Starting a blind playthrough of Star Control Origins (with videos! No spoilers, please)

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Re: Starting a blind playthrough of Star Control Origins (with videos! No spoilers, please)

Post by The Troglodyte »

Hey Tormuse! I've noticed that you've mentioned some planet-side observations, such as the weird names assigned to robots like "Turret_Critter_Sentry" or similar-looking names, plus you've encountered some heavy stun resistant animals that take like a hundred shots to take down as you watch their health deplete one pixel at a time.

I believe these are both examples of what to me looks like an unfinished product, or a lack of editorial development resulting in some glitches and otherwise unintended results and messages. Unfortunately, as I've continued my progress in the game, these have continued to pop up from time to time, but not in major ways. However, there is more down the road in the overall story that you might judge as unfinished; just a fair warning.

I've also seen some graphics glitches on the surface, especially on planets with higher amounts of vegetation, but it may be that my computer doesn't have as good of a processor and graphics card as yours, plus there were also some other places where some of the aliens (even in some featured battles) may have inadvertently glitched in such a way that made them looked "cloaked", and I believe you saw an example of that with some Greegrox in a system that were glitching partially invisible in similar fashion.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh
Tormuse
Arilou wiseguy

Re: Starting a blind playthrough of Star Control Origins (with videos! No spoilers, please)

Post by Tormuse »

Well, it's nice to know I'm not the only one experiencing those graphical glitches on vegetation-rich planets, though I still haven't ruled out the possibility that there's just some issue with my graphics card, because I'm sure those glitches weren't there when I first started the game. And yeah, the issue of the glitched names and weirdly strong critters suggests to me that the game got a little too bloated with extra stuff as they tried to populate every star system with things to do, and they just weren't able to test it all. It's not a deal-breaker, by any means.

As for the story, well... if I do go up against this superweapon now, and that's the end of the game, that would be a disappointing ending after all the build-up, but that remains to be seen, so I'll reserve judgment until next time.
palmpet
Reborn Shofixti
Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.

Post by palmpet »

Oh hang on you have hard to kill critters? Oof wish I had seen, thats Lander Armor Mark 2.
"What's the point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes."
Tormuse
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Tormuse »

palmpet wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:37 am Oh hang on you have hard to kill critters? Oof wish I had seen, thats Lander Armor Mark 2.
Oh, having the armour equipped causes those things to spawn? Huh, I guess that checks out. What a weird bug.
Tormuse
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Tormuse »

Video 17 is here.

Welp... I sought out the Scryve's "superweapon," which turned out to not be that at all, but some kind of portal that allows the "Xraki" to "return..." which is... kind of odd story-telling. It's implied that they're worse than the Scryve, and that the Xraki themselves are working for another race that's somehow even worse than them? (The so-called "Gluttonous Eyes")

I'm reminded of a video essay I watched not too long ago about Steven Moffat, who was the showrunner of Doctor Who for a while, as well as BBC's Sherlock, among other things. They said he's good at writing individual episodes, but not the best for running a whole series, because with him, everything always has to get progressively bigger and bigger and more and more ridiculous. This feels a bit like that. You're saying the Xraki are worse than a race of genocidal dictators who control a galaxy-spanning empire? And the Gluttonous Eyes are worse than agents of chaos bent on destroying everything? (Who nevertheless are somehow organized enough to have spent thousands of years working together for the sole purpose of making machines of war?) Like... I get that the writers wanted to raise the stakes...? I guess? But the way they're going about it feels weird.

I also don't get where the Xraki are returning from. My understanding is that during the original incident, after communicating with whatever was on the other side of the portal, all Xraki everywhere on board all of the Scryve ships, turned on their former masters, which led to a war that killed billions, and the Scryve defeated them, in part, with the help of the Pinthi. That suggests that the Xraki were wiped out. How does that fit with this notion that the Xraki just spent thousands of years building up their armies to attack, now that the portal is (re?)opened? Did their race collectively retreat through the portal or something? And if this is something the Scryve were expecting could happen, why didn't they just destroy the portal?

I dunno... I'll wait and see where this goes, but as it is, this feels confusing, and leaves a lot of unanswered questions.

Also, sorry for the abrupt cut-off at the end of the video; the game crashed, but I was so close to where I was planning to end it anyway, that I decided not to bother editing it to add on an ending.
palmpet
Reborn Shofixti

Post by palmpet »

I don't know why the dialogue option "Are you the Xraki?" Came up, thats very weird, as I actually remeber getting the lore about them from the Measured but on my recording the option that came up was the much more sensible "Who are you?"

