About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:03 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log (Continued)

After we had salvaged any valuable resource units from the debris field of the destroyed VUX ships, we continued towards the gas giant and began conducting interplanetary short-range scans of its three moons. We had just gotten underway with plotting an exploration path and setting course for one of the nearby moons, when suddenly VUX Intruders appeared out of nowhere from every direction! We were completely surrounded!

During our previous encounter with the VUX, they must've managed to send out a distress call and communicated with the rest of the fleet their situation and whereabouts. I now recall reading about how the VUX have a highly-advanced communication system, which is also capable of deciphering translation code and other decryptions, so for all we know they may have been monitoring the previous entire conversation on their viewscreens! After all, it was Captain Rand's underestimation of the VUX's capabilities that rendered him in that unfortunate predicament; not that I'm not too far behind him, the only main exception being I have a time machine up my sleeve to correct my missteps!

It was impossible to run away from the close-bunched patrols, so I attempted to arrange for a truce, explaining that we wished to learn more about them. They made mention of Admiral ZEX and how he likes Humans, but when I tried to leave in peace, they informed me they still had decided to attack us.

After each subsequent battle following, I urged each VUX commander to listen to my apologetic pleas for forgiveness, which the Vindicator's translation computer kept popping out, but it didn't seem to make much of a difference. However, I began noticing a hint of an attitude change as each obsequious outpouring grew more outlandish than the last, and it seemed that my over-the-top platitudes of grief and regret were actually beginning to have an effect on the VUX's temperament, but they remained steadfast in their determination to destroy us... which they almost did a few times!

During one encounter, an Intruder warped in at a relatively close-range. We spun the helm around to blast them out of the stars, but each pair of energy bolts fired from the Hellbore Cannons went completely around their ship! I ordered the helm full ahead and the VUX fired it's Gigawatt Laser into the starboard side of our hull while releasing Limpet Cocoons as we passed towards the rear side of the VUX ship. Tactical had already just finished up returning fire and damaged the VUX vessel with the remaining energy from auxiliary power, so we didn't enough left to activate the Point-Defense Laser System and a Limpet or two made their way onto the aft section of the hull and the Vindicator began to slow.

Fortunately, we had gained enough momentum to put some distance between ourselves and the VUX Intruder which came about and we blasted it into smithereens, but the damage was already done. Damage reports were only outdone by the crew casualty reports as the faces of fallen fellow crewmates implanted themselves in my mind as each of their names flashed before my eyes. Just as the brave chosen ‘Limpet removal’ team had removed the last Limpet as we hurled through space in retreat, it became apparent another VUX encounter was imminent. We were out of time! …or were we?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:16 pm

Captain’s Log (Continued)

I reached for the time portal device on my chair's console, but I suddenly reconsidered. I really felt that we were starting to make some progress with the VUX, so we pressed onwards and continued trying to convey our "sincerest of apologies from the bottom of our hearts" (gag!) We learned from our mistakes during some previous battles, and acting accordingly, I’ve ordered the helm to always put some good distance between us and any VUX threat before unleashing our flurry of devastation!

I actually find it curiously odd how the VUX never implemented their unique ability to arrive in TrueSpace near adjacent to our ship, something of which I was informed had brought great fear to many a Cruiser commander during the war. I'm wondering if there's some sort of defense system Precursor device integrated into the Vindicator that prevents this, or perhaps these particular Intruder-class ships don't have that technology aboard, or maybe even after the war many of the Intruders had their special thruster nacelles removed, possibly ordered by their Ur-Quan overlords to keep their thralls in check. Or have we just been remarkably lucky?

At any rate, we thinned out the VUX fleet until there was nothing left, so after checking the Starmap and determining the VUX's sphere of influence, we set course for Beta Luyten to seek out more VUX to encourage our desires for forgiveness. Finally, one of the VUX captains had a complete meltdown and the truth was unequivocally revealed! The real truth of the matter is that the VUX really do despise Humans, but not because of Captain Rand's insult - Oh, No! - He was merely a scapegoat intended to draw attention away from the actual motivation of the VUX's position. A position, I might add, that is fueled by hatred, prejudice and downright unfair bigotry towards Humans, which, for all intent and purpose, is based solely on our perceived ugly appearance, and it seems that a good percentage of VUX actually become visibly sick just by the mere sight of a Human! Outrageous! Somebody needs to inform the VUX they aren’t exactly winning beauty contests in Human eyes! (Oh yeah, someone already did.)

