suck donkey balls in hell because it has Activision's commercial stamps all over it. So no, i'm not really worried about this :).

Nowadays, I care more about the SC community than about TFB. We add to its universe daily with fanfics, remixes, clones, RPG's, comics and art. And just what has TFB done for the SC community last 10 years?
Scott Irving
Site Admin

Post by Scott Irving »

besides sharing the source code to uqm you mean ;-), otherwise... get our hopes up that's about it.
Site Admin and General Techie person. Also I'm batman.
Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth »

After reading that chronology, I no longer even want a TFB-created SC3. That sounds like an incredibly toxic corporate environment. I'm sad that my favorite game developers are caught up in it.
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas »

Eth wrote:After reading that chronology, I no longer even want a TFB-created SC3. That sounds like an incredibly toxic corporate environment. I'm sad that my favorite game developers are caught up in it.
I am hesitant to express that opinion, and yet pretty much inclined to agree, sadly; the potential for pure, distilled awesome is almost certainly just potential, never to be realized with the prevailing attitudes of TFB's bosses.
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela »

Thanks for sharing that Draxas. It is incredibly depressing, but it certainly s the best argument against a new SC game I've heard. I'd hate for it to end up like Wow, a soulless money generating world where you invest in all kinds of silly virtual property with real life money.

And really, I mean that sounds comically over the top evil. What's next, an Activision Death Star?
Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin »

This is just one of the reasons the "youngest" game I have and play is from year 2000.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.
VenusRain
Hunam adventurer

Post by VenusRain »

Lukipela wrote:And really, I mean that sounds comically over the top evil. What's next, an Activision Death Star?
I would not put it past them. I don't know what they'd use it for, though.

And yeah, I really don't want to see what would happen if TFB was forced to make a new SC game in that environment. It's... not nice to think about.
Wild DEVIANT SCHOOLGIRL appeared!

Fight|Poke
Bag |>Run
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish »

Lukipela wrote:Thanks for sharing that Draxas. It is incredibly depressing, but it certainly s the best argument against a new SC game I've heard. I'd hate for it to end up like Wow, a soulless money generating world where you invest in all kinds of silly virtual property with real life money.

And really, I mean that sounds comically over the top evil. What's next, an Activision Death Star?
Seems like you've never played WoW. It's the best game I've ever played, never have I played a game so immersive that you can spend weeks playing it and still not get bored. It's and mmoRPG and eventually you end up feeling like you ARE the character that you play (in my case an undead hellfiring bitch, a disaster to every friendly healer around).
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish »

Anyway, it seems like an SC sequel coming from TFB while they are still with Activision is a bad thing. Looks like we need to put a stop to all those petitions around ;).