The Orz Nemesis

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: The Orz Nemesis

Post by Quasispatial » Thu May 12, 2016 9:24 am

Angelfish wrote:could you all please stop discussing the Orz and IDF?
It might make them upset.
Do not worry. They cannot *smell* this discussion yet.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Thu May 12, 2016 1:31 pm

Quasispatial wrote:
their fingers are almost here!

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Thu May 12, 2016 9:42 pm

I don't see any discussion of IDF in this thread, so I'm safe. And I'm not going to go back and check. But I don't think there was, anyway.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri May 13, 2016 10:18 pm

Angelfish wrote:
Quasispatial wrote:
their fingers are almost here!
Death 999 wrote:I don't see any discussion of IDF in this thread, so I'm safe. And I'm not going to go back and check. But I don't think there was, anyway.
Yeah, it was me Death. But I agree with Quasi, they're completely unaware of us as of right now. So don't worry Angelfish, we can all understand your apprehension but there's really nothing to be concerned about. Just keep telling yourself it's weird alien fishes in a game and nothing else.

Speaking of which, however, by pure coincidence I've done my own independent study of Inter-dimensional fatigue waves and I think I've even made a few breakthroughs. I rigged up a few experimental models and the results are really promising. I think if I'm able to get approved by NASA we may eventually be able to use this technology to achieve superphotonic flight within a decade, maybe even in just a couple of years.

Hmmm... that's odd, even as I'm typing this I'm seeing unusual images on my display screen, as if there's something looking at me from inside the screen, and now it looks like something is actually coming out of it! Oh no! Must destroy everything before it's too late! Must delete this message before other people see it! NO!!! Something's preventing me from removing the post! Don't look! Don't look or it may see you too! HELP!! Now it's moving closer to me! It's got me!

AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu May 26, 2016 3:35 pm

"Hello! I will say again for extra enjoyment. So much a fun game. Hello! Hello! I will *spit* *slow time* words for better *dancing*. Do you know? Orz can *dance* very well. Now you are a *happy camper* and Orz can give *heavy space* ships for *dancing*. Orz will give. Orz ships have the GO! GO!. Do you know? These are best for letting go near *heavy space* planet bodies. Then GO! GO! can going fastest to enter ships of the *other*. Then it is *happy time*."
2 Awesome Cyborg Orz Nemeses (46) Vs. 14 Awesome Cyborg Yehat Terminators (322)
Orz gets 2 kills worth 46 points.

ANALYSIS: A wash points-wise, but don’t tell that to the mourning fishies back home, especially the brave Space Marines that would get sent, sometimes only a pair at time, to get an opportunity to bounce off a shield before getting gunned down, but the occasional Orz would make it aboard, and accounted for both Terminators destruction. Still not enough to get it done over an extended period of time, and the Yehat eventually took them down. Then I decided to give it a try myself:
2 The Troglodyte–controlled Orz Nemeses Vs. 14 Extremely Predictable and Stupid Cyborg Yehat Terminators

Trog gets 5 kills worth 115 points!

ANALYSIS: A victory, but I felt I could’ve done better, but it’s still far better than anybody else can do, and that’s just the cold fact, Jack! :P My approach was very simple: I kept my distance and deployed max amount of marines whenever I could. I expected much better results, but the Yehat would always take down the very first arriving marine every time, before it needed its shield up all the time. It could still sneak in a few retaliation blasts from time to time, but it always came down to how many marines could get inside. If only one made it in, the Terminator’s crew could take him down after a few crew were lost, but 3 or 4 marines proved to be an onslaught in quick order; it must’ve been a blood bath in there! However, once I was down to the captain only, there wasn’t much more I could do but take potshots at the Yehat, and was inevitably destroyed.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:08 pm

"So you see, Captain, if you attack me, you will face the greatest military tactician in VUX history, commanding an almost infinite number of enemy combat ships... and the battle will be to the Death!"
2 Awesome Cyborg Orz Nemeses (2 x 23 = 46 points)
Vs.
Admiral ZEX's Battle Fleet of Intruder-class Warships (12 points each)
Orz gets 16 kills worth 192 points!

ANALYSIS: Tell Admiral ZEX, "We will fight you regardless of your Precursor Artifact!" Actually, the VUX should count their lucky stars that the Orz have, for the most part, let them off the hook with a simple reduction of *silly cow* status, because otherwise the Orz would certainly have their way with the VUX, if warranted. Fortunately for the war hero, several of ZEX's loyal commanders were wise enough to attack the incoming Space Marines with the powerful Gigawatt Laser, which would roast-n-toast some of the would-be intruders from intruding in the Intruder...intrusively, but in-truth-there (<---did you catch that one? ;)) was usually a good score of marines that still entered, which meant it was lights out for the poor VUX crew. Also, there were a few lucky breaks which allowed a Limpet or two to attach to the Nemesis' hull and slow it down, which, especially after the marines were depleted to a sparse crew, caused for the battle to drag on for a bit. The Orz was careful to place its shots, but once it was aligned properly, it could unleash its salvo and do great damage to the slower VUX, but sooner or later the Orz would make a mistep and gave the VUX a few small windows of oppurtunity to finish off the Orz...uh, intrusion.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:35 pm

We asked the Orz to take a look at this Mycon phrase:

"A single spore lands, finds nourishment in decay and soon attains maturity... In turn it exhales a cloud of new life, a thousand spores, each lands, finds nourishment in decay... so progresses Juffo-Wup."

