Starting a blind playthrough of Star Control Origins (with videos! No spoilers, please)

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Tormuse
Arilou wiseguy

Re: Starting a blind playthrough of Star Control Origins (with videos! No spoilers, please)

Post by Tormuse »

palmpet wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:51 am As for recomendations I don't know enough about ya, what you like, what you have and haven't played.
Draxas wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:01 pm I have piles of games I could recommend going all the way back to the NES and DOS PCs. Just choose your platform and what kind of thing you would want to play, and I'll have something to suggest.
I like a wide variety of games, including platformers, crafting/survival games, visual novels, immersive sims, Roguelikes, etc. Something that has either interesting gameplay or an interesting story, or both. I'm not terribly picky. I actually already have a couple of other games lined up anyway, but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask. Really, it comes down to what kind of game would you want to watch someone play?
palmpet
Reborn Shofixti
Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.

Re: Starting a blind playthrough of Star Control Origins (with videos! No spoilers, please)

Post by palmpet »

Well if I was to pick straught up anything you probably haven't played yet... Bug Fables. Near perfect game, not my favorite, but I have trouble finding anything wrong with it.
"What's the point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes."
Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin »

Into the Breach had DLC released recently, added lots of variety.
FTL is infinitely replayable even without mods, of which there are myriad, some are almost new game in itself, like Multiverse.
Slay the Spire is very good game.
Guild of Dungeoneering was a very fun game till third DLC onward, they were too imbalanced.
Dicey Dungeons is lighthearted fun game. Unless you play the Witch or Robot...
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas »

Ooh, I hadn't heard about Into the Breach yet, I might have to pick that up again. Fantastic game, especially if you're a tactics fan like me.
Tormuse
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Tormuse »

palmpet wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:31 am Well if I was to pick straught up anything you probably haven't played yet... Bug Fables. Near perfect game, not my favorite, but I have trouble finding anything wrong with it.
I looked up the trailer for Bug Fables. Looks like a cute little RPG. Thanks, I'll add it to the list. :)
Alvarin wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:44 am Into the Breach had DLC released recently, added lots of variety.
FTL is infinitely replayable even without mods, of which there are myriad, some are almost new game in itself, like Multiverse.
Slay the Spire is very good game.
Guild of Dungeoneering was a very fun game till third DLC onward, they were too imbalanced.
Dicey Dungeons is lighthearted fun game. Unless you play the Witch or Robot...
I'm noticing a running theme in your selection of games there. :) FTL is the only one of those I currently have, and I've logged 578 hours into it, so it makes me curious to see how Into the Breach plays, since it's made by the same people. ItB is one I'd definitely like to record myself playing a first look kind of video for. :)

I wouldn't mind doing an FTL recording too; I saw a comment from someone who called it a "war crimes simulator in space," and it gave me the idea of doing some kind of "Geneva Convention run" where I try to do everything as ethically as possible (answer all distress calls, accept all surrenders, etc) and see if I can win like that. In fact, FTL is a simple enough game, I might try streaming it live if I do that. My computer kind of sucks, and it usually gets all jerky if I try to stream anything live, which is why I usually pre-record my videos, but I might be able to get away with an FTL stream.

In the meantime, I did a recording of Carrion yesterday, the "reverse horror game" where you play as the monster terrorizing the humans. It's fun, but there's pretty graphic violence in it, so it may not be for everyone. I had a tough time deciding whether or not to age-restrict it, since the violence is pretty cartoonish, but it's also very bloody. I notice that Markiplier's video has 15 million views and isn't age-restricted, so maybe it's okay? I dunno.
Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin »

If you enjoy FTL, check out "Crying Suns" and "Trigon: Space Story" Not my gem, but people like them.

Another game I haven't played, but really enjoyed watching was "Death Road to Canada".
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas »

Tormuse wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:15 amI'm noticing a running theme in your selection of games there. :) FTL is the only one of those I currently have, and I've logged 578 hours into it, so it makes me curious to see how Into the Breach plays, since it's made by the same people. ItB is one I'd definitely like to record myself playing a first look kind of video for. :)
ItB is best described as a tactical puzzle game. The game will show you all of the enemy's moves in advance, and your turn consists of using your units to eliminate or manipulate the enemy units to protect critical targets (or, depending on how things are going, minimizing the damage). At its best, it most resembles a choreographed dance between your units and the enemy's, and it is a blast to play especially when things are going right.

As for some other recommendations:

Rogue Legacy is a bit of an oldie at this point, but combines Roguelike with Metroidvania, along with a dash of generational progression. I had heard mention of a sequel but as far as I'm aware it hasn't materialized yet.

Terraria is my hands-down favorite crafting style game. With the Journey's End update a couple years back, the game has a proper creative mode now as well as a whole host of difficulty adjustments that can be made, so if you played it years ago it's well worth coming back to again.

If I can think of more, I'll post them here. VNs are not really my cup of tea, nor did I ever get much into the immersive craze, especially with the penchant for horror that so many of them lean into.
Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin »

Rogue Legacy 2 is out from early this year.
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas »

Huh, I'm clearly poorly informed and will have to check that out too.
Tormuse
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Tormuse »

I've decided to try the above-mentioned "Geneva Convention run" of FTL. In fact, I'm gonna do it live, and I'll be starting at this link in a few minutes. :) Constraints for this challenge are listed in the video description.