I'm getting Origins

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Re: I'm getting Origins

Post by Alvarin » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:57 pm

The "Phamysht" have absolutely amazing voice acting.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:49 pm

Against my better judgment, I actually played the game because I wanted to know how much was reused from the previous installement.

Here are a few things:
1) the gameplay itself is okay at best, lander is horrible, combat dynamics are weird, exploration in general is okay
2) The aliens are extremely well crafted, but the quests around them are thin... None of them were blatant copies of any of the original races that we know and love...
3) the story itself is full of future plot point and is not too shaby...could have been way better, but it's not that bad

4) the overall game seems buggy and in need of a lot of polishing. The overall level of quality is on par with a lot of open source games or indie projects.
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:55 pm

glory_device wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:49 pm
Against my better judgment, I actually played the game because I wanted to know how much was reused from the previous installement.

Here are a few things:
1) the gameplay itself is okay at best, lander is horrible, combat dynamics are weird, exploration in general is okay
2) The aliens are extremely well crafted, but the quests around them are thin... None of them were blatant copies of any of the original races that we know and love...
3) the story itself is full of future plot point and is not too shaby...could have been way better, but it's not that bad

4) the overall game seems buggy and in need of a lot of polishing. The overall level of quality is on par with a lot of open source games or indie projects.
This is an interesting take, and not one that anyone else here has addressed. A lot of these items seem to speak to what was shaping up to be a polished game, suddenly rushed through development to a release state. Can't help but wonder if that had something to do with trying to strengthen a lawsuit position, but that's base speculation on my part. It would fit the pattern, though.

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:04 pm

Something like that might make sense yes. The other possibility: we wanted to tell a story and the underlying gameplay behind the storytelling wasn't a priority. They might come around and polish and I know that they want to tell additionnal story along the way (and give modding possibilites...) but the core gameplay seemded indeed rushed and with a crucial lack of QA.

I red reviews here and there on the web, and they all point out the same thing. They however give more credit to the combat system than I do, but then I was spoiled with Shiver's expertise and knowledge on the subject (ship balance is horrible and the handling of the ship is so weiiiiird)

Anyhoo!
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

krulle
Ilwrath spawn

Post by krulle » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:53 am

Actually, from what I saw in the Let's Play videos, I liked the combat mode to limit the time it takes to fight.
Advantageous for the Human player against an AI, as the game does it by making the "toxic boundary" smaller and smaller, so that the contestants have to meet near the planet and thus you can't play "try to catch me".
It's a nice way to limit the battle fighting time.

I dislike the amount of improvements which appear in the battle arena, though.
And the worm-hole in the battle arena??? Okay, I'll chalk that up to "we have to make it substantially dissimilar from a certain previous game".