Fwiffo & the StarRunner

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Re: Fwiffo & the StarRunner

Post by Draxas » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:47 pm

Fwiffo is a mollusk, he has no skeleton. :P-smf

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:15 pm

----------------------------------------------------------------------
1 AWESOME CYBORG SPATHI ELUDER - (18 pts.)
VS.
14 AWESOME SLYLANDRO PROBES - (238 pts.)
FWIFFO GETS 0 KILLS.

ANALYSIS: The Slylandro Probe was way too much for the StarRunner to handle. The Probe could chase down the StarRunner with ease, and turn on a dime while dodging incoming attacks of the now slow-looking Backward Torpedoes; Fwiffo was left writing letters to his 18,486 brothers and sisters back home, knowing full well nobody would be left alive to send them! Once the Slylandro re-energized its battery with a nearby asteroid, there was very little the StarRunner could do except fire off a few meaningless Forward Cannon attacks. To make matters worse, another convenient asteroid came drifting by, just as the Probe's battery was drained! "Energize!" Looks like the Slylandro are having some fried clam strips for dinner tonight!
1 AWESOME SPATHI ELUDER - (18 pts.)
VS.
14 AWESOME SUPOX BLADES - (224 pts.)
FWIFFO GETS 1 KILL WORTH 16 POINTS.

ANALYSIS: The Supox Blade could crush a Spathi Eluder, if both ships came directly at each other at ramming speed and slugged it out. Of course, Fwiffo knows that. Root, Twig, Stem, Branch, and any other Supox captain knows that. Even the Supox's favorite model, Kate Moss, knows that. So we're left with another match where each ship is trying to "pick their spot" and keep the other from getting too close. Actually, Fwiffo should've focused a little more on keeping his distance, for whenever he allowed the Blade to inside its Toxic Globule's weapon's range, it spelled immediate trouble for the Spathi craft. Since the Supox vessel can fire continously, it can dish out the punishment before the StarRunner can retaliate, and was instead left retreating. Once the first ship was destroyed, another lucky break gave the 2nd ship the oppurtunity to "stick" it to them.
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG THRADDASH TORCHES - (140 pts.)
FWIFFO GETS 1 KILL WORTH 10 POINTS.

ANALYSIS: The Thraddash kept the Afterburner pretty tapped throughout the engagement, and fully utilizes its speed to hone in for a Rocket attack. The StarRunner would try to flank the Torch with a spread of Backward Torpedoes, but the Afterburner would allow the Thraddash to jet out of harms way. Basically, the Torch used this tactic at nauseam and continued to pester the Eluder with Rockets. This caused Fwiffo to get irritated and coaxed into pursuing, but he'd quickly find himself in a wall of Afterburner plasma flames. Fwiffo almost had 2 kills, but almost only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and glory devices.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:17 pm

VS.
14 AWESOME UTWIG JUGGERS - (308 pts.)
FWIFFO GETS 0 KILLS.

ANALYSIS: 0 damage inflicted to the Jugger to boot. The Utwig's Widespread Guns caught Fwiffo off guard at the beginning of the battle, inflicting much damage when they met 'at center' for the intitial engagement. Both ships connected with their weapons, the only difference being that the Utwig's Shield absorbed all of the StarRunner's arsenal. Then the Utwig got eager to finish off the Spathi ship and pursued, which gave Fwiffo an edge. Fwiffo demonstrated some interesting insight on strategy by rotating the StarRunner in circles and release a Backward Torpedo to flank the Jugger, who in turn would activate the shield. However, the torpedo would die out, leaving the Shield unaffected, thus draining the battery, little by little, until eventually the entire battery was completely depleted. Unfortunately, Fwiffo was unable to capitalize on the Jugger's inability to raise its shields, and the Jugger was still able to deflect the projectiles by firing the Widespread Guns instead. Before any damage could be inflicted to the suddenly vulnerable Jugger, the Utwig seized a close-range oppurtunity and finished off the StarRunner.
--------------------------------------------------------------
VS.
14 AWESOME ZOQ-FOT-PIK STINGERS - (84 pts.)
FWIFFO GETS 1 KILL WORTH 6 POINTS.

ANALYSIS: Very disappointing. Fwiffo usually couldn't connect with his Forward Cannon shots, and even when he did, the Stinger would counter by connecting with its Anti-Matter Spray, which subsequently did more damage. The usual implementation of the Backward Torpedoes' strategy would've worked better if the launch deployments were timed better, instead of a haphazard approach while hoping that the ZFP ship steered in the wrong direction. The Zoq-Fot-Pik's strength was their ability to engage and disengage when it suited them best. This distinct advantage left the StarRunner twisting and turning through space, trying to engage a quick-moving target that could only be engaged...at a high cost of life.
Since Fwiffo informed me that the Ur-Quan had recently conquered the Yehat and they now fight as combat thralls, there's no telling who might be an ally or foe these days! So, the StarRunner will be put up against the Alliance ships...just in case.
1 AWESOME SPATHI ELUDER - (18 pts)
VS.
14 AWESOME ARILOULALEELAY SKIFFS - (224 pts.)[/center]

FWIFFO GETS 0 KILLS.

