Updating the website - an idea

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Mormont
Hunam adventurer

Updating the website - an idea

Post by Mormont » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:51 pm

Hi everyone, I've been in and out of the community since the late 90s under a few different usernames. Some of you may remember me from #uqm-arena - I made some (very small) contributions to testing and brainstorming for the balance mod a while back. A few things have brought me back - most of all the Ghosts announcement, but to a lesser degree I'm curious about Stardock's project and been going through a classic PC games phase generally.

If an SC revival happens, I would hope the Pages of Now and Forever would be ready for it, as the oldest fansite still around. It has much less than it once did though, and some of the information is outdated. In the age of the Ultronomicon, it probably shouldn't try cover everything, but there are still things that could be done better on a full site.

Anyway, one idea I've had is a "new player's guide" to Star Control 2. Briefly introduce them to UQM, give them the SC1-era starmap, inform them of the missing dialog and give some general non-spoiler advice on SC2 - all on a single page. If I were to write something up (which I've actually already started) and possibly put it in HTML, could someone put it on the site?

I have a some other suggestions for what could be added to the site too, but best to start small.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Re: Updating the website - an idea

Post by Death 999 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:57 am

There are plenty of newbie intro threads with good non-spoiler advice that you can mine, both here and at the other board. I can hunt up some links if you'd like.

Mormont
Hunam adventurer

Post by Mormont » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:36 pm

Just want to say that I am working on this and will have a draft to show soon.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:12 am

Mormont wrote:Just want to say that I am working on this and will have a draft to show soon.
define soon?

Mormont
Hunam adventurer

Post by Mormont » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:18 pm

Okay, so this isn't 100%, but here's what I have right now so people can take a look. You'll need to unzip it to your hard drive and view the HTML from there. Yes, I realize this is an awkward hosting solution (note that you don't need to register Dropbox to download it):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/36l94xw7eegah ... e.zip?dl=0

The main thing I want to add is more pictures. And perhaps a little blacked-out mild-spoiler early game advice at the end for those who really want it. The CSS isn't perfect (and I'm the type who could tinker with it endlessly), but if there's a chance of it being hosted somewhere else it might be better not to worry too much about it right now.

I hope it's not too long-winded, as I have a tendency to write.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:59 pm

Mormont wrote:Okay, so this isn't 100%, but here's what I have right now so people can take a look. You'll need to unzip it to your hard drive and view the HTML from there. Yes, I realize this is an awkward hosting solution (note that you don't need to register Dropbox to download it):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/36l94xw7eegah ... e.zip?dl=0

The main thing I want to add is more pictures. And perhaps a little blacked-out mild-spoiler early game advice at the end for those who really want it. The CSS isn't perfect (and I'm the type who could tinker with it endlessly), but if there's a chance of it being hosted somewhere else it might be better not to worry too much about it right now.

I hope it's not too long-winded, as I have a tendency to write.
I placed it here :)
http://www.33q.nl/sc2guide/
So if you have an update for it, just place it here (though I had to rename sc2.html to index.html for it to work more easily)