The Shofixti Scout

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Re: The Shofixti Scout

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:40 pm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Keep your magnifying glass with you all the time, because you never know when good crystals are going on strike.” ― Kenneth G. Libbrecht
14 Shofixti Scouts (14 x 5 = 70 pts.)
VS.
14 Chenjesu Broodhomes
(14 x 28 = 392 pts.)
RESULTS: Chenjesu wins with 10 Broodhomes remaining! (Shofixti wins pointwise by 42 points!)
Approximate battle time: 4 minutes
Glory Devices used: 13
Deaths caused by Divine Wind: 4
D.O.G.I.s deployed: 18

ANALYSIS: Ok, so maybe Kenny G. was talking about snowflakes, but anyway, this was just another example of poor tactics by the Chenjesu’s; they would’ve been better served to hold on to as much energy as possible to give the Shofixti something to think twice about -- a crystal shard defense field would’ve been a better option over releasing one useless DOGI after another, which allowed the Shofixti to move in unimpeded. Were they really concerned about suffering too many casualties by the Scout’s Energy Darts?… not that the DOGIs really could catch up with them unless they let them, and when they did, the bouncing effect usually helped propel the small craft towards the Broodhome with even greater speed, setting them up for idealistic self-destruction situations.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:59 pm

“Quid pro quo, Doctor.” ― Clarice Starling

“The significance of the moth is change. Caterpillar into cocoon into beauty… Billy wants to change, too, Clarice.” ― Dr. Hannibal Lector

(from “The Silence of the Lambs”… obviously)
14 Shofixti Scouts (14 × 5 = 70 pts.)
VS.
14 Chmmr Avatars
(14 × 30 = 420 pts.)
RESULTS: Chmmr wins with 11 Avatars remaining! (Shofixti wins pointwise by 20 points)
Approximate battle time: 3 minutes
Glory Devices used: 12
Deaths caused by Divine Wind: 2
Mendosukai Energy Dart Kills: 1

ANALYSIS: Wow! The pull of the Avatar’s Tractor Beam had a huge effect on the little Scout, pulling it in like the rubber band bound ball returning back to its paddle. Of course, then end result was a huge explosion which not only took the Chmmr’s crew down a notch, but it also usually took out a pair of ZapSats in the process! The next Scout would arrive on scene and found it much easier (now with much of the Avatar’s defenses gone) to get right up next to the big target and detonate itself at point-blank range. Still, this took a considerable portion of Scouts to finally mark their hard-earned success, and they were fortunate to have eliminated 3 Avatars by the haphazard manner in which they use this technique.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

krulle
Ilwrath spawn

Post by krulle » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:45 pm

Actually, I find the one death through Mendosukai energy dart hard to believe.
The Chmmr has such a large crew complement, that the energy dart takes a long while to achieve a noticable effect, even with all sats blown away...

I like your playtesting and recodring the results here....

Maybe I should get into the code, and make it play loop-like, so that one could make a record of statistical averages...... But then, I am even too lazy to do a single run like you do.
So, thank You!

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:38 pm

krulle wrote:Actually, I find the one death through Mendosukai energy dart hard to believe.
The Chmmr has such a large crew complement, that the energy dart takes a long while to achieve a noticable effect, even with all sats blown away...
It really took about 3 Scouts to achieve the results, since the first two were merely cannon fodder to destroy the ZapSats and deplete the Chmmr’s crew. The third was merely fortunate enough to arrive and find an Avatar defenseless, and seeing it with a crew down to next to nothing, they stayed out of range and pelted it with darts until it was finished.

As Shiver has mentioned, the Scout is definitely overpowered in terms of point differential and damage potential:
Shiver wrote:This ship is one of the reasons we in #uqm-arena almost never allowed more than one of each ship type in a fleet.

[…]

3-7 Shofixti Scouts would give someone an advantage over virtually any fleet composition.

[…]

Forget even using Chmmr, which is normally a very competitive choice, if your opponent is able to amass Shofixti.
All true, but we can also add that in this particular scenario even just 1 Scout can cripple a fresh Avatar by zooming in and detonating at close-range, hurting the ship’s crew significantly, but even more importantly, taking out some ZapSats as well, leaving it quite vulnerable. Then, the player can pick their next ship with these considerations. Suddenly, and Ur-Quan and Orz can effectively use their crew releasing secondaries, and Arilou and Yehat become more viable too. Heck, even an Intruder, Fury or Drone start becoming possible options.
“Goodness, Gracious, Great Balls of Fire!” ― Jerry Lee Lewis
14 Shofixti Scouts (14 × 5 = 70 pts.)
VS.
14 Shofixti Scouts
(14 × 5 = 70 pts.)
RESULTS: Zero survivors! Big surprise.
Approximate battle time: 8 minutes
Glory Devices used: 14
Deaths caused by Divine Wind: 14~28 (depending on how you look at it)

ANALYSIS: There really wasn’t any need for me to mark down the results as they occurred, it was easier to monitor for any deviation from the presumed norm… but alas, the norm persisted. Granted, there were a few moments where they’d each trade energy dart hits, but most of the battle consisted of each of them skirting about from medium to semi-close range, rotating their front sides, pointing towards each other, followed by pointing and thrusting away, and they performed this as if it had been choreographed and rehearsed to appear like some kind of weird, synchronous space dance. Besides the repetitive bobbing and weaving that contributed to the lengthiness of the skirmish, it was as if they’d simply give up and casually fly into one another’s flight path, and then they’d each light their respective fuses and end the routine with a delightful double fireball effect as their big finish. (9.5)

krulle
Ilwrath spawn

Post by krulle » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:03 pm

Hand deliverd space fireworks...