Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Star Control television show
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:52 pm 
Ilwrath torturer

I always thought Star Control would make an excellent television show. The story is rich and the way shows are made today, with long drawn out plots over entire seasons, would allow Star Control to easily be converted into a tv series. It could start with the events of the Milieu in the first five minutes, but be very very vague about it. Like, the opening sequence in the pilot episode would be an unknown ship being chased through space and being destroyed. Then a quick view at the victorious captain revealing who we know to be the Ur-Quan. But he's brown. The screen stays on the Ur-Quan but it's features and colors change into the green Ur-Quan. It zoom back out and it's a Dreadnought leading a fleet of other Dreadnoughts. Then it could cut to the Humans and their introduction to the Chenjesu.

I mean there's so much content here for a show. BUT the only stipulation I would have would be that the aliens would have to be visualized using a combination of puppets and CGI. Similar to how Farscape did it. Not puppets like SC3, mind you. These would have to be accurate and so attentive to detail.

What are your thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Star Control television show
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:34 pm 
Yehat Revolutionist

Maloo Oture wrote:
What are your thoughts?

If done well, it would certainly be something worth watching. The key words are, however, done well. It would be too bad if they screwed it up.

I can certainly see them making a series out of the Crucible of Sentience, much in the same way how the Star Wars saga handled the Clone Wars' many battles. Then, eventually, the Sa-Matra would be brought into play, we would get to see the Alliance races fall one by one, and at the start of the next season, meet Zelnick. There is certainly enough content to make this a valid tactic. Letting us see iconic events such as the Battle in Draco or the Shofixti's ultimate sacrifice would obviously be a big plus, but I have no doubt that they could create many other battles. The conflict drew out over several years' time, after all.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:01 pm 
Ilwrath torturer

Quasispatial wrote:
Maloo Oture wrote:
What are your thoughts?

Snip.

You bring up a good point about the Clone Wars. Come to think of it, the show would probably be better animated rather than live action.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:14 am 
Yehat Revolutionist

Maloo Oture wrote:
Quasispatial wrote:
Maloo Oture wrote:
What are your thoughts?

Snip.

You bring up a good point about the Clone Wars. Come to think of it, the show would probably be better animated rather than live action.

Yes, animated was how my idea of it flowed all along. Not only does it work better with the slightly cartoony feel of the game's graphics, but making those Ur-Quan, Umgah, Mycon and the like look authentic with costumes would be difficult at best. You know how it ended up last time they tried to use real-world materials. Besides, making any real recordings with the star control setting would take far too long for a series.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:59 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

I don't think the star control races translate well into what the present day perceives as science fiction. Just take a look at how many star control cosplays there have been to see how star control costumes would work.. well.. they won't :).
Perhaps it would work well as a musical though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:45 pm 
Yehat Revolutionist

Angelfish wrote:

Taking a page from the talking pet's book, now are we?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:56 am 
Slylandro gasbags

Quasispatial wrote:
Angelfish wrote:

Taking a page from the talking pet's book, now are we?

I guess so, nevertheless a lot of SC2 is cheesy and childish, so it would work better in a musical I think :).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:53 pm 
Hunam adventurer

Might be a good idea, although a musical would be awkward and cringy. Maybe it could be about interviewing each race?