Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:54 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Chmmr Avatar
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:03 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

One of the most overall takeaways from the Syreen as a created species is how they brazenly represent double meanings of innuendo, many of which are rather risqué, which is then layered with overtones of innocence which try to glaze over some of the more obvious provocative levels of promiscuity.

Well, let’s see how the Chmmr handle the Syreen’s archenemy, the Mycon, shall we?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“You have taken something from us which we value… which is important to Juffo-Wup. Return the Solar Manipulator.” - Mycon

14 Chmmr Avatars (14 x 30 = 420 pts.)
VS.
14 Mycon Podships
(14 x 21 = 294 pts.)

RESULTS: Chmmr wins with 12 remaining Avatars!
Approximate battle time: 6 minutes.

ANALYSIS:
Mormont wrote:
AI is bad even at just using the Chmmr's tractor beam. It'll constantly hold it down even when fuel is empty, when it usually works better in smaller bursts.

Mormont’s observations were very much in play during this match-up: The Chmmr needed to pull the Mycon towards them in with their Tractor Beam, and they kept an electrical arc firmly pressing (or zapping, as the case may be) on the beam’s button, but it had a much more limited effect on the Podship due to its size, as well as it constantly kept thrusting away from the tractor’s pull, and it drained the stubborn Avatar’s battery supply as it drew in closer, but this left them with little power to unleash once it was in range. Still, their super-quick recharge factor is tremendous, so they had no trouble cutting the Podships down to size once they were in range. This technique wasn’t without its downside, however, since the Mycon can still defend themselves, and unleashing 2 Homing Plasmoids in a row usually meant death for at least one ZapSat, which would wear the Avatar’s defenses down, and it soon became vulnerable to follow-up attacks; huge hits started happening with 1 or 2 satellites missing whenever the plasmoids finally made it through the exposed orbital window. The crew regeneration process kept the Mycon in the fight longer for the most part, but it sometimes backfired when they used it whenever the Avatar was closing in, the replenished pod-mates were quickly snuffed away seconds later by the powerful Terawatt laser.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by The Troglodyte on Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:40 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

krulle wrote:
But Odysseus' Sirens also had no ropes hanging into the water so that crew could pull themselves in.
And the ship jumpers had quite a current to beat, according to the story.

The sirens didn't want the crew alive - they were happy to eat them drowned. The Syreen are pickier.

Also, I don't remember a current - you're not thinking of Charybdis, are you? (that goes with Scylla, not Sirens).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:43 pm 
Atum-ta the Sixth

krulle wrote:
The Syreen are seriously underpowered this way (IMHO). And their stiletto heel is really week. (At school we loved imagining a line of Syreens standing at the bow and breaking of the heels of their new stilettos and feeding the heels to the gun. Or the reverse: stealing the munition to attach to their navy-issued flat shoes to make stilettos. Who came up with the name for that gun???)

A stiletto also refers to a type of knife, one with a long, thin blade (which is where the heel took its name from). I always assumed the weapon was named more for the knife, with the usual double innuendo that is par for the course with the Syreen.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:13 pm 
Pkunk Captain

Oh. dang.

I fear I really mixed that up with the Scylla/Charybdis element of the story.
Well, most of these small islands have hefty currents, but they are indeed not really mentioned in the Odysse. My bad, thanks for correcting me.

Also forgot about the stiletto (knife).

I fear this pinterest image will be accessible for others...

Search google images for high heel stiletto knife....

Last edited by krulle on Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:14 pm 
Yehat Revolutionist

krulle wrote:
The Syreen are seriously underpowered this way (IMHO). And their stiletto heel is really week. (At school we loved imagining a line of Syreens standing at the bow and breaking of the heels of their new stilettos and feeding the heels to the gun. Or the reverse: stealing the munition to attach to their navy-issued flat shoes to make stilettos. Who came up with the name for that gun???)

The Stiletto is actually rather useful against some faster vessels. Secondary fire will drain the enemy's health until the low damage isn't an issue. Then, the high rate-of-fire and projectile speed, low energy cost (for infinite firing) and the ship's high turn rate combine to make it a very good fly-swatter. Nevertheless, much like the Glory Device, it was never meant to be the primary armament, and it acts accordingly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:20 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

These are some great Syreen observations! But perhaps it’s about time to steer it back to the Avatar, since it is the topic. Besides, I’m hoping in my game I’ll soon unlock access to my own Syreen ships, and, if everything works out, we’ll be delving into a more thorough discussion about them at that time. (or we could split the topic… I mean, I’m not the topic maker master or anything ;))
“YOU ARE INTENT ON STOPPING THE UR-QUAN... VERY WELL.” – Chmmr

VS.
14 Ur-Quan Dreadnoughts
(14 x 30 = 420 pts.)

