About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:16 pm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Jun 30, 2156 - Regulus - Yellow Alert

We have just arrived on the outskirts of the Regulus System, a small green dwarf star with 6 planets:

Planet 1 - ??? (mostly obscured; possibly small red) (green zone)
Planet 2 - Small Purple (cool zone)
Planet 3 - Small Blue
Planet 4 - Small Purple
Planet 5 - Small Red (cold zone)
Planet 6 - Medium Cyan

Although Regulus is on the very edge of VUX territory, I decided it best that we initiate Yellow Alert -- I certainly wouldn't want to underestimate our “old friends”, keeping in mind how things went last time we took them on and had to blast our way through an entire fleet! As unlikely as it seems, I'd hate to accidentally run into a few Intruders stationed at some deep outpost they have all the way out here in Regulus.

I’m half-tempted to visit the 2 Indi Stars and from there go and explore the Luyten Constellation and try to locate the VUX homeworld, since Commander Hayes makes mention of the Ur-Quan attacking the VUX in the Luyten star group, but I’m fairly positive their leaders wouldn’t be any more responsive than the VUX battle groups we’ve already crossed paths with in the (alternate) past.

We have added a planetary exploration path: 6-3-2-1-5-4

We will set course for the 6th planet. Captain out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Jul 3, 2156 - Regulus - Planet 4

Regulus System Summary:

Planet 6 - Xenolithic World - class 3 tectonics - 3 base metals & 4 precious metals1
Planet 3 - Noble World - class 3 tectonics - 2 common minerals & 13 noble gases
Planet 2 - Super-Dense World - class 3 weather - class 6 tectonics - 3 base metals
Planet 1 - Carbide World - class 3 weather & tectonics - 10 common minerals - 9 biological lifeforms2
Planet 5 - Carbide World - 9 common minerals
Planet 4 - Purple World - class 4 tectonics - 2 base metals

1 Since there are only 13 units of platinum (and 53 units of aluminum) and the gravity is so high (0.99 g.) we decided to forego this world.
2 We took a survey of the lifeforms, which all turned out to be large blue slug-like gastropods.

Fortunately, we never saw any VUX ships during our explorations, and after collecting all of the planetary data, I activated the time portal to us back in Epsilon Caeli, saving us 8 days of needless travel, as well as shortening the distance for our next destination.

We will set course for Capella. Zelnick out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon May 02, 2016 9:18 pm

Captain's Log - Jul 2, 2156 - Capella - Status: Green

We have just arrived on the outskirts of the Capella System, so there will be no music accompaniment for the remainder of our time in this system. Oh, wait! That would be “a cappella.” It actually comes from the Latin, diminutive of capra, literally meaning “she-goat”, from caper goat, and Capella is a small blue neutron star with 2 planets:

Planet 1 - Small Violet (green zone)
Planet 2 - Small Blue (cool zone)

I'm really just assuming this star is a neutron star, considering the distance between itself and the 2nd planet, and sensors showing that it's still able to receive much of the small sun's energy is quite staggering. Truth be told, I really don't know what the difference would be in energy output if the star in question was in fact a run-of-the-mill blue dwarf, but considering they are only described as a theoretical star from the Vindicator’s library computer, it would suggest that the universe isn’t quite old enough yet for a red dwarf to develop into one, so I’ll go with neutron star… regardless of what Chenjesu’s maps say!

We haven't detected any Yehat ships nearby, nor did we encounter any unusual activity on ISLRS on our way, with the exception of a Probe blip (whose intercept course and fast speed is easy to spot and identify by now), so I've decided to maintain condition green until further notice, but we'll keep our eyes peeled. Eyes peeled? Ugh! I never minded that particular idiom, not before our Ilwrath encounters that is, but now anything even remotely associated with causing harm doesn't sit right with me anymore...

Great! Now I can't get the image out of my head of the guy undergoing the Ludovico technique in Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange*, where the prison doctors drug the unstable sociopathological patient and strap him into a chair and then use a revolting device that hooks under his eyelids so they’ll remain open constantly while he’s forced to watch hours of horrifically created film features of rape, torture, and other despicable acts of violence as a form of aversion therapy. Now I’m feeling ill again.

We will set course for the 2nd planet... and I’m going to go lay down for awhile. Captain out.
Captain's Log - Jul 4, 2156 - Capella - Planet 1

Capella System Summary:

Planet 2 - Noble World - 4 common minerals
Planet 1 - Oolite World - class 7 weather - class 3 tectonics - 10 lanthanides & 7 precious metals 1

1 I decided that it wasn't going to be worth putting forth the effort to overcome the extremely violet weather to even attempt retrieving as many minerals as possible in one trip; people would inevitably die, and I would only lose more sleep trying to fix it.

