About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:57 pm

Quasispatial wrote:
The Troglodyte wrote: the approach of an Iwrath Avenger.
Just wanted to mention, minor spelling fail there. Better fix that, before another Avenger shows up to deal with the spelling error personally.
Good eye! I certainly wouldn't want to suffer the ill wrath of the Ilwrath! But the Ilwrath shouldn't be so tough on other people's spelling, considering how they capitalize every word they say!

Speaking of Ilwrath, I really felt like I got screwed during my battle with the Ilwrath. As Death 999 pointed out:
Death 999 wrote:The cruiser you have is really good at taking down Ilwrath with no cloaking capabilities and <9 crew - far better than the Vindicator. Why did you keep keep keep trying that instead of the alternative? Did you not notice that you have a cruiser?
Probably could've said "keep keep keep" about 20 more times! I did that sequence so many times I can quote the "By The Fetid Breath Of The Dark Twin, Kazon" speech in my sleep.

Anyway, I had originally written in my log entry that I had suffered zero casualties, since the victory screen didn't show any loss of crew, even though the Avenger was able to fire off a close-range hellfire blast before exploding into the spider afterlife, but the flames disappeared when they came in contact with the hull as the victory song played and the crew display showed full strength. So at the time, it appeared I had escaped unscathed. Upon closer examination, when I finally made it to drydock and examined the ship, I noticed I had actually lost 9 crew members. How frustrating! But there was no way I was about to go through all that again! So instead I readjusted my log entry to say 'minimal' casualties instead of zero.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:57 pm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Supplemental

I was able to learn much about the different races, both Alliance and Hierarchy, from Commander Hayes. Here are his most notable observations on the Alliance races:

Shofixti - Discovered and 'uplifted' by the Yehat in the Delta Gorno System. They are fearless, which is definitely affirmed by their Glory Device, and they can also breed and grow quickly, which was of great benefit to the Alliance during the War.

Yehat - Ancient warrior clans who sometimes wage war on each other, but remain loyal to the Queen and her royal family, the Veep-Zeeps.

Arilou - Commander Hayes doesn't seem to trust them, and knows that they have visited Earth and abducted Humans in the past. He also pointed out that they have some special technique to move through HyperSpace super fast.

Chenjesu - Unofficial leaders of the Alliance, and Hayes respects them very much for their superior intellect and peaceful disposition. He also mentioned they have no need for HyperWave communicators, since they can send messages naturally, which is even more efficient than our own HyperWave technology.

Mmrnmhrm - Robotic race who arrived via a Factory-Ark, which produced millions of Mmrnmhrm before breaking down. Hayes suspects that the Mmrnmhrm were sent by colonists to prepare worlds for them.

Syreen - Hayes recognizes the Syreen's perceived lust-provoking beauty, but also recognizes they are much more than that; their peaceful culture lasted from Bronze Age to starflight before their planet was destroyed.

And here are Commander Hayes' insights on the Hierarchy races:

Mycon - Their ships are primarily dedicated to life support, since their natural needed temperatures are so hot. They also voluntarily joined the Hierarchy and became combat slaves.

Spathi - They are cowards, but their ships are formidable in battle. He also mentioned the Black Spathi Squadron, a rumor about some Spathi ships who broke away to perform brave and hostile deeds.

Umgah - Entertaining big blob creatures who had a relationship with the Arilou.

Androsynth - Feared Androsynth hit-and-run squadrons, since Blazer ships can crush Cruisers easily. Also mentioned their home star's location of Eta Vulpeculae.

Ilwrath - They worship Dogar and Kazon, gods of torment and destruction, something I can personally attest to from my encounter. Most of the Ilwrath fleet fought against the Chenjesu and Mmrnmhrm.

Vux - Mentioned the Far Voyager, commanded by Captain Rand, which made first contact with the Vux near Beta Mira and inadvertently insulted the Vux's Commander. My other historical reference said the ship was called the Miwok, and the encounter was near Beta Luyten.

