About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

Post by Quasispatial » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:42 pm

The Troglodyte wrote:
Angelfish wrote:Everytime you activate a time portal the present you dies :(. You live on in a different reality!
I suppose it's a small sacrifice for the sake of humanity. ;)

It is indeed troubling though to ponder the tremendous amounts of alternate realities I've created during this endeavor.
Each time, you create another universe... which you eventually leave for dead in favor of the next one. All those poor, doomed sentients...
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:35 pm

Quasispatial wrote:
The Troglodyte wrote:
Angelfish wrote:Everytime you activate a time portal the present you dies :(. You live on in a different reality!
I suppose it's a small sacrifice for the sake of humanity. ;)

It is indeed troubling though to ponder the tremendous amounts of alternate realities I've created during this endeavor.
Each time, you create another universe... which you eventually leave for dead in favor of the next one. All those poor, doomed sentients...
Certainly it's a strange aspect of time travel, but nobody ever considers the ramifications of how many different possibilities there would have been each time Marty McFly's delorean disappears and reappears in a different time period, so I prefer to keep most of my speculations to whichever "present time" my life just so happens to be in. I guess it still rings true, perhaps even moreso, that there is no time like the present!

Besides, who's to say that after I disappear from the bridge into seemingly nothingness that the next in line doesn't take over and free Earth instead?
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:45 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Feb 17, 2156 - Alpha Cerenkov, Near Planet 3

Fortunately, just as we were entering sensor range of the 4th planet, a VUX patrol was just leaving sensor range. How fortuitous!

However, that planet turned out to be a Urea World with a thick 1.84 atmosphere, -118° C temperature, class 3 weather, class 7 tectonics and 6 small deposits of common minerals, so we continued on towards the 3rd planet...

And wowzers! That's a bunch of VUX! There are FIVE separate VUX squadrons on SRS in the vicinity of the 3rd planet. Well, there's no backing down now!

We shall resume course for the 3rd planet. Red Alert - Battle Stations! Zelnick out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Feb 19, 2156 - Alpha Cerenkov, Planet 3 - Yellow Alert

We have suffered many casualties. The VUX fleet kept coming in small groups from every side; sometimes a pair, sometimes 4 followed by another 4! We got so turned around during the course of many battles that we lost sight of the planet and actually ended up running into it, inflicting massive damage to the hull and killing many of my crew in the process! I still can't even believe it! How can you accidentally run into a planet? Seems inconceivable to me.

Anyway, we eventually fought off the entire VUX fleet, totaling 25 Intruders worth 150 RUs each. I actually became so infuriated with the situation and the VUX that I began using some of the insult dialogue presented by the Vindicator's translation computer, but it did nothing to change the VUX's responses, but it did help me blow off a little steam (along with our Hellbore Cannons, that is.)

We’ve finally made it to this world the VUX seemed to all be drawn to, which makes sense, considering it's a Magnetic World, and it has no atmosphere, class 5 tectonics, and 9 deposits of base metals, so we'll be moving on.

We have set course for the 7th planet and investigate its moons. Captain out.
Captain's Log - Feb 20, 2156 - Alpha Cerenkov, Planet 7, Moon 2 - Yellow Alert

Resuming our previously entered exploration path of this planet and its 4 moons, we entered orbit of a Quasi-Degenerate World with class 5 tectonics and 3 deposits of degenerate matter! After ridding ourselves of more common minerals, we dispatched the Lander and gathered 26 units of degenerate matter to confirm their quantities.

We will set course for the planet. Zelnick out.
Captain's Log - Feb 21, 2156 - Alpha Cerenkov, Planet 7, Moon 4 - Yellow Alert

After scanning the Orange Gas Giant, we made our way to the 3rd moon, and it’s an Ultramarine World with favorable conditions, 4 base metals, 2 noble gases and 4 rare earths. We may return there and gather its valuable minerals resources after using the time portal.

From there, we proceeded to the final two moons, which both were Halide Worlds with good conditions, but the innermost included radioactive elements along with the corrosives, but the outermost did not.

We will set course for the 8th planet. Captain out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:19 pm

Captain's Log - Feb 22, 2156 - Alpha Cerenkov, Planet 8, Moon 3 - Yellow Alert

We returned to the 8th planet to explore it and its 3 moons while keeping a keen eye out for any VUX that might so happen to come by, but the 1st moon was a Carbide World with 8 common minerals, the 2nd moon was an Acid World with 14 common minerals, and, of course, the planet was a Green Gas Giant.

