FAQ for the New Star Control

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Re: FAQ for the New Star Control

Post by Angelfish » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:43 am

why will it be like (the space exploration part of) spore? I have seen no sign that this is the case.

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:24 pm

Angelfish wrote:why will it be like (the space exploration part of) spore? I have seen no sign that this is the case.
Well, it's obviously not going to be an exact clone of Spore, and there's no solid reason to believe that this new game will have that much in the way of resemblance to Spore's space age, but both are now said to have tools of creation, with which you can create your own ships, aliens ect., so there are some similarities there worth noting, in the creation aspect.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

Shiver
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Shiver » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:28 am

Angelfish wrote:why will it be like (the space exploration part of) spore? I have seen no sign that this is the case.
Nuclear is frustrated that Stardock is emphasizing player-made content instead of what they're doing with the core game. I definitely see where he's coming from.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:27 am

So they're starting an entirely new continuity?

Huh. I guess it's just.. 'Space Game', not so much specifically 'Star Control'.

Unless there's something I'm missing, here?

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:04 am

I'll admit, it sounds like a novel concept, but there's absolutely no way they will be able to implement a compelling story when 80% of the galaxy is seeded by various races flying through the cosmos in player-made dick rockets. It's a shame that Star Dock wouldn't simply focus on the component that made StarControl 2 the grand slam it was in the first place; the epic adventure. Procedural generation in video gaming has, for the most part, just been a bunch of failed experiments.

Edit: This just in, the lead writer for the new game is a columnist that works for Cracked.com. That's right, instead of FF and PR3, we get a clickbait author instead. Great. Also, the aliens may or may not speak mumbo jumbo just like a certain game that killed off Will Wright's career. The long awaited sequel to Spore has just arrived, everyone.
Last edited by Nuclear on Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:31 am

Nuclear wrote:I'll admit, it sounds like a novel concept, but there's absolutely no way they will be able to implement a compelling story when 80% of the galaxy is seeded by various races flying through the cosmos in player-made dick rockets. It's a shame that Star Dock wouldn't simply focus on the component that made StarControl 2 the grand slam it was in the first place; the epic adventure. Procedural generation in video gaming has, for the most part, just been a bunch of failed experiments.
Who said that those will be in the single player game?

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:34 pm

The way I read it, they have the first "cluster" where all of the Star Control-esque stuff goes down. An entire game in itself with the story and the characters and so on. But once you've done all there is to do, the game becomes open ended and you can go out and explore other "clusters" and play other stories.

Axemaster
Hunam adventurer

Post by Axemaster » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:08 am

Maloo Oture wrote:The way I read it, they have the first "cluster" where all of the Star Control-esque stuff goes down. An entire game in itself with the story and the characters and so on. But once you've done all there is to do, the game becomes open ended and you can go out and explore other "clusters" and play other stories.
I think i'd be ok with that, but only as long as they do not neglect the core of what makes SC such an inspirational game, the vast openness of the universe to explore, the stars,planets and ships, a good story, the exploration, and expecting the unexpected and surprizes.

Also i would not like it to cheat on realism, fuel and travel time must feel realistic as it did in the original, thats part of what exploration is about.