[SPOILERS] *THEM*: manifestations and forms

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Stickman_king_28
Orz *camper*

[SPOILERS] *THEM*: manifestations and forms

Post by Stickman_king_28 »

alright
so we already know that *they* could be orz, or be from the same place as orz.
(XRAKI FORERUNNERS HAHA SCO)
However, I am pretty sure that the arilou and orz mention *them* in many diffrent ways. anyone know where and when? Are they related to *nngn*? WHO KNOWS?
Inter-dimensional fatigue monsters/nightmare fuel could be orz themselves OR their *siblings*.

oh heck
my forum title is androsynth scientist
you know what happens next

EDIT: also burkowski could have been saying something about knowing too much and/or doing something with that knowledge could awaken *them*.
hmm kinda like call of Cthulhu or something?

EDIT 2: Quote I found, related to the report from the surface:
HE SAID THAT NO ONE COULD EVER KNOW WHAT HE HAD LEARNED. THAT JUST KNOWING WAS ENOUGH TO ALERT 'THEM'
HE KEPT TALKING ABOUT 'THEM', CRAZY STUFF, SIR, ABOUT HOW 'THEY' COULD SEE HIM NOW, AND 'THEY' WERE MOVING TOWARD HIM. THEN BUKOWSKI STARTED THRASHING AROUND THE ROOM, SCREAMING THAT HE HAD TO DESTROY EVERYTHING BEFORE 'THEY' SAW US TOO.
Y'know, mass effect is pretty similar to star control! wait, no...

wait, kinda?
Borgie
Hunam adventurer

Re: [SPOILERS] *THEM*: manifestations and forms

Post by Borgie »

I may be over-complicating this but, I'm pretty sure the Orz are also overly complicated.
My personal understanding is they are one "manifestation" of their species. "*Them*" could be a different, uh... "manifestation" of the "same" entity/entities.

(I'm using quotes a lot. Should I switch to asterisks pairs?)

Suffice to say, I do not believe that you can think of *them* in terms that necessarily make sense to us. It could be that if *them* wake/wakes up the Orz change, or a new species comes to *play*, or the universe gets eaten.

Okay, I knew what I was saying when I started this post, but now I realize that I've got no clue.
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas »

I always liked the theory that the Orz and "Them" are two separate entities, and the Orz in fact really don't like "Them" very much at all. The gist is that the Orz aren't responsible for doing anything to the Androsynth, they just took advantage of the breach created when the Androsynth were attacked by "Them" to jump over into Truespace, quite possibly to escape "Them." It goes a long way toward explaining why the Orz get so violent when discussing the Androsynth (versus everyone else, where they just nonchalantly and joyfully discuss violence), it's a traumatic memory of their escape and they don't want anyone to figure out how to open another breach to send them back or allow "Them" to pass through. It also explains why Burkowski didn't just identify his attackers as Orz, because they are something else entirely. After all, just because the Orz are a semi-sinister extradimensional entity (presumably, and at least some of that stems from the fact that they are so hard to understand), doesn't necessarily make them malicious, nor does it mean they are alone in that regard.
Stickman_king_28
Orz *camper*

My Headcannon is uh
orz are *fingers* and *arms* of *them*

wait, kinda?
krulle
Reborn Shofixti

Post by krulle »

The creators that be have confirmed that the Orz are just projections (*fingers*) of one being. All Orz are ultimately the same being, just different *fingers* of the same, which still lives in that other *below* reality.
Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin »

What could also be possible, that the singular entity ORZ found the inter-dimentional breach and while some other entity was absorbing Androsynth, ORZ transported a portion of them elsewhere. Now IT gets angry upon queries of the clones, because any knowledge/information can lead to re-discovery of Vulpeculeans by other beings from BELOW/ABOVE.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.
Stickman_king_28
Orz *camper*

according to the wiki theyre malevolent
what malevolent stuff would they do?