We have just entered orbit of the 3rd moon, a Green World with a 2.00 atmosphere, -159° C, class 5 tectonics and 6 lanthanide deposits.

We will activate the time portal to when we finished exploring the outermost planet to restore our crew losses, and from there we'll return to all of the worlds in this system with valuable minerals, starting with this one, and from there to the 7th planet's first three moons, avoiding the VUX if possible. Captain out.
Captain's Log - Feb 15, 2156 - Alpha Cerenkov, Near Planet 8 - Yellow Alert

We have just entered SRS range of the 8th planet, and scanners show a VUX contingent orbiting the gas giant. We're going to try to slip past them and make our way to the moon on the far side while staying close to the 3rd moon's orbital ring, which will hopefully keep us out of the VUX's sensor range.

We shall resume our course for the 3rd planet. We are going to Red Alert. Zelnick out.
Captain's Log - Feb 15, 2156 - Alpha Cerenkov, Planet 8, Moon 3 - Yellow Alert

Whew! That was a close one! We are back to Yellow Alert Status, the navigator and helmsman performed some expert maneuvering by timing our acceleration curve with the orbital intervals as the VUX patrol went around the planet. It was a little tricky, especially if the VUX had suddenly decided to patrol elsewhere and left orbit, which it fortunately did not.

After discreetly dumping some of our common minerals, we promptly dispatched the Lander to the surface and grabbed 95 units of rare earth elements, including neodymium and praseodymium.

We will set course for the 7th planet. Captain out.
Captain's Log - Feb 16, 2156 - Alpha Cerenkov, Planet 7, Moon 2 - Yellow Alert

I may have given the VUX too much credit. Let's just say that apparently the VUX's sensor technology is not quite as effective and precise as their communications technology. There were several patrols that simply passed us by, including one that orbited the gas giant the entire duration while we scooped up minerals right under their noses... I mean snouts! They could have even looked out the windows of their space craft and followed the trail of common minerals and corrosive elements directly to us!

We gathered the degenerate matter from the 2nd moon, some noble gas and lanthanides from the 3rd moon, and the radioactives from the 1st moon.

We will now set course for Gamma Mira. Zelnick out.
Captain's Log - Feb 17, 2156 - Just outside Alpha Cerenkov - Red Alert

We were just leaving the system and attempting to achieve full HyperSpace speed when we encountered a Slylandro Probe. That darn Probe must’ve waited a week outside this system just waiting for us to leave!

We shall talk to them, then blow them up, then resume course. Captain out.
Captain's Log - Feb 20, 2156 - Gamma Mira - Status: Green

We have just arrived on the outskirts of the Gamma Mira System, a small yellow star with only 2 planets, both of which are in far orbit from their primary:

Planet 1 - Small Green
Planet 2 - Medium Blue

We are still technically barely inside VUX territory, but I think it's best to return to normal operations so the crew can get some rest. (and stop acting so antsy!)

We will explore the 2nd planet first. Zelnick out.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:26 pm

Captain's Log - Feb 20, 2156 - Gamma Mira, Planet 2

We have just entered orbit of a Water World that is mostly land with 2 small oceans, a small atmosphere (0.28), -210° C, class 5 tectonics, 10 deposits of base metals and 1 deposit of radioactives.

Usually I wouldn't hesitate to send down the Lander to grab some radioactives, but the 0.77 gravity would consume a unit and a half of fuel, so the returns may not really be worth it in terms of net profit, so I guess we'll see.

We will send down the Lander. Captain out.

Supplemental:

We will go ahead and keep these 9 units of uranium.

We have set course for the 1st planet. Zelnick out.
Captain's Log - Feb 21, 2156 - Near Planet 1

As we approached the 1st planet, SRS indicate it has a pair of Slylandro Probes orbiting it.

We will resume our course for the 1st planet. We are going to Red Alert. Captain out.
Captain's Log - Feb 21, 2156 - Planet 1

After destroying the first Probe, we briefly escaped the pursuit of the second and have entered orbit of an Alkali World with class 4 tectonics and 3 base metals, so I will activate the time portal to when we were leaving orbit of the 2nd planet to avoid this planet and the Probes.

