The Pkunk Fury

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Re: The Pkunk Fury

Post by glory_device »

Angelfish wrote:
This is an international forum, your dictionary has no power here!
I'm sure that the power of gravity is international. Therefore, if I accidentally drop a dictionary on your foot, I believe that you will have the same universal response toward the events: smack it in my face! Words are powerful, so is an improvised bludgeoning weapon. *I'm tired sorry for that*

Back to the subject. The fury was useful for those who wanted to do a no return challenge run of sc2. I believe they used this particular property to regenerate crew members.
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo
The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte »

"Did you say the humans? We Pkunk have long loved the humans! Why they're our favorite, uh... non-feathered friends!"

Well, let's see how the Pkunk feel about human clones...
4 AWESOME CYBORG PKUNK FURYS (20 X 4 = 80 pts.)
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG ANDROSYNTH GUARDIANS (15 X 14 = 210 pts.)
PKUNK SQUADRON GETS 5 KILLS WORTH 60 POINTS.

ANALYSIS: In all actuality the Pkunk used 8 ships to get the 5 kills since they had 4 reincarnations. The Androsynth would always open the battle using the Blazer form to pursue and attempt to ram the Fury, which they used with some degree of success; the Pkunk was good at dodging the Comet, but sometimes the Androsynth would get lucky when it would circle around and nail them. Once the Guardian's battery was exhausted of energy, the Pkunk could close in and dish out some damage, while the Androsynth would try to minimize the Fury's offensive by firing small amounts of its unpredictable Acid Bubbles to keep the Pkunk at bay while it charged up for another Blaze attack. The Fury had to get close to fire its Molten Pellets, so even when the Guardian's power was less than half, it could still use a Comet burst technique to catch the Pkunk off-guard and collide with them at close range, which proved to be the difference maker in this match-up.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh
The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte »

"Is there a way to stop the Ilwrath?"

"YES! If some benign and loving, yet incredibly destructive and powerful force were to simultaneously rip off all of their legs and drop their putrid egg sacs into steaming pools of molten metal, that would have the desired result of ending the conflict.”
4 AWESOME CYBORG PKUNK FURYS (20 X 4 = 80 pts.)
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG ILWRATH AVENGERS (14 X 10 = 140 pts.)
PKUNK SQUADRON GETS 4 KILLS WORTH 40 POINTS.

ANALYSIS: The ratio of 1:1 is not very good, but it would be considered worse if you included the 3 reincarnations that occurred. The Ilwrath used a close-range “Cloak and Fire Dagger” technique to keep the Pkunk off-balance, it could disappear and reappear without notice and create a Wall of Flame that also served as a shield against Molten Pellets that came in directly. While in open space, the Fury could whittle down the Avenger by using a strafing attack that would often catch the Ilwrath’s wing. Unfortunately, sometimes the Pkunk vessel would come in too hard on its approach against the cloaked opponent, and the Ilwrath could capitalize on the error, and the presence of a nearby planet would serve to exacerbate the situation.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh
The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte »

The battle between 2 of 3 ships that can replenish their crew, and the only 2 that do the replenishing with their own kind!
4 AWESOME CYBORG PKUNK FURYS (4 X 20 = 80 pts.)
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG MYCON PODSHIPS (14 X 21 = 294 pts.)
PKUNK SQUADRON GETS ALL 14 KILLS WORTH 294 POINTS!!!

ANALYSIS: A fantastic win with a 7:1 advantage for the Pkunk over the Mycon in this competition. The Podship's ability to regenerate its crew actually worked against itself since the Fury could easily blast the 4 replacements and continue to deal tremendous damage in seconds with its Molten Metal Pellets while the Podship's Plasma Generator tried desperately to restore power to retaliate. However, if the Pkunk ship was unable to finish off the Mycon, it could quickly find itself in a dangerous situation.

The Podship fleet was able to get a total of 5 kills (3 of which were thwarted by 3 reincarnations), several of which came in the way of a close-range Homing Plasmoid that quickly found its mark after the Fury would bounce off the Mycon vessel's hull. Other times the Mycon was unable to charge the weapon in time for an ideal shot and the Fury would scoot past the Podship and swing around the back, leading the Plasmoid right back to its maker. That's gotta hurt!
The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte »

It took some convincing (and bribery), but Fwiffo has reluctantly agreed to take part in commanding the fleet of 14 Eluder ships against the Pkunk squadron in the combat simulator. Now I just have to figure out where to find all of the multi-colored stones he requested.
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG SPATHI ELUDERS (14 X 18 = 252 pt.)
PKUNK SQUADRON GETS 5 KILLS WORTH 90 POINTS!

ANALYSIS: This battle took a little while, mostly in part because of both ship's reluctance to engage each other directly, rather relying on quick hit-and-run tactics and opting for retreat and regrouping over taking any big chances. The Spathi kept the Pkunk from any kind of frontal assault by unleashing its full volley of three Backwards Torpedoes, but if the Fury found itself in proper position, it could fly alongside of the retreating Eluder and flank attack, firing Molten Metal Pellets with its side cannons. For the most part, the Pkunk held their own quite well, but the large crew of the Spathi ships took so many attempts for the Furys to dwindle down that it gave the Eluders enough time to sneak in shots of their own with their Forward Cannons, plus a few lucky torpedo hits when the Pkunk would get caught napping by being a little too loose with their evasive maneuvers.
The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte »

"Someone out there is playing some kind of joke on the Ilwrath. Or is it a joke on us? We're not quite sure, but with all the vaporized planets and total carnage, it may be a while before we can look back and fully appreciate the humor."
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG UMGAH DRONES (14 X 7 = 98 pts.)
PKUNK SQUADRON GETS 9 KILLS WORTH 63 POINTS.

