The Shofixti Scout

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Re: The Shofixti Scout

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:28 pm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After the Utwig match, I quickly discovered I’m running short on ‘shield’ quotes, so…

“Oh, I’m afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive.” - Emperor Palpatine, Return of the Jedi
14 Shofixti Scouts (14 x 5 = 70 pts.)
VS.
14 Yehat Terminators
(14 x 23 = 322 pts.)
RESULTS: Yehat wins with 9 remaining Terminators! (Shofixti wins pointwise by 45 points)
Approximate battle time: 7 minutes
Glory Devices used: 10
Deaths caused by Divine Wind: 5

ANALYSIS: There should’ve been 7 kills caused by furball fireballs, but the Shofixti’s reluctance was once again their downfall, and the built-in game mechanics fell short on intuition in a major way, sometimes prolonging the battle at various points without just cause, while I could only sit there and watch the screen, waiting for something to happen to progress things along. I’ll explain: Whenever the Scout would get to a certain distance, which was usually when they had just finished pulling away from a Pulse Cannon attack, sometimes it would stop and then thrust away softly while pivoting back and forth from facing towards the enemy (sometimes firing; sometimes not) and then turn away from it and thrust softly again over and over and over again, keeping their distance but firing in futility upon the Terminator… I could almost picture the bored Yehat shield officer leaning on their winged elbow, while lethargically tapping on the shield button to block the little dart nuisance.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:44 pm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“I love it when someone insults me. That means that I don’t have to be nice anymore.” - Billy Idol
VS.
14 Pkunk Furys
(14 x 20 = 280 pts.)
RESULTS: Pkunk wins with 4 Furys remaining! (Shofixti wins pointwise by 130 points!)
Approximate battle time: 9 minutes
Glory Devices used: 14
Deaths caused by Divine Wind: 10
Pkunk ship resurrections: 4

ANALYSIS: Lots of dancing around in this one, as might have expected, and the Mendosukai Energy Darts were flying about almost as often as the Pkunk’s Molten Metal Pellets, and although the darts did inflict some marginal damage, it was mostly to bait the Fury to move in too close, and with the Pkunk’s unpredictable flying patterns, they would then take a giant bomb to the beak before their weapons could take down the Scout. For the first 5 or 6 ships, there weren’t even any Furys coming back from the dead, so for the first half of the battle I thought that perhaps the Shofixti’s bomb nullified (or greatly diminished the chances for) the resurrection ability, but as it turned out, the reanimated zombie Pkunks started showing up with subsequent glory device usage, but did so in a somewhat peculiar way: As we all know, whenever the Shofixti destroy a foe with their suicidal blast, it plays their victory music (which consequently seems to drown out the ‘Hallelujah!’ bit) but the screen will also remain momentarily centered on the Scout’s last know position, and then the confirmation of the Pkunk life revival action is revealed as the screen scrolling quickly re-centers the focus on the returning Fury right before the computer is allowed to choose their next scout, but I’ll admit at first it was difficult to determine if the was in fact a resurrection or not; just something I had to get used to as I worked feverishly to tally the results.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:26 pm

Well, I was going to move on to the cruiser, but I’ve already conducted battle simulations with the Earthling Cruiser, as seen here, so I’ll be skipping that one. So…
Mulder: “You saw exactly what I saw in the sky tonight. What do you think they were?”
Scully: “Just because I can’t explain it, doesn’t mean I’m gonna believe they were UFOs.”
Mulder: “Unidentified Flying Objects, I think that fits the description pretty well. Tell me I’m crazy.”
Scully: “Mulder, you’re crazy.”
VS.
14 Arilou Skiffs
(14 x 16 = 224 pts.)
RESULTS: Zero survivors! (Shofixti wins pointwise by 154 points!)
Approximate battle time: 2 minutes
Deaths caused by Divine Wind: 14
Arilou Teleportations used: 0

ANALYSIS:
Quasispatial wrote:Whilst its emergency teleporter can sometimes allow it to dodge a Glory Device detonation (I have personally foiled the AI a number of times with this, by teleporting away at just the right moment, and have gotten enough practice to do it semi-reliably by this point)

