Microsoft acquisition

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Microsoft acquisition

Post by Draxas »

For those who have not heard, yesterday Microsoft confirmed that it made a nearly $69 billion deal to acquire Activision Blizzard. Above all else, I am of course wondering just how this will impact everyone's favorite developers.

Presumably this means that Toys for Bob will become a subsidiary of Microsoft as well, since they had previously been acquired by Activision. But I can't help but wonder what (if anything) the new corporate overlords might have in store. First thing that springs to mind is if Microsoft will allow them to continue to exist or simply liquidate the studio. Assuming they are allowed to continue, will Microsoft respect anything they have been doing up until now? Will they allow TFB to work on the SC sequel, or force them to can it and work on other things? Will they allow the status quo to hold, or will they bury UQM in cease and desist orders? I'm not sure anyone has these answers (and the folks with all the power here are certainly thinking of other things right now), nor are we likely to get them anytime soon since this deal could take up to a year and a half to conclude based on their estimates. Still, these are the thoughts that weigh on my mind when I read about this.

What is everyone else's take?
Serosis
Silly Supox

Re: Microsoft acquisition

Post by Serosis »

TFB has nothing to do with UQM or UQM2 as it is Paul & Fred who hold all the copyrights.
Paul & Fred left TFB around 2017 and Activision subsequently piloted TFB into the ground by making it yet another studio that works on Call of Duty.
I think P&F are developing UQM2 under the "Frungy Games" name, but don't quote me on that.

There is nothing to worry about in regards to Microsoft trying to get a piece of the UQM pie.
The only company that we'd have to worry about is Stardock.
Get The Ur-Quan Masters MegaMod HERE
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas »

Well, I clearly am a bit behind on that part of the news. I suppose it is both heartening and disappointing to know TFB's ultimate fate, I'm guessing Microsoft will probably liquidate them if they are just another supplementary studio for CoD. At least UQM and any sequel are distanced from whatever is going to go down.
Serosis
Silly Supox

Post by Serosis »

You never know, it' entirely possible that Microsoft can redirect TFB to work on the stuff they used to like Crash Bandicoot and Skylanders.
Get The Ur-Quan Masters MegaMod HERE
krulle
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by krulle »

didn't know they left TFB....
Thanks for that piece of information.

But I did know that F&P owned the IP privately (since they kept out of TFB) and have been working on UQM2 on their own name, risk and efforts.
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas »

I knew they owned the IP as well, though I did think it was through TFB. I was also getting at the idea that if they were still with TFB, their new bosses would not allow them the leeway to work on other projects. Neither is an actual concern I suppose.