IDF Reasearch Has Begun Indeed

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Tormuse
Orz *camper*

Re: IDF Reasearch Has Begun Indeed

Post by Tormuse » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:00 am

Indeed! SC2 is definitely a game where it's important to take notes, but this is taking notes to another level! :D

It makes me wonder how you found out about this game, The Troglodyte. Did you know, from reputation, that taking notes is important in this game or is this simply your approach in all adventure games?

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:20 am

glory_device wrote:wow!

Star-control 2 was the first game that I needed to take note to actually solve...not exactly on this magnitude tho! But it's freaking awesome!
Tormuse wrote:Indeed! SC2 is definitely a game where it's important to take notes, but this is taking notes to another level! :D

It makes me wonder how you found out about this game, The Troglodyte. Did you know, from reputation, that taking notes is important in this game or is this simply your approach in all adventure games?
Much thanks as always! Great compliments and I always welcome any questions…as long as you don’t mind my storytelling tendencies!

Many, many years ago, when I was in Jr. High and my IDF reasearch had just begun, my mom took me to a Toys”R”Us to let me choose an adequate birthday gift, since she felt I was old enough to choose my own present. It was that day that I found my first space adventure game: Starflight.

I had played adventure games before, but mostly the Sierra ones like King’s Quest, Space Quest, Police Quest, or any other game with ‘Quest’ in its title. I’d also played many space games, but their central gameplay focused more on stuff like reflexes or strategic play, where missions and other directives were more mapped out for the player to have clear-cut goals. It was around this time I also discovered Star Control (the first and only one at that time), which I played a bunch, but it too clearly fell into this same category of reflex and strategy.

But the Starflight game was different; you were just thrown out there – no clear mission, no definite objectives, and no real instructions, other than, “Go! Explore! And have fun!” After constantly finding myself in over my head, either running out of fuel, accidentally angering aliens I encountered, or other foolhardy decisions I could muster, I soon realized I’d need to write stuff down, especially when it came to planetary exploration.

WARNING! POTENTIAL STARFLIGHT SPOILERS ON THE MAPS BELOW!

Above: You can see where I marked alien's spheres of influence, constellation names and wormholes, which were called fluxes.

When you landed on a planet, you had to scour the surface to find minerals and lifeforms, and if you were lucky, occasionally you’d find an artifact. Starflight was not very forthcoming about how to go about solving the game and finding clues, information, and most importantly, the necessary artifacts to achieve victory and how to properly use them. Many of these artifacts were pretty much useless, besides earning you a small amount of cash back at starport. But every once in a while you’d discover an important one and analysis back at starport would help ascertain its purpose, but even then it would still be a little ambiguous sometimes. The game was constantly shrouded in mystery, perhaps a little too much, which was difficult for a child who had grown accustomed to conquering every game in their path.

Furthermore, one of the main drawbacks of Starflight was its save game feature. Before you could start the game, you had to copy the 2 5 ¼ floppy disks onto other disks, and you played off of those disks. Unfortunately, whenever you died, you couldn’t reload the game back to your last save, you were just dead. Done. Finito. You had to start ALL OVER. Then it would dawn on me…”Oh no! What planet was it where I’d found that weird Black Egg device?”

I’ve long since beaten Starflight and its sequel Starflight 2, so when I first discovered Star Control 2, one glance at the starmap made me realize this was the game I’d been yearning for all these years. And the rest is…well, actually, you’re witnessing the rest!

Welcome to the bridge! – Where all the tough decisions are made!

Using two computers affords me the ability to utilize one for playing the game (on the right) and the other (on the left) as the “Ship’s Computer”, where I can quickly and easily access and record information. When conversing with aliens, I can pause, review the text and type it in. I also record planetary data, places and events (in alphabetical order with primary and secondary sorting*), and of course the Captain’s Log.

This approach has really allowed me to not only explore the game, but also to explore my own mind! I know I could get away with only writing down the most vital of information in order to win the game, but I’ve so much enjoyed looking at each step in the adventure as a new discovery, and each discovery merits the undertaking of recording information, which could possibly prove valuable at some point down the road. But really I mostly do it just for fun! It makes it seem more real to me, like I'm really immersing myself in the moment. Besides, I’m not just going to beat the game, I’m going to pick it up, slam in down on the operating table and dissect every corner of it! Okay, that sounded less gross in my head!

