Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Childrens' play log
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:54 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Death 999 wrote:
Daughter suggested that 'Linch-Nas-Ploh' might be Draconis.

Is there any particular reason she arrived at this possibility, or is it just because of the unknown circle?

Also, on a side note, I watched the movie "Arrival" over the weekend. I couldn't help but notice the aliens in the movie reminded me of your son's Urcois or Ithrois.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:40 am 
ZFP Peacekeeper

The Troglodyte wrote:
Death 999 wrote:

Is there any particular reason she arrived at this possibility, or is it just because of the unknown circle?

Mainly because it was long and thin (check) and was surrounding a thing.

~~~~
We headed back home. Planned to go check out old Chenjesu sphere to see if we could find them. Also planned to check for Pkunk.

TROGLODYTE: I am going to check in detail whether you've seen all this before showing it to you.

Grr. This is annoying. Is there a summary of your missions so far, somewhere?

25k RU! Welcomed the Orz to the base, got the warning about probes, and distress call from ZFP.

Built up ship with 2 tracking modules, 2 extra-large fuel tanks, forward and spread blasters, 3 dynamos, 2 crew modules, and the rest more cargo bays. Also bought 2 nemeses. Wow, somehow we lost 40 crew. Well, that should drop off now that we have all the lander shields.

Headed to ZFP directly, since that sounded urgent. Paused to let a probe catch up so we wouldn't possibly fight it near Ur-Quan.

Fought the Kohr-Ah at the ZFP with a Spathi, got the 4 free ships. Wondering where to go next now that we're here.

Last edited by Death 999 on Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:45 am 
Arilou wiseguy

I cannot remember The Troglodyte having been there already, good you spoilered it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:19 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

This should pretty much cover it:

Mission 1: Vela to Sol

Discovered the slave-shielded Earth, Starbase and Ur-Quan Drone.
Met Commander Hayes, went to Mercury for radioactives, came back, found Moon Base, came back again and met Ilwrath, learned about Pkunk, blew up uncloaked Avenger.
Outfitted Vindicator and listened to a history lesson from Hayes.

Mission 2: Explored and mined most of Sol

Mission 3: Finished Sol & met Fwiffo

Learned about Spathiwa and a subtle reference to Delta Lyncis.
Hayes reported about Rigel upon return to base.

Mission 4: Explored and mined the surrounding stars and met my first of many Probes.

Hayes reported about Melnorme in Alpha Centauri when we returned to base.

Mission 5: Met the Melnorme in Alpha Centauri and mined the Centauri region

Mission 6: Met Pkunk

Did some business with Melnorme and met the Pkunk.
Went to Gamma Krueger and received the Clear Spindle and 4 Pkunk ships.

Mission 7: Met Tanaka

Explored and mined Ptolemae and Gorno.
Met Tanaka, insult/retreat/rinse/repeat, convinced him we were friends, learned about Zeta Sextantis rainbow world and possible Mycon device at Beta Brahe.
Learned all possible info from Melnorme, and bought more tech.

Mission 8: Met ZFP, ZEX, the Orz, Talana & the Spathi

Went to Rigel and met the ZFP, who told us to go to their homeworld in Alpha Tucanae.
Went to Vela and found it to be slave-shielded, and guarded by an Ur-Quan Dreadnought, which we destroyed.
Went to Alpha Cerenkov and met Admiral ZEX and learned about the Shofixti females in his possession.
Met other VUX and experimented with learning all possible dialogue.
Studied the maps and made a possible connection between the creature ZEX wants and Delta Lyncis, but it remains unconfirmed so far.
Met the Orz, made an alliance with them and found the Taalo Shield along with the Androsynth's destroyed homeworld.
Discovered the Pkunk had begun their first migration.
Went to Betelgeuse and met Talana.
Went to Epsilon Gruis and met some Spathi along the way.
Met with the Spathi High Council and removed all of the Evil Ones from their homeworld, and then made an alliance with the Spathi.
We stopped off at Alpha Illuminati and purchased all remaining tech and info from the Melnorme, and then we returned home.

Mission 9: Ilwrath, Yehat & Mycon...oh my!

Went to Procyon and found the Chenjesu/Mmrnmhrm slave-shielded world and their orbital platform, and we had to battle the Ilwrath.
Convinced the Pkunk to turn around, and then we went to Yehat space, but couldn't accomplish much with them.
Found the rainbow world in Zeta Sextantis, and after exploring more of VUX space for awhile, we headed into Mycon space.
Met the Mycon, didn't learn much from them, and found a ton of Mycon Podships orbiting Epsilon Scorpii I and Beta Brahe I.
Explored the Mycon region very thoroughly and eventually found 3 Egg Cases (Beta Copernicus, Gamma Scorpii & Gamma Brahe) and another rainbow world in Gamma Kepler, but also discovered the Spathi's SOI had disappeared.
Showed Talana the egg cases and she agreed to help us if we could find their Syreen ships in a vault.
Began the search, and started by going towards Epsilon Gruis, where we discovered the Spathi had slave-shielded themselves and left us the Umgah Caster on their moon.
Went to Alpha Tucanae and made an alliance with the ZFP, who told us about a door in Epsilon Camelopardalis, so we tried to go there, but ran into Ur-Quan Kzer-Za and Kohr-Ah, so we found the secret vault is in Epsilon Camelopardalis, but because of fuel constraints and too many UQ, had to use the time portal to reset.
