About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

palmpet
Ilwrath torturer
Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.

Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

Post by palmpet » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:20 pm

Man I miss this board....remember me?! lol
"What's the point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes."

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:42 am

<insert parrot sketch, changed to be about Evil Ones>

Gee, it's almost as if you didn't need to stun them at all. Want to try just picking them up? :lol:

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:43 pm

Well, you do have all the lander tech, so it won't have quite the same impact. But to be fair, without lifeform shields, if you do touch one it will murder the crap out of your landing crew super fast.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:52 pm

palmpet wrote:Man I miss this board....remember me?! lol
Hi palmpet!
Death 999 wrote:<insert parrot sketch, changed to be about Evil Ones>
“Now that’s what I call a dead Evil One!”
“No, no.....No, he's stunned!”
Death 999 wrote:Gee, it's almost as if you didn't need to stun them at all. Want to try just picking them up? :lol:
Draxas wrote:Well, you do have all the lander tech, so it won't have quite the same impact. But to be fair, without lifeform shields, if you do touch one it will murder the crap out of your landing crew super fast.
Right!…and you know I had to give it a try after reading Death’s post! ;)
It would be hilarious if they lunged out ferociously (like a certain bunny rabbit) if you get too close!
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:35 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Epsilon Gruis – May 10, 2156 – Epsilon Gruis – Planet 1 – Moon 1 – Status: Green

On our way back to tell the High Council the good news, we ran into several Spathi ships along the way, and they asked if we had killed anybody today, to which I muttered under my breath to myself, "The day is still young."

They told us about the Umgah pulling more pranks on them over the years, recently by using a HyperWave Caster to impersonate made up monsters of doom and demise like Grand Master Planet Eaters, Jud the Ineffable Vug, and Killmaster 18. If they weren’t battle thralls for the Ur-Quan, I’d bet I may get along pretty well with those crazy blob guys! The Spathi told us they were able to successfully confiscate the ‘Caster, so I’m thinking the Umgah must've left it unguarded -- I truly doubt the Spathi took it by force! I’d love to get my hands on that ‘Caster though.

When we made contact with the Safe Ones, they were “over the moon” (in more ways than one) with gladness. Just as before, they jubilantly called me their hero, but still cut our conversation short, claiming they needed to focus their efforts on their triumphant return to their homeworld. At first, I was happy to accommodate them, but I quickly became under the impression we were getting the cold shoulder:

When we returned a little while later, they didn’t seem as enthusiastic as before that we were still in the immediate area, and asked if we could stop by later. When I agreed and said we didn’t wish to spoil their party, we received a curt “Goodbye.” Now I began to feel taken advantage of, so we re-established orbit and communications, but the leader appeared agitated and said they would now lose their place in line at the Ja-ja pole. Too bad! There will be plenty of time for them to play limbo or any other recreational activities, but in the meantime we needed to solidify our alliance!

They said they wanted us to give them more time, but when I asked how much more time they needed, they said it would be around ten to fifteen years! That’s ridiculous! I suspected that they were trying to avoid their previously promised commitment to help us, and so I accused them of trying to back out of our agreement. They replied that it is just not how things work; that making a formal alliance is a much more complicated process than just making a proclamation of unity and sending representatives to our Starbase. Why not? That’s what the Orz did… and we could hardly understand each other!

I explained that the Evil Ones they fear so badly are not actually dead, but rather in suspended animation, and we could easily begin transporting them back to the surface of Spathiwa right where we'd found them. That got their attention! They swiftly changed their tune and asked us what kind of relationship did we have mind, but they didn’t understand our terminology involving fairness and equality that we offered, so I told them to do exactly everything we told them to and things would be just fine, and they finally agreed, stating that’s the type of arrangement they’re accustomed to anyway, and there would be a delegation of Spathi arriving at our Starbase shortly thereafter.

Poor Commander Hayes will probably soon have his hands full with not only Orz but Spathi crawling all over the place as well! It seems that with our two recently forged alliances of fish and clams, we have suddenly become the proverbial Alliance of Free Aquatics!

After we’ve sent a sub-space message to warn Hayes, we’ll re-enter orbit and talk more with the Safe Ones. Captain out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:44 am

The starbase is going to turn into a seafood restaurant at this rate...
Or, at least, it might if things go sour.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:11 pm

Quasispatial wrote:The starbase is going to turn into a seafood restaurant at this rate...
Or, at least, it might if things go sour.
Your point is well taken.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:18 pm

Captain's Log - May 10, 2156 - Epsilon Gruis - Planet 1 - Moon 1

When we returned to talk with the Safe Ones after forming our alliance, they informed us they had provided the necessary materials and personnel for our starbase engineers. Very good.