Once back in orbit of the 2nd planet, we will set course for Gamma Vulpeculae. Zelnick out.
Captain's Log - Feb 23, 2156 - Gamma Vulpeculae

I feel a little uneasy as we approach this region of space. The Vulpecula Constellation, which comes from the Latin word “fox,” seems to be a location shrouded in mystery and confusion.

It's currently unknown what has really happened to the Androsynth (their homeworld is located somewhere in Eta Vulpeculae according to Commander Hayes,) only that there may be a connection with the Orz, whom the Melnorme informed us just so happened to show up when the Androsynth vanished into thin air while experimenting with Inter-Dimensional Fatigue.

Then, compound that with the clues that hint about the possible presence of some psychic immunity device that the Taalo were working on that could possibly be located on or near a moon around the 2nd planet of Delta Vulpeculae.

As we entered the farside of the system Gamma Vulpeculae, our IPLRS immediately picked up the presence of Orz ships! There is one group around the innermost planet located in the green temperate zone, and the other group is near the outermost planet, a white gas giant on a much further orbital ring than the rest of the planets:

Planet 1 - Medium Blue (Orz)
Planet 2 - Small Green (cool zone)
Planet 3 - Small Green (cold zone begins)
Planet 4 - Medium Green
Planet 5 - White Gas Giant (Orz)

We have plotted a planetary exploration path: 5-2-4-1-3

We shall head to the gas giant first and attempt to make peaceful contact with the Orz and see what we can learn about them and the disappearance of the Androsynth.

Since I really have no idea what we're up against here, we are now going to Red Alert and keeping our weapons at ready status...I just hope we don't need them. Captain out.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:57 pm

First contact with the Orz? This should prove to be memorable, at the very least.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:32 pm

Captain’s Log – Feb 23, 2156 – Gamma Vulpeculae, Near Planet 5 – Red Alert

As soon as we approached the Orz, our sensors indicated it was just a single vessel all by itself, which by the way didn’t make the encounter any less intimidating; the Vindicator’s sophisticated onboard combat simulation system has clearly demonstrated how even a single Nemesis is capable of delivering much destruction.

We opened hailing frequencies, but the translation computer quickly intervened and displayed a message overlapping the display of the Orz which was just beginning to come into view. The Orz’s unique language apparently confounded the translation computer as it informed us that its subsystems were having difficulty understanding the Orz’s transmission, and so there may be many discrepancies in the messages received, so the level of accuracy was impossible to determine.

On that note, our translation computer should probably win an award for “understatement of the year,” because what came next was baffling and bewildering! I didn’t even know how to make heads or tails of what they were saying, and I really had no clue how to respond either, so I tried to explain we were having difficulty understanding them. Each time they spoke of something, the phrasing of grammar was all over the place, but the main difficulty was deciphering the key words that were surrounded by asterisks. I glanced over at my Communications Officer, who had a completely puzzled look on her face as she shrugged her shoulders.

I took some time to closely examine their bridge (not sure if you can really call it that) which appeared to be a giant fishbowl with blue-colored walls filled with some kind of fluid (maybe water?) containing several strange flat bowl-shaped consoles and screens, some of which looked like djembes or some other flattened musical drums, and each had an Orz manning them. There were two Orz on the viewscreen, one in the background facing away from us and the other directly in front, presumably the commanding officer, if that type of rank or class even exists in their command structure.

Their aquatic appearance is very fish-like and they are yellowish green in color with a small beak for a mouth, which makes them look like a cross between a fish and a chicken, but they have periscopic eyes protruding on top of their heads like certain types of crab or even like the Spathi -- except of course there’s two eyes instead of just one. Their gills were massive, and opened intermittently as they breathed, but were strangely facing forward instead of towards the back like on a normal fish, and on the outside of the each gill were what looked to be tendrils that drooped down like ventral fins of an Angelfish, but each had a second extension so it’s reasonable to believe they could function similar to hands for the purpose of grasping or pushing buttons.

We basically had to muddle our way through the conversation, pretty much making educated guesses on how to interact and gather more information, but while also staying diplomatic and careful not to offend the Orz. I also tried my best to ignore the eerie tone of their voice, which was strange and ominous, even though it had an underlying child-like inflection about it, but that only served to create an inauspicious mood. At first, the direction of the dialogue and their posture seemed to be friendly enough and for the most part amiable and accommodating, and the tension I felt inside began to slowly subside as the situation seemingly became more promising.

