Fwiffo & the StarRunner

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Re: Fwiffo & the StarRunner

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:18 pm

Death 999 wrote:
Quasispatial wrote:Yeah, just on principle, don't let Fwiffo die. Such an awesome character deserves to live out the Spathian dream, someday, though telling you the details would be a minor spoiler at this point in time so I'll just shut it.
Like with the blue and lavender stones and all that? You only really speak to Fwiffo once (can't contact captains in your fleet to chat), so that's in that conversation.
There are several examples of how the Spathi culture seems to embrace bright, vibrant colors: The Spathi Eluder is very colorful, Fwiffo recollects his preferred rock color considerations in great detail, and even during the conversation with Fwiffo, you can see the multicolored controls on the bridge. I can just imagine Spathiwa being a Skittles rainbow of color!

I wonder if there's a connection between the Spathi's use of color with that of various animal wildlife we have here on earth. While some species use camouflage to hide from predators, others use bright coloring as a warning of danger: Poison dart frogs, coral snakes, skunks, and lionfish, to name a few. The Spathi species may have followed this route of aposematism, and perhaps it's become an intrinsic part of their society. I'm not sure about this, but it would at least be consistent with Spathi behavior.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:44 am

Or, since Epsilon Gruis is a red giant, the bright colors are only bright in frequencies that aren't naturally illuminated there.

Which does raise the question of why the Spathi would see in those bands (since their communications screen shows them). Hmm. Maybe communications equipment shows a broad band to maximize visibility for many alien races.

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:01 am

Death 999 wrote:Or, since Epsilon Gruis is a red giant, the bright colors are only bright in frequencies that aren't naturally illuminated there.

Which does raise the question of why the Spathi would see in those bands (since their communications screen shows them). Hmm. Maybe communications equipment shows a broad band to maximize visibility for many alien races.

Most likely.
Point in case - the glowy bits.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:05 pm

SPATHI ELUDER COMBAT SIMULATION
After adding personnel to the StarRunner at Starbase, I thought it would be a good idea to see how Fwiffo reacts under pressure. That is to say, I wanted to how he'd do in an unwinnable situtation, not at all dissimilar to the Kobayashi Maru scenario in Star Trek. After all, Fwiffo needs to be ready for anything!
--------------------------------------------------------------
1 AWESOME CYBORG SPATHI ELUDER - (18 pts.)
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG ANDROSYNTH GUARDIANS - (210 pts.)
FWIFFO GETS 0 KILLS.

ANALYSIS: The StarRunner wasn't even able to put a scratch in the first and only Guardian it faced. When the battle began, Fwiffo and the Androsynth were placed on opposite ends of a nearby planet. As they simultaneously headed toward each other, they both quickly found themselves flying past each other, but the Guardian cleverly deployed a quick "Bubble Screen" to inflict some damage to the Eluder. Then the Androsynth vessel collapsed into Blazer-Form and pursued Fwiffo, easily dodging the Eluder's Backward Torpedoes, and rammed the StarRunner into oblivion shortly thereafter. Don't worry folks! It's all just a simulation!
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG ILWRATH AVENGERS - (140 pts.)
FWIFFO GETS ONE KILL.

ANALYSIS: Fwiffo was very undecisive in his approach, and was very finnicky with his attack. The StarRunner would alternate its attacks with the Backward Torpedo and Forward Cannon, the former would sail unguided, while the latter was allowed only split-second aiming, neither of which would usually meet their mark. Over the course of the battle, the occassional lucky shot would hit the cloaked Ilwrath, but the Avenger would dish out some heat of its own when it could overtake Fwiffo using a gravity whip. Finally, the first Ilwrath ship was destroyed and the 2nd was able to finish off the StarRunner after an unfortunate gravity whip attack.
Did somebody order a pizza with mollusks and mushrooms? Hello? Anybody?
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG MYCON PODSHIPS - (294 pts.)
MYCON PODSHIP WINS WITH 0 LOSSES

ANALYSIS: The Mycon kept Fwiffo on his toes with its Homing Plasmoids. Fwiffo seemed more concerned with keeping the Plasmoids at bay instead of focusing his attacks on the Podship. The StarRunner would even get into point-blank range and not fire a single shot. The Mycon, however, could take advantage of this oversight and fire its own point-blank attack! Ouch!
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:44 pm

The AI is terrible with the Eluder in the majority of cases (and you can extrapolate this statement to nearly every ship in the game). But with the gentle guiding hand of a human at the helm, it can be a force to be reckoned with (against the AI, anyway).