Discovered the Pkunk had begun their second migration.

Mission 10: Pkunk Cryogenics Experiment - present

Last edited by The Troglodyte on Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:41 pm, edited 11 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:23 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

Thanks! So yes, we have now gone places and/or done things you have not.

Maybe, link that from the head of your log thread, too?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:43 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Death 999 wrote:
Maybe, link that from the head of your log thread, too?

Check it out! I went ahead and linked each mission with their spot for quick and easy access.

Death 999 wrote:
The Troglodyte wrote:
Death 999 wrote:

Mainly because it was long and thin (check) and was surrounding a thing.

Well, it does look a long thin beast has possibly eaten something, and that is a huge yellow star in its belly! Hmmmm..... interesting!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:25 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

It happened to be the 17th when we were planning, so we saw the big UNKNOWN star in one of the directions we were considering going. I intervened to point out that it was more than 3 days away (more like 30) when they said to set a course for it.

So they decided to check out the Umgah, since they were in the general direction that the ZFP had said the probes were coming from, and also in the general direction of Draconis, with its own Unknown circle and also for being a Linch-Nas-Ploh candidate.

Hit Mu Orionis. Actually took an RU loss on mining up ONE magnetic monopole for 2.6 a whopping fuel (place was nasty enough did not stick around to get all the base metals).

Hit Lambda Orionis. Talked with an Umgah. Suggested we could put aside our past differences. They said the Ur-Quan fealty oath was a pretty big deal to them and attacked, and we blew them up with a Spathi. Now we have around 30 battlegroups converging on our location. We'll probably just head out of the system and go somewhere less unwelcoming, but we haven't committed to that yet.

Last edited by Death 999 on Fri May 05, 2017 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:32 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

Left the system, hit a probe. Talked, nothing really new. Then didn't notice an Umgah in front of us and hit them too. Talked, fought, lost 7 crew on the flagship. Headed more in the direction the ZFP said the probes are coming from. Visited alpha, delta, and epsilon Mensae.

I am concerned that they haven't gotten the hint that the targets live in a gas giant, so we'll go RIGHT BY THEM and waste our time. Or they could be attracted by how close we're getting to Draconis and detour. If we don't head off to Draconis, we are likely to hit Alpha Pavonis. I will not aim them that way. If they alternately get detoured into the UNKNOWN, then they might pick up that hint about the probes's origin. Or perhaps a visit to Greenish at Alpha Apodis will yield the information, but probably not.

(edited to strip spoiler tags)

Last edited by Death 999 on Fri May 05, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:21 am 
ZFP Peacekeeper

Trog, if you're looking at this anymore, just stop - it's going to be solid spoilers, and after this time I won't mark them because I'll know you aren't reading, OK?

Kids decided to divert over to Draconis. Hit Lambda Draconis, talked with and fought a bunch of Thraddash.

I advised them NOT to send the Thraddash at the Kohr-Ah for purely out-of-game reasons (you can't ally with them then, and this doesn't make game sense, so it's not a fair chllenge).

Then Alpha Apodis, and bought the Hellbore cannon tech. Also visited delta Apodis.

~~ separate session ~~

Visited Kappa Draconis. Fought a bunch of Thraddash. They said the probes are coming from the direction of Vega. That got them to get back on the Probes theme, and they headed out.

Stopped just as we were about to leave Thraddash space in order to have two last fights… and the last one was them forming Culture 20!

Sadly, they did not elect to make them say stupid things. Ah well.

Epsilon Corvi, Vega, Beta Corvi… and we missed the true source of probes for lack of the required hint. Presently at zeta corvi, way off in the corner. Maybe they'll work it out from the 'Vega-wards from Thraddash', which really narrows it down a lot. There are, like, four systems that could be - seven on the outside - and we've been to most of them. It won't be long until we're out altogether.

Incidentally, we're a bit low on fuel, but we have lots of bio-data, so we can refill easily at Alpha Apodis. They might get some hints from the Thraddash when they return.

Last edited by Death 999 on Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:38 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Yeah, you're right. Thanks for the heads-up. I was about to say something about it anyway.

I figured this would inevitably happen, but it looks as if your kids are progressing rather quickly, so that's great! But it looks like I'll have to stand clear for awhile.

Also, please feel free to remove the previous tags if you want to; it'll make it less tedious for anyone following along, especially if they'd like to read a quick refresher and not have to deal with spoil tags.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next