The Shofixti Scout

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Re: The Shofixti Scout

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:49 pm

I concur, and if I’m not mistaken, if you emergency warp away from a probe after damaging it in the SC2 campaign and encounter it after it reemerges in HyperSpace, it will still have the same amount of grey crew dots missing. I could test this, but I haven’t seen a probe in a while in my game. Unless…

Anyway, back to the simulation room:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Fire tests gold, suffering tests brave men.” ― Seneca
14 Shofixti Scouts (14 x 5 = 70 pts.)
VS.
14 Thraddash Torches
(14 x 10 = 140 pts.)
RESULTS: Zero survivors! (Shofixti wins pointwise by 70 points)
Approximate battle time: 2 minutes
Glory Devices used: 14
Deaths caused by Divine Wind: 14

ANALYSIS: Ok, so I’ve got to admit, at first, as I waited for the battle to begin, I was a little nervous that this battle was going to take forever. I mean, you’ve got 2 very fast ships trying to engage each other, so it would seem at first glance that the computer may use the Torch’s Afterburner ability to zip away from the Scout while laying down a wall of fire, hoping that the Shofixti vessel will collide with it, but then I could envision the Scout veering away from it at the last second and continue its pursuit once free from danger, and then this cycle would repeat over and over until I’m pulling out my hair!

Fortunately (I guess you could say), the norm persisted; they both attempted to engage each other, and the Thraddash’s reckless usage of the plasma fire thrusting action caused it to often and quickly fall within the blast radius of the Glory Device, and the Shofixti were more than happy to oblige with their big boom each and every time, and of course the low crew of the Torch meant it was completely snuffed out in the process, and this sequence became the reoccurring theme instead of my fearful prediction. Whew!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:46 pm

You never encounter damaged probes, so they probably do maintenance like everyone else.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:04 pm

Death 999 wrote:You never encounter damaged probes, so they probably do maintenance like everyone else.
Oh, I’m definitely testing it now! But, that will have to wait, but in the meantime…
“The furnace which melts gold, also hardens clay. Before blaming thy fate, therefore, find whether thou art gold or clay.” - Ivan Panin.
VS.
14 Druuge Maulers
(14 x 17 = 238 pts.)
RESULTS: Druuge wins with 12 remaining Maulers!
Approximate battle time: 8 minutes
Glory Devices used: 7
Deaths caused by Divine Wind: 1
Druuge used for furnace fuel: ~15

ANALYSIS: The Scouts had great difficulty getting close to the Maulers, who used their cannons to keep the Shofixti constantly on their toes while simultaneously keeping them at a distance via the recoil factor. Not only that, but the Druuge’s weapon was a one-shot kill, and they kept chunking crew after crew into the furnace to keep plenty in the tank as they continued their assault/retreat combo. The Shofixti may have used half of the fleet in self-destruction, but most of the bomb blasts were ineffective and out of range; sometimes it seemed like they were merely detonating themselves just before the cannon shot arrived to not give the Druuge the satisfaction of a kill, but I don’t think they really cared anyway. The second Druuge ship that was destroyed was done so by an energy dart from the Scout, after the lone captain had already sent the rest of their crew into the fuel stove.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:42 am

I don't know how well a human could handle that. Certainly a human Shofixti vs AI Druuge would have a major edge, but human Shofixti vs human Druuge? Maybe the Druuge can keep good enough fire discipline to not lose.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:15 pm

Death 999 wrote:You never encounter damaged probes, so they probably do maintenance like everyone else.
Nope, I’m surprised to report they will indeed display as damaged… well, depending on the circumstance. I had to load an older save (prior to Beta Corvi) and began seeking out a probe. I left starport and parked the Vindicator outside of Sol and waited until a probe spawned nearby. After the encounter (in which we warped away after I let a cruiser inflict some damage with a few nukes before it was destroyed) I escaped using the flagship and waited to see if it would respawn, but it didn’t, so using the emergency warp in effect “eliminates” the probe.

However, to complete my experiment, I ventured out to Canopus (since the Canopus system seems to be like some sort of “probe hangout”) and I actually found 2 probes orbiting the planet! This time I used the Vindicator but aimed directionally partly away while firing (since I have front and side hellbore cannons, along with some ATS modules) to only partially damage the probe. Then, I warped away while it fed some of my crew high voltage, and then did the same to the next probe. And yes!… The next encounter showed the crew losses were still present!

