The Arilou Lalee’lay Skiff

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Re: The Arilou Lalee’lay Skiff

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:55 pm

Death 999 wrote:I don't remember what the Utwig had done to them in the balance mod, but the first thing that occurs to me is reducing their turn rate.
They’re certainly in this current state easily able to green manhandle the Skiffs without much of a problem. But what about the Mmrnmhrm? Awww, the poor things are feeling left out… if they do in fact have feelings!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.” – Arilou
3 Arilou Skiffs (3 x 16 = 48 pts.)
Vs.
14 Mmrnmhrm X-Forms
(14 x 19 = 266 pts.)

Mmrnmhrm wins with 13 remaining X-Forms!

ANALYSIS:
The Mmrnmhrm had a pretty straightforward approach to this battle setup: At long distance range, they’d switch to their Y-Form and start lobbing missiles towards the Skiff until they got closer, and then they’d switch back to the X-Form and fire their twin lasers at the Arilou vessel, which would try to get in some licks of their own. The Arilou always found themselves on the losing end of this deal, mainly because the X-Form’s turning jets can keep up with them, and their dual laser cannons can reduce them to a burnt-up saucer in seconds.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

krulle
Ilwrath spawn

Post by krulle » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:52 pm

The 2ndary not functioning when confused has been mentioned. Which, for the Orz, means no *Go!-Go!*, and no turret turning...

I'd reduce the Utwig fire rate and fire range. And decrease battery size (or shield length, thereby increasing shield cost).

Whenever perfect timing is asked (shield activation, tlelporting) AI are unbeatable...

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:15 pm

OR, perhaps, if you let the shield drop, there is a minimum time before it can reactivate?

gtb2002
Arilou wiseguy

Post by gtb2002 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:13 pm

So to show off how incompetent I am at Super melee (due to lack of practice) here's me as the Arilou vs. the VUX!

“With ships and weapons... blood and bones... no.
Too many shipmates were forcibly... discorporated.. in the last conflict.” - Arilou

14 Arilou Hunam controlled vs. 14 VUX Awesome AI

VUX wins with 10 remaining!

My loss on this part was accidentally running into limpets or the front of the ship and using the laser so much that I couldn't teleport

Also I'm running the HD version of the game if you would like me to double check your simulations Trog and if someone could tell me how to effectively screenshot in game or on windows 10 and 7 that would be helpful.
FYI: I've explored almost all the dialogue trees in Sc2.

gtb2002
Arilou wiseguy

Post by gtb2002 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:31 pm

And here is me vs. the Zoq the fot and the pik.

"We cannot fathom your reason, therefore you must be acting upon simple instinct."-Arilou

3 Hunam Arilou vs. 14 Zoq,fot,pik

ZFP win with 7 remaining.

Most of the ZFP where killed by my last ship because I started to use the teleport more often.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:38 pm

gtb2002 wrote:Also I'm running the HD version of the game if you would like me to double check your simulations Trog
That would be great! In particular the match-up that seemed most affected by my version of the Arilou’s AI was the Supox, Syreen and Pkunk, but any redos you’d like to reenact would be welcomed! Thanks in advance gtb2002! :)
gtb2002 wrote: and if someone could tell me how to effectively screenshot in game or on windows 10 and 7 that would be helpful.

On my old build computer, I simply use CTRL + PrtScn (and then PrtScn only after each succession) and then open an Adobe Reader and start a new PDF file (default settings) and then Paste it there, and then convert it to a JPEG file when saving as a file name. I can then upload it to Imgur (Browse your pictures folder), where it lets you adjust its size if needbe. I kind of have to muddle my way through computer literacy type things, so there may be others that could offer better advice than me, especially when it comes to using more up-to-date computer software.

But… as promised, I ran the simulation of the Arilou renegade group getting chased down by their police task force fleet:
“We are known among your kind by many names... some of them flattering, some of them not.
The one we use most often was given to us by the children of the Celts. A wonderful culture!
They called us the Arilou... the Arilou Lalee’lay.”
- Arilou
Vs.
14 Arilou Skiffs
(14 x 16 = 224 pts.)
(Arilou trading hits and teleporting)

Arilou wins with 12 remaining Skiffs!

