Origins Melee Beta

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Mormont
Hunam adventurer

Re: Origins Melee Beta

Post by Mormont » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:42 pm

Well, I will say this: things have improved in the past few weeks. There are still issues to work out, but Stardock is listening to feedback and I'm more hopeful than I was before. I may have been too judgmental at first - the first couple of builds were (and in some ways still are) earlier and rougher than a typical "beta."

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:36 pm

I will take a look again tonight while eating popcorn regarding the ongoing family feud!
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

Shiver
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Shiver » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:34 pm

I've seen it. Origins looks promising for an early beta. Even with the legal drama going, the forum will likely have a lot of Origins discussion sooner or later. I'm keeping my distance for now, but unless Ghosts of the Precursors somehow gets bulldozed in the process, I don't plan on sustaining that.

Shiver
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Shiver » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:45 pm

Shiver wrote:I've seen it. Origins looks promising for an early beta. Even with the legal drama going, the forum will likely have a lot of Origins discussion sooner or later. I'm keeping my distance for now, but unless Ghosts of the Precursors somehow gets bulldozed in the process, I don't plan on sustaining that.
Actually, screw this. Why did I write this? I'm never supporting Origins in any way. Someone should have flamed me for writing this.

krulle
Ilwrath spawn

Post by krulle » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:13 am

You're free for your own opinion.
I've also recently changed my mind on buying SC:O.

The broadside attack on the IP of FF and PR through filing for a list of trademarks not connected to SC:O and directly connected to the Ur-Quan Masters storyline made me rethink and decide in favour of boycotting SC:O for the time being. I don't want to reward this kind of behaviour.

(And yes, I'm also not a "customer" of facebook and whatsapp for similar reasons. I'm missing out on a lot of modern things, up to the point that friends even removed my phonenumber from their smartphones.)

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:44 am

Some friends, sheesh. I have a very small social media presence, and like it that way. Some of my friends may not like that, but not enough to stop talking to me.

And back in January, this whole legal situation was a lot more nebulous and grey than it is now. I think a lot of us wanted to be optimistic that things would work out to everyone's benefit in the end, but it's pretty clear now that this is going to only get uglier, and who is at fault for the whole mess.

krulle
Ilwrath spawn

Post by krulle » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:45 am

Oh, these friends still do call me, but it is the only way they can avoid doing illegal stuff if they want to use Whatsapp.
that darn app does not work without access to the adress book, and copies it completely, transferring my data without my consent.
My friends would need my permission before allowing whatsapp access to my data. And honestly, who would ever ask each person in his phonebook if they're allowed to pass this data on to an app?

(In Europe, my phonenumber is my data, and whoever wants to "work" with that data, needs my permission to do so. facebook and whatsapp do not have that permission, yet they pretend to have it because the owner of the telephone where my telephone number is stored on has given permission to copy the adress book.
So I'm in a catch situation: I don't want to cause problems for families and friends by forcing them to remove my data from their phonebook, or by blocking access to their adress book for those apps; and I do not want fb to have and work with my data.

I'm always wondering why the adressbook settings does not include additional settings for each entry: "share/do not share this entry with apps having permission to access the adressbook".)

Most funny people are those who are pissed off because I do not react.
"But I've sent you a whatsapp message!"
Me: hands over phone: "show me where it is..." (mobile phone, which is not a smartphone)

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:45 pm

Draxas wrote:Some friends, sheesh. I have a very small social media presence, and like it that way. Some of my friends may not like that, but not enough to stop talking to me.

And back in January, this whole legal situation was a lot more nebulous and grey than it is now. I think a lot of us wanted to be optimistic that things would work out to everyone's benefit in the end, but it's pretty clear now that this is going to only get uglier, and who is at fault for the whole mess.
Exactly what I'm thinking at the moment. Out of time to actually check the latest release. But, I'm pondering about reimbursement at that point. My gaming time is sparse...and with Phoenix Point coming soon it will get thinner. Before I go out of topic, check out how x-com (firaxis) and Julian Gollop with Phoenix Point (and branding himself as the creator of the original x-com) are coexisting peacefully. Geez I wonder how they manage to do that sleight of hand.

Anyhoo!
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:14 am

It's because most companies are sensible enough not to try to stop people from talking about their resumes or new projects... but not all. Look at the recent fiasco with Konami suing their former employees for daring to insinuate that they may have once worked there while searching for new jobs. Another nasty bit of business there, and the public backlash has been pretty intense among the small subset of people that actually noticed what's going on. Not that the people in charge of Konami seem to care about their public image at all anymore.

Reminds me of someone.