He also metioned other possible races, one near the Giclas Constellation, which I'm now assuming that could be the Pkunk, another directly coreward of Procyon, and one in Draconis, which the Arilou mentioned having some fun with them, whatever that means.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:38 pm

The Troglodyte wrote:the crew display showed full strength
The graphical display did, yes, because that can't go higher than 40 or so. The numeric display below that would have indicated losses.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:18 pm

Death 999 wrote:
The graphical display did, yes, because that can't go higher than 40 or so. The numeric display below that would have indicated losses.
I see. I knew I should've counted all of those crew 'dots'! In my laziness I assumed there were 50. I also never noticed any lapse of crew loss during previous battles with the Ilwrath, and probably because it's torching would deplete my crew so quickly, especially during the encounters where the Ilwrath somehow arrived nearby like a Vux Intruder using its sneak attack ability! No chance.

I did however learn an interesting strategy against the uncloaked Ilwrath. When I managed to get up to full velocity and turn the nose around to face the Avenger, it performs its usual ploy of staying out of weapons range by shifting right and left constantly, making sure to stay safely in between my possible line of fire. But if I started firing anyway as it got closer, the Ilwrath would panic and veer off, and then readjust its pursuit. Then I was in a much better position to lock on and open fire. The only downside to this strategy being that my initial volley left my battery at half strength, so I quickly ran out of firepower, which allowed the Avenger to close the distance before I could finish it off as I forcefully pounded on the fire button!...while screaming. I think my spacebar hates me now.

Ogo3142
Hunam adventurer

Post by Ogo3142 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:42 am

Death 999 wrote:The graphical display did, yes, because that can't go higher than 40 or so.
42, to be exact. I do wonder if that's deliberate.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:25 pm

Ogo3142 wrote:
Death 999 wrote:The graphical display did, yes, because that can't go higher than 40 or so.
42, to be exact. I do wonder if that's deliberate.
Thanks. I was already planning on making myself go cross-eyed later and count all of those dots, so you saved me a step.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:33 pm

Death 999 wrote:
As mentioned, this is capped at 42, since every ship other than the Vindicator can only have 42 crew at maximum. Even if you don't pay attention to the crew number when flying the Vindicator in combat, the game will drop another visual cue when you're in trouble: if you get pummeled hard enough that you see a blue dot show up on the bottom of the crew display, it's time to be extra careful because that dot represents you. While the rest of your crew will bravely throw themselves in front of your console before it explodes every time, it's a nice signal to remind you to stay on your toes or get ready to load up your save.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:06 pm

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Supplemental

Commander Hayes has given me a briefing of the War, some historical background, and some valuable information about the Ur-Quan.

The War began soon after the Chenjesu discovered the Ur-Quan entering this region of space from the Ophiuchi Constellation, and conquered the Umgah in the Orionis Constellation. After the Ur-Quan defeated the Ilwrath, the Chenjesu and Mmrnmhrm defended themselves against the Ur-Quan, who left and quickly conquered the Spathi. Earth joined the Alliance about the same time the Ur-Quan conquered the Androsynth, and the Arilou joined the Alliance as well. Then the Ur-Quan defeated the Vux in the Luyten Star Cluster, but was stopped by the combined forces of the Yehat and Shofixti. The Ur-Quan found the Mycon in the Brahe Constellation, who voluntarily joined the Hierarchy. The Syreen also unofficially joined the Alliance around this time. The Coreward Front in Indi and Mira Star Systems was able to stave off the Ur-Quan forces, and many different battles followed the next ten years.

Then, suddenly the Coreward Front was pushed back beyond Raynet, and the Chenjesu was severely weakened holding onto the Rigel System. The Ur-Quan focused on attacking the Procyon System, and Earth lost contact with the Chenjesu and Mmrnmhrm. Earth was soon overwhelmed by the Ur-Quan and swiftly defeated. The Ur-Quan forced the populus to vote on being fallow slaves or battle thralls, and they chose the slave shield, which was deployed after the Ur-Quan destroyed everything over 500 years old, along with other odd areas of interest.