*For example, Alpha Centauri would appear twice, once as “Alpha Centauri” and also as “Centauri (Alpha)”
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:55 pm

Curious, both glory_device and Zeracles have 332 posts, but glory_device is a Wise Pkunk while Zeracles is a Pootworm.

But then again, we love the Pootworm! We are all one with the Pootworm! Of course this means we are all one with Zeracles. Rejoice!
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:52 am

Zeracles is the proud owner of a custom title, just like myself and a few others. If you notice certain people's titles both don't change and don't match everyone else around the same post count, that is the most likely explanation.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:40 pm

Draxas wrote:Zeracles is the proud owner of a custom title, just like myself and a few others. If you notice certain people's titles both don't change and don't match everyone else around the same post count, that is the most likely explanation.
Ok, thanks, and I had thought that was probably the case.

I’ve noticed several others, like “Lurker extraordinaire”, “Turnip Farmer” (looks like Smoke353 will probably not reincarnate), Sage’s “Wise and Ancient Soul,” and it’s Rider, “Not Ride Her.” I even noticed that chenjesuwizard’s title changed overnight from “Bzzzzz” to “Malfunctioning M-bot!” Too funny. It makes me wonder, is chenwiz doing that or is somebody playing an Umgah prank on ‘em?

There’s also some others, but it’s difficult to tell proof-positive if they’re custom or not because their posting quantities are few and far between, like Dabir’s “Duke Franz Ferdinand”, Eth’s “Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love, and, of course, Lukipela’s “It is light.”

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Post by chenjesuwizard » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:05 am

I also used to have a custom title of "I don't want a custom title" because I was stupid enough to say that once.

Unfortunately, the fact fact I am slowly malfunctioning is not to do with myself, or some Umgah prank, it's just a sad fact of life.
I'm pretty sure Dabir and Eth's are custom though. Dabir has less posts than me and I was never Franz Ferdinand, and Eth has been a shining being for a long time.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:40 pm

All of those are custom titles except chenjesuwizard's. Most were bestowed around the same time as mine and Zeracles', as a result of the old karma system from the previous version of this board. The 3 highest got "positive" titles, the 3 lowest got "negative" ones, and the fact that all of those people were rewarded should say a lot about how seriously we took the karma system.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:50 pm

chenjesuwizard wrote:I also used to have a custom title of "I don't want a custom title" because I was stupid enough to say that once.

Unfortunately, the fact fact I am slowly malfunctioning is not to do with myself, or some Umgah prank, it's just a sad fact of life.
I'm pretty sure Dabir and Eth's are custom though. Dabir has less posts than me and I was never Franz Ferdinand, and Eth has been a shining being for a long time.
Draxas wrote:All of those are custom titles except chenjesuwizard's. Most were bestowed around the same time as mine and Zeracles', as a result of the old karma system from the previous version of this board. The 3 highest got "positive" titles, the 3 lowest got "negative" ones, and the fact that all of those people were rewarded should say a lot about how seriously we took the karma system.
I find it very interesting that the "Bzzzzz" title is for real, since the animated Chenjesu avatar of chenjesuwizard fit it so well.

To tell you the truth, for a moment there I thought somebody had intentionally changed chenwiz's title to "Malfunctiong M:bot" because I had brought it up! Hah, I find strange happenstances like that curiously amusing! :lol:

Zeracles
Pootworm

Post by Zeracles » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:08 am

Draxas wrote:the 3 lowest got "negative" ones
I prefer to say that I was rewarded for my karma having the highest absolute value ;D-smf Or maybe I was simply an asshole on the old board, take your pick.

I think Luki's might not be custom. If I'm not mistaken, he turned down a custom title.
Twinkle twinkle Paul and Fred (more)

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:25 pm

Zeracles wrote:I think Luki's might not be custom. If I'm not mistaken, he turned down a custom title.
That makes sense. When I did a "sort by rank" in the Members section, Luki's was still on top, while the members with custom titles were on the last page at the bottom.