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:15 pm

VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG UMGAH DRONES - (98 pts.)
FWIFFO GETS 6 KILLS WORTH 42 points!

ANALYSIS: For the most part, Fwiffo fought this battle with skill and tenacity. The Umgah's Antimatter Cone was rendered useless as a shield against the Backward Torpedoes flanking ability. The Drone had little choice but to attempt a "Zip Attack" to inflict damage as it zoomed by, and hope to stop in the StarRunner's path. After 6 of the Drones had already been destroyed, the StarRunner was down to about half crew, suffering a few zip attacks and a gravity whip used by the Umgah. Unfortunately, Fwiffo used his own gravity whip at an inopportune time, which resulted in the StarRunner quickly being ripped to shreds by the Umgah's Cone.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
VS.
18 AWESOME CYBORG UR-QUAN DREADNOUGHTS - (420 pt.)
FWIFFO GETS 1 KILL!

ANALYSIS: Considering the 30 point value of a single Ur-Quan Dreadnought, Fwiffo did very well against the firepower of the Ur-Quan. The Dreadnought immediately launched about half a dozen of its Autonomous Fighters and began its pursuit. Fwiffo would steer in just close enough to fire several Backward Torpedoes, some of which would luckily take out a fighter in the process! The Ur-Quan reacted by firing off Fusion Blasts, but the StarRunner was too quick for them...well, most of the time! Fwiffo, for a time, looked impressive dodging the dangerous main weapon of the Dreadnought while commencing his attack, but the Torpedoes and Forward Cannons did such small amounts of damage to the Ur-Quan's large crew, that the battle finally caught up with Eluder, and much damage was dealt before the first vessel was finally destroyed. Fwiffo managed to inflict almost half damage to the 2nd Ur-Quan ship, but finally the StarRunner took one Fusion Bolt too many.
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG VUX INTRUDERS - (168 pts.)
FWIFFO GETS 4 KILLS WORTH 48 points!

ANALYSIS: Fwiffo was fully aware of the Vux's sneak attack ability, and he would put the pedal to the floor as soon as each Intruder would arrive. The Vux vessel would deploy a small line of Limpets, but the Eluder kept a safe distance while firing its Torpedoes, sometimes in threes, causing good deals of damage. Occasionally, Fwiffo would get a bit overzealous and creep in too close, and the Vux ship would fire the Megawatt Laser Beam to cut through the hull of the StarRunner like a green laser scalpel. Finally, the 5th Intruder caught a lucky break when Fwiffo made an error using a gravity whip, and the StarRunner was destroyed, but not a single Limpet was found on her.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:26 pm

Draxas wrote:The AI is terrible with the Eluder in the majority of cases (and you can extrapolate this statement to nearly every ship in the game). But with the gentle guiding hand of a human at the helm, it can be a force to be reckoned with (against the AI, anyway).
I'm guessing I may have to activate the Precursor ship's special ability to remotely control any vessel in my fleet and vanquish my enemies myself!

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:29 pm

in adventure mode, NEVER let the AI fight for you! It will be a nightmare of operation to deal with haha!
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:15 am

VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG CHMMR AVATARS - (420 pts.)
FWIFFO GETS 0 KILLS.

ANALYSIS: And zero damage as well. It was plain to see in the first few moments of the battle how things were going to go. The Avatar activated the Tractor Beam, and it took the StarRunner everything it had to keep from being pulled all the way in. The real problem for Fwiffo was getting past the ZapSats, which was just not going to happen. It took little effort from the Chmmr's defensive orbiters to thwart all incoming projectile the StarRunner could manufacture. Ultimately, the Spathi ship could not withstand the relentless pull of the Tractor Beam and was torn apart in seconds by the Terawatt Laser.
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG DRUUGE MAULERS - (238 pts.)
FWIFFO GETS 0 KILLS.

