FAQ for the New Star Control

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

FAQ for the New Star Control

Post by Angelfish » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:58 pm

This week a blog post appeared with a bit more details about the new star control, developed by StarDock.
And since I'm the only one actually paying attention to anything these days, I think I should be the one to share it with you guys.

http://www.littletinyfrogs.com/article/ ... ontrol_FAQ
Q: What is Star Control?

A: Star Control is a action/adventure originally developed by Paul Reiche and Fred Ford at Toys for Bob.

Q: Yes yes, I know that, what is the NEW Star Control then?

A: Back in the day, Accolade and later Atari became owner of the trademark and publishing rights for the original Star Control series. Stardock along with Paul and Fred all agree that the aliens and story elements of the classic Star Control series belongs to them.

Q: Will Toys for Bob be involved in the new Star Control series?

A: Maybe but probably not. Toys for Bob was acquired by Activision and is currently working on the Skylanders series. However, Paul and Fred have both expressed a desire to return to Star Control in the future.

Q: How does Stardock plan to do a new Star Control series without the original story and aliens?

A: The new Star Control will be a reboot with a new story and new aliens. The classic Star Control series (or at least, 1 and 2 which are what we consider as canon) will be preserved as the Ur-Quan continuity. This way, if/when Paul and Fred can return to the Ur-Quan universe, we can not only help ensure it is preserved but also make sure a new generation of gamers becomes aware of their magnificient creation.

Q: How does Stardock plan to handle the new aliens?

A: The new Star Control universe will be broken up into "star clusters". The base game will include the "Home" star cluster which includes the Earthlings along with a dozen or more new aliens presenting their own challenges to the player.

Think of the 500 planet or so galaxy of Star Control 2 as being a star cluster in the new Star Control. In addition to providing a star cluster of this scope, we will also be including the tools for players to design their own ships (see GalCiv III), their own aliens, their own stories, star systems, star clusters, etc. Players can then literally make their own star clusters and upload them to add them to the Star Control universe. What aliens, stories, ships, and star systems people make will be up to them.

Q: How will these star clusters work?

A: In the base game, player will start 2112 with the first human contact with an alien race. From there, the humans will launch their first interstellar ship and begin exploring this area of the galaxy. The ship will be highly customizeable (both visually and in terms of equipment). Thus, by the end of the base game, the player's ship will have evolved into something truly unique while at the same time gathering a fleet of alien allies to fight the primary antagonist and their allies.

By the end of the game, the player may want to explore other star clusters. From within the game, the player can visit other star clusters. The suite of tools we're creating will be called the Precursor workshop. If you've played GalCiv III or seen what we're doing with Ashes of the Singularity, you will have an idea of how powerful these can be. In essence, Precursors (the people using the workshop) will be able to make their own universes and share them with others from within the game.

At the time of this writing, much of these tools have been created since we'll be using them to create the game assets with them.

Q: When will the new Star Control be released?

A: Not for awhile. We will probably have a closed beta well before it's released so that we can fully test out the above features as well as test out Super Melee (classic and new) and the multiplayer features. But the 25th anniversary of Star Control 2 is 2017.

Q: Why not call it Star Control 4?

A: Because that would imply a continuity with the Ur-Quan timeline. Besides, as far as we're concerned, only Star Control 1 and 2 are canon to the Ur-Quan universe that Paul and Fred created.

Q: What will happen to the original series?

A: Stardock continues to sell, publish and support the original Star Control series. We also hope to work with Paul and Fred in the future to ensure the rich universe they created continues to be supported. As the new Star Control gets further along, StarControl.com will get updated to provide timelines and more information on the classic series.

Q: Any chance of a Star Control Classic HD remaster?

A: Probably not. You can already download the Ur-Quan Masters. The community has done a great job with that. However, fans will certainly be welcome to use the Precursors tools to recreate their own vision of alternative Star Control continuities and share them with other players.
Seems that Brad isn't aware of the wonderful work dszanik has been doing, since he denies the existance of the HD UQM :). Otherwise, I think it's a really nice idea that it'll feature a universe editor where you can create your own stories and aliens, also I really like the idea of being able to customize the hell out of my flagship :).