wait, kinda?
Stickman_king_28
Orz *camper*

sorry for doublepost but I found the entire ship log:
---- REPORT FROM SURFACE ----
XENO-HISTORIAN KILGORE HERE, SIR. WE HAVE CONFIRMED THAT THESE RUINS ARE THE REMNANTS OF THE
ANDROSYNTH CULTURE. FROM THE MASS DESTRUCTION WE HAVE WITNESSED, WE CAN ONLY ASSUME THAT THERE
WAS SOME KIND OF HUGE LAND WAR HERE WITHIN THE PAST FIVE YEARS; HOWEVER, THERE IS NO, REPEAT,
NO SIGNS OF ORBITAL BOMBARDMENT OR INVASION FROM SPACE... JUST A WHOLE MESS OF BUILDINGS SHOT
TO PIECES. PROBABLY THE WEIRDEST THING WE HAVE SEEN, OR NOT SEEN, ARE CORPSES... THERE AREN'T
ANY! IT'S AS THOUGH SOMETHING APPEARED OUT OF NOWHERE, BLASTED EVERYTHING WITH NUCLEAR BAZOOKAS,
THEN GRABBED ALL THE ANDROSYNTH AND DISAPPEARED.

AN ADDITIONAL REPORT SIR, THIS TIME FROM SCIENCE OFFICER BUKOWSKI -- WE HAVE LOCATED AN
ANDROSYNTH SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH STATION AND I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO MAKE SOME SENSE OUT OF WHAT
IS LEFT OF THEIR CENTRAL COMPUTER. AS FAR AS I CAN TELL, ABOUT SEVEN YEARS AGO, THE ANDROSYNTH
BEGAN EXPERIMENTING WITH SOMETHING THEY CALLED DIMENSIONAL FATIGUE PHENOMENA. I CAN'T FIGURE
OUT WHAT THIS DIMENSIONAL FATIGUE (OR DF AS THEY CALL IT) IS, BUT MAYBE IF WE EXPLORED ANOTHER
CITY, I WOULD BE ABLE TO FIND MORE INFORMATION ON THIS SUBJECT.
---- END OF REPORT ----

BUKOWSKI AGAIN, SIR. WE HAVE FOUND ANOTHER RESEARCH INSTITUTE. WELL, THE RUINS OF ONE, ANYWAY.
THE COMPUTER HERE'S IN BETTER SHAPE, ALLOWING ME TO LEARN A BIT MORE ABOUT THE ANDROSYNTH'S
INVESTIGATION INTO DF, DIMENSIONAL FATIGUE.
IT WOULD APPEAR THAT THEIR STUDIES ACTUALLY BEGAN OVER TEN YEARS AGO, AFTER ONE OF THEIR
BLAZER VESSELS DISCOVERED SOME PRECURSOR ARTIFACTS IN ALPHA LALANDE. AS FAR AS THEIR
SCIENTISTS HERE COULD TELL, THE DEVICES GENERATED DF WAVES WHICH WOULD ALLOW THE USER TO SEE
INTO OTHER... WELL, OTHER DIMENSIONS -- REALMS OF EXISTENCE WHICH SHARE POSITION WITH OUR OWN
UNIVERSE, BUT HAVE A DIFFERENT... GEE, WHAT SHOULD I CALL IT... REALITY PHASE. ANYWAY, THE
ANDROSYNTH HAD HOPED THAT THE DIMENSIONAL FATIGUE TECHNOLOGY CONTAINED IN THE DEVICES WOULD
PERMIT THEM TO CREATE NEW, FASTER FORMS OF HYPERDRIVE AND HYPERWAVE. INSTEAD, WHEN THEY BEGAN
THEIR EXPERIMENTS, THEY MADE CONTACT WITH SOME KIND OF LIFEFORM ON `THE OTHER SIDE', A CREATURE
FROM AN ALIEN DIMENSION.

AGAIN, THE RECORD IS FRAGMENTARY HERE. I SEE REQUESTS TO THE CENTRAL COMPUTER FOR INFORMATION
-- DATA ON `REALITY ABERRATIONS', THE `MOSQUITO MANGE' AND, WELL... GHOSTS, POLTERGEISTS, AND
OTHER MALEVOLENT, SUPERNATURAL CREATURES. THE REQUESTS GROW MORE URGENT, ALMOST FRANTIC, AND
THEN... THE RECORD ENDS.
---- END OF REPORT ----

CAPTAIN, THIS IS ENSIGN HAWTHORNE STANDING IN FOR BUKOWSKI. SIR, BUKOWSKI HAS FOUND SOMETHING,
BUT... WELL... IN THE PROCESS HE HAS GONE KIND OF NUTS.
WHEN WE FIRST GOT TO THIS DEMOLISHED CITY, BUKOWSKI WENT WILD BECAUSE THE SCIENCE CENTER WAS
PRETTY MUCH INTACT. HE LOCKED HIMSELF IN THEIR COMPUTER CONTROL CABIN AND SPENT ABOUT TEN
HOURS ALONE IN THERE. WE COULD HEAR HIM MUMBLING TO HIMSELF, THEN HIS SPEECH GOT LOUDER UNTIL
HE WAS ALMOST SHOUTING, AND SIR, HE WAS SCARED, DAMN SCARED.
WE FINALLY DECIDED THAT WE'D BETTER CHECK UP ON HIM, BUT BUKOWSKI, WOULDN'T LET US INTO THE
ROOM. HE SAID THAT NO ONE COULD EVER KNOW WHAT HE HAD LEARNED -- THAT JUST KNOWING WAS ENOUGH
TO ALERT `THEM'. HE KEPT TALKING ABOUT `THEM' -- CRAZY STUFF, SIR, ABOUT HOW `THEY' COULD SEE
HIM NOW, AND `THEY' WERE MOVING TOWARD HIM. THEN BUKOWSKI STARTED THRASHING AROUND THE ROOM,
SCREAMING THAT HE HAD TO DESTROY EVERYTHING BEFORE `THEY' SAW US TOO. HE DID A LOT OF DAMAGE
TO THE ANDROSYNTH'S COMPUTER BEFORE WE STOPPED HIM, AND I GUESS HE MUST HAVE HURT HIMSELF IN
THE PROCESS. HE'S CUT UP PRETTY BADLY. YOU KNOW, IT'S STRANGE, HE MUST HAVE HURT HIMSELF
WORSE THAN I THOUGHT. NOW, WHEN I LOOK AT HIM, IT SEEMS LIKE HE HAS EVEN MORE CUTS THAN JUST
A FEW MINUTES AGO, AND BOY, IS HE SCREAMING!

BASED ON THE DAMAGE BUKOWSKI WREAKED ON THE CENTRAL COMPUTER, I DON'T BELIEVE THAT WE WILL
FIND ANYTHING MORE DOWN HERE. I THINK WE HAVE LEARNED ALL THAT WE CAN FROM EXPLORING THESE
RUINS, AND FRANKLY SIR, WITH ALL OF BUKOWSKI'S RANTING, I'M GETTING A BIT NERVOUS MYSELF.
CALL US BACK TO THE SHIP SOON... PLEASE.
---- END OF REPORT ----

wait, kinda?
Borgie
Hunam adventurer

Post by Borgie »

Stickman_king_28 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:02 pm JUST A WHOLE MESS OF BUILDINGS SHOT
TO PIECES. PROBABLY THE WEIRDEST THING WE HAVE SEEN, OR NOT SEEN, ARE CORPSES... THERE AREN'T
ANY! IT'S AS THOUGH SOMETHING APPEARED OUT OF NOWHERE, BLASTED EVERYTHING WITH NUCLEAR BAZOOKAS,
THEN GRABBED ALL THE ANDROSYNTH AND DISAPPEARED.
Maybe this has been said before, but what if all of the building damage was caused by the Androsynths themselves, trying to shoot at something ethereal (Like the Orz "before" they arrived, or even something else. Whatever Bukowski saw).
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas »

That was always my interpretation. Based on the Bukowski incident, whatever was attacking isn't using projectile weapons. The weapons damage to everything always seemed like the Androsynth trying in vain to defend themselves.