ANALYSIS:
A bit challenging for me just trying to keep up with who was who, especially after one of them would teleport at the last second while the other fired at it; a loop that I thought at first may result in a boring, lengthy stalemate, but because of the overconfidence programmed into their respective AI’s, they each started thinking that maybe they would get their shot in before the other, and they began to mix in some laser shots before teleporting out and recommencing the charge. This obviously meant a significant advantage to the fleet over the small squadron, and they also managed to destroy their third Skiff before their own third ship lost their captain. Final interesting note: There was the rare double-kill that occurred between the first two combatants.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

gtb2002
Arilou wiseguy

Post by gtb2002 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:25 pm

The Troglodyte wrote: On my old build computer, I simply use CTRL + PrtScn (and then PrtScn only after each succession) and then open an Adobe Reader and start a new PDF file (default settings) and then Paste it there, and then convert it to a JPEG file when saving as a file name. I can then upload it to Imgur (Browse your pictures folder), where it lets you adjust its size if needbe. I kind of have to muddle my way through computer literacy type things, so there may be others that could offer better advice than me, especially when it comes to using more up-to-date computer software.

Thx for trying to help but my print screen button doesn't work so I just used snipping tool. :D Also I'm pretty sure you can just put it in paint and it should save as a JPEG automatically.

“…so long since I glided across your open fields under the light of a full moon.” - Arilou

The Arilou still beat them with the glitch in my version

And here is the Arilou taking advantage of the glitch

Edit by Alvarin - changed https into http and defined the size in tag
Last edited by gtb2002 on Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

gtb2002
Arilou wiseguy

Post by gtb2002 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:44 pm

“Anyway, I see in your future, that you will be jumping across the galaxy through dimensional doorways which are at your beck and call. This ability you shall receive from a mysterious, and yet somehow I sense, lovable alien race, called ArilouLaleelay, or LalilouArilay, or LoopylooHappyday, or something like that.” – Pkunk

Now this was even closer to yours because the last Fury barely pulled out this victory

Last Arilou Crewman fights for his life.

Arilou sneaking up on the Pkunk rear.

Also on your Pkunk sim you have the quote as by the Arilou even though its obviously the Pkunk saying it. :lol:

Edit by Alvarin - changed https into http and corrected the tag
Last edited by gtb2002 on Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:33 am, edited 5 times in total.

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:27 am

gtb, may I suggest using the rimg tag instead of the img tag? Your images are rather... large, is what I'm saying.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:46 pm

Thanks for running these simulations gtb2002! It’s weird though, I figured the glitch wouldn’t occur on your HD version, but I suppose it’s still running identical AI game mechanics from the original build. Thanks for including the screenshots too!
gtb2002 wrote:Also on your Pkunk sim you have the quote as by the Arilou even though its obviously the Pkunk saying it. :lol:
Ooops! Force of habit! I fixed it!
Quasispatial wrote:gtb, may I suggest using the rimg tag instead of the img tag? Your images are rather... large, is what I'm saying.
Yes, much better now. Thanks gtb. (and you too Alvarin ;)-smf )

I’m running out of ships! But… there’s still the Chenjesu, so let’s see how they did:
“Your instincts are like perfume… your motives a shimmering crystal." - Arilou
Vs.
14 Chenjesu Broodhomes
(14 x 28 = 392 pts.)

Chenjesu wins with 13 remaining Broodhomes!

ANALYSIS:
The Chenjesu are always persistent with using their D.O.G.I.s, even if they’d usually wind up destroying them while implementing their “Crystal Shard Defense Wall” tactic (pictured above), which worked pretty well against the Arilou, because as long as it was within firing range or close to it, the Skiff would attempt to dodge shattering crystallized photonic energy and get in its laser shots before teleporting to safety, which kept the Arilou in constant danger, since each incursion rendered a third of the crew dead, and the large-massed hulk of a spacecraft was too much for them to handle during repeated engagements.