IDF Reasearch Has Begun Indeed

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Re: IDF Reasearch Has Begun Indeed

Post by Alvarin » Mon May 25, 2015 7:32 pm

One could venture into "Members" list of the site, arrange by post-count and then just scroll and look...
http://www.star-control.com/community/m ... ?sk=d&sd=a
Anyhow, some titles are custom and unique, so you wouldn't get those. Easily recognizable by the aforementioned members list.

edit - here is the thread:
http://www.star-control.com/community/v ... down#p3457
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Post by chenjesuwizard » Mon May 25, 2015 11:13 pm

Plus, when you get to the higher numbers there are large gaps.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue May 26, 2015 1:56 am

Alvarin wrote:One could venture into "Members" list of the site, arrange by post-count and then just scroll and look...
http://www.star-control.com/community/m ... ?sk=d&sd=a
Anyhow, some titles are custom and unique, so you wouldn't get those. Easily recognizable by the aforementioned members list.

edit - here is the thread:
http://www.star-control.com/community/v ... down#p3457
Helpful, but not the comprehensive list I was hoping to see.

The members list only shows the title during those exact postings, so titles like "IDF research has begun", which appear only for a short posting interval, may not appear if none of the members have it, which none do at this time. The "how many posts" thread, as interesting as it was, is also incomplete, with much discussion and dispute evolving around the various titles. The song "Blowin' in the Wind" will never be the same for me now, and I guess it's safe to say I'm an "Oars" Camper.

The titles themselves aren't really all that important to me...more of a curiosity than anything.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:37 pm

Ok, this one's a little weird too: 'Nnnnnngaaaa!!!!'. I presume that if I knew the true meaning of this likely short-posting interval exclamatory title, it would also be spoiler city. How would you pronounce Nnnnnngaaaa?

I also just noticed I spelled it 'Reasearch' in the title...er...I mean, that was intentional! Right. I just did that to emphasize my southern drawl...uh, yeah, that's how we folks down 'round these yonder parts talk, I reckon...well, I gotta get back to ropin' and milkin' the cows, and finish up my reasearch, so yal come back now ya hear? Howdy.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:50 am

The Troglodyte wrote:Ok, this one's a little weird too: 'Nnnnnngaaaa!!!!'. I presume that if I knew the true meaning of this likely short-posting interval exclamatory title, it would also be spoiler city. How would you pronounce Nnnnnngaaaa
it's an underwater sound, so something like a moray eel hissing

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:41 am

The Troglodyte wrote:I also just noticed I spelled it 'Reasearch' in the title...
Heh, I was wondering how long it would take you to notice that...
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:41 pm

Angelfish wrote:
The Troglodyte wrote:Ok, this one's a little weird too: 'Nnnnnngaaaa!!!!'. I presume that if I knew the true meaning of this likely short-posting interval exclamatory title, it would also be spoiler city. How would you pronounce Nnnnnngaaaa
it's an underwater sound, so something like a moray eel hissing
(Monty Python and the Holy Grail)

There! Look!
What does it say? What language is that?
Brother Maynard, you're our scholar.
It is Aramaic!
Of course. Joseph of Arimathea!
-Of course.
-What does it say?
It reads, "Here may be found...
the last words of Joseph of Arimathea: He who is valiant and pure of spirit...
...may find the Holy Grail
...in the Castle of Aaargh."
What?
"The Castle of Aaargh."
What is that?
He must have died while carving it.
-Come on!
-That's what it says.
Look, if he was dying, he wouldn't bother to carve "Aaargh." He'd just say it.
-That's what's carved in the rock. Perhaps he was dictating it.
-Shut up!
-Does it say anything else?
-No! Just "Aaargh."
Aaargh. Do you suppose he meant the Camargue?
Where's that?
-ln France, I think.
-lsn't there a St. Aaargh's in Cornwall?
-No, that's St. Ives.
St. Ives.
No, "Aaargh." At the back of the throat.
No, in surprise and alarm!
-You mean a sort of a "Ah!"
-Yes, that's right.
My God! It's the Legendary Black Beast of Aaargh!
That's it!
Run away!
We've lost him.
As the horrendous Black Beast lunged forward...
...escape for Arthur and his knights seemed hopeless.
When, suddenly, the animator suffered a fatal heart attack.
The cartoon peril was no more.
The quest for the Holy Grail could continue.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:51 pm

Ok, this is getting "riadiculous". I'm beginning to think somebody's playing a trick on me with all these pure whack craziness titles and whatnot!

I mean, what in the world does "*squeezing* *juice*!!!" supposed to mean? No, wait! Don't tell me. Let me guess. Somehow, some way, knowing the meaning behind *squeezing* *juice* would be spoilerous.

So, to recap, right before Orz *camper*, there was Androsynth Scientist, followed by IDF Reasearch has begun, followed by HELP US!!!!. Hmm, there must be a connection.

Then, what follows Orz *camper* is Nnnnngaaaa!!!, which sounds like an underwater scream (just do a scream sound, just a little more in the back of the throat!), and Orz look like fish, or some kind of aquatic creature, so that makes at least some sense.

And now it's *squeezing* *juice*, which makes no sense to me, but it follows the same strange pattern of adding asterisks around the word like Orz *camper*. Hmm....yes, there must be a connection indeed.

I can't wait until I find the Orz and hopefully get some answers!

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:11 am

just play the game some more instead of commenting on it so much. you'll find out what all those titles mean :).

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:51 pm

Angelfish wrote:just play the game some more instead of commenting on it so much. you'll find out what all those titles mean :).
I know, I know. I get it...Less expatiation, more exploration. Why bother protesting when I know you're right?!

I guess it's just that I like thinking about the game so much I get bored at work waiting to go home and play it, that sometimes I start contemplating things and my mind wonders off on a tangent occassionally....well ok, often!

Uh-oh, I think I'm doing it again...NO!...must...resist...talking..about....always *jumping in front*...don't..click..submit..must..delete...too..late!