Hayes also told me tidbits of information about the Precursors, how they were around 200,000 years ago; evidence of their existence can be found everywhere, and by the looks of their equipment, they were a very large species. Then they suddenly vanished.

There was also a study on a group of aliens who formed an empire about 22,000 years ago, and one of those species lived in the Vulpeculae Constellation, but not much is known about them except they were rock-like.

Hayes gave me advice on how to find the best minerals with different color schemes of planets, and size and color of stars. He made some recommendations on how to outfit our starship, on how to deal with alien species, whether friend or foe, and the importance of forging alliances with different aliens. He also reminded me of the reality of the seemingly impossible task that we're up against, and the multitudes of Ur-Quan and its battle thralls. He also mentioned the possibility of a super-weapon of sorts that the Ur-Quan may possess. Just perfect. Even if we manage to survive long enough to put together a decent Alliance fleet, it could all still come crashing down around us if I don't have an answer for this unstoppable super-weapon! If it even exists at all. Knowing my luck, it does indeed.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:41 pm

Draxas wrote:Even if you don't pay attention to the crew number when flying the Vindicator in combat, the game will drop another visual cue when you're in trouble: if you get pummeled hard enough that you see a blue dot show up on the bottom of the crew display, it's time to be extra careful because that dot represents you. While the rest of your crew will bravely throw themselves in front of your console before it explodes every time, it's a nice signal to remind you to stay on your toes or get ready to load up your save.
The way you presented it, I can just visualize a helmsman, navigator, or some other bridge officer yelling, "Look out Captain!", as he or she dives and pushes Captain Zelnick out of the way just in the nick of time, but unfortunately has to give their life in the process, taking the full force of the exploding console! Hmm...if only the beautiful Captain Burton could have had such a loyal crew.

Thanks for mentioning as well as clarifying that blue dot, I did notice it before, I just never noticed its absence during the beginning of the battle. Guess I was too distracted by a certain arachnid flying a giant flame thrower that my attention was more focused on putting my entire body weight on the acceleration button; as if pressing it harder (while yelling at it) would somehow make the Vindicator achieve full speed more quickly!

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:36 pm

Captain's Log - Supplemental (Save Game 9)

We are about to depart Starbase on our first expedition to gather minerals from this solar system before returning back. Commander Hayes was able to allocate 3536 RU's from the minerals we gathered from Mercury and the wreckage of the Ilwrath ship. While in drydock, I used 27 RU's to replace the 9 losses in crew compliment, 1100 for 55 units of fuel to fill up the tanks, and 2000 for 4 additional pairs of antimatter thrusters, which leaves 409 RU's in reserve. After much deliberation, I decided that I wanted the Vindicator to be at maximum in regards to crew and fuel, and the remaining amount to go towards engines to get this hunk of metal moving faster in combat!

We will now depart Starbase and set course for the Moon to retrieve the remaining minerals. Captain out.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Capain's Log - March 12, 2155 (Save Game 10)

We picked up the minerals on the Moon.

We will now set course for Venus. Zelnick out.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - March 16, 2155 (Save Game 11)

After entering Venus' orbit and scanning the planet, we have discovered that the temperature is super hot and the weather level is 8, the highest level! There's only trace amounts of minerals on the surface, a few base metals and the rest common, so we'll skip this one.

We will now set course for Mars. Captain out.
Captain's Log - March 19, 2155 (Save Game 12)

We have entered Mars' orbit.

We will now dispatch the Lander to gather its 9 base metals mineral deposits. Zelnick out.
Captain's Log - Supplemental (Save Game 13)

We have gathered all of the minerals from the surface of Mars.

We will now set a course for Jupiter. Captain out.