Hmmm… I should really charge for such valuable information like the Melnorme do…
(ALERT! FORCED SEGUE! FORCED SEGUE!)
“Nothing is more important than your health… except for your money.” – Rule of Acquisition #26
VS.
14 Melnorme Traders
(14 x 18 = 252 pts.)
RESULTS: Melnorme wins with 9 Traders remaining! (Shofixti wins by 92 points!)
Approximate battle time: 4 minutes
Glory Devices used: 13
Deaths caused by Divine Wind: 5

ANALYSIS: This should’ve gone down more like the other matches that involved a ship that the Scout should be able to effectively charge and detonate close enough to take out half or more of the target’s crew, and the 2nd would then finish the job, which would’ve brought the kill tally at a ratio of 2:1. This was not the case against the Trader, however. A big contributor to this result was the Confusion Ray; a well-placed shot meant terror for the scout’s onboard systems –- I suppose they were coping with the g-forces during their uncontrollable spinning that kept the bomb’s handle out of their reach! Also, once the Melnorme brought their weapon to prepare an attack in charge mode, this made the Shofixti rather finicky, and even though they deployed their self-engulfing fireball a total of 13 times, many of those occurrences took place well out of range as a magenta/blue/red bolt was on its way to do them in anyway.

krulle
Ilwrath spawn

Post by krulle » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:05 pm

I thought the Special Weapon does not work while the systems are confused?
Therefore the switch cannot be activated while the Scout is "confused"....

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:12 pm

The Troglodyte wrote:
Nope, I’m surprised to report they will indeed display as damaged… well, depending on the circumstance.
Huh. Well, I did mean on longer time-scales. But innteresting.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:17 pm

krulle wrote:I thought the Special Weapon does not work while the systems are confused?
Therefore the switch cannot be activated while the Scout is "confused"....
Yes, but can we really be sure the Melnorme’s confusion ray is directly influencing the ship controls and not the crew members themselves? And if you’re saying it is directly affecting the ship and not the crew, how can we be sure it isn’t only making the ship perform counterclockwise spins, and the end result, due to the ship flying around uncontrollably, is therefore tossing the crew all about and they simply can’t reach the controls to use the special weapon function?! :P
The Troglodyte wrote:
Nope, I’m surprised to report they will indeed display as damaged… well, depending on the circumstance.
Death 999 wrote:Huh. Well, I did mean on longer time-scales. But innteresting.
Strangely enough, this reminds me of something from Star Control 1… ‘Wait, how could The Troglodyte possibly link this circumstance back to SC1, or is this just forced Star Control nostalgia time?’ Well, maybe… but I remember that during the campaign missions, it was frustrating (and confusing at first before I knew what was taking place) to almost destroy a Mycon with a Shofixti explosion, only to find them at full power the next (separate) encounter! It makes me wonder, if you only damage a Podship in the SC2 game, will the same Podship regenerate its crew in between battles? Hmmm… Any guesses?

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:13 pm

“All gardeners know better than other gardeners.” — Chinese proverb
VS.
14 Supox Blades
(14 x 16 = 224 pts.)
RESULTS: Supox wins with 2 remaining Blades! (Shofixti wins pointwise by 122 points!)
Approximate battle time: 5 minutes
Glory Devices used: 14
Deaths caused by Divine Wind: 11

ANALYSIS: This battle had tons of movement! There was lots and lots of fast-paced action, including shifting, thrusting, rotating, charging, retreating, maneuvers and counter-maneuvers as each ship attempted to gain the upper hand. Despite the clear advantage the Blade had over the Scout, and the times when it focused its attacks from afar it had good success, but ultimately it still couldn’t help itself but to casually drift into range of the Glory Device’s blast radius, and those little varmints made the plant folk pay severely for their neglectful oversight. This was also one of those battles that I got to see the Shofixti actually utilize their energy dart, which they fired off more frequently than usual, and they even managed to score a kill by finishing off a Blade vessel that had only been partly damaged by big bomb blast. Good ratio exchange for the Shofixti.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:46 pm

“επιστρέψτε με την ασπίδα σας ή πάνω σε αυτό” - Plutarch, Moralia 241
VS.
14 Utwig Juggers
(14 x 22 = 308 pts.)
RESULTS: Utwig wins with 10 Juggers remaining! (Shofixti wins pointwise by 18 points)
Approximate battle time: 3 minutes
Glory Devices used:
Kills caused by Divine Wind: 4

ANALYSIS: No, this was not a good showing by the Shofixti at all, and of course, the dumbfounded AI is solely to blame. As Quasi already pointed out, it would’ve been preferable for them to have forgone any attempt to place themselves into a firing position but instead charge right in and detonate their underneath bomb to not give the Utwig any recourse but to take the full brunt of suicide runs, in which the likely kill tally would have been two Scouts for every Jugger, which is obviously the best the Shofixti could’ve possibly hoped.

Instead, they were intimidated by the Widespread Cannons of the Jugger, and they usually veered off as the Utwig vessel moved in towards them as they darted about, but this often left them open to needless attacks, and even though the Scout is fast and nimble, it still wasn’t fast or skilled enough to dodge in between the line of fire which quickly cut through their crew, sometimes too swiftly to allow the Shofixti to perform their patented space hero funeral.