Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:22 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Ghosts of the Precursors
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:15 pm 
Hunam adventurer

Angelfish wrote:
it's really hard to make a real sequel because the game doesn't dry up well for the general population.
the game is too hard, and mineral mining too tedious. and the kohr-ah death march is a thing that is absolutely not done these days.
that, and I really hope that they don't make it a kiddy's game :). We've grown up, please no skylanders with SC2 races ;) !

Eh, games like Dark Souls, FTL, and Spelunky are popular nowadays, and SC2 is much easier than any of those. And if you're wise about which planets to land on and how to plan your journeys, you shouldn't have to spend that much time mining after the early game. I've seen a good number of people who played UQM for the first time in recent years and were impressed - it may not click with every single person (no game does), but still hooks quite a lot of them. It's aged better than almost any PC game of its time.

I imagine they'll probably eventually start hiring people once they have things planned out more. Skylanders' success has probably given them some cash.

Also going to take a general guess on game design: this will not strictly follow the SC2 formula and there will be some sort of significant gameplay change or addition. Look how big a change SC1 to SC2 was! Now I don't think the difference will be on that scale (I'm not saying the genre will change), but I do think they'll do something to surprise us.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:52 am 
Arilou wiseguy

Just had to suppress a laugh:

I was reading up on the articles they (FF+PR) linked in their twitter:
The two developers stressed that the sequel is still in its infancy phase of development, but rest assured, it will contain races from the predecessor game, such as Ur-Quan, Precursors, Super-Melee, Umgah, and more. All these will be available for the players to discover, befriend, or annihilate.

Who here ever knew the Super-Melee are a race?
Who here ever achieved a befriending or annigilation... I mean annihigation.. damn!, agnigilation... I mean, oh what's the use. I give up. You know what I mean...., of the Super-Melee?

Tell me, was that easier or more difficult than seeing the *Nnngn* or the Keel-Verezy?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:32 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

Christian Today… has an article about SC3.

I guess they subscribe to a news wire?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:09 am 
Arilou wiseguy

I also found that interesting. They link back to articles from IGN and venturebeat.
But there, there is no mention of this.
I fear they took it from the original news-post by FF and PR:
This is a passion project for us and we have committed to dedicating some of our own time to creating a true sequel. We are early, early in development, but rest assured, the game will include genuine Ur-Quan, Precursors, Super-Melee, Umgah, VUX, Supox, THE ULTRON!, Druuge, Arilou Lalee'lay, Orz, Androsynth, Rainbow Worlds, Ilwrath, Syreen, Mmrnmhrm, Yehat, Shofixti, Spathi (including the ever-terrified Fwiffo), Umgah, Melmorme, Chmmr, Earthlings, Mycon, THE MARK II!, Slylandro, Utwig, Thraddash, Zoq-Fot-Pik, VUX Beast, Pkunk, the Keel-Verezy, and of course all new alien races to discover, befriend ...and/or be annigilate... I mean annihigate.. Damn! Well, you get the idea.
, which lists all the items listed by Christian Today and more, but also in a more general sense (not limiting the items to races).

It is nice when someone tries to make a newsarticle without knowing the subject, nor having time to do a proper research, but just enough time to amend the article so that it won't be a direct and obvious copy of earleir releases....