Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: The Zoq-Fot-Pik Stinger
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:21 pm 
Ilwrath spawn

1 ZFP Stinger against the fleet of Avengers?

Well done!

The disadvantage when fihting short range weapon ships against the Avenger simply is, that even if you KNOW the Avenger is facing away, getting within flame range means toast, as uncloaking by fire button mean autoaiming the Avenger for the enemy ship...
Took me a bit to learn that. :(

The fury is fast enough to stillhave the flames miss, but the Stinger will jst become Zebranky food. Roasted Zebranky food.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:21 am 
Yehat Revolutionist

krulle wrote:
1 ZFP Stinger against the fleet of Avengers?

Well done!

The disadvantage when fihting short range weapon ships against the Avenger simply is, that even if you KNOW the Avenger is facing away, getting within flame range means toast, as uncloaking by fire button mean autoaiming the Avenger for the enemy ship...
Took me a bit to learn that. :(

The fury is fast enough to stillhave the flames miss, but the Stinger will jst become Zebranky food. Roasted Zebranky food.

Actually, the Fury is worse than the Stinger against the Avenger, in my opinion. Its range is terrible - you basically have to get within flamer range to attack, a fact which your increased speed doesn't balance out. With the Stinger, all you have to do to win is... not get within the range of the Avenger's Hellfire Spout. That's much easier than trying to regularly dodge it.

Also managed two and a half Dreadnoughts with my Stinger, now that I'm on a non-laggy computer. Even managed to kill one of them with the Tongue alone. Fourteen is a long way off though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:31 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
14 Awesome Cyborg ZFP Stingers (14 x 6 = 84 pts.)
Vs.
14 Awesome Cyborg Chmmr Avatars
(14 x 30 = 420 pts.)

ANALYSIS: All ZFP quickly rendered dead by one Avatar. Nothing else to see here folks. Move along please.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since we had brought up the Avatar, I figured, “Why not?” Ok, so that didn’t go so well. Hmmm… well it got me to thinking, “How would a fleet of AI Stingers do if they we set up against a stationary Avatar? Could they eventually take one down?” So…

“We come in peace, and with good will.” - Zoq
“But if you make one false move, you're vapor!” - Pik

Vs.
1 “Human”-controlled intentionally left Stationary Chmmr Avatar
(30 pts.)

Apathetic Avatar wins with only 10 total crew losses!

ANALYSIS:
Pathetic… absolutely pathetic. I mean, the Avatar basically had nobody at the wheel, all the little Chmmrs were safely tucked (for the most part) into their crystal beds while all of the firefight took place outside their windows. The Laser, the Tractor Beam, the turning jets and thrusters all remained off-line for the entire match (with the only one exception being when I had to maneuver the Avatar away from a planet when it got bumped by a Stinger during the course of the loosely-termed “battle”) but it still didn’t make any difference, since the circling ZapSats took care of all of the offense and defense. The ZFP’s approach was constantly apprehensive and finicky to the point of ridiculous, and the Stingers couldn’t help but drift into range of the satellite triplets and were subsequently blasted while desperately trying to get in a few shots of antimatter or an ill-advised tongue attempt. :P-smf

A disaster:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:10 am 
Ilwrath spawn

Heck, yeah. The Avatar is a deal breaker.
Against most ships, the different specialities may mean a difficult fight but indeed a somewhat fair chance.... (Especially if balancing points)
But the ZapSats are a deal breaker against small ships.

To balance the fights, it would be nice if smaller ships having only short range weapons have an automagic speciality deflecting ZapSat damage...
The Ur-Quan Dreadnought has virtually no defence, and their fighters are weak. Compared to the SC2-new ships (new over SC1 ships), they are underpowered.
Also in view of the Ur-Quan Marauder. A better balancing would've been necessary, but I understand the game was rushed back then, and continuity towards SC1 also has its perks.

Anyway, thanks for proving the inevitable demise of the Frungy champions if they would ever anger the Chmmr...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:55 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“The only other starships we have encountered are strange tumbling red probes which profess to be on a peaceful mission...” - Zoq
“...but then attack like slavering Zebrankys.” – Pik

Vs.
14 Awesome Cyborg Slylandro Probes
(14 x 17 = 238 pts.)