Spathi scientists have recently uncovered that the Umgah have been using the ‘Caster to perform a long-term joke on the Ilwrath, but they haven’t been able to figure out what exactly that is, but according to our Melnorme sources, they were using it to impersonate the Ilwrath’s gods Dogar and Kazon to trick them into attacking the Pkunk. These Umgah take this practical joke business a little too far… haven’t they ever heard of whoopee cushions or water squirting flowers?

Speaking of Umgah pranks, I had to resist the urge to share my opinion about the true origin of the Evil Ones with the High Spathi Ruling Council, since it seems plausible that they were probably transplanted there by the Umgah as one of their cruel tricks, and the evidence revealed by the Spathi indicates that after studying a few specimens that died from tooth decay from eating too much sweet Spathi, it is highly probable that these creatures weren’t indigenous to their world, so the conclusion of mischief seems to be warranted.

While the Umgah have always been a bunch of jokesters, before they were enslaved by the Ur-Quan, according to the Spathi the Umgah used to be much more peaceful, colonizing and mining worlds in their home stars of the Orionis Constellation, but they still managed to sneak in a prank every now and then. Unlike the Spathi we met out in space, the Safe Ones admitted that the broadcasted hoax of announcing the arrival of the Grand Master Planets did in fact make the Spathi populace go into a frenzied panic, overreacting to the false advertisement of impending doom. Hmm…considering the threat of the two Ur-Quan factions causing galaxy-wide turmoil, how ironic their little joke seems now.

When we asked about the Hierarchy, the Spathi said they're only aware of six existing races of battle thralls: The Umgah, Ilwrath, VUX, Mycon, Androsynth and Thraddash (who were described as weak and obnoxious, and from the Draconis star systems.) As far as the Androsynth are concerned, the Spathi have speculated that the they were all eaten by the Orz! Well, although it’s improbable their entire race was actually gobbled up, it would at least explain why we didn’t find any dead bodies on Eta Vulpeculae II. They can’t confirm this theory of genocide via consumption, but they suspect that the Orz did something surreptitious and malevolent to the Androsynth, and they urged us not to ally with the them…uh, oops! Too late!

We also asked them for any insights they could give us about the other Alliance races, and they told us that before the war, the Chenjesu would sometimes stop by on their way to explore the galactic core, and one of those times they mentioned meeting a race in the Tucanae star systems called the 'Fop-Dope-Bic,' which is obviously the Zoq-Fot-Pik. They had also met up with the Mmrnmhrm before, who tried to colonize Beta Herculis, but the Spathi considered that part of their territory, so the Mmrnmhrm withdrew from the contested system without any objection.

There is something that’s disturbing me somewhat though, because I think those Spathi are indeed up to something, but I’m just not quite sure what it is – they almost spilled the beans when they accidentally mentioned a “shie—“, and the only thing I could think of was they must be working on some kind of “shield”, since I doubt they would be working on a “shieling” – a shepherd’s hut or a mountain pasture, plus the only other word I could find that started with the prefix "shie."

One thing I found very interesting was the information, vague as it was, they revealed about the Precursors, who the Spathi hypothesize invented some kind of invisibility shield that the Spathi wish to duplicate someday. Hey! Maybe that’s what they’re acting all suspicious about; they’re trying to invent an invisibility shield! Anyway, that’s not what I was referring to that interested me, it was something they translated from some old Precursor writing, which mentions a sequence of ten waste disposal sites they built somewhere in this region of space. Puzzling... yet intriguing.

On that note, one last item of intrigue they mentioned had to do with the Ur-Quan, way back to when the Spathi sent out an Eluder raising the white flag of surrender and also to warn the Ur-Quan about the Evil Ones (though I’m pretty sure the Ur-Quan could’ve handled those little furry fellows if they really needed to do so!), but when the Ur-Quan touted out their “independence is intolerable” rhetoric (to which the Spathi gave a hilariously comical Ur-Quan impersonation!) the captain cried out, “Hold! What you are doing to us is wrong! Why do you do this thing?” So the Ur-Quan fleet halted, and their spokesman went into a lengthy ritualistic speech of some significance, but unfortunately the Spathi have no idea what it was since they were all very frightened and hiding in their shells. We may perhaps have the opportunity to repeat the Spathi's appeal one day, and see how the Ur-Quan respond.

We will set course for Alpha Illuminati to get fuel and purchase more information from the Melnorme. Zelnick out.

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:07 am

The Troglodyte wrote:Grand Master Planets
Ahem.
It's Grand Master Planet Eaters.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:10 pm

Quasispatial wrote:
The Troglodyte wrote:Grand Master Planets
Ahem.
It's Grand Master Planet Eaters.
Well, I must’ve missed that one during my proofread. Oops!

Still sounds ominous when you think about sentient planets roaming about conquering the galaxy, but the absurdity of the notion makes it seem more funny than terrifying! :lol:

Especially when these huge, massive planets come invading announcing themselves as such…
“Bwahahaha!! Bow before the almighty Grand Planet Masters!”