Since we've gathered all of the planetary data, there's no need to for traveling to this system, so I've activated the time portal for when we first entered this system and we can do a one-eighty and move on to the next one.

We will set course for Theta Serpentis. Zelnick out.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Original novel by Anthony Burgess.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Lobsterman
Orz *camper*

Post by Lobsterman » Tue May 03, 2016 5:28 am

So cool that you're still doing this!
I hope I'm not ruining the flow by posting here, I see other people did it previously.
Let's get to controlling the stars, baby!

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue May 03, 2016 5:31 pm

Lobsterman wrote:So cool that you're still doing this!
I hope I'm not ruining the flow by posting here, I see other people did it previously.
Let's get to controlling the stars, baby!
Thanks for awakening from your long lurking slumber! :D It’s good to hear from you and I hope you’ll find the time to participate more often, if you feel so inclined. :) And please don’t feel you’d be interrupting the “flow” of the thread by commenting or asking questions. Everybody’s contribution, no matter how large or small or whatever the content happens to be, is always a welcome sight in my eyes. During the work week I always set time in the evening to play the game and then I can usually find time in between game sessions to hash-out my log entries to share with everyone, so this train is sure to always be moving forward. But it's always a treat for me to see somebody taking an interest in something that's been mentioned previously or commenting on anything occurring during this wild space adventure! ;)

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue May 03, 2016 7:44 pm

Captain's Log - Jul 4, 2156 - Theta Serpentis - Yellow Alert

We had barely entered this system and IPLRS were already detecting several groups of Yehat ships! We have initiated a Yellow Alert so the crew can get ready before we make contact with one of the squadrons, just in case. Theta Serpentis is the first of many stars in this massive cluster of stars, technically named the Serpens Constellation (meaning "The Serpent” from the Greek Ὄφις) and it's a neutron star with 3 planets:

Planet 1 - Medium Violet (cool zone) (3 Yehat)
Planet 2 - Small Red
Planet 3 - Small Green (2 Yehat) (cold zone)

I'm actually very optimistic and looking forward to meeting with the Yehat. After all, they were a major part of the Alliance during the War, and I'm sure the only reason they ever became battle thralls in the first place was a clever ploy implemented to trick the Ur-Quan into thinking that they were going to be cooperative and obedient, but really, in all actuality, it was a way for them to maintain their freedom and autonomy so they could build up their strength and mount a revolution against their overlord masters… Well, at least that's what I'm counting on!

From what the Melnorme told us about them, the Yehat were prepared to make a final stand at their home star of Gamma Serpentis, but their queen suddenly switched sides and allied with the Ur-Quan. Unthinkable! The Melnorme feel this was done solely for the monarch to maintain her throne, and the rest of the Yehat have bore the shame for chickening out at the last second, which makes me feel even more confident that surely we can work together to stand firm, shoulder to wing, against our common enemy. We must gain them as allies!

However, it may take some convincing on my part, so I'm going to take the necessary precautions to help ensure our success in bringing over the Yehat back to our side, fighting once again for and with the good guys! Even though the 1st planet is much closer, I have decided to approach the pairing circling the 3rd planet; at least that way if there's any trouble or misunderstandings, I'd rather be taking on fewer numbers, plus there's a better chance of escape to Hyperspace since the 3rd planet's orbit is at the very edge of the system.

We have laid in an intercept course, and we will be going to Red Alert upon approach. Captain out.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed May 04, 2016 7:17 pm

Captain’s Log – Jul 5, 2156 – Theta Serpentis – Near Planet 3

We moved in closer to the third planet, and the vessels in far orbit detected our whereabouts and soon thereafter we had made contact with one of the patrols, which consisted of three ships, and one of the ship’s captains was immediately on our viewscreen.

The Yehat appear to be mostly like yellowish-orange pterodactyls, with dark brown wings and their bright, seemingly glowing large yellow eyes looked on in bewilderment as our human faces came into view. Seated next to the captain was another one, possibly the second in command or some other officer; I'm not quite sure, but they both seemed to be males, and they each sat behind electronic consoles that the leader was constantly fidgeting with, possibly typing with both hands as if there was a homework assignment that needed to be completed during our discussion, and the one behind, off to the side, would occasionally reach down and tap something on their monitor by extending their folded bat-like wings that otherwise remained arched above head, fully fanning out the lengthy wingspan.

