Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:35 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Balance Mod tournament Saturday 3rd of December 2016
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:11 pm 
Offline
Yehat Revolutionist
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:20 pm
Posts: 744
Location: 175.2 : 145.0
Quote:
Why send the Androsynth vs the mycon when you had Utwig? Does the balance mod somehow make that not as super-favorable?


I personally would have wanted to reserve it for Gekko's Slylandro; it's one of the few relatively sure probe-killers available.

_________________
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Balance Mod tournament Saturday 3rd of December 2016
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:21 pm 
Offline
Slylandro gasbags
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:16 pm
Posts: 1117
Location: Dallas, TX
Nuclear---------------VS----------Gekko
Image------------Image

...with commentary by The Troglodyte

Image

Ok, so here’s what we’ve got in store for you folks. We’re basically calling this the grudge match of the century, as these two are set to do battle in the space arena! Let’s take it down to ringside and take a quick look at their set-ups.

First we’ve got Nuclear, who’s chosen some pretty heavy hitters, including a Broodhome, Dreadnought, Avatar and a Jugger, and then a mixture of different types for versatility and speed, but due to the high cost of the big ones, it leaves Nuclear with 10 ships in total, so she’ll have to make the most of each ship.

Gekko, on the other hand, mostly went speed over firepower, choosing fast ships like a Scout, Stinger, Skiff, Probe, Fury and the ever-controversial Torch, but this allowed him to fill all 14 slots with ships!

Nuclear opens the round with a ZFP Stinger and an Umgah Drone for Gecko, both of which are great openers due to their expendability but both offer big bang for your starbuck. Both ships get their footing and the Stinger immediately tests its potential for a tongue attack by ramming the nearby planet! Ouch!

The Drone is forced to remain on the defensive while the Stinger looks for an opening. Suddenly, seemingly out of nowhere, Nuclear rushes in with the Stinger to attempt a vicious tongue attack, but Gecko is ready for it, and zips backwards just in the nick of time, and the Zoq-Fot-Pik is quickly torn apart as it enters the antimatter cone, its tongue attack barely missing its mark before its demise!

Nuclear takes only a moment before bringing in the Slylandro, which zig-zags back and forth in an attempt to fake-out the Umgah, but Gecko’s Drone is determined to make things difficult, inflicting some damage of its own by zipping backwards as soon as the Probe enters range, but the electrical discharges are simply too much for the blobs to handle and the Drone is destroyed, but not before it takes out half of the Probe’s “crew.”

Knowing he has ships to spare, Gecko sends in a Stinger of his own, which is able to keep Nuclear’s Slylandro at bay for a moment by firing a spread of antimatter spray, but the perpetual motion causes the Probe to keep with the initiative, and as soon as there was an opportunity, it moves in and almost destroys the Stinger, but a last ditch effort from Gecko’s ZFP destroys the Probe.

Not wanting to bring in one of her big ships in just yet, Nuclear opts for a Cruiser, which at first looks as if it will make short work of the ZFP flying at the top portion of the screen, but the homing missiles fail to hit their target, and the Stinger comes roaring back with a vengeance! Nuclear’s Earthling ship never fully engaged its engines, and suddenly becomes a sitting duck! The Cruiser engages the PDL to eliminate the Stinger, but after the first shot lands, Gecko’s ZFP hits the broadside of the Cruiser and lands a perfectly placed tongue attack! The excitement is short-lived, however, as the second shot from Nuke’s PDL finishes off the Stinger.

Gecko’s next choice is an Ilwrath Avenger, who’s cloaking device creates an unfavorable match-up for the Cruiser, since its missiles are left flying blind, so Nuclear doesn’t even bother launching her nuclears, but the confusion of the whereabouts of the hidden Avenger causes the Cruiser to hesitate, but even the small delay proves too long, as the Ilwrath swoops in and scorches the Cruiser to a burnt crisp, which only manages to get in a few cheap shots with its PDL, which mostly targets the puffs of flames and a nearby asteroid, and also does minimal damage to the Ilwrath vessel.

Nuclear decides to fight fire with fire…literally! I’m merely guessing here, but it appears that a modification allows both pilots to be aware of their own ship’s position, and the auto-facing mechanism has also been removed, and they both try to seek each other out.

What will happen next? Will Nuclear’s fully crewed Avenger be able to avenge the fallen Cruiser, or will Gecko’s Ilwrath torch Nuclear’s plans? Find out on the next exciting installment of “Star Control: Grudge Match”! Oh wait… everybody probably already knows what happens! Oh well.

