Fwiffo & the StarRunner

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Fwiffo & the StarRunner

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:19 pm

Let's talk about Fwiffo and the StarRunner!

I recently met Fwiffo, and I must say, he is quite an entertaining fellow! I found his panicky yet funny demeanor disarming, and the friendly background music further contributes to the effect! His voice impersonations of the Ilwrath and his mother had me cracking up! He also feels the need to heighten his voice when he refers to "The Ultimate Evil!" to really emphasize the impending doom just waiting beyond sensor reach! Ok, that was 5 sentences ending with exclamation points, I am obviously excited about Fwiffo! Ok, that makes 6.

From Fwiffo's testimony, I've noticed that the Spathi race seems much more intelligent than I had previously given them credit. I've always thought they were just frightened little clams armed to the teeth. It seems that their high levels of fear and paranoia actually work to their benefit to inspire innovation, cooperation, and even some occassional boldness.

As for their ship, I consider the Spathi Eluder to be a good, versatile ship to use against many other ships. It's speed and agility give it the ability to outmaneuver bigger, slower ships, while it's own size and crew capacity help it overcome being outmatched by smaller, fast ships.

I wonder what would happen if Fwiffo and the StarRunner were put up against entire fleets of enemy ships? Hmmm......
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Re: Fwiffo & the StarRunner

Post by glory_device » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:02 pm

Fwiffo ship is useful to basically take out most of the heavy artillery ships that you might find early in the game (aka the ur-quan)! Against an entire fleet...well it all depend..if you use the kung fu mechanics of star-control (i.e that ships wait in line to engage you like you see in most kung fu movie) then...he can destroy legions. Otherwise, he is one doomed mollusk

The reason for that is that the AI is really stupid in dealing with an eluder...so they believe that chasing something that elude you is a good idea!

That being said, he represents one of my favorite moment in the game!
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:49 pm

Fwiffo is the favorite character of a lot of folks here, myself included. Once you talk to some other Spathi (I assume that's no spoiler anymore, seeing as how he gave you the coordinates for his homeworld), you'll find out just how smart they can be. As you say, though, their extreme brand of cowardice is both their greatest strength and their greatest weakness, so keep it in mind as you deal with them.

As far as the Eluder goes, as glory_device mentioned, the AI can be spectacularly bad at properly dealing with it. This makes it a decent choice as an all-rounder against many different foes, and the Ur-Quan in particular are surprisingly vulnerable to it. Don't attempt this against a human opponent, though! You may want to also be wary about keeping the Starrunner in good shape as well, since you can't build more Eluders at your starbase; if in doubt, don't forget about your emergency escape.

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:25 am

Yeah, just on principle, don't let Fwiffo die. Such an awesome character deserves to live out the Spathian dream, someday, though telling you the details would be a minor spoiler at this point in time so I'll just shut it.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

Saria
Pkunk Elder

Post by Saria » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:52 am

Fwiffo is incredible. I love him a lot. I can't help but think he develops at the very least a small unreciprocated crush on the Captain. I'm sure lots of people would develop fleeting a crush on someone regardless of gender (and species if we're talking alien races I guess??) if someone recused them from that desolate place. How sad. Poor Fwiffo.
Quasispatial wrote:Yeah, just on principle, don't let Fwiffo die.
T H I S.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:12 am

if space didn't wrap around the eluder would be the best ship in the fleet :)

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:01 pm

Quasispatial wrote:Yeah, just on principle, don't let Fwiffo die. Such an awesome character deserves to live out the Spathian dream, someday, though telling you the details would be a minor spoiler at this point in time so I'll just shut it.
Like with the blue and lavender stones and all that? You only really speak to Fwiffo once (can't contact captains in your fleet to chat), so that's in that conversation.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:06 pm