ANALYSIS: I think that Fwiffo feels a bit embarrassed after that one folks. The Skiff was very aggressive and pursued the Eluder with unmitigated gall. The Spathi ship put up its best defense by launching Backward Torpedoes towards the incoming flying saucer, but it would vanish in an instant by using its Teleporter and keep coming. In fact, it used this teleportation technique over a dozen times - that is, when it wasn't showing off by shooting the torpedoes instead! There was little to nothing the StarRunner could do when the Arilou would unleash a rapid-succession of Laser strikes; except maybe round up the crew and play Puun-Taffy to see who gets which decoy crew pod to hopefully survive the next attack! The Arilou's fearlessness brought home a victory without a scratch on it.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:51 pm

VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG CHENJESU BROODHOMES - (392 pts.)
FWIFFO GETS 0 KILLS.

ANALYSIS: I'm not really sure why the Chenjesu was insistent on deploying DOGIs; they really didn't need them. No matter, it was inconsequential since the Broodhome still had more than enough firepower to fill the immediate area with a flurry of Crystal shards as the StarRunner approached. Fwiffo tried to steer in and inflict as much damage as possible before the Broodhome could rotate the aperture of the Photon Crystal Shard launcher to face him. Of course, knowing full well the quick and utter destruction he would face if he hung around, Fwiffo made the swift decision to high-tail it out of there. This allowed the Chenjesu to recover its power fully, release a 2nd DOGI, and finish off the StarRunner with 2 well-aimed direct hits as it returned to resume its attack, which obviously was never actually resumed.
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG MMRNMHRM X-FORM - (266 pts.)
FWIFFO GETS 2 KILLS WORTH 38 POINTS!

ANALYSIS: The 3rd X-Form that showed up may have quickly whalloped the StarRunner, but Fwiffo and company looked good in their fight against the first 2 Mmrnmhrm ships. The X-Form would wait to see if it could get close enough in Laser form, and switch to the Y-Wing form to get away and fire its Homing Missiles. Often times, the Eluder would try to match speeds and line up its Forward Cannon for some good hits, and it also faired well when it would catch the Mmrnmhrm off guard and hit its slower X-Wing form with some Backward Torpedoes. The StarRunner was slowly whittled down from the Rocket attacks or an unlucky laser attack, but throughout the battle was able to take advantage of the X-Forms vulnerabilty due to its necessity to transform.
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG SHOFIXTI SCOUTS - (70 pts.)
FWIFFO GETS 3 KILLS WORTH 15 POINTS.

ANALYSIS: It seemed at first everything was going Fwiffo's way. He stormed right out of the gate with a quick win against the first Scout, using the Backward Torpedo strategy to perfection. The 2nd Scout managed to use a gravity whip and performed a textbook close-range Glory Device taking out about half of the Eluder's crew. The 3rd Scout frustrated Fwiffo by actually using Medokusai Darts on offense to pick at the StarRunner's hull, and also defensively to intercept incoming torpedoes. This exchange went on for awhile until a planet came into view, at which time the Shofixti made full use of it to deliver an ideally positioned Divine Wind to destroy the StarRunner.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:21 pm

VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG SYREEN PENETRATORS - (182 pts.)
FWIFFO GETS 0 KILLS.

ANALYSIS: This looked pretty bad right from the start. The Syreen's captain's eyes must have widened really big as soon as she saw the amount of potential recruits, just waiting to be snatched up. And that's exactly what she did! A close range Hypnotic Projection Field had StarRunner crewmen scrambling for the airlock, ejecting their escape pods with excessive haste. It almost seemed sometimes that each crew member had their own private escape hatch hidden under their console chair, so that at the touch of a button they could quickly be on their way to join the Syreen ship! Many of the Syreen along with their new recruits were killed in the final moments of the battle; the StarRunner certainly put up a good fight and valiant effort. But in the end, the Penetrator fired the final Stiletto Beam, while Captain Fwiffo, alone once again, went down with his ship.
1 AWESOME CYBORG SPATHI ELDUDER - (18 pts.)
VS.
14 AWESOME YEHAT TERMINATORS - (322 pts.)
FWIFFO GETS 0 KILLS.

