About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:31 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Supplemental:

We found many different things on the surface, which was always accompanied by the persistence of ever-present earthquakes! Everywhere you went, more shaking and rumbling was to be found! I ordered the landing team to take an initial assessment to see what we were up against down there, and once they returned with the information we could devise a sound strategy (after activating a time portal of course) that involved dividing our targets accordingly:

The 1st trip consisted of all 3 deposits of base metals, including lead and osmium, along with all 3 big-eared killer mice-like lifeforms like the ones found on Delta Gorno IV and Eta Ptolemae IV, since they only took one shot a piece and were aggressive enough (or foolish enough) to pursue us.

The 2nd and 3rd trip involved grapping half, followed by the other half, of 8 newly discovered stationary plant-like lifeforms that resemble a tree in the shape and similar color pattern to that of a pineapple, except having 2 moving rings in the center and several white moving parts in its trunk, but I will still likely refer to them simply as “pineapple trees”, and they each took 10 hits to stun and are worth 2 units of bio-data each.

What was supposed to be the final trip was targeting all 3 of the red blob-like lifeforms like the same kind found on Beta Gorno IIIa, but unfortunately, it proved to be too difficult to accomplish without casualties, so we instead opted to grab one per trip, for a mission total of 6 trips, where we accumulated a total of 52 units of bio-data.

We will set course for the 3rd planet. Zelnick out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Jan 7, 2156 - Alpha Saurus, Planet 3

Boy was I wrong about this system! We have just entered orbit of a Noble World with class 3 tectonics, no atmosphere (-226° C), very low gravity (0.10g), 4 common minerals, 10 noble gases, and an astonishing 11 lifeforms!

We will dispatch the Lander to the surface. Captain out.

Supplemental:

Well, we did have to accomplish the task in 2 trips, but only because both the mineral and lifeform cargo capacity on the Lander were getting completely full! We found 27 units of helium (common), and 62 units of noble gases, including argon, neon, radon, krypton and xenon. We also found 5 crawling flowers (orig. Zeta Centauri Ia), 1 green jumping jack gummy bear and 5 clapping trees (both orig. Beta Centauri IIIb), for a total of 59 units of bio-data, and giving us a grand total of 217 units of bio-data so far.

We will set course for Gamma Saurus. Zelnick out.
Captain's Log - Jan 8, 2155 - Gamma Saurus

As we left the system, Interstellar Long-Range Sensors detected the same outward object on our sensors coming our direction on an intercept course; it must be a Slylandro Probe.

We have just entered the Gamma Saurus System, and it's a red dwarf star with...well, lots of space around it! It doesn't have any planets orbiting it whatsoever, so to put some more distance between us and the Probe, along with saving a pointless day's worth of a trip, I will activate the time portal to when we were about to leave the Alpha Saurus System, where we will instead set course for Beta Saurus.

Captain out.
Captain's Log - Jan 8, 2155 - Beta Saurus

We have just arrived on the outskirts of the Beta Saurus, another red dwarf star except this one actually has a planet, a blue medium-sized one.

We will set course for the planet. Zelnick out.
Captain's Log - Jan 9, 2156 - Beta Saurus, Planet 1

We have just entered orbit of a Hydrocarbon World with no atmosphere (-245° C), a far orbit (8.30 a.u.), and a mass, radius, gravity, days, and tilt similar to earth’s, but it only contains 8 deposits of common minerals and 1 deposits of base metals, so I'll be activating the time portal once again.

Once I'm back in Alpha Saurus we will set course for Gamma Raynet. Captain out.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:44 pm

I believe every system in the game has at least 1 planet. My guess is it was probably in very close orbit around its sun so it was pretty well hidden, but it's there.

Tormuse
Orz *camper*

Post by Tormuse » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:27 pm

Yup, you may want to double-check Gamma Saurus.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:25 am

Draxas wrote:I believe every system in the game has at least 1 planet. My guess is it was probably in very close orbit around its sun so it was pretty well hidden, but it's there.
Tormuse wrote:Yup, you may want to double-check Gamma Saurus.
Looks like I'll be heading back there soon!
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:49 pm

Captain's Log - Jan 8, 2155 - Gamma Saurus

Before using the time portal to return to Alpha Saurus, my 1st Officer asked me why we didn't choose to explore Gamma Saurus, to which I replied that there were no planets in that system. He recommended we return there and give it a more thorough search, since our sensors have occasionally only been able to detect planets that were partially obscured, so it's possible that there could be a planet so close to the sun's orbit that it is completely obscured and virtually undetectable, so I've activated the previous time portal for when we first entered the Gamma Saurus System.