glory_device wrote:Fwiffo ship is useful to basically take out most of the heavy artillery ships that you might find early in the game (aka the ur-quan)! Against an entire fleet...well it all depend..if you use the kung fu mechanics of star-control (i.e that ships wait in line to engage you like you see in most kung fu movie) then...he can destroy legions. Otherwise, he is one doomed mollusk
Draxas wrote:As far as the Eluder goes, as glory_device mentioned, the AI can be spectacularly bad at properly dealing with it. This makes it a decent choice as an all-rounder against many different foes, and the Ur-Quan in particular are surprisingly vulnerable to it. Don't attempt this against a human opponent, though! You may want to also be wary about keeping the Starrunner in good shape as well, since you can't build more Eluders at your starbase; if in doubt, don't forget about your emergency escape.
I'll most assuredly take all of this advise to heart. Usually, because of the way the AI relentlessly pursues, I'm hoping to use the Spathi Eluder to exploit many ships and pick apart each target. Fortunately, even a fleet of ships will use the honorable kung-fu technique (as glory_device puts it), almost like a space-age version of a gladiator tournament, which greatly benefits the Spathi ship is so many battle scenarios.
glory_device wrote:That being said, he represents one of my favorite moment in the game!
Draxas wrote:Fwiffo is the favorite character of a lot of folks here, myself included.
Quasispatial wrote:Yeah, just on principle, don't let Fwiffo die. Such an awesome character deserves to live out the Spathian dream, someday, though telling you...
Saria wrote:Fwiffo is incredible. I love him a lot.
I definitely understand and share everybody's affinity for Fwiffo! Rest assured, I will do my very best to keep Fwiffo alive and well for the duration.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:19 pm

Draxas wrote:Once you talk to some other Spathi (I assume that's no spoiler anymore, seeing as how he gave you the coordinates for his homeworld), you'll find out just how smart they can be. As you say, though, their extreme brand of cowardice is both their greatest strength and their greatest weakness, so keep it in mind as you deal with them.
The examples of Spathi influence this early in the game, as revealed by Fwiffo and other mentionings of Spathi behavior (manuals, SC1), demonstrates an interesting aspect of the Spathi's cowardice. Usually, cowardly behavior is accompanied by either inaction or defensive action. The Spathi actually seem to rally behind their fear like cornered prey, choosing to take aggressive action over simply laying down and dying. It looks as if they would rather die fighting than cower before their enemies; they can certainly be intimidated and are clearly cowards, but that doesn't mean that they'll resort to kowtowing or being bullied. Acting obsequious just doesn't seem to be in their nature, but rather have a strong sense of fatalism that keeps them determined and resolute despite their fear, even when facing almost certain death. Fear and paranoia is their catalyst for change, adaptation, and survival!

They obviously fear their Ur-Quan masters, and Fwiffo confessed that the Ur-Quan would punish them severely for any disobedience. However, the consequence of facing the Ur-Quan's wrath wasn't enough of a deterrent to prevent the Spathi from using their inginuity to rig up an automated Moon Base, deciding collectively to bravely migrate from planet to planet away from Earth, and even to the point of audaciously deserting their post by sending all of their ships and crew home...save for one Fwiffo that is. I'm positive that the Ur-Quan would not be too thrilled if they knew that their instituted "Earthguard" had been reduced to 1 Spathi on Pluto!

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:21 pm

The Troglodyte wrote:Fear and paranoia is their catalyst for change, adaptation, and survival!
THIS. Holy cow, you will eventually see just how true this statement is.
They obviously fear their Ur-Quan masters, and Fwiffo confessed that the Ur-Quan would punish them severely for any disobedience. However, the consequence of facing the Ur-Quan's wrath wasn't enough of a deterrent to prevent the Spathi from using their inginuity to rig up an automated Moon Base, deciding collectively to bravely migrate from planet to planet away from Earth, and even to the point of audaciously deserting their post by sending all of their ships and crew home...save for one Fwiffo that is. I'm positive that the Ur-Quan would not be too thrilled if they knew that their instituted "Earthguard" had been reduced to 1 Spathi on Pluto!
Incase it wasn't obvious from Fwiffo's dialog, while the Hierarchy races are terrified of the Ur-Quan and swift retribution for disobedience, they also have taken note that the Ur-Quan have been pretty lassiez-faire masters since the war ended, hence the Ilwrath's wholesale abandonment of their post, and the Spathi's obedience in only the most technical way possible. Interesting, hm?