So I guess this entire VUX sociological experiment wasn't a complete loss, since we did learn much about VUX culture and the true nature of their attitude regarding Humans, but the knowledge was definitely not worth the death of our shipmates, so I've activated the time portal to when we first entered Alpha Cerenkov, and we will high-tail it to the 1st planet! We will remain at Yellow Alert. Captain out.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:45 pm

Captain's Log - Feb 11, 2155 - Alpha Cerenkov, Planet 1

We didn't want to take any chances and risk any unnecessary VUX encounters, which would undoubtedly usher in the entire VUX fleet in this sector! So, with due haste we quickly traversed the entire span of the system and made our way to the first planet where we were immediately greeted by none other than Admiral ZEX himself!

I find it rather strange that during any encounters we've had thus far with the VUX, they never really seemed to be taken aback or surprised in the slightest by our presence, and the VUX war hero was no different. In fact, he already knew the real purpose for our visit, that being our need for obtaining the Shofixti Maidens, as he refers to them. I thought only the Melnorme had such uncanniness of foresight.

I discovered this world is actually his own possession, given to him by the VUX high council for his achievements during the war. Actually, truth be told, it's really the case that they gave him this world to isolate him from the rest of the VUX society since his unusual views along with an appetite for acquiring and collecting a menagerie of rare and exotic lifeforms are considered reprehensible behavior...especially if it includes the admiration of Humans! He detests their prejudice perspectives, but also understands there is no real viable alternative, so he's attempting to remain content in his pursuit for more fascinating lifeforms to add to his collection.

Speaking of contentment, there is one lifeform on his bucket list that he has as of yet been unable to procure, but he only had very limited information as to where to find this creature, something written down in an ancient wildlife handbook by some unknown alien author over a thousand years ago. The passage says:

"... demise, It(!) basks in yellow light within the constellation Linch-Nas-Ploh."

He also said that they had translated "Linch-Nas-Ploh" to mean approximately "The long, thin creature who has swallowed the huge beast." Hmm... that’s a bit confusing, and I'm not sure if I like that it makes mention of "demise" beforehand. I suppose that I will need to study the Starmaps which display the various constellations and see if any of them match any of the descriptions dictated, especially if they contain yellow stars, or are shaped like a snake or other long, thin animal, or perhaps more specifically, something like a snake who's just finished eating a large meal!

ZEX was certainly far more accommodating than the other VUX we had encountered up to this point, but that's mainly just because all of the other VUX were trying to kill us! Had that not been the case, this would've been likely regarded as much more of an unpleasant experience. I couldn't help but find myself feeling quite uneasy around him, and he comes across as being very, very creepy, especially considering the way he described admiring different parts of our physiology. Furthermore, as we departed ways, I was also given the distinct impression that he may even be attracted to me, which caused shivers to go up and down my spine... and not in a good way! Very discombobulating to say the least!

I will take some time to study this newfound information about this elusive creature and consult with stellar cartography, science teams, and perhaps this will also give that historian of ours something to do for a change. Zelnick out.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:02 pm

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Supplemental:

It was difficult to know where to begin and I wasn't really sure at all what we were looking for, so, along with myself, the “celestial experts” began inspecting the Starmaps of constellations in the hopes that something would turn up, but it was proving to be much of an undertaking in just trying to make heads or tails of what Admiral ZEX shared with us and compare that information with the various constellations that weren't much more than stick figures with vague designs.

When it came to determining which patterns most represented snakes or long thin creatures, they were in great abundance! I immediately closely examined Serpentis, since it basically has "snake" in its name, but it, like so many others, were only composed of connecting lines, as were the constellations Hydrae, Klystron, Lipi, Leporis, Leonis, Mersenne, Mensae, Vega, Virginis, Scorpii, Scuti and Sextantis. There were also ones that curled around much like a scorpion's tail such as Ceti, Illuminati, Normae and Chamaeleonis. But none of these, like the first grouping, fit the second part which describes it swallowing something.