We will set a course for a close sensor reading of the sun, and see if SRS detect any planets in close orbit. Zelnick out.
Captain's Log - Jan 9, 2155 - Gamma Saurus, Planet 1

It looks like our Interplanetary Long-Range Sensors did in fact overlook a planet! On the opposite side of the sun in a very close orbit (0.55 a.u.), there was a small purple world which turned out to be a Pellucid World with favorable conditions and a deposit of exotic minerals! I’ve added to ship’s protocol to always conduct a close-range scan of every star before departing each system to ensure all planets (or anything else in close stellar orbit) have been accounted for and verified.

Captain's Log - Supplemental:

We found 4 units of Tzo Crystals on the surface!

We will set course for Gamma Raynet. Zelnick out.
Captain's Log - Jan 13, 2156 - Gamma Raynet

That stinking Probe was on our tail the entire time during our trip to this system, and will most assuredly be waiting for us when we exit the system.

We have just entered the Gamma Raynet System, the 3rd red star in a row for us to explore, and this one has at least 2 planets that I'm aware of:

Planet 1: Small Purple
Planet 2: Small Yellow

We will head to the 2nd planet first. Captain out.
Captain's Log - Jan 14, 2156 - Gamma Raynet, Planet 2

We have just entered orbit of a Urea World with class 3 weather, class 5 tectonics, and only 2 common minerals, so we'll be moving on.

We will set course for the 1st planet. Zelnick out.
Captain's Log - Jan 15, 2156 - Gamma Raynet, Planet 1

We have just entered orbit of a Pellucid World, and just like the one in Gamma Saurus, this one also has a deposit of exotic minerals.

We will send down the Lander. Captain out.
Captain's Log – Supplemental:

Wow! We found 10 more Tzo Crystals!

We will set course for Alpha Raynet. Zelnick out.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:34 pm

The Troglodyte wrote:I’ve added to ship’s protocol to always conduct a close-range scan of every star before departing each system to ensure all planets (or anything else in close stellar orbit) have been accounted for and verified.
No need to go that far. Look at the title bar when you're at any planet or moon, and it'll tell you which planet it is, out from the sun. If it matches the number of planet-orbits you see, you're in good shape.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:09 pm

Captain's Log - Jan 17, 2155 - Alpha Raynet

As we left the system, the awaiting Slylandro Probe overpursued and went right past us as we engaged the HyperDrive and outran it all the way to the Alpha Raynet System, which is a small green star with one small cyan planet that unfortunately has a separate Probe orbiting it. Not sure if we'll be able to slip by this one!

We will set course for the 1st planet. We are going to Red Alert. Captain out.
Captain's Log - Jan 17, 2156 - Alpha Raynet, Planet 1

As we approached the 1st planet, the Probe detected our presence and moved to intercept. As we initiated evasive maneuvers, another Probe entered the vicinity from the top right. Just as we were about to enter orbit, the 1st one approached weapon's range and made contact, and after the usual talk we engaged it in battle. The Probe entered into TrueSpace at medium range, but fortunately we spun the nose around fast enough and blasted it! We've salvaged the 550 RUs from the debris and proceeded to the planet with the other Probe approaching.

We are in orbit of an Opalescent World with class 3 tectonics, far orbit (10.3 a.u.), no atmosphere (-170° C), tiny mass (0.01 e.s.), low gravity (0.14g), 7 common minerals, 1 noble gas and 6 rare earth elements.

We will dispatch the Lander with haste to the surface. We are at Yellow Alert. Zelnick out.

Supplemental:

We picked up all of the minerals, including 33 units of arsenic and silicon, 3 units of argon, and 44 units of samarium and gadolinium.

We will set course for Beta Raynet, but the helm will operate the controls manually until we've put some distance between us and the Probe, and then we can engage the auto-pilot. Maintain Yellow Alert. Captain out.
Captain's Log - Jan 19, 2155 - Beta Raynet

We slipped past the Probe approaching the planet, but the other one was still waiting outside the system and made contact, and after the formalities were complete the Vindicator made short work of it. We resumed course and have just arrived in the Beta Raynet system, a small green dwarf star with only one medium blue planet.

We will set course for the planet. Zelnick out.
Captain's Log - Jan 20, 2155 - Beta Raynet, Planet 1

We have just entered orbit of a Hydrocarbon World with 1 deposit of common minerals and 5 deposits of base metals, but the high gravity of 1.15g definitely makes this a planet worth passing by. Usually at this time I would engage the time portal to save us the trouble of exploring this planet, but since that would probably mean we'd have to fight our way through a couple of Probes again, I'll activate the portal to when we first entered this system, which will at least save us the time it took to travel to this planet.

