Worldcon 75 - Presentation related to Star Control

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Tiberian
Orz *camper*

Worldcon 75 - Presentation related to Star Control

Post by Tiberian » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:09 pm

As some of you might know, world's biggest science fiction conference, Worldcon, is in Finland this year (August 9th - 13th). http://www.worldcon.fi/

And most importantly, I will be there giving a presentation about conversions between books, movies and games. You can expect lots of blabbing about Groombridge Log and Eternal Doctrine. More details can be found at my relevant recent blog post
Author of Star Control novelizations Groombridge Log and Eternal Doctrine. www.tommisalminenbooks.com

2-23-6
*squeezing* *juice*!!!

Re: Worldcon 75 - Presentation related to Star Control

Post by 2-23-6 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:25 am

Neat.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:41 pm

Been away for a while, so I am just seeing this now. Hopefully the panel went well.

2-23-6
*squeezing* *juice*!!!

Post by 2-23-6 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:56 am

Yeah, we need an update.

Tiberian
Orz *camper*

Post by Tiberian » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:12 am

The presentation went very well, thank you. The audience was easy to work with as they participated a lot.

Unfortunately I didn't get much of a chance to promote Star Control itself, but I did rub my books in everyone's faces.

Unrelated to the presentation, during the five days I attended the con, I got "several" new readers, but not the kind of crowd I wanted.

The usual opinion seemed to be that the cover of the printed version of Groombridge Log was exceptionally interesting. I got some complaints about the clothing of the Syreen on the back cover, but mostly everyone took it as "of course there's a blue-skinned chick with few clothes in a sci-fi book". Everyone also seemed to be interested in the star map on the first pages.

I was wearing a shirt that had the cover image of Groombridge Log printed on the front and the cover image of Eternal Doctrine printed on the back (with a note saying "coming soon"). The shirt got a lot of thumbs-ups.

On Saturday I participated in a panel where we discussed about maintaining our scientist characters' credibility. I wasn't an expert on that subject, but I had prepared myself. In the beginning of the panel I introduced myself as "having written the novelization of Star Control" which I think describes my achievements rather well. There was a bigger audience at the panel and I got to sit next to a much better known author (Karen Lord), which gave the appearance that we were in the same league. The panel was a huge success and tended to tilt a bit more towards comedy, but that was fine with me. At least one person in the audience confessed afterwards that he had read Groombridge Log.

On a side note, Eternal Doctrine is "almost finished". I am aiming to get it out as a PDF in October. Then I'll start seriously thinking about marketing and different publishing options.

Thanks for asking!
Author of Star Control novelizations Groombridge Log and Eternal Doctrine. www.tommisalminenbooks.com