_________________
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” - Khan Noonien Singh


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Balance Mod tournament Saturday 3rd of December 2016
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:00 am 
Offline
Ilwrath torturer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:55 pm
Posts: 409
Location: Espoo, Finland
The Troglodyte wrote:
[size=200]Nuclear---------------VS----------Gekko
Image------------Image


I was hesitant as you'd need to know a fair bit about the net melee to make a commentary about it, but this is actually pretty entertaining.

_________________
Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Balance Mod tournament Saturday 3rd of December 2016
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:38 pm 
Offline
Slylandro gasbags
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:16 pm
Posts: 1117
Location: Dallas, TX
Thanks Gekko! That, of course, was my only goal. :D ...And there's more to come! (after a few words from our sponsors)

_________________
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” - Khan Noonien Singh


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Balance Mod tournament Saturday 3rd of December 2016
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:04 pm 
Offline
Slylandro gasbags
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:10 pm
Posts: 1609
The Troglodyte wrote:
Nuclear---------------VS----------Gekko
Image------------Image

...with commentary by The Troglodyte

Image

Ok, so here’s what we’ve got in store for you folks. We’re basically calling this the grudge match of the century, as these two are set to do battle in the space arena! Let’s take it down to ringside and take a quick look at their set-ups.

First we’ve got Nuclear, who’s chosen some pretty heavy hitters, including a Broodhome, Dreadnought, Avatar and a Jugger, and then a mixture of different types for versatility and speed, but due to the high cost of the big ones, it leaves Nuclear with 10 ships in total, so she’ll have to make the most of each ship.

Gekko, on the other hand, mostly went speed over firepower, choosing fast ships like a Scout, Stinger, Skiff, Probe, Fury and the ever-controversial Torch, but this allowed him to fill all 14 slots with ships!

Nuclear opens the round with a ZFP Stinger and an Umgah Drone for Gecko, both of which are great openers due to their expendability but both offer big bang for your starbuck. Both ships get their footing and the Stinger immediately tests its potential for a tongue attack by ramming the nearby planet! Ouch!

The Drone is forced to remain on the defensive while the Stinger looks for an opening. Suddenly, seemingly out of nowhere, Nuclear rushes in with the Stinger to attempt a vicious tongue attack, but Gecko is ready for it, and zips backwards just in the nick of time, and the Zoq-Fot-Pik is quickly torn apart as it enters the antimatter cone, its tongue attack barely missing its mark before its demise!

Nuclear takes only a moment before bringing in the Slylandro, which zig-zags back and forth in an attempt to fake-out the Umgah, but Gecko’s Drone is determined to make things difficult, inflicting some damage of its own by zipping backwards as soon as the Probe enters range, but the electrical discharges are simply too much for the blobs to handle and the Drone is destroyed, but not before it takes out half of the Probe’s “crew.”

Knowing he has ships to spare, Gecko sends in a Stinger of his own, which is able to keep Nuclear’s Slylandro at bay for a moment by firing a spread of antimatter spray, but the perpetual motion causes the Probe to keep with the initiative, and as soon as there was an opportunity, it moves in and almost destroys the Stinger, but a last ditch effort from Gecko’s ZFP destroys the Probe.

Not wanting to bring in one of her big ships in just yet, Nuclear opts for a Cruiser, which at first looks as if it will make short work of the ZFP flying at the top portion of the screen, but the homing missiles fail to hit their target, and the Stinger comes roaring back with a vengeance! Nuclear’s Earthling ship never fully engaged its engines, and suddenly becomes a sitting duck! The Cruiser engages the PDL to eliminate the Stinger, but after the first shot lands, Gecko’s ZFP hits the broadside of the Cruiser and lands a perfectly placed tongue attack! The excitement is short-lived, however, as the second shot from Nuke’s PDL finishes off the Stinger.

Gecko’s next choice is an Ilwrath Avenger, who’s cloaking device creates an unfavorable match-up for the Cruiser, since its missiles are left flying blind, so Nuclear doesn’t even bother launching her nuclears, but the confusion of the whereabouts of the hidden Avenger causes the Cruiser to hesitate, but even the small delay proves too long, as the Ilwrath swoops in and scorches the Cruiser to a burnt crisp, which only manages to get in a few cheap shots with its PDL, which mostly targets the puffs of flames and a nearby asteroid, and also does minimal damage to the Ilwrath vessel.

Nuclear decides to fight fire with fire…literally! I’m merely guessing here, but it appears that a modification allows both pilots to be aware of their own ship’s position, and the auto-facing mechanism has also been removed, and they both try to seek each other out.

What will happen next? Will Nuclear’s fully crewed Avenger be able to avenge the fallen Cruiser, or will Gecko’s Ilwrath torch Nuclear’s plans? Find out on the next exciting installment of “Star Control: Grudge Match”! Oh wait… everybody probably already knows what happens! Oh well.