(From the Arilou Skiff thread) [copy] Quickest battle ever. Here’s the recap: Skiff and Scout head for each other at high speed, get within close range of each other… BOOM! Repeat [13] more [times] and that was it! It’s unfortunate the Arilou’s AI wasn’t aware of the “fake-out teleporter maneuver”! [/paste]

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:50 pm

“First she said we were to keep clear of the Sirens, who sit and sing most beautifully in a field of flowers; but she said I might hear them myself so long as no one else did. Therefore, take me and bind me to the crosspiece half way up the mast; bind me as I stand upright, with a bond so fast that I cannot possibly break away, and lash the rope’s ends to the mast itself. If I beg and pray you to set me free, then bind me more tightly still.” ― Homer, The Odyssey
VS.
14 Syreen Penetrators
(14 x 13 = 182 pts.)
RESULTS: Syreen wins with 10 Penetrators remaining!
Approximate battle time: 7 minutes
Glory Devices used: 8
Deaths caused by Divine Wind: 4
Number of crew depletions (except the captain) through Syreen’s Song: 8
Stiletto Particle Beam kills: 6

ANALYSIS: The Penetrator craft was too fast for the Scouts to put themselves in proper self-bombing position; usually the only time the Shofixti had success was when the planet helped them get close enough. From the Syreen’s point of view, their toughest challenge was taking out the lone Shofixti captain after they had captured the other 5 crew members, but the Scout was always putting itself in danger trying to get near, and they would make the most of getting within medium-range by rapid-firing against the broadside of the Penetrator vessels when they’d get the chance, but this approach more often than not allowed the Syreen to finish off the pesky little nuisance.

Shiver
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Shiver » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:04 am

That shouldn't be happening. It's very hard to take out Shofixti with Syreen. Syreen has only 1 more point of top speed, the barest mobility advantage, and they're using a gun that's difficult to hit anything with vs. the tiniest target. A shameful day for the cyborg.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:00 pm

Shiver wrote:That shouldn't be happening. It's very hard to take out Shofixti with Syreen. Syreen has only 1 more point of top speed, the barest mobility advantage, and they're using a gun that's difficult to hit anything with vs. the tiniest target. A shameful day for the cyborg.
That sums it up well. One thing I’ve noticed in the way the AI handles the Scout is how it doesn’t evaluate the situation and make a determination whether or not it should focus its attention on delivering the bomb or on general combat; it really only seems to deploy the Glory Device only after its conducted an internal check… something like: If target is within radius, activate bomb, otherwise if target is pointing towards you, fire and evade, whereas a human pilot will dedicate themselves to performing a suicide run if they see it as a good viable plan of attack, which the cyborg should’ve done in this situation.
“I visualize a time when we will be to robots what dogs are to humans, and I’m rooting for the machines.” ― Claude Shannon
VS.
14 Mmrnmhrm X-Forms
(14 x 19 = 266 pts.)
RESULTS: Mmrnmhrm wins with 8 remaining X-Forms! (Shofixti wins pointwise by 44 points!)
Approximate battle time: 6 minutes
Deaths caused by Divine Wind: 6

ANALYSIS: The Scout was visibly intimidated when the X-forms was in its… well, its x-form, due to the powerful twin-laser cannons that could cook a Shofixti crew in less than a second! The Shofixti alternatively stayed out of the Mmrnmhrm’s way until they transformed into the y-form, and when they had the chance, they’d position the scout to cross its path and ignite the fast fuse, which should’ve landed 7 ship kills, but one time they used their bomb too early when then X-form in y-form switched over to x-form and began firing directly on the scout, so before they were blasted they blasted themselves, but it left a couple of robots alive, so to speak.

krulle
Ilwrath spawn

Post by krulle » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:25 pm

The Troglodyte wrote: “I visualize a time when we will be to robots what dogs are to humans, and I’m rooting for the machines.” ― Claude Shannon
I fear getting Santa Clause machines....
We'd be post-scarcity then...