However, their position quickly changed when I began inquiring about the whereabouts of the Androsynth, and I tried to explain that our charts indicate this region of space is considered Androsynth territory, and we are investigating their disappearance. They seemed to take exception to this, and their bridge turned red when I remained unwavering in my queries, then they let out a blood-curdling scream and mentioned something about “squeezing juice.” They’ve suddenly terminated communications and are quickly approaching weapons’ range, so I’d better cut this log short.

Captain out.
EDIT: Grammar - Orz's & inflection
Last edited by The Troglodyte on Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:45 pm

Non-spoiler: that's not water, but alcohol.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:40 pm

Death 999 wrote:Non-spoiler: that's not water, but alcohol.
Interesting. Doesn't really surprise me, I've quickly discovered that when it comes to the Orz... expect the unexpected!

I guess that means it would be more appropriate to refer to them as being alcoholic creatures as opposed to aquatic creatures. Kind of sounds a bit strange though, as if they all have drinking problems.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:20 pm

Captain's Log - Feb 23, 2156 - Gamma Vulpeculae - Yellow Alert

After it became clear that we had obviously pressed too far in our inquiries concerning the Androsynth, the Orz ship moved in to attack us, but I ordered the helm to remain still and aim the nose at the incoming vessel, essentially turning the Vindicator into a rotating pillbox. I thought for a moment they were going to release several Space Marines on our stationary position to attempt to board our ship, but I gather they were able to scan our vessel and detected its Point-Defense Laser System.

Unfortunately, after the first volley fired by the Hellbore Cannon severely damaged the Nemesis ship, the Orz were able to veer off and they placed a well-aimed shot before our second assault destroyed their ship. The PDL was insufficient to prevent the large, incoming projectile from damaging the ship, and casualties were incurred as a result. Following the incident, when several more groups of Orz began making a bee-line for our position, I activated the time portal to when we were first approaching the Orz ship to make first contact.

I am now almost certain that the Orz are somehow responsible for the sudden disappearance of the Androsynth. Exactly how or why is an entirely different question altogether, but whatever the case may be, the very thought of the sheer magnitude of power it must take to completely uproot an entire civilization into -- well, into whatever fate was bestowed upon the poor clones, whether it was displacement into a different dimension or total oblivion (not even sure which is worse), it's impossible at the moment to know for sure, but the mere thought is staggering nonetheless.

Plus, it doesn't exactly help our point of view to suddenly be attacked just for asking, albeit with persistence, about the Androsynth. There's still plenty of room for doubt, I suppose, since we can't be completely sure as to what happened; perhaps the Androsynth opened up a crack into a totally different dimension and they were the ones who pulled the Orz from their home, and this is the reason why the Orz are so sensitive about the issue. Probably not, considering what we have recently learned from the Orz. Regardless though, it's difficult to say without more clear-cut facts on the matter, but I think we may have gathered enough information to formulate a few feasible theories, which I will get into later.

We spent several days trying to understand the Orz and their bizarre language, and, after talking our Communications Officer out of the airlock on several occasions, I think we have successfully figured out what the Orz are trying to say to us...well, for the most part anyway -- it's definitely not perfect by any means, but we may have gotten the gist of it after analyzing the reasons for the perplexity and confusion:

First of all, one thing that is clear is that the Orz are from a different dimension, and therefore this is likely the reason for the difficulty in adequately comprehending each other; I believe it has more to do with relatability than the actual language itself, and this is because it seems to me that the Orz have a completely different understanding on how things work in our dimension, so stuff like mass and matter, light and darkness, energy and substance, space and time, even life itself seem to be totally different concepts to them. It's not that they don't have these things in their dimension, they just simply operate on different parameters than that of our own. It is true, however, that they have managed to adapt to be able to exist outside of their realm and into ours, but that's possibly because they have had prior experience... something to which they implied.

So, with that being said, it came time for us to gather as much information as possible and analyze and attempt to interpret the meaning of what was said by the Orz. So, after much trial and error, followed by countless meetings with linguistic experts as we spent late nights passing around transcripts and numerous coffee pots, and the feeling like I work for the Dept. of Redundancy, Dept. from having to utilize the time portal and revisit the same old conversations again and again to make sure all possible outcomes were achieved through the dialogue sequences, I think we may finally have somewhat of a working summary on our talks with the Orz. At any rate, it's the best we could come up with without going utterly insane, so it will have to do! But for now, I need to get some rest before going over our findings with the rest of the bridge crew.

Zelnick out.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------