One thing I found very peculiar was how the translation computer for some odd reason decided to assign a Scottish accent to their audible speech decryption pattern, and it did certainly take some getting used to, and I even found myself during the course of our conversation covering my mouth to hold back a grin (or giggle) as I couldn’t help but imagine the Yehat being Mr. Scott from the Enterprise in a bird suit talking with me. "I'm givin' ye all she's got Captain!" At first they seemed rather pleased to see us, but were suddenly alarmed by the realization of the situation, fully understanding how we were outside of Earth’s slave shield and that we were now to be considered sworn enemies of the Queen.

There was one thing they mentioned quickly into our talks that kind of stuck out to me: "Your words are flying in the face of the facts, human. We are no longer being your allies. But unlike the nobles of our homeworld, we, of the Starship Clans, are bereaved at this course of events. The Queen's decision to be joining the Hierarchy, pains us!"

I knew there were many clans within Yehat society, and I’m guessing the Starship Clans, undoubtedly represented by their main fleet, is one of them. They also imply that the nobles at their homeworld are more content with the Hierarchy arrangement, especially since they’re presumably not the ones who have to get their hands dirty. Even so, they were still hesitant to help us, and were unwilling to fill our mostly empty coffers with minerals or any other material aid for that matter, apologetically stating that making any sort of provisions for us would be a direct violation of their orders from the Queen.

Detecting a weak spot, I asked them to consider how dishonorable their circumstance and lifestyle has become, and it reduced the Yehat spokesman to sobs as the captain's drooping beak and faint whimpers told all too well of the inner struggle between wanting to help us, but not willing to go as far as to betray the throne. However, they told us a piece of vital information that will absolutely become useful in the future: They spoke of encountering many worlds during the War in Mycon space which had their crusts shattered, resulting in rivers of lava and high mineral density, which I assume must be caused by the Mycon's terraforming technique of using Deep Children to create a world habitable by their standards. Intriguing information indeed -- we need to further investigate!

Another world the Yehat discovered was the first planet at coordinates 639.5 : 231.2, which is the Beta Brahe System; the exact same place where Captain Tanaka attested the Mycon were using an unusual device which gave off the intense bright light that blinded him temporarily and messed up his sensors. The Yehat witnessed tons of Podships guarding this planet, leading the Yehat to believe the Mycon must be protecting something of great importance to them down there on the surface, but they could never get past their large numbers. Curious... and I always thought a single Terminator could take down over a hundred Podships! Anyway, the Yehat ship commander suggested that if we perhaps find some way to trick the Mycon into letting us land, we may find out what this secret really is...and it might even be something we'll find useful to our mission. Interesting.

Knowing how highly the Yehat value honor, and specifically the honor of upholding an oath, I announced officially and with the authority as a representative of The New Alliance of Free Stars (I really should've named us the Empire of Zelnick!) that we have called upon the Yehat to honor their word and help us in fighting the heinous Ur-Quan. Sadly, it was not nearly enough, and the Yehat captain was almost moved to tears as they declined our wishes, justifying their inaction because of the solemn duty and loyalty which goes first to the queen, who has commanded them to treat us outsiders as an enemy of the crown.

I kept pressing at the tender area, further pointing out that they couldn't simply forget their obligation to the old alliance, and I inquired, what ever happened to their honor and pride? The patrol's leading Yehat came very close to having a complete breakdown, admitting the awful shame that has fallen upon them, and even went as far as confessing that the words I spoke were in fact truthful, but their undying loyal devotion and commitment to the Queen trumps any desires they have to help us, and there is nothing that can be done to change that fact. Overcome by disheartened emotion, the captain flipped a switch on the console and communications were abruptly ceased as we watched the small group of Terminators fly off.

I replayed the last transmission over the bridge speakers: “…our Queen has given the Ur-Quan our allegiance and there is nothing I can be doing about it now!” We'll see about that. I figured it would take some convincing on our part, and I've already begun to make some headway by tugging at the heartstrings of the Yehat's honor and pride to help persuade them to see things our way, but we still need to find something that will convince them to come the rest of the way.