Slylandro wins with 11 remaining Probes!

ANALYSIS:
So much for signing up our ZFP friends to Probe disposal services. The Stingers are quite maneuverable and they’re very fast, but not nearly enough so to outrun or shake off an attacking Probe; the Probe’s electrical attack swarmed the Stingers and zapped them repeatedly, while the ZFP vessels could only helplessly attempt to counter attack with their Antimatter Spray, which is so sporadic of a dispersal pattern that the quickness of the Probes skirting about often times dodged most of the assault, and they’d only periodically withdraw to find an asteroid to re-energize their batteries before resuming the shock treatment. Sometimes when the Probe would zoom in to close proximity, the Stingers would then make a desperate tongue attack that always failed by a long-shot, making the ZFP look even more foolish than ever in this pitiful match-up.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“You see, when it got to the threesome, the flaming wheel was going at a pretty good clip and it ran smack into the Zoq, killing him.” - Pik

Vs.
14 Awesome Cyborg Thraddash Torches
(14 x 10 = 140 pts.)

Thraddash wins with 6 remaining Torches!

ANALYSIS:
Since I’ve discovered that the Thraddash are part of the Hierarchy, I thought I’d see how well the ZFP could handle them. This battle was a little more evenly matched, and the ZFP scored 100 points -- 16 points in their favor. This of course is of little consolation to the fallen fleet, but there were some interesting takeaways to draw from the battle, not the least of which was how the Stingers successfully landed 3 tongue attacks for some nice-looking insta-kills! However, the Thraddash imposed an interesting problem to the ZFP’s AI, since the Torch could keep up and overtake (via its Afterburner) the Stinger, which always seemed to be retreating, leaving its backside vulnerable to multiple forward torpedo attacks. When the Stinger would realize their getting chipped away by the rockets, they’d turn around and fly towards the Torch, only to find themselves running smack dab into a “flaming wheel” of afterburner plasma exhaust.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Captain, we are delighted that your people have made this choice!” - Zoq
“Now WE won't get slaughtered!” - Pik

Vs.
14 Awesome Cyborg Yehat Terminators
(14 x 23 = 322 pts.)

Yehat wins with only one single crew loss!!

ANALYSIS:
I’ve had some dealings with the Yehat, so I thought it might be worthwhile to see how the ZFP would do facing a fleet of Terminators. As difficult as it was for me to believe as I looked on in astonishment, this match-up was even worse than the Chmmr. The Yehat sliced through the entire ZFP fleet like a hot knife through butter! :o Their shields easily repelled any and all attacks (except for a single piece of antimatter) and then blew through the Stingers effortlessly. The ZFP were all slaughtered and offered little resistance whatsoever. Ouchie.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:46 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Death 999 wrote:
The starbase isn't available in combat, you know…

I wouldn’t be so sure about that! :lol:

“We will transport officers and our Stinger design to your base immediately!” - Zoq

1 ZFP Stinger (6 pts.)
Vs.
1 Hierarchy Starbase
(420,000 pts.)

Results: ZFP Wins!

ANALYSIS: I’ll let the taped footage of the battle speak for itself:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:21 pm 
Atum-ta the Sixth

Quasispatial wrote:
I'll give it a try, though. Might be interesting. I mean, I tried one match right now, but I'm on my laptop and it's generally awful when it comes to framerate. I only managed to kill one Dreadnought before my Stinger was summarily slaughtered by the second, so defeating all fourteen... will be a great challenge. The "Wrath of the Lords" fleet will certainly take some time to defeat...

That being said, perhaps I'll take the time to revisit some of the older ship discussions. Run a few games with, say, the Fury or something. For variety, you know.

Don't feel obligated. But if anyone can pull it off, I'd say you have the best shot around here.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:29 pm 
Hunam adventurer

Help me prove my dad wrong. He's an old hand at sc2 and thinks the ZFP stinger sucks. IT'S TOUNGING TIME!