Then we asked the Orz to try and interpret what the Mycon were talking about and describe what the phrase could possibly mean, and here was their reply:

"Who are you? You are not Orz! We are Orz! Orz are happy *people energy* from the outside. Inside is good. So much good that Orz will always *germinate*. Can you come together with Orz for *parties*?"

Well, at least they mentioned germination!
2 Awesome Cyborg Orz Nemeses (2 x 23 = 46 points)
Vs.
14 Awesome Cyborg Mycon Podships (14 x 21 = 294 points)
Orz gets 4 kills worth 84 points!

ANALYSIS: If it weren't for the persistence of the Orz to pursue the Mycon while releasing Space Marines, they might've done much better! "Go! Go!" was in full abundance, and marines were released without restriction, and some would boldy fly directly into the plasmoid to sacrifice themselves for the ones behind them, which would have a mushroom feast when they entered the Podship... if only they could get there fast enough! The Mycon would execute their retreat while waiting for full energy to regenerate their crew, only deploying plasma attacks when the Orz would venture in too close to sneak in a Howitzer Cannon assault, whereas the Orz would find themselves in trouble from some fish-seeking vengeance!
2 "button-mashing" for rapid Space Marine deployment Human-controlled Orz Nemeses
Vs.
14 Awesome Cyborg Mycon Podships
The Troglodyte gets 7 kills worth 168 points!

ANALYSIS: Not bad for my only strategy being to hold the secondary button down while rapidly tapping the space bar and flying away from any incoming plasmoids! I found the best method was to get myself into a position where the Mycon was flying after me and release as many marines as possible while cheering for my fish gladiators to vanquish the fierce, fiery fungus foes from within the confines of the Mycon vessel! It worked out pretty well for a while, until the marines finally could no longer "take the heat", plus I was never able to make good use of the Howitzer Cannon when I was down to only the captain, who both times wound up smacking into the side of the planet while preparing for an attack... How anticlimactic!!

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:08 am

"Nnnnnngaaaa!!!! I am *squeezing* the *juice*. You have become too close. You are *sick* for the last time! Nnnnnnggggaaaaaa!! It is not enough for *happy days* I am sure. More and more *juice!*"
2 Human Player Orz Nemeses (2 x 23 = 46 points)
Vs.
14 Awesome Cyborg Mycon Podships (14 x 21 = 294 points)
Summary: *Juice* takes zero damage worth zero points. All podships slain for a total worth of 294 points.

Analysis: What a curbstomp. Fourteen podships went up against a single enemy vessel, and now, it looks like *Juice*'s Nemesis won't even require new paint. Not a single casualty, not a single hit. Not a single use of Orz Marines. One thing's for certain: you're not beating this score. The Orz sure are *squeezing* the *juice* today.
As for how I did it, there are a few things which come to mind. Firstly, as you may have gathered from previous words, I did not use the Orzian Marine detachment at all. In normal circumstances, I would have waited for an opportune moment, then sent Marines streaming out like an unending torrent, but this time, there were fourteen ships. If I wanted to even have my first Nemesis intact, I could not use more than one marine against each podship, which for obvious reasons won't cut it. Thus, I decided to keep the health safe and sound within the hull.
Instead, I employed the Howitzer. Thanks to the Nemesis' speed, which is just enough to outrun a plasmoid, I could avoid the enemy's shots, and courtesy of the cannon's rotary mount, I could do so whilst simultaneously opening fire on the podship responsible for said plasmoids. The Howitzer had to work double-duty as a point-defense gun, but it all worked out well in the end. In truth, the hardest part is getting in the first speck of damage. After that, the Podship will be defanged, as it is too busy healing to properly shoot back. All in all, a successful combat session.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:16 pm

:D

The Rock says, "Bravo!"

Seriously though, awesome job! Combat analysis is loads of pure, whack crazy fun!!! :) I'll have to try it your way and see if I can bea-- ...well, not beat, since, as you pointed out, is impossible, but rather try and tie your score! We must all bow to the greatness of the mighty Quasi!

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:15 pm

One word of advice. In normal circumstances, there is rarely a good reason to send out marines 'till you're at one health. Keep at least two health in your flying tin-can so that you can tank a planetary collision. The Twins know I've messed up more slingshots than I can count, or simply ran into a planet that was still off-screen. Essentially, unless it is the marine or death, keep that extra health. It's your life insurance! Likewise, it may be wise to save enough health to be able to just tank one of the enemy's shots, since if you are fighting a ship like the Cruiser that might prove the difference between victory and defeat. Above all, however, remember that against the Podship you have the initiative. If you have to choose between avoiding damage and getting a faster kill, avoid the damage. The chance for a kill will come around eventually, but you're no Mycon. That lost health is well and truly gone.