ANALYSIS: If the Pkunk would've taken more care to stay out of range of the Drone's Antimatter Cone, they should've won this match. The Fury ships needed to use their speed to their advantage to strafe attack the front side of the Umgah and, because of the Drone's slow turning speed, would sometimes slip some shots past the shielding cone and make solid hits with their Molten Metal Pellets that were fired out of the side cannons. The closer their strafe run was to the bow of the Drone, the more likely their attack would work, but that also meant the more likely they would enter or slightly graze the Antimatter Cone, which in either case would inflict heavy damage very quickly. This was further compounded several times when the Umgah vessel would activate its Reverse Propulsion System for better positioning moments before the Pkunk would mount their attack.
gtb2002
Arilou wiseguy

Post by gtb2002 »

The Troglodyte wrote:"Someone out there is playing some kind of joke on the Ilwrath. Or is it a joke on us? We're not quite sure, but with all the vaporized planets and total carnage, it may be a while before we can look back and fully appreciate the humor."
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG UMGAH DRONES (14 X 7 = 98 pts.)
PKUNK SQUADRON GETS 9 KILLS WORTH 63 POINTS.

ANALYSIS: If the Pkunk would've taken more care to stay out of range of the Drone's Antimatter Cone, they should've won this match. The Fury ships needed to use their speed to their advantage to strafe attack the front side of the Umgah and, because of the Drone's slow turning speed, would sometimes slip some shots past the shielding cone and make solid hits with their Molten Metal Pellets that were fired out of the side cannons. The closer their strafe run was to the bow of the Drone, the more likely their attack would work, but that also meant the more likely they would enter or slightly graze the Antimatter Cone, which in either case would inflict heavy damage very quickly. This was further compounded several times when the Umgah vessel would activate its Reverse Propulsion System for better positioning moments before the Pkunk would mount their attack.
Pkunk countering Umgah
FYI: I've explored almost all the dialogue trees in Sc2.
The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte »

"I have come to ask you for help in the fight against the Ur-Quan."

"The fight. Always the fight. We Pkunk are Yin and you are the Yang. I suppose the problem is that the Ur-Quan are a little more Yang than you are."
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG UR-QUAN DREADNOUGHTS (14 X 30 = 420 pts.)
PKUNK SQUADRON GETS 2 KILLS WORTH 60 POINTS.

ANALYSIS: Even with the Pkunk having an incredible amount of luck on their side, even their astonishing TWELVE reincarnations did not come anywhere close to making a huge difference in this battle. The Ur-Quan utilized their Fighters by keeping enough of them in circulation to keep the pressure on any incoming Furys, because even if it meant many of them were going to be obliterated by the Pkunk's Molten Metal Pellets, they were still enough of a menace that sometimes would get in laser shots of their own, but more importantly they would create a distraction which allowed the Dreadnought to join the fight and dish out the deadly punishment of their Fusion Blasts. Not pretty.
The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte »

"Even the nasty Charg beast cannot defeat a pack of Ibids without the help of 7 or 8 Wrinkle Dogs."
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG VUX INTRUDERS (14 X 12 = 168 pts.)
PKUNK SQUADRON GETS 0 KILLS.

ANALYSIS: The Pkunk squadron could have had an additional 7 or 8 reincarnations and still wouldn’t have put a dent in the VUX fleet, which had the Pkunk at a distinct disadvantage throughout the entire match. The Intruder gave each Fury few options as it approached, especially since the Pkunk ships were constantly dodging Limpets on their way to the target. When they did manage to slip by the wall of deployed Limpets, the Intruder’s Megawatt Laser was ready to blast them into their next life before the Fury could mount any semblance of an assault. The VUX’s slow turning speed was unexploited by the Fury’s speed since the laser shot had a slightly greater reach over the Pkunk’s Molten Metal Pellets, plus there were those pesky Limpets to worry about!
The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte »

"Avoid being disincarnated before your soul is adequately prepared for the transformation."
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG CHMMR AVATARS (14 X 30 = 420 pts.)
PKUNK SQUADRON GETS 0 KILLS.

ANALYSIS: I sure do hope the Pkunk were adequately prepared for the transformation, because the Chmmr were handing out disincarnations like it was going out of style! This match, if you could call it that, was basically a "bird blood bath"; the Pkunk didn’t even put a dent in the first Avatar’s crew. The Fury was utterly defenseless against the power of the Chmmr’s Tractor Beam, which quickly dragged the Pkunk vessel into range of its Terawatt Laser to make short work of the helpless Pkunk. In fact, the only time the Fury managed to inflict any sort of damage was when the Tractor Beam brought it in so fast that the Pkunk ship bounced off the Avatar and landed some Molten Metal Pellets before the ZapSats could neutralize them. This battle was over so quickly, even with four reincarnations this one was over within a few minutes.