The Umgah Drone

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

The Umgah Drone

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:47 pm

What do you think of the Umgah Drone? And there’s no need for pulling punches when it comes to critiquing this crazy ship, who’s dreadful antimatter cone of rainbow colors and backward zipping motion serve to help demonstrate the deadly yet whimsical approach of the Umgah as a whole.

I’ll admit I’ve had trouble using the Drone effectively, even going all the way back to my Star Control 1 days. However, the degree of difficulty really just adds to the exaltation of actually gaining a victory by using your backwards zip to place yourself in ideal position, and I can even remember times when I was jumping for joy after engulfing some poor Broodhome or Cruiser within the death-dealing cone.

Please share your thoughts about the Umgah Drone, or, alternatively, at the very least to fully embrace the humor of the Umgah, please share a funny joke for everyone to enjoy, while hopefully following forum rules for decency, offensive stereotypes and explicit materials. Awww, does that mean no blonde jokes?

Of course, as always, I’ll be reporting my findings after conducting tests with the Umgah Drone with an AI pilot and see how it does against various match-ups, specifically the Ur-Quan and Kohr-Ah, plus other aliens I may soon encounter in my playthrough.

And for my joke of the day… here it goes: A skeleton walks into a bar; orders a beer and a mop.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: The Umgah Drone

Post by Quasispatial » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:14 pm

The Umgah Drone is, ultimately, a high-risk, high-reward vessel. It's best used for the purposes of defeating fast, short-range vessels such as the Skiff and Fury, and is generally quite awful against any ship that can avoid suffering from its antimatter cone (whether this be through shields, piercing weapons that just go straight through it, or speed and maneuverability combined with enough range to effectively make the drone little more than the butt of a joke gone wrong).

If used properly, a Drone can deal a lot of damage in a very short amount of time, although it lacks the durability to really contend with most large vessels. If used poorly, it's just wasted RUs. Most of the time, the risk just isn't worth the reward, although it is fairly useful as a disposable scout (or surprise for an unsuspecting foe) if one doesn't have a Shofixti Scout to use for such purposes. It also does a fair impression of a flying, annoying bunker against some ships.

Ultimately, the tactic, as you may gather already, is to zip backwards behind the foe, and then take advantage of the position to cone them in the back. It's really just a matter of practice to get the method right, knowing just when to release and just how to aim to end up in the right place.

Of course, practicing this to any significant degree would probably result in a fair amount of "Um... bah!" (har har har), aka frustration and an inability to understand where it all went so wrong, but in the end, that's really just part of the package.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.