Now that's a wall of text that I can read. Well done Troglodyte :). Next netmelee battle should have you as the official commentator ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Balance Mod tournament Saturday 3rd of December 2016
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:04 pm 
Offline
Yehat Revolutionist
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:28 am
Posts: 756
Location: Citadel Station
Thanks for that Trog :)-smf if you can get Angelfish to read more than 3 paragraphs of text in the same post, you know you've done good. And I concur with his notion of your commentary.

oldlaptop wrote:
Quote:
Why send the Androsynth vs the mycon when you had Utwig? Does the balance mod somehow make that not as super-favorable?


I personally would have wanted to reserve it for Gekko's Slylandro; it's one of the few relatively sure probe-killers available.


I don't know what I was thinking when I wasted my Androsynth lol. I'm gonna' blame the fact that it was about 11 in the morning here at the time and I was hungover and not thinking straight. And the fact that I have almost no experience with or against Mycons. If Gekko's fleet has taught me anything though, it's that variety can easily beat firepower. A wide selection of small counterpicks can easily overwhelm a couple of flagships when played carefully, as he did.

_________________
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Balance Mod tournament Saturday 3rd of December 2016
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:41 pm 
Offline
Ilwrath torturer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:55 pm
Posts: 409
Location: Espoo, Finland
Nuclear wrote:
If Gekko's fleet has taught me anything though, it's that variety can easily beat firepower. A wide selection of small counterpicks can easily overwhelm a couple of flagships when played carefully, as he did.


A thing a lot of players tend to do is bank on 30 point ships, but a skilled opponent will always have the 3 counters in his fleet and has trained enough to reliably always take them out. After that the enemy has lost 90 points out of his 200. Often times I take only one 30 pointer. Another reason I often skip 30 point ships entirely is because a lot of new players who come to these events have no idea how to destroy them and I end up killing 75% of their fleet with one ship. That isn't fun. A fleet of small ships will result in a larger number of smaller games with plenty of variety and learning to be had. Fast ships are fun too.

A mixed bag of small ships is a pretty risky fleet to play if the opponent can get some true mileage out of, say, a Chenjesu.

_________________
Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Balance Mod tournament Saturday 3rd of December 2016
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:40 am 
Offline
Slylandro gasbags
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:10 pm
Posts: 1609
Nuclear wrote:
Thanks for that Trog :)-smf if you can get Angelfish to read more than 3 paragraphs of text in the same post, you know you've done good. And I concur with his notion of your commentary.

oldlaptop wrote:
Quote:
Why send the Androsynth vs the mycon when you had Utwig? Does the balance mod somehow make that not as super-favorable?


I personally would have wanted to reserve it for Gekko's Slylandro; it's one of the few relatively sure probe-killers available.


I don't know what I was thinking when I wasted my Androsynth lol. I'm gonna' blame the fact that it was about 11 in the morning here at the time and I was hungover and not thinking straight. And the fact that I have almost no experience with or against Mycons. If Gekko's fleet has taught me anything though, it's that variety can easily beat firepower. A wide selection of small counterpicks can easily overwhelm a couple of flagships when played carefully, as he did.


The androsynth would be my choice as well, I always use it against slow ships like the Mycon. The utwig is something I usually save up until I encounter a chmmr. I'm by no means a melee expert so don't follow my advice, but then you understand my reasoning :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Balance Mod tournament Saturday 3rd of December 2016
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:07 pm 
Offline
Slylandro gasbags
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:16 pm
Posts: 1117
Location: Dallas, TX
Angelfish wrote:
Now that's a wall of text that I can read. Well done Troglodyte :). Next netmelee battle should have you as the official commentator ;)

Nuclear wrote:
Thanks for that Trog :)-smf if you can get Angelfish to read more than 3 paragraphs of text in the same post, you know you've done good. And I concur with his notion of your commentary.

After reading these, you guys had me feeling all warm and gushy inside... like a Pkunk on morphine or something! :D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And… we’re back! And you know what that means! That’s right! It’s once again time for…

"Star Control: Grudge Match!!!"

When we last left our two battling contestants, Nuclear had just brought in an Ilwrath to take on Gekko’s Ilwrath, and it gave us a nice opportunity to witness how the Avenger operates in Net Melee, plus it was interesting to see the two cloaked ships attempt to predict the others moves, like an invisible chess match.