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Re: FAQ for the New Star Control

Post by Angelfish » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:59 pm

oh and more stardock SC news a bit earlier the previous month:

Greetings!

First thing, I talked to Paul and Fred and they suggested I talk to Riku Nuottajärvi about doing music for the new game (he worked on Star Control 2's music) but I don't know how to contact him. So if any of you could do me the favor of letting him know we are looking to talk to him I'd appreciate it.

Second, with Galactic Civilizations III nearly done, the dev team and art team will be moving on to new projects one of which is Star Control. So the staff up continues. The core team is already in place and development has been ongoing for awhile (though very little art yet).

Third, the basic plot of the new game has been finalized. We think people will like it. Chris Bucholz (cracked.com columnist) is leading the writing effort. You'll be hearing a lot from him in the coming months.

Fourth, from talking to Paul about what sorts of things really matter to him about Star Control we've expanded on the community element of the game. So in essence, the game will ship with all the tools necessary for modders to create their own "galaxies" (which we refer to as cluster groups until we come up with a better name) that has their own ships, aliens, etc. where users can download and add it to their in-game universe from within the game.

Fifth, the player's flagship will be very very customizeable both in terms of weapons, crew, etc. as well visually. When players explore planets, they'll find lots and lots of cool stuff including ship parts. These ship parts (think of them like lego pieces of various shapes) will let players make their flag ships look however they want. So in terms of multiplayer battles as well as visiting other people's galaxies, we have no doubt we'll see people flying around in Serenity or the Millenium falcon as well as endlessly unique player creations.

Sixth, while we will be creating (and supporting) alien ship designs via Maya and 3D studio, the plan is to allow players to also use a GalCiv III-like ship designer so that when they create their own galaxies to share with the community, they can easily give each race their own unique ships along with their own stories, aliens, etc.

Seventh, more controversially, the current plan is to have the aliens be pre-rendered. We are still debating this. There are pros and cons. The Civilization V team that created the leaders (which speak in real-time) now work here believe we can support real-time. My issue with that is that it's very very expensive to do it well and I'm not personally keen on aliens speaking English (I realize they did this on some versions of SC2). I personally prefer the aliens speaking their own language with subtitles. This is an issue we'll be debating internally and with the community I'm sure for a long time.

Eighth, most of the races aren't humanoids. In fact, off the top of my head, only the Earthlings and one other are humanoid right now.

Ninth, there won't be any official announcements in 2015. We're not sure if we'll have a public beta but we are sure that we will be offering beta access to the Ur-Quan community and related communities.

Tenth, The game will be using the same engine as Ashes of the Singularity (www.ashesgame.com).

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

-brad

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:01 pm

looks like we'll be getting beta access ;)

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:17 pm

Angelfish wrote:looks like we'll be getting beta access ;)
I certainly hope so! Thanks for posting this Angelfish! I really like what I'm seeing.

Shiver
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Shiver » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:36 pm

Have to say, Stardock is being extremely classy about this. I hope their game can live up to some of what made Star Control 2 great.

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:10 pm

Shiver wrote:Have to say, Stardock is being extremely classy about this. I hope their game can live up to some of what made Star Control 2 great.
Well, that's all we can do at this point, isn't it? Hope.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:54 pm

I have to say, every time I start to forget about this, Brad does come up with stuff like this to keep my interest piqued. I'm even more curious now on where they plan on going with this, because all of those customization tools sound good but it almost sounds like they're turing it into a 4X game.

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:58 am

It seems as if the new Star Control game is going to be Spore 2.0
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:25 am

Nuclear wrote:It seems as if the new Star Control game is going to be Spore 2.0
So it would seem...
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:07 pm

oh boy, don't get me started on spore :( one of the few game that I was eagerly expecting and got completely disappointed in the end because of my vivid imagination on how it could be. Actually, since then I refrained from allowing myself to expect a game too much.

But, we will see for the new SC game! It's nice to get some sort of insight and the customization idea might be cool if it is still an adventure game. It gives replayability to the game by design rather than by creating challenges out of your imaginary (which is totally cool to do currently)!
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo