The war that never happened...

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Re: The war that never happened...

Post by Angelfish » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:19 pm

Quasispatial wrote:
Angelfish wrote:
Alvarin wrote:15, 17 - close enough. Clashes in Syria with Putin at one side and now Trump at the other... Can get very ugly very quick.
I guess so. But Hillary also was going to retain the american nuclear arsenal so that wouldn't have been any better.
Well, better to retain it than to launch it, eh? :)
She said that she always kept the 'nuclear option' in her mind.
Which is kinda fucked up given the fact that 3km from where I am now American nukes are being stored.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:20 pm

Angelfish wrote:She said that she always kept the 'nuclear option' in her mind.
Which is kinda fucked up given the fact that 3km from where I am now American nukes are being stored.
All US presidents need to keep the nuclear option in mind, since they're being handed sole power to decide when to employ it. MAD is still a concern, though somewhat less than it was during the cold war, and every commander in chief has to be ready to make the decision to launch or not should they be called upon to do so.

That said, it was probably a pretty irresponsible move to hand the keys over to a guy who wants to "bomb the shit out of" people.

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:23 pm

Draxas wrote:
Angelfish wrote:She said that she always kept the 'nuclear option' in her mind.
All US presidents need to keep the nuclear option in mind, since they're being handed sole power to decide when to employ it. MAD is still a concern, though somewhat less than it was during the cold war, and every commander in chief has to be ready to make the decision to launch or not should they be called upon to do so.

That said, it was probably a pretty irresponsible move to hand the keys over to a guy who wants to "bomb the shit out of" people.
I do believe it would have been more prudent to abide by the guidelines of the following Commander Hayes quote:
"SUMMARY: Unless there is a strong reason to do otherwise
DO NOT ACTIVATE THIS DEVICE! LEAVE IT ALONE!"
Last edited by Quasispatial on Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:38 pm

Suggest spoiler tagging. Trog hasn't seen that yet. Though really, it's not too surprising that such a thing might exist in-game, and when you get it, it's really unsurprising that that's what he'd say.

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:12 pm

Death 999 wrote:Suggest spoiler tagging. Trog hasn't seen that yet. Though really, it's not too surprising that such a thing might exist in-game, and when you get it, it's really unsurprising that that's what he'd say.
Good point.
All done.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.