Do you, by any chance, know the Freefall webcomic?
It touches the issues of a society where the majority of intelligent beings are robots/AIs, and their desire to help Humans.
In some cases it is the centre of the plot story, sometimes we just get a mention of issues.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:16 pm

krulle wrote:Do you, by any chance, know the Freefall webcomic?
Nope, that was the first time I heard of it, but I checked it out and read a few; looks pretty interesting.
An angler, who gained his livelihood by fishing, after a long day’s toil, caught nothing but one little fish. “Spare me,” said the little creature, “I beseech you. Small as I am, I shall make you but a sorry meal. I am not come to my full size yet. Throw me back into the river for the present and then, when I am grown bigger and worth eating, you may come here and catch me again.”

“No, no,” said the man; “I have got you now, but if you once get back into the water, your tune will be, ‘Catch me, if you can.’ ”

― “The Angler and the Little Fish”; Aesop’s Fables
14 Shofixti Scouts (14 × 5 = 75 pts.)
VS.
14 Orz Nemeses
(14 x 23 = 322 pts.)
RESULTS: Orz wins with 11 remaining Nemeses! (Note: 6 point win margin)
Approximate battle time: 14 minutes
Glory Devices used: 5
Deaths caused by Divine Wind: 3
Bombs used on Orz Space Marines only: 2
Orz Space Marine kills: 2
Nemesis Howitzer Cannon kills: 8

ANALYSIS: From the start, the Orz would deploy some marines, usually a pair at a time, and then more as the Scout closed the distance to keep them at arm’s -- I mean, at fin’s length. Sometimes the Shofixti would turn and fire on the marines, taking them down one-by-one after several dart hits, but they often had trouble lining up the shot since the marines are difficult targets. This battle took a long time, since the scout couldn’t get close unless the Orz messed up, who had their own troubles trying to hit the elusive Scout, even though in only took 2 shots to destroy it at full strength. So… what was the moral of the angler/fish story? Well, some would say, “A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.”, but I would say in these modern times it would be more appropriate to say, “You should’ve listened to the fish and thrown it back, because now the park ranger is telling you that you’re going to have to pay a hefty fine due to fish size restrictions. Always check with your local authorities to find out fishing regulations in your area.”

krulle
Ilwrath spawn

Post by krulle » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:38 pm

The Troglodyte wrote:Glory Devices used: 5
[...]
5+2+8=15....

Hmmm, did one resurrect....?

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:11 pm

krulle wrote:
The Troglodyte wrote: Glory Devices used: 5
[...]
5+2+8=15....

Hmmm, did one resurrect....?

Hmmm… by jove you’re right! Not sure what happened there. Well, I’ve gone back over the score sheet (seen above), giving a little glimpse to the process of how I tally my results, but it doesn’t give me a clear indication of where I goofed, but there’s many times where I have to quickly mark several categories at once as they happen simultaneously, so I must’ve gotten pencil happy and marked an incorrect one, like an extra howitzer kill or something.
“Why does the lizard stick his tongue out? The lizard sticks its tongue out because that’s the way its listening and looking and tasting its environment. It’s its means of appreciating what’s in front of it.” ― William Shatner
14 Shofixti Scouts (14 × 5 = 70 pts.)
VS.
14 Zoq-Fot-Pik Stingers
(14 × 6 = 84 pts.)
RESULTS: Shofixti wins with 2 Scouts remaining!
Approximate battle time: 6 minutes
Glory Devices used: 12
Deaths caused by Divine Wind: 12
Zoq-Fot-Pik Antimatter Spray kills: 0
Stinger Tongue attempts: 0
Mendosukai Energy Dart kills: 2

ANALYSIS: I wasn’t surprised that the Shofixti could take full advantage of this match-up, at least in terms of glory device usage, but I was a bit perplexed that the ZFP couldn’t show more of an effort, so to speak. They never relied on their main weapon to keep the Shofixti in check, but instead thought that letting the Scout chase them was a better option. Yes, for one of the first times in AI vs. AI, the computer actually had one ship giving chase to a retreating opponent. The only problem was that the ZFP were reluctant to utilize this to their tactical advantage and maintain their momentum and rotate the ship and fire their weapon. They’d bob and weave from left to right, as if they could successfully shake the Shofixti off, but the bold Scout continued its pursuit, and fired dart after dart into their rear engines, and whenever the Stinger flinched and turned to fight… BOOM! goes the dynamite.