ANALYSIS: I'd like to pull back the curtain a little on this one. Usually, during these cyborg matches, I'm trying to determine if there are match-ups that the AI can completely overwhelm its adversary, and knowing so gives me the option to let the AI "take care of my light work", so to speak. Most of the time, I feel I'd be better off doing the job myself anyway, but I also enjoy studying the techniques the AI computer uses, since many of the ships are still fairly new to me, and I can apply what I learn to my own battle strategies. However, when I use a Yehat against a Spathi, I find the encounter very tedious and frustrating; managing the shield while trying to get in range of the Eluder is just so troublesome for me! - (See also "What Does Annoy You Most In Super Melee") But the way the Yehat was able to completely dismantle the StarRunner with only 3 crew casualties has me rethinking what I may do if I were to ever have a Yehat Terminator in my fleet during full game mode, and encounter a contingent of hostile Spathi Eluders.

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:46 pm

Then again, Fwiffo wasn't the original captain of the Starrunner.
Since Fwiffo was shanghai'd onto the vessel by a few 'friendly' recruiters, waking only when they were already cruising through hyperspace, he cannot have been the Starrunner's captain -and, by extension, the one who steered it- at that point in time. This dubious 'honor' was not afforded to him until that fateful round of puun-taffy all those years ago, since that really left no other alternatives to do the job. Of course, since he was shanghai'd in all haste, and never intended to captain a vessel in the first place, Fwiffo couldn't have gotten much in the way of pilot training, so bear with him - he is still learning. Of course he wouldn't be an ace pilot, rather far from it really. If anything, these losses are understandable.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:08 pm

Quasispatial wrote:Then again, Fwiffo wasn't the original captain of the Starrunner.
Since Fwiffo was shanghai'd onto the vessel by a few 'friendly' recruiters, waking only when they were already cruising through hyperspace, he cannot have been the Starrunner's captain -and, by extension, the one who steered it- at that point in time. This dubious 'honor' was not afforded to him until that fateful round of puun-taffy all those years ago, since that really left no other alternatives to do the job. Of course, since he was shanghai'd in all haste, and never intended to captain a vessel in the first place, Fwiffo couldn't have gotten much in the way of pilot training, so bear with him - he is still learning. Of course he wouldn't be an ace pilot, rather far from it really. If anything, these losses are understandable.
Indeed. Fwiffo never even wanted to be in the military, and certainly not a captain of an Eluder! He possibly had no idea at first how to even fly the ship; I can imagine the final winners of Puun-Taffy giving Fwiffo a crash course on ship mechanics, or maybe even tossing him a flight manual as they close the airlock behind them while saying ,"See ya! Wouldn't wanna be ya!"

Interesting that the Spathi crew didn't take into any consideration the necessary skills of different stations aboard the StarRunner (Navigation, helm control, tactical, engineering, etc.) when determining who would make the best candidate for staying behind.

Honor and integrity alone would point to the original captain as the likely choice...but no, the captain puts his stick into the bucket as well. Another reminder of Spathi mentality and their sense of priorities in regards to self-preservation over duty, loyalty, and responsibility. So much for the captain going down with the ship!

However, on further reflection, since a ship can still run at 100% effeciency, apparantly totally automated, with only one crew member as the acting captain, it really makes no difference. This being the case, what exactly does the other personnel do aboard the ship? Do they just sit around at their post, waiting for their respective consoles to explode during battle? Or maybe they shovel space coal into the engines to pass the time!

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:12 pm

You can see them. They pull random levers in time with the captain's inputs in order to make it look like they're important to the functioning of the ship.

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:21 pm

The Troglodyte wrote:
However, on further reflection, since a ship can still run at 100% effeciency, apparantly totally automated, with only one crew member as the acting captain, it really makes no difference. This being the case, what exactly does the other personnel do aboard the ship? Do they just sit around at their post, waiting for their respective consoles to explode during battle? Or maybe they shovel space coal into the engines to pass the time!
That is something that is actually an unanswered question for me even as of today for a lot of things.. I.E. bridge of a aircraft carrier, bridge of any combat ship for example.

Why does that question interest me? One of my favorite reflection and day dreaming is to imagine how could it be possible to make a star trek ish starship simulation with multiple crew member without making it extremely boring or too difficult to learn and pick up. Also, how can we design it in such a way as to maximize efficiency through collaboration.

Now I know about the game Arthemis...having played it, it is somewhat freakishly boring and repetitive at some point. Most of the stations are actually are kind of useless (science and communication I'm pointing at you!!).

For now I envision that the crew would be in charge of a ''battle star galactica like'' capital ship that can fire on it's own and deploy fighters to assist. I'm tinkering with the idea that you could board and get boarded...deploy troops or stuff on ground to investigate and yada yada...

I'll stop there since i'M completely going off topic on this one sorry :/
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:09 am

I'm curious if the New Horizons probe will discover Fwiffo's Eluder today :D.