Actually, if we’re comparing this match-up with games, with all of the quick de-cloaking and re-cloaking, it would probably be more suitable to say it was more like a cross between peek-a-boo and whack-a-mole! As could be predicted, both ships inflicted massive damage on each other, and it took several engagements for one of the ships to finally emerge on top, and Nuke’s Avenger flies through victorious as the smoke settles, although down to only the one spider captain, Nuclear spirals the ship around letting loose the flame thrower in celebration!

The cloak is quickly re-engaged, however, when Gekko sends in a Shofixti Scout to finish off the last Ilwrath. A good choice at this juncture, I might add, since the proposition of taking on a fully-crewed Avenger is certainly possible, but it would be cumbersome and difficult…not to mention lengthy. But with only one little crew dot, the Scout speeds in, hoping for a quick victory.

But Nuclear’s not going down without a fight, and the Ilwrath uses the cloak to try and confuse the Shofixti’s positioning, and it comes fairly close to forcing the Scout to engage the glory device, but Gekko remains patient, and after a few close misses, one of the Mendokusai Energy Darts hits the target during a strafing attack, thus destroying the last Ilwrath.

Nuclear is now faced with a tough decision, since now she’s down to her remaining 6, and they’re ALL heavy hitters: A Guardian, Avatar, Broodhome, Nemesis, Dreadnought and a Jugger. Sending in a Nemesis at this point just seems like too much of a pain, and Gekko would likely make the fishies life hell, but a Guardian, Jugger or an Avatar would be far too susceptible to taking big damage from a suicide fireball attack, so that leaves either the Dreadnought or Broodhome.

Nuke chooses the Chenjesu, and the Shofixti doesn’t waste any time making a bee-line for the massive crystalline ship! It’s obvious that Gekko wants to charge in and get as close as possible before self-detonation, but Nuclear starts flinging crystal shards in rapid succession and the Scout’s captain yanks too hard on the glory device handle, breaking it before it has a chance to explode into Divine Wind, and is instead destroyed by a direct hit! Nuclear's choice proved to be the correct one.

Before Gekko makes his next choice, Nuke’s Broodhome reaches full power, so the Chenjesu releases a DOGI and starts charging up for another. Gekko takes a moment, and decides this a good time to bring in an Orz, which is an interesting choice to go up against the crystal tank.

The danger the Broodhome poses to the Nemesis is noticeable early on, as the Chenjesu begins lobbing projectiles across the screen, but the Orz is able to stay away from both the DOGI and weapon, and manages to perform a gravity whip as a 2nd DOGI is released. This maneuver helps put the Orz vessel in better position to release a long line of Space Marines, but it comes at a hefty price in the form of a direct hit by a well-placed Photon Crystal Shard by Nuke.

Several Marines board the Broodhome, so it becomes shock troops versus “shocking” troops! After the intruders inflict heavy damage, they are all finally zapped, and the Chenjesu is down to half staff, but the brief confusion that was caused by focusing on the approaching marines results in the Broodhome ramming head first into the large blue planet, which had just come into view after the Chenjesu got up to full speed, thus taking another portion of the crew, and shortly thereafter a 3rd DOGI is dispatched.

The Chenjesu continues to attack, but the Nemesis keeps its distance, and while even just one piece of crystal shrapnel would kill the remaining pair of fish, none of Nuclear’s attacks can get close enough. Gekko launches the last available marine in a last ditch effort, and then uses the DOGI triplets essentially as a shield, and the Marine is able to board the Broodhome and amazingly kills its remaining 6 crew members! Good battle!

Then Nuclear goes with the Avatar, and the Orz can tell pretty quickly it’s all about to be over, as the Chmmr activates the tractor beam, dragging the Nemesis nearer. The 2 fishies do their best to do some damage before being buried in the backyard, but all of the Orz ship’s attacks are intercepted by the ZapSats, and the Avatar's space scalpel cuts the Nemesis into ribbons!

Now that Nuclear has unleashed the powerful Avatar, will there be any way for Gecko to counter it, or is all of his little ships about to get sliced and diced like the Orz? Stay tuned for the next exciting episode when SCGM continues!

_________________
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” - Khan Noonien Singh


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Balance Mod tournament Saturday 3rd of December 2016
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:50 am 
Offline
Hunam adventurer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:44 am
Posts: 16
Location: Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England
Nuclear wrote:
You know, me and Gekko were discussing in IRC the possibility of doing a commentary on that match... I suppose if there's a demand for it, it might actually be a lot of fun :)


Oh, perhaps I should give it a go, since I'm back in the UQM commentary groove :)

_________________
UQM and Project 6014 LPs - I've been quite busy recently, but I'm back to try to finish the job! -- https://www.youtube.com/user/TLJGames


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group - Theme modification by Lukipela and custom theme art by Zensmurfy