We'll definitely have to try again... and I know exactly what I'm going to call to their attention next! Zelnick out.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu May 05, 2016 8:25 pm

Captain's Log - Jul 6, 2156 - Theta Serpentis - Planet 1

Theta Serpentis System Summary:

Planet 3 - Green World - class 6 tectonics - 4 lanthanides
Planet 2 - Carbide World - class 4 tectonics - 6 common minerals
Planet 1 - Fluorescent World - class 5 tectonics - 1 base metal, 9 noble gases & 7 radioactives1

1We gathered 99 units of technetium & 1 unit of neon.

We finished our explorations of this solar system, and each planet had a few Yehat patrols circling in closer orbit, but even though they were fully aware of our presence, none of them altered course to intercept, so we navigated carefully by each of them while keeping as much distance as possible upon approach of each planet to conduct sensor sweeps and mineral excavations.

I really wanted to continue making contact with each Yehat we saw, but I felt patience may be better served in this situation; we are, strictly speaking, trespassing in their space, and furthermore, considering the fragile knitting we have begun to weave is possibly still too thin and will fray quickly if we begin pestering each passing Yehat we come across. Serpentis is pretty big, so I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities to continue our alliance campaign, especially in other star systems where the Yehat have not as of yet been informed of our sudden emergence into their territory.

We will set course for Iota Serpentis. Captain out.
Captain's Log - Jul 9, 2156 - Iota Serpentis - Status: Green

We have just arrived on the outskirts of the Iota Serpentis System, the "head of the snake", so to speak, and it's a small white dwarf star with only 2 planets:

Planet 1 - Medium Cyan (cool zone)
Planet 2 - White Gas Giant

Along with the usual probe activity, a few bogeys popped up near Delta Serpentis and towards Capella which are probably more Yehat vessels, so they’re obviously beginning to detect our movements in HyperSpace as we travel further into their domain. Hey! Why don't any of the Probes intercept any of the Yehat in the vicinity? Speaking of which, no Yehat activity has been detected within this system so far, so we'll remain at green status for now.

We will set course for the 2nd planet. Zelnick out.
Captain's Log - Jul 10, 2156 - Iota Serpentis - Planet 1

Iota Serpentis System Summary:

Planet 2 - Moon 2 - Oolite World - class 3 tectonics - 13 lanthanides1
Planet 2 - Moon 1 - Yttric World - class 4 tectonics - 8 base metals and 4 lanthanides
Planet 2 - White Gas Giant
Planet 1 - Sapphire World - class 3 tectonics - 11 exotic minerals!!2

1We gathered 100 units of rare earth elements including 30 units of erbium, 26 of ytterbium, 8 of thulium, 25 holmium & 11 units of lutetium.
2We took 2 trips and gathered 166 units of exotic minerals, including 38 units of Super Fluids and 128 units of Reisburg Helices, totaling 4150 RUs!

As mentioned in the exploration summary of this system, we found another Sapphire World, and its appearance and planetary data was strikingly similar to the Chenjesu homeworld we recently visited, minus the slave shield of course. Being able to see the bright blues of this amazing-looking world and its crystalline structured surface is magnificent, and it’s remarkable to be able to sit back and acknowledge how many different and wonderfully unique worlds there are contained in our universe.

It also does give us a glimpse as to the possibilities of how life may have evolved to eventually become our sentient crystal friends, but without further research, it’s all mere speculation at this point. Besides, I really have no idea what Reisburg Helices are, and whether or not they’re even present on Procyon II, along with any superfluids -- and whichever element those happen to be is also uncertain. One thing for sure is these Sapphire Worlds are certainly beautiful planets, not only in their appearance but their copious amounts of exotic minerals!

We will set course for Delta Serpentis. Captain out.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri May 06, 2016 4:58 pm

Captain's Log - Jul 13, 2156 - Delta Serpentis - Yellow Alert

Like before, once we entered HyperSpace we started detecting numerous blips on InterStellar Long-Range Sensors, but only one of the Probes was fast enough to overtake us, which we demanded they submit or be destroyed, and they chose the latter. We have just entered the Delta Serpentis System, and it's a small orange star with 7 planets:

Planet 1 - Medium Green (cool zone) (1 Yehat)
Planet 2 - Small Purple (cold zone begins)
Planet 3 - Small White
Planet 4 - Medium Red
Planet 5 - Small Orange
Planet 6 - Small Red
Planet 7 - Cyan Gas Giant

Due to our current ship protocol concerning the Yehat situation, we have followed procedures and enacted a Yellow Alert accordingly, since we’ve detected one on sensors. After all, they are now part of the Ur-Quan Hierarchy, so we still need to treat the Yehat as potentially hostile and at the very least somewhat unpredictable, since we have no idea how each of the individual patrolling ships will respond to us when we make contact, and there may be some difference of opinion within the different clans, especially as we push further into their space and edge closer to their homeworld in Gamma Serpentis.