So we began examining any of the constellations that had anything other than the long, thin linear prerequisite, which included Muscae, Antliae, Apodis, Bootis, Brahe, Crateris, Draconis, Fornacis, Gruis, Hyades, Librae, Lyncis, Tucanae, Vitalis, Volantis and Camelopardalis. I thought Camelopardalis looked quite different, and I tried to convince myself it was a camel (or leopard) being eaten by a snake, but it didn't fit. Hyades and Librae, among several others, have the appearance of being a snake complete with a triangular-shaped head, but they still didn’t seem right. Draconis seemed promising, seeing how it looked like a huge snake going around Alpha Apodis, but it still didn't look like it had actually eaten the bright yellow supergiant.

Frustrated, I began to list each constellation one-by-one, no matter how insignificant-looking they appeared, and also added a brief description with each of them. There were many like Raynet that I described as just being a small line, or Saurus, a small triangle. Before too long we had a sizable list, but in one of the sections I had separated due to their subtle unique qualities, something stuck out at me:

Kepler - Equilateral Triangle
Ceti - "Big Dipper"
Gorno - Disfigured Pentagon
Geminorum - Right Triangle
Lyncis - Snail or Small Boat
Horologii – Hourglass or the number “8”
Cygnus - Arrow-Shaped
Crucis - Parallelogram
Cassiopeiae - Box with Line attached
Arae - Upside-Down Letter "R"

No, it wasn't the disfigured pentagon! It was Lyncis, a star cluster that had always simply looked like a long line with a box attached to it, which I later described as a snail or small boat. When I closely re-read the description and thought about the translation, it dawned on me that this could be the long, thin creature, and the box on top of it is what it would look like after eating a huge beast! Lyncis comes from the word "Lynx," so I wonder if the eaten beast in question was in fact a fairly large lynx!

Then I recalled having an encounter with Fwiffo during a conversation when I was experimenting with his responses where he mentioned the far away system of Delta Lyncis, and sure enough, it just so happens to be a yellow star! That must be it! I indeed think we may have solved this strange mystery, but it's currently too far away to confirm my suspicions.

Having seemingly untied that knot for now, we will get underway and set course for the 2nd planet. We are still at Yellow Alert. Captain out.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:19 pm

Innnteresting analysis. Gonna leave it at that.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:52 pm

Death 999 wrote:Innnteresting analysis. Gonna leave it at that.
Thanks! ...I think.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:52 pm

Captain's Log - Feb 12, 2156 - Alpha Cerenkov, Near Planet 2 - Yellow Alert

As we approached the 2nd planet, SRS indicate it also has 4 moons: 1 Red, 1 Yellow, 1 Green and 1 White. Unfortunately, sensors also revealed a VUX squadron orbiting around the 4th moon as well, but it didn't seem to detect our presence.

Shortly thereafter, it drifted away from us as it exited orbit and headed towards the 5th planet, so we shall attempt to explore the moons and an exploration path has been added: m3-m2-P-m1-m4. However, if our "little friends" return we will have to make a quick departure.

We will set course for the 4th moon as soon as the VUX ships are completely out of sensor range. Zelnick out.
Captain's Log - Feb 12, 2156 - Alpha Cerenkov, Planet 2, Moon 2 - Yellow Alert

We’ve just left from the 3rd moon (a Copper World with reasonable conditions but only had 10 deposits of base metals) and we’ve arrived at the 2nd moon.

Just like the previous moon, this world has a small atmosphere (0.28 atm) and otherwise acceptable conditions with only minor class 3 tectonics. Instead of being a Copper World though, this one is an Auric World containing 8 deposits of precious metals, so we dispatched the Lander and gathered 121 units of gold in 2 trips.

We have set course for the planet. Captain out.
Captain's Log - Feb 12, 2156 - Alpha Cerenkov, Planet 5 - Yellow Alert

After scanning the White Gas Giant, we went from there to its 1st moon, a Carbide World with no atmosphere, class 3 tectonics and 6 common minerals, followed by the 4th moon, a Selenic World with no atmosphere and 5 deposits of base metals, so we set course for the 5th planet.

As soon as we left SRS range and switched over to IPLRS, a patrol of VUX ships appeared to be heading in our general direction. It's difficult to ascertain whether their heading was for one of the first two planets...or us! But we weren't going to stick around to find out!