Also to my understanding, I don't think the Xraki work for the Gluttonous Eyes, they are possesed or influenced by them, so if the Xraki are here thats pretty much the gluttons eyes. The Gluttonous Eyes aren't really a bigger threat than the Xraki because the Xraki are the means with which they threaten. When you finish the game I'll explain my comprehension of what their confusing explanations mean. Personally I understood where the dialogue options were coming from in the chat with them.
Tormuse
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Tormuse »

Video 18 is here.

I finished off the last Xraki fleet, recovered the alternate Pinthi, and then went to each of the locations that the Precursor stations told me about for each of their optional objectives. Considering that I didn't even get the Precursor objectives until after the Xraki revealed themselves, I expected them to be late-game stuff, and while a few of them related to the Scryve and Xraki, they mostly felt more like random assorted asides that the devteam didn't know where to fit anywhere else. (Also, Commander Skyla was awfully pushy about asking me to get on with the story, considering that these optional objectives weren't even available until now)
palmpet wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:42 pm I don't know why the dialogue option "Are you the Xraki?" Came up, thats very weird, as I actually remeber getting the lore about them from the Measured but on my recording the option that came up was the much more sensible "Who are you?"
Yeah, I think the game could generally have done with another pass by the devteam to clear up anomalies in the dialogue regarding the order you do things in.
palmpet
Reborn Shofixti

Post by palmpet »

Yeah those starbases locations were DLC, meant to be kind of an endgame reward thing. Weird they unlock when they do. Also worth noting that, going and finishing the Xraki doesn't end the game permanently. Can still do optional stuff after.
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas »

Tormuse wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:20 pmI'm reminded of a video essay I watched not too long ago about Steven Moffat, who was the showrunner of Doctor Who for a while, as well as BBC's Sherlock, among other things. They said he's good at writing individual episodes, but not the best for running a whole series, because with him, everything always has to get progressively bigger and bigger and more and more ridiculous. This feels a bit like that. You're saying the Xraki are worse than a race of genocidal dictators who control a galaxy-spanning empire? And the Gluttonous Eyes are worse than agents of chaos bent on destroying everything? (Who nevertheless are somehow organized enough to have spent thousands of years working together for the sole purpose of making machines of war?) Like... I get that the writers wanted to raise the stakes...? I guess? But the way they're going about it feels weird.
Reminds me of SC3's Eternal Ones and how the end of that game was set up. You spend the entire game battling against the Crux, and mostly just hearing about the big bad Ploxis who run that show but barely encountering them. Then right at the end after you've dismantled the Crux and are confronting the Ploxis leader for the final showdown, he springs the previously hinted at "oh, the Eternal Ones are coming and they make the Crux seem like chumps, good luck with armageddon!" twist. Then the Heralds show up with a sizable fleet, but even before you fight them they say "We're just the Heralds, the Eternal Ones are even worse, good luck with armageddon!", which makes them feel like sort of filler bad guys since they didn't want you to actually talk to the cosmic horror I guess? But since you don't end up actually fighting the Eternal Ones, they are actually the final boss I guess. If you've played the game to completion (sorry for your loss) this makes sense in that context, without it it probably sounds like a lot of nonsense, but the overall structure is a similar bigger and bigger escalation of stakes, even when it might not have been necessary nor did the story benefit from it.

It is a bad sign in my book that this is the second major plot point I've been able to directly compare to SC3, a notoriously poorly written game in many respects.
Tormuse wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:17 amI finished off the last Xraki fleet, recovered the alternate Pinthi, and then went to each of the locations that the Precursor stations told me about for each of their optional objectives. Considering that I didn't even get the Precursor objectives until after the Xraki revealed themselves, I expected them to be late-game stuff, and while a few of them related to the Scryve and Xraki, they mostly felt more like random assorted asides that the devteam didn't know where to fit anywhere else. (Also, Commander Skyla was awfully pushy about asking me to get on with the story, considering that these optional objectives weren't even available until now)
I hate when games do this, this is hardly the first one I've seen that tries to inject artificial tension by aggressively pushing you toward the finale even though it literally just opened up more content elsewhere. Mass Effect 2 springs immediately to mind; the loyalty quests for each of your crew members unlock right after the scene where you have to explicitly reject starting the final scenario and you're told not to dally because time is critical and people's lives are at stake. It's especially galling in that game because if you don't take the time to finish those loyalty quests, you're guaranteeing that your crew ends up not making it home, whereas the people you are presumably rushing to save will be fine no matter how much or little time you take getting to them.

My assumption is that Origins does not have multiple endings nor a timer. I wish devs wouldn't try to pretend otherwise when that's the case.
krulle
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by krulle »

The StarBase side objectives are that, just side objectives.
They are not related to the main plot, besides being triggered by them.

IIRC, they've been added to the game later, in DLCs, so that the main plot elements of the DLC don't feel as rip-offs, and provide more playstuff....