The Pkunk Fury

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

The Pkunk Fury

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:55 pm

What do you think about the Pkunk Fury?

Personally, I like it, but I must admit I’m really pretty horrible using it in battle. Truth be told I’m actually not very good at using any of the smaller crewed fast ships, I reckon my reflexes aren’t what they once were. That being the case, I find myself somewhat tempted to let the AI fly the ship for me in SC2 story-mode, so I’d welcome any insights and strategies to using this ship more effectively in combat, as well as any opinions, observations or anything you'd like to discuss concerning the Pkunk Fury.

Since I’m still unfamiliar with this ship and how to use it well, I’m curious how the AI would perform against fleets of other SC2 ships, but I wasn’t sure how many Pkunk ships to use against each fleet of 14, so I decided to roll a die 50 times and use which ever number came up most frequent. Then, a startling coincidence occurred, the first 26 rolls all came up 4! Hmmm…that’s pretty crazy odds! Well, no sense rolling the die the remaining 24 times, I guess 4 it is!
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: The Pkunk Fury

Post by Quasispatial » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:45 am

Well, for starters, it's great for testing an unknown enemy's power, simply because if you do end up exploding it, you still have a 50% chance to not lose it permanently. It's quick, annoying and great for dodging, if a bit fragile and not the smallest of targets. Great against anything that relies on range, simply because this thing can close the distance, likewise with anything using slow projectiles, such as a Podship. Make sure to focus on out-maneuvering the enemy, as this thing is not very good for a head-on frontal assault; if you get behind the enemy, most can't shoot you, whilst you can continue to pester their health. The Fury is also widely known as the best counter to the Sa-Matra, possibly excluding a properly used Jugger. Not to mention the fact that the mythical "lucky Pkunk" is the most overpowered being in the game, simply because it will never stay dead.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:36 pm

I don't see how its resurrection helps more than usual against an unknown opponent - it's not like it resurrects back into the ship list; it resurrects back into the same battle.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:58 pm

Death 999 wrote:I don't see how its resurrection helps more than usual against an unknown opponent - it's not like it resurrects back into the ship list; it resurrects back into the same battle.
Perhaps because even if it's outmatched by the opponent's ship, it can still deal some damage before it's destroyed. Then, if it's fortunate enough to resurrect, it can dish out some more damage and possibly even finish off the enemy and be ready for the next battle with full crew.

I guess the same goes for the Shofixti Scout, with the main exception being it does the exact opposite of resurrection to inflict partial damage or destroy its opponent outright. Whether it's because of "Hallelujah!" or "Kyaaaiiieeee!", I think that both ships can make for descent openers for those reasons.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:14 pm

The Troglodyte wrote: Perhaps because even if it's outmatched by the opponent's ship, it can still deal some damage before it's destroyed. Then, if it's fortunate enough to resurrect, it can dish out some more damage and possibly even finish off the enemy and be ready for the next battle with full crew.
Of course, this also makes it great to serve as an "ice breaker". If your enemy has taken cover in a tricky situation, say a Marauder's minefield tactic, the Fury is not only fast enough to be able to dodge its attacks, but also has the potential that it comes back to life should you fail; this inherently makes it less risky to use for such purposes, provided you don't just have a Cruiser to blast your enemy out at long range. Of course, Skiffs work well for this purpose too.

The Troglodyte wrote:descent
On a quick grammar nazi alert: It's spelled decent. Descent, as in descending, is something completely different to decency, which you are no doubt aware.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:01 pm

I never really was terribly good with the Fury, it can at times almost feel too fast for its own good, and aiming at speed with a straight projectile with no spread was not a skill I was able to master. The limited numbers you get in the campaign certainly didn't help matters. Resurrection is a nice perk, but if you suck at flying it in the first place like me, it hardly matters in the long run. As fast and evasive ships go, I much prefer flying Eluders thanks to the homing shots and large crew capacity.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:47 pm

The Troglodyte wrote:Whether it's because of "Hallelujah!" or "Kyaaaiiieeee!", I think that both ships can make for descent openers for those reasons.
Quasispatial wrote:On a quick grammar nazi alert: It's spelled decent. Descent, as in descending, is something completely different to decency, which you are no doubt aware.
de·scent - noun

1. an action of moving downward, dropping, or falling.
2. the origin or background of a person in terms of family or nationality.
3. a sudden, violent attack.

I meant the third option in saying that "both ships can make for a sudden, violent attack openers." Oh wait...that still doesn't make any sense! Uh..."both ships can make for family background openers?" Ooops. Ok, I guess I'm offically busted! I did a quick search and found that I've used "descent" incorrectly 7 times in these forums! Yikes! How embarrassing, you shouldn't let me get away with such gross negligence! Heil Quasi!

I've been practicing using the Fury recently, and I'll try using some of the techniques you mentioned, and I'm getting much better at using the side cannons to flank the enemy as I zoom past them. I also found it useful to put a small weight on the special key.

Is it really a 50% chance of resurrection every time, or were you speaking figuratively?

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:40 pm

The Troglodyte wrote:Is it really a 50% chance of resurrection every time, or were you speaking figuratively?
It is, in fact, a 50% chance each time so, theoretically, a Fury can live forever if you're just sufficiently lucky.
Fun fact: whether or not the Fury will respawn is decided when it jumps in and/or respawns, not when it dies. Of course, there's no real way of telling what the computer picked before you actually get blown up, so it doesn't really matter all that much.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:38 am

It's not my favorite ship either, because it's too fast to control properly.
However, if you have good reflexes and master the 'butterfly of death' as they call it (rotating fast with guns blazing) then you get a lot of bang for your starbuck.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:42 am

The Troglodyte wrote:
The Troglodyte wrote:Whether it's because of "Hallelujah!" or "Kyaaaiiieeee!", I think that both ships can make for descent openers for those reasons.
Quasispatial wrote:On a quick grammar nazi alert: It's spelled decent. Descent, as in descending, is something completely different to decency, which you are no doubt aware.
de·scent - noun

1. an action of moving downward, dropping, or falling.
2. the origin or background of a person in terms of family or nationality.
3. a sudden, violent attack.
This is an international forum, your dictionary has no power here!