RESULTS: Chmmr wins with 2 remaining Avatars!
Approximate battle time: 7 minutes

ANALYSIS: This match-up featured 2 heavy sluggers duking it out, but the power of the Chmmr’s multi-laser attacks, along with the Dreadnoughts’ inability to use their fighters, gave the Avatar fleet a slight edge. However, due to the haphazard nature of the AI’s fighting tendencies, it pretty much looked like 2 amateur heavyweight boxers going at it, each wildly throwing nothing but haymakers, dishing out heavy-hitting blows but offering little in terms of defense.

Once the Avatar managed to line up their laser attack against the front side of the large mass of the Dreadnought… it was usually curtains. The Ur-Quan, on the other hand, usually had to blast past the ZapSats first (unless the previous Dreadnought had taken out some already), which took on the role of bunkers like from the game Space Invaders, but since they’re at full strength (because they’re not sending fighters) the ’noughts could fire the Fusion Bolts as fast as they’d fly, and then they could cut through the defenses and hit the Avatar ship with immense power. There was even one time that an Avatar finished off a Dreadnought, but lost all of their satellite buddies in the fight, and the next Dreadnought arrived and unleashed a huge squadron of fighters to blast the defenseless Avatar.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:46 pm 
Hunam adventurer

krulle wrote:
And had a chance of actually reaching the Syreen/Sirens if they would use a jetpack to build a bit more speed.
Or a kind of tractor beam for the Syreen to pull in the hapless new crew, without actually having to fly across them.

But Odysseus' Sirens also had no ropes hanging into the water so that crew could pull themselves in.
And the ship jumpers had quite a current to beat, according to the story.

A slight ship modification in this regard would've been nice between SC1 and SC2.

The Syreen are seriously underpowered this way (IMHO).

Syreen isn't underpowered. A well-crewed Penetrator is scary and at mid-low tier points it should be tricky to get there (the balance mod weakened them a bit in fact).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:24 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

“We are the Ur-Quan Kohr-Ah. Our nature, the fulfillment of our fate… requires your destruction.” – Kohr-Ah

VS.
14 Kohr-Ah Marauders
(14 x 30 = 420 pts.)

RESULTS: Chmmr wins with 2 remaining Avatars!
Approximate battle time: 7 minutes

ANALYSIS: Similar to the skirmish with the Dreadnoughts, this was another one that was evenly matched, although it seemed mostly due to the Avatar’s inability to take the initiative. The Chmmr used their Tractor Beam sparingly, and only when their energy was peaked or when a new Marauder entered the fight far off and away, as opposed to a more ideal situation, like, for example, after the two ship’s noses collided with one another, which would’ve been recommended to pull the Kohr-Ah vessel back into range and finish it off with the Terawatt Laser Cannon.

The Kohr-Ah should have performed better as well, but we all know how persistent the AI is about chasing, so instead the Marauders relied on their brute strength to slug it out with the Avatars, and they used their plasma ring attack on initial approach or whenever they had enough energy for a big attack. The Spinning Blades were also slicing away at the Avatars’ hulls on a fairly consistent basis; the ZapSats were virtually useless against F.R.I.E.D. attacks or the blades, and they were often eliminated by the Kohr-Ah’s weaponry. Like I said before, all in all a very even match, but the Avatar had an advantage when their laser was lined up correctly.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:22 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

“Okay, okay. Now this isn’t really a question, but let’s say you WERE going to talk about the Androsynth. If you were, what would you say?” – Captain Zelnick

VS.
14 Androsynth Guardians
(14 x 15 = 210 pts.)

Chmmr wins with 11 remaining Avatars!
Approximate battle time: 4 minutes

ANALYSIS: The Androsynth looked more like they were implementing an actual strategy, and it didn’t look half bad. They moved slowly towards the opposing Avatar, or sometimes a little faster if they we’re getting some pull from a tractor beam, and they deployed some bubbles with half of their battery and then followed that up with a quick comet conversion to ram the Chmmr vessel as the surrounding bubbles moved in as well. Yeah, it looked nice and everything as it gave an outward appearance that the Androsynth were going to overwhelm the Avatar with their dramatic combination attacks, but their effectiveness was in fact only superficial, and although this technique of theirs kept the ZapSats busy to the point that they eventually succumbed to the bubbles’ damage output (or by being rammed), but it cost them dearly in terms of clone casualties. Without much need to use the tractor beam continuously, the Avatars had no trouble cutting the comets in half, even if they had to do so after the Guardian had just bounced off their hull.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:22 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

If Chmmr is chasing, bubble and run beats bubble and ram. If Chmmr is not chasing, ram alone is much better.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next