We resumed course, hoping that venturing closer to the planet is masking our signature, and have just entered orbit of a Radioactive World with a -131°C temperature, class 3 weather, and 8 deposits of radioactive elements.

We will dispatch the Lander to the surface. Zelnick out.

We gathered 100 units of actinium, radium, astatine and thorium from the surface. I think we may have short-changed ourselves by a few units, since the Lander's mineral retrieval unit will disrupt and disintegrate any leftover units it attempts to obtain from any given deposit once the cargo capacity has reached full, presumably to prevent contamination. All the same, I wouldn't have sent down the Lander in two trips anyway to obtain the full deposit allotment since it would've essentially wasted a full unit of fuel.

We will set course for 7th planet. Captain out.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:58 pm

Captain's Log - Feb 13, 2156 - Alpha Cerenkov, Near Planet 7 - Yellow Alert

When we left orbit and began travelling to the 7th planet, IPLRS showed another VUX patrol on the far side of the system making their way towards the outermost planet, so they didn't detect us.

That may be a different story in our current situation, however, since we've just entered SRS range of the 7th planet (which also has 3 green moons and 1 blue one) and VUX Intruders are in orbit on the nearside of the gas giant itself which may very well likely put them within sensor range! Yikes!

Not willing to wait to see if we were in fact detected or not, I ordered the helm to reverse course and place us outside planetary sensor range before changing course to head down to the 3rd planet. This has been very touch-and-go! Zelnick out.
Captain's Log - Feb 13, 2156 - Alpha Cerenkov, Near Planet 3 - Yellow Alert

These dang VUX are all over the place! The previous patrol that showed up on IPLRS was back in view, this time on its way to the 4th planet; still well out of range.

But as soon as we entered close range of the 3rd planet, SRS indicate it has 3 separate groups of VUX ships which could total anywhere between a half to a full dozen vessels! Yikes again!

I've ordered the ship ‘Hard About’ once again to avoid detection and we'll try the 6th planet. Captain out.
Captain's Log - Feb 13, 2156 - Alpha Cerenkov, Planet 3 - Yellow Alert

No VUX detected in the vicinity. This 3rd planet is a Treasure World with good conditions and 6 deposits of precious metals. We had to make some room in cargo bay already by jettisoning some of our common minerals, but for some reason I don't feel nearly as bad as littering within VUX space!

We dispatched the Lander to the surface and gathered 88 units of silver, platinum, iridium, palladium and gold from planetside.

We will set course for the 4th planet. Fingers crossed. Zelnick out.
Captain's Log - Feb 14, 2156 - Alpha Cerenkov, Planet 9 - Yellow Alert

The 4th planet had a VUX patrol orbiting the planet, so we reversed course to elude detection and travelled to the 9th planet.

This time, there are no signs of any VUX nearby, but there are signs of life on this Water World! Half of the planet is ocean, while the other half is a large, singular land mass made mostly of rock with a third of it being an icecap. It has a small 0.24 atmosphere, -168°C temp, class 4 tectonics, 0.85 gravity, 8 base metals and 10 lifeforms.

We will dispatch the Lander to the surface after chunking more common minerals. Captain out.

We found 37 units of tin, aluminum, molybdenum and iron, plus 9 pineapple trees (see Alpha Saurus II) and 1 vulture (Beta Ptolemae IIIa) totaling 19 units of bio-data.

I’ve also informed the crew I will need to activate a time portal to finish exploring this system and make absolutely positive there’s nothing we’ve overlooked. Therefore, this will allow us to engage the VUX when necessary to achieve our goals, but I will be able to return to present time knowing that we left “no stone unturned,” which is somewhat of any irony, considering we’ve had to “hopscotch” our way through this system!

We will head back to the 4th planet. Captain out.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:45 am

Everytime you activate a time portal the present you dies :(. You live on in a different reality!

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:49 pm

Angelfish wrote:Everytime you activate a time portal the present you dies :(. You live on in a different reality!
I suppose it's a small sacrifice for the sake of humanity. ;)

It is indeed troubling though to ponder the tremendous amounts of alternate realities I've created during this endeavor.