We will set course for Vela. Captain out.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:55 pm

Captain's Log - Jan 22, 2156 - Vela

I'm back in my old stomping grounds! I can almost smell the giant blue flower Iccamullons now! Vela is a yellow dwarf star with 6 planets:

Planet 1 - Medium Blue
Planet 2 - Small Blue
Planet 3 - Medium Green
Planet 4 - Violet Gas Giant
Planet 5 - Small Green
Planet 6 - Medium Purple

Even though the Vindicator's onboard scanning equipment was only partially functional before Commander Hayes' Starbase technicians had a chance to get all of the scanners and computer equipment functioning properly, according to my historical records, Unzervalt should be the 2nd planet (Vela II) in this system, and IPLRS indicate it falls within the cool zone temperatures, and the innermost planet falls inside the green temperate zone, while the remaining worlds are in the cold zone.

We have plotted a planetary exploration path that will take us to the 2nd planet first: 2-1-3-4-6-5

We will now set course and head for "our world." Zelnick out.
Captain's Log - Jan 23, 2155 - Vela, Planet 2

Ok, so this is a bit strange. I could've sworn that this planet was going to be Unzervalt, but it's turned out to be just another run-of-the-mill Noble World with no atmosphere, class 3 tectonics, a tiny 0.01 e.s. mass with a low 0.09 gravity, 4 deposits of common minerals and 8 noble gases. Well, while we're here, we might as well get some gas.

Supplemental:

We picked up 17 units of helium and 46 units of argon, krypton and neon.

We have set course for the 1st planet. Zelnick out.
Captain's Log - Jan 23, 2155 - Vela, Near Planet 1

Yikes! Well, I think we just found Unzervalt! Unfortunately, it has a massive red glowing slave shield around it! And guess what else it has around it? An Ur-Quan Dreadnought! I have placed a time portal and we will proceed with caution. All hands have been issued the order of General Quarters: Battle Stations!

We have engaged...the Ur-Quan!!

We have set an intercept course for the Ur-Quan Dreadnought. We are at Red Alert. Captain out.
Last edited by The Troglodyte on Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tormuse
Orz *camper*

Post by Tormuse » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:05 pm

Ooh, now this'll be a real test of your upgraded weaponry! :) (I'll bet you wish you'd gotten more practice with those probes!) :)

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:26 pm

Captain's Log - Jan 24, 2155 - Vela, Planet 1

The Ur-Quan had detected the Vindicator's jump to HyperSpace when we first left the system, but they fortunately didn't know our destination. Regrettably however, they were able to calculate the whereabouts of its origin (which they grotesquely compared to a hunter tracking its prey by its animal droppings) and found the colony that we had left behind. Then they erected a slave shield and also commissioned an Ur-Quan Dreadnought to remain in orbit, just in case we happened to return, which unfortunately for them... we did.

During the battle, the Dreadnought must have immediately detected our Point-Defense Laser System, and therefore knew any Fighters they deployed would meet the same result they would against one of our Cruisers. They thought they could quickly overtake us, but they were wrong! I ordered the helm to use the turning jets only to point the ship's bow away from the incoming Ur-Quan, and when the Dreadnought was at medium-range, I ordered thrusters to engage Half Ahead. Then, the helm brought the Vindicator's frontal weapon's array about-face so tactical could quickly lock onto the Ur-Quan vessel and we fired the full volley of the Hellbore Cannon's salvo right smack into the Dreadnought's hull and completely destroyed it!! As I recall, Commander Hayes had told me when we were departing Starbase to blow up an Ur-Quan for him, so I'm glad we were able to meet his request!

It was all too bittersweet though, soon we were in orbit of Unzervalt as we are now, left only with the all-too-familiar reminder of what the Ur-Quan are capable of, and also that same helpless feeling as we looked down on the red-glowing world that we once called "home", which now is nothing more than a prison window with the inmates locked away on the other side... and visiting hours are over. Damn the Ur-Quan!

We will regroup and set a course for the 3rd planet. Zelnick out.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Jan 26, 2155 - Vela, Planet 3

Before leaving orbit, I checked the starmap and confirmed the Ur-Quan’s sphere of influence, which pretty much encompasses the entire central portion of this region of the galaxy, and it also completely overlaps the Zoq-Fot-Pik’s area of space. Poor ZFP.

The 3rd planet was a Redux World with only corrosives and base metals, the 4th planet was a violet gas giant without any moons, and the 6th planet was a Vinylogous World with base metals, so we’ve just entered orbit of the 5th planet, a Halide World with no atmosphere (-203° C), class 3 tectonics, tiny mass (0.01 e.s.) with a low gravity (0.15g), 4 corrosives and 2 radioactive elements.

We will dispatch the Lander to the surface. Zelnick out.

Supplemental:

We gathered 44 units of corrosive elements, including bromine and fluorine, along with 20 units of the radioactive element astatine.

We will set course for Zeeman. Captain out.