Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:09 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: The Chmmr Avatar
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:52 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

krulle wrote:
BTW, have you ever tried to find the maximum speed the zapsats can fly?
Using the gravity whip, the Avatar itself can fly faster than its ZapSats.

There's no real tactical use for that, though....

I did monitor it a few times during my simulations. Whenever the Avatar passed close to the planet, the orbit of the ZapSats would alter, as if the entire ring shifted as they fell behind, but sometimes, those times when the planet pass was extremely close, it would affect one of the ZapSats moreso, that being the one which had crossed over the planet during its orbit, and it would get bumped back towards the next ZapSat following its trail, and then they would rejoin their synchronous orbits as they finished clearing the planet.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:27 pm 
Atum-ta the Sixth

It is most obvious on those rare occasions when an Avatar gets involved in one of those super ricochets. The ship ends up repulsing away so fast that the Zapsats can end up trailing behind it by half a fully zoomed out screen, which is pretty crazy to watch. They also end up in a very long, thin oval as they try to catch up. Of course, trying to repulse like this on purpose is basically impossible to set up, so it's only something you might see by chance.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:59 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Challenge accepted!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:34 am 
Atum-ta the Sixth

I should have known better than to make that kind of claim. Don't spend too much time on it please. :P-smf

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8