Fwiffo & the StarRunner

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: Fwiffo & the StarRunner

Post by oldlaptop » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:15 am

Tormuse wrote:(Incoming analysis of SC1 ships) :)

I've always felt that the traditional Hierarchy ships from SC1 suffer from a lack of maneuverability. The Spathi Eluder is the only ship they have that is naturally fast. (Not including speed from special abilities like the Umgah's backward zipping or the Androsynth's comet form) Compare that to the Alliance which has the Shofixti Scout, Arilou Skiff, Syreen Penetrator, Mrhnmrhm (sp?) X-Form, (in it's fast form) and Yehat Terminator. The Alliance is mostly made up of fast ships! This disparity is exacerbated by the fact that many of the Hierarchy ships have short range weapons. Being slow with short ranged weapons is a bad combination and it means that even a lowly Shofixti scout can take out a fleet of Vux Intruders and Ilwrath Avengers by flying ahead of them and shooting them from outside their weapons' range. Honestly, in my view, it's a wonder the Ur-Quan won the war!

EDIT: tl;dr: The Spathi Eluder is arguably the most effective ship in the Ur-Quan Hierarchy.
All that the Eluder/Discriminator has going for it evaporates in player v. player, sadly. It's wonderful for abusing the AI, but sooner or later a human gets the idea that endlessly chasing you is not helpful, and it's really hard to inflict damage with Spathi's weaponry in that situation. The Hierarchy really does have the short end of the stick in actual combat though*, partly because most of their ships really are quite sluggish. Having Androsynth just about makes up for it all, though (but I seem to recall it handled... strangely in SC1?), and of course more than melee went into SC1's balancing.

*In (unmodified) SC2 especially. Ur-Quan and Mycon are both vastly overpriced in PvP melee, Spathi and Ilwrath are rarely used, Umgah is extremely difficult to use well. Only VUX and (especially) Androsynth are really universally useful between skilled humans.
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:50 pm

oldlaptop wrote:Having Androsynth just about makes up for it all, though (but I seem to recall it handled... strangely in SC1?), and of course more than melee went into SC1's balancing.
You're right, it did handle a bit differently in SC1. I remember the Androsynth in Comet-mode moved choppy across the screen (similar to the Umgah but not nearly as exaggerated) and also had a slightly delayed reaction time when turning, something I had to get used to. The processor speed of my slow computer may have played a role back then, so I was accustomed to stuff like that happening in many games.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:09 pm

glory_device wrote:
The Troglodyte wrote: However, on further reflection, since a ship can still run at 100% effeciency, apparantly totally automated, with only one crew member as the acting captain, it really makes no difference. This being the case, what exactly does the other personnel do aboard the ship? Do they just sit around at their post, waiting for their respective consoles to explode during battle? Or maybe they shovel space coal into the engines to pass the time!
That is something that is actually an unanswered question for me even as of today for a lot of things.. I.E. bridge of a aircraft carrier, bridge of any combat ship for example.

Why does that question interest me? One of my favorite reflection and day dreaming is to imagine how could it be possible to make a star trek ish starship simulation with multiple crew member without making it extremely boring or too difficult to learn and pick up. Also, how can we design it in such a way as to maximize efficiency through collaboration.

Now I know about the game Arthemis...having played it, it is somewhat freakishly boring and repetitive at some point. Most of the stations are actually are kind of useless (science and communication I'm pointing at you!!).
Watched some videos on that Artemis bridge simulator and it looks pretty cool! I’d love to try it sometime, but I get what you’re saying though - the Captain’s chair is the only place I’d want to be!

Also, I’m sure that Ensign “Red Shirt” on the Enterprise was constantly bored, only having the job of recalibrating phase-inductor manifolds or some-such while all the action is taking place on the bridge.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:18 pm

There are some other station that are really cool to play...captain actually got nothing to do and depend on the acceptance of his authority on the bridge. The problem is that it was mostly fight fight fight and fight some more...with two weapon...one of which put you in a difficult risky position without net benefit compared to the other option...and the other was a nuke that was pretty much destroying everything on sight. Science role was to analyze enemy shield to maximize damage output with laser...yeah like I said we nuke. Communication tried to make other vessel surrender but was freaking useless.

Game pace is a bit slow and options are somewhat limited like I said previously...but for 1 or two night it was a blast and a geeky experience nonetheless :D
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:26 pm

The Troglodyte wrote:Also, I’m sure that Ensign “Red Shirt” on the Enterprise was constantly bored, only having the job of recalibrating phase-inductor manifolds or some-such while all the action is taking place on the bridge.
Well, at least right up until he was selected for an away team or his console exploded. Then the very short remainder of his life was quite exciting indeed!

Last bumped by The Troglodyte on Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:26 pm.