This star system has quite the variety of different planet types, and there is some separation between the innermost and the secondary set of planets, as well as another larger orbital gap in between the tertiary set of the outermost three. We won't know if any additional Yehat battle groups are in the area until either they move into range of our InterPlanetary Long-Range Sensors or we detect them once we've entered Short Range Sensors distance of a planet.

We have added a very "zig-zaggy" planetary exploration path: 7-right-6-left-3-upleft-4-downright-2-upright-1-upleft-5

We will set course for the 7th planet. Zelnick out.
Captain's Log - Jul 15, 2156 - Delta Serpentis - Near Planet 3 - Red Alert

Delta Serpentis Summary (Partial):

Planet 7 - Moon 4 - Copper World - class 3 tectonics - 8 base metals
Planet 7 - Moon 3 - Infrared World - class 4 tectonics - 4 base metals - 17 biological lifeforms1
Planet 7 - Cyan Gas Giant
Planet 7 - Moon 1 - Urea World - class 6 tectonics - 6 common minerals - 2 biological lifeforms2
Planet 7 - Moon 2 - Green World - class 5 tectonics - 2 lanthanides
Planet 6 - Infrared World - class 4 tectonics - Nothing
Planet 3 - Selenic World - 1 base metal

1We surveyed 9 blood-spitting pods and 8 pineapple trees.
2We surveyed 2 red amorphous blob-like creatures.

We began exploring the system, moving from planet to planet, and we'd already explored all four of the gas giant's moons, as well as the 6th planet, but when we were departing the 3rd planet, a single Yehat Terminator came from out of nowhere; they had obviously noticed us and were moving in to intercept. We had ample time to reverse course and escape, since we were barely moving and still near the planet, and their vessel was approaching from the very outside of the range of our Short-Range Sensors, but I felt it may look suspicious if we made with a sly retreat, so I told everyone to remain calm and stay alert, and hopefully this conversation would go as smoothly (and I use that term loosely) as the last encounter. Our sensor scans revealed their vessel had their deflector shields raised and weapons armed, so I ordered our fleet to do the same, and the red alert klaxons made me feel apprehensive as the small yet intimidating ship entered weapons’ range, and then we hailed them.

They had evidently been informed of our previous discussion, and our continued presence had apparently made them uneasy and confused, and their attitude became a little more unhinged than previously, and they asked if we were off our perch for not having left yet. They explained how they had sympathies for our cause, but they felt they must obey their queen, regardless of how they may feel about us. Continuing our strategy of making the Yehat face their shame, we asked them how they were defeated in the War, but it only served to exacerbate the already tense mood, and they were very adamant about not being defeated, nor had they ever considered themselves as ever been defeated in the last two millennia. They went on to describe the Ur-Quan entering Gamma Serpentis in droves, and how the Yehat had thousands of starships hunkered down, ready to defend their home, but at the eleventh hour the queen suddenly allied with the Ur-Quan before the battle had even begun. At this point the Yehat captain gave out a long, anguished yelling noise which sounded like a cross between a crying gasp and a squawk.

We told them about the Pkunk, but the frustrated and visibly shaken captain stammered and could hardly bring himself to utter their name, calling them the greatest embarrassment their species has ever suffered, and they advised us not to discuss them any further. Running out of cards to play, we told them that the Shofixti have been reborn, and they momentarily conferred amongst themselves and proclaimed that there would many changes if what we said is true, but then they demanded that we promptly give adequate proof to confirm our bold claim. I tried to backpedal, admitting that we didn't exactly have any Shofixti on hand at the moment, and they quickly turned irate -- their furious captain started accusing us of lying to them, saying we used a cheap coercion to mislead them into aligning their forces with us, and they terminated communications and then suddenly attacked!...... . . . . .

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Fri May 06, 2016 6:20 pm

That always got me really angry. I wrote a chapter about it in Peeru... not that that does you any good right now. I'll let you know when reading Peeru wouldn't spoil anything for you.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon May 09, 2016 2:32 pm

Death 999 wrote:That always got me really angry. I wrote a chapter about it in Peeru... not that that does you any good right now. I'll let you know when reading Peeru wouldn't spoil anything for you.
Please do, I look forward to when I can safely read other folks' stuff round here, including the Groombridge Logs I'm always hearing about, which I assume no doubt would be super spoilerous for me at this time.