ANALYSIS: I think that the Druuge did more damage to itself by sacrificing its crew than the StarRunner. The Druuge chief gunner was fairly accurate with the Mauler's Long-Range Cannon; he has to be, or it's furnace time for him! Fwiffo was finally faced with a ship that was, for all intent and purposes, faster than his. Not that the Druuge is a faster, more maneuverable ship by any means, it's just that the recoil would send it hurtling across space so fast that the StarRunner could use its own speed as its customary advantage and essentially became the role of a moving target, which, needless to say, didn't work out so well.
VS.
14 AWESOME CYBORG KOHR-AH MARAUDERS - (420 pts.)
FWIFFO GETS 1 KILL WORTH 30 POINTS!

ANALYSIS: If points earned was based on crew kills, one could even say that Fwiffo got about 45 points, since he depleted about half of the 2nd Marauder's crew. His main strategy was to let the Kohr-Ah pursue him and fire off Backward Torpedoes while dodging the Spinning Blades like he was going through an obstacle course. The only flaw of Fwiffo's strategy was when he'd turn the StarRunner around to fire the Forward Cannon at the Marauder, which usually allowed the Kohr-Ah ship to get much closer, making it easier to land direct attacks or place the blades at more of a distance ahead of the StarRunner, enough for them to creep into its path. Still, all and all, a pretty good job against a tough opponent with such a large crew.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:17 am

1 AWESOME SPATHI ELUDER - (18 pts.)
VS.
14 AWESOME MELNORME TRADERS - (252 pts.)
FWIFFO GETS 1 KILL WORTH 18 POINTS!

ANALYSIS: Well, a single Spathi is worth 18 points, so it's almost a wash. Almost, but not quite, Fwiffo did get the kill with a small amount of crew left. The Trader traded places with the Eluder's elusive role...What? What I meant to say is that the Melnorme made Fwiffo be the chaser, which gave the Trader time to charge its Power Blaster. The Melnorme had good success with its Confusion Ray and was able to land it 5 times in a row, which kept the StarRunner spinning out of control and vulnerable to green, blue, and purple-charged attacks! Fortunately, Fwiffo was able to eventually avoid the 6th ray and finish off the Melnorme menace. The 2nd Trader finished off the StarRunner fairly quickly with minor damage.
VS
14 AWESOME ORZ NEMESES - (322 pts.)
FWIFFO GETS 0 KILLS.

ANALYSIS: The Orz immediately launched a couple of Space Marines, and made Fwiffo antsy with its Rotating Howitzer Cannon. Fwiffo would attempt to strafe the Nemesis and bombard it with Backward Torpedoes, but they could never hit, either because they were out of range or couldn't catch up. The Orz would usually react by launching another pair of marines to nullify any further attempt to close in for follow-up attacks. Some well-aimed shots by the Orz took their toll on the StarRunner, and it was all over when a single Space Marine boarded the ship. I guess we need to start running more onboard security drills!
VS.
14 AWESOME PKUNK FURIES - (280 pts.)
FWIFFO GETS ONE KILL WORTH 20 POINTS!

ANALYSIS: Lots of dancing around each other in this match, both ships were tentative and noncommittal to any kind of direct offensive strike. This is typical of Fwiffo, and the Pkunk mirrored his hesitant, mostly evasive maneuvering, hoping for brief moments to get in a flurry of attacks. The StarRunner almost destroyed it's own Backward Torpedo Cannon; many of it's own torpedo launches (I counted at least 3) were fired while it was headed in the same direction and overtake its missile, causing it to detonate and damage itself! The Pkunk Captain was patient, he repelled most of the BUTT torpedoes (forgive my "ATM machine" redundancy; it seems silly to simply call them BUTTs) by firing off a spread of Molten Metal Pellets, or accelerating out of the way. This made things even more difficult for Fwiffo and he couldn't inflict damage without taking a significant amount as well. By the time the first Fury was destroyed (without reincarnation), the StarRunner was down to a skeleton crew, and soon they were just skeletons...literally.