About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:08 pm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Dec 26, 2155 - Alpha Wolf, Planet 4, Moon 1

We have just entered orbit of an Azure World with a very cold -249° C, a small atmosphere (0.24 atm), class 4 tectonics, a tiny mass (0.02 e.s.), a tilt over on its side (48°), 4 base metals, and a dozen lifeforms.

We will dispatch the Lander to the surface. Captain out.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Supplemental:

During our first trip we grabbed the 20 units of base metals, including molybdenum, indium and vanadium, but it took an additional trip to finish gathering up all of the bio-data of lifeforms; our new rapid-fire stunner quickly took down the creatures, including 3 of the green jumping jack "gummy bears", 4 of the multi-eyed slow-moving block-shaped "celery stalks," and 5 of a new lifeform we hadn't seen before:

They were round, with a golden orangish-brown color with a yellow center with numerous white cilia-like protrusions coming out of its body, which either functioned for movement, feeling, or both. They were rather slow and only took around 5 hits to stun; they are worth 8 points of bio-data, giving us a total of 92.

We have set course for the 2nd moon. Zelnick out.
Captain's Log - Dec 27, 2155 - Alpha Wolf, Planet 4, Moon 4

Both the 2nd and 3rd moon were Super-Dense Worlds with class 5 tectonics and 4 and 6 base metals respectively, so we proceeded to the 4th moon.

This moon, a Urea World, has a tiny mass (0.02 e.s.,) with a thick 2.08 atmosphere, an extremely cold -249° C, very long days (215.6 days,) 4 deposits of common minerals, and 14 biological lifeforms!

We will dispatch the Lander to the surface. Captain out.

Supplemental:

We picked up 45 units of formaldehyde while on the surface focusing on gathering the lifeforms, which included 10 big blue slugs and 4 flying eagles, which only totaled 14 units of bio-data. Unsatisfactory.

We have set course for the 2nd planet. Zelnick out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Dec 27, 2155 - Alpha Wolf, Planet 2

We have just entered orbit of a Super-Dense World with class 3 weather, class 6 tectonics and 1 base metal, so we'll be moving on.

We will set course for Beta Wolf. Captain out.
Captain's Log - Dec 28, 2155 - Beta Wolf, Planet 1

We arrived in the Beta Wolf System, a yellow star with one small green planet orbiting, so we set course and headed for the planet.

It turned out to only be a Cyanic World with class 3 tectonics and 7 common minerals, so we'll be moving on.

We have set course for Rigel. Captain out.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:02 pm

Quasispatial wrote:
Death 999 wrote:Well, dang. That's ... silly
Oh please, it is so hard avoiding to blend in certain spoilers regarding the silly... you know. Talking about the quote said by you-know-who at you-know-where.
...now that I think about it, that wasn't very informative.
The Troglodyte wrote:You guys and your inside jokes! :)
Don't look at me - I have no idea what he's talking about.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:15 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Jan 1, 2156 - Rigel

We have just entered the Rigel System, which derived its name from the Arabic name of Rijl Jauzah al Yusrā; Rijl meaning "foot", referring to the left foot of Jauzah, a.k.a. Orion.

This system is an orange star with 3 planets:

Planet 1: Small Purple
Planet 2: White Gas Giant
Planet 3: Blue Gas Giant

Once again, the historical records compared with current stellar data shows many discrepancies, since Rigel should instead be a white-blue supergiant, its old proper Bayer designation would be Beta Orionis (β Ori), but that star (a small green star by the way) is many parsecs from here at [197.8 : 596.8.] Maybe it’s Rigel B, a binary star, but then it should still have its twin nearby, or even Rigel Kentaurus, but that's designated Alpha Centauri A. This is all very confusing. I’m thinking perhaps the Vindicator's Precursor computer brought over the celestial cartography maps and then filled in the blanks the best it could with the available stellar terms and materials to produce a working starmap. At least that’s what I’ll keep telling myself to help me sleep a little better at night.

Anyway, that's not nearly as important as to what brings us here in the first place! The HyperWave transmissions that Commander Hayes reported are allegedly coming from somewhere in this system... and we've got to find the source! ISLRS detected nothing en route, and IPLRS aren't detecting any ships nearby, but that doesn't rule out one (or heaven forbid many) could be orbiting a planet nearby.

Sensors show the first two planets in a closer orbit than the furthest gas giant, which puts it almost as far as Pluto relative to Earth's sun, and the innermost is the only one that falls in the cool zone.

We have plotted a standard descending planetary exploration path: 3-2-1

We will set course for the 3rd planet. We are now going to Yellow Alert. Zelnick out.
Captain's Log - Jan 1, 2156 - Rigel, Near Planet 3

As we approached the 3rd planet, a gas giant without any moons, SRS indicate a Zoq-Fot-Pik Stinger in orbit! That must be the source of the transmission! This actually could be a very good thing... I hope!

According to the Melnorme, they’re supposed to be a friendly species in dire need of protection from the two warring Ur-Quan clans, and their close proximity to the conflict may have given them some insights that may be beneficial as well.

However, I'm not taking any chances. Purely precautionary, we are going to Red Alert. Helm has been engaged to intercept the ZFP Stinger. Captain out.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:47 am

As stated on the original map, since hyperspace layout is so different from realspace they redid the constellation and star names altogether

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:05 pm

Death 999 wrote:As stated on the original map, since hyperspace layout is so different from realspace they redid the constellation and star names altogether
Oh, I've never seen the original starmap before. I mean... I may have browsed by it and similar variations when I was looking for a printable starmap that also didn't contain spoilers, but I never closely examined any of the ones that had spheres of influence, since I was apprehensive about them possibly labeling points of interest and some such.

I happened upon the one folks have been seeing me post a few times by pure luck, and I like it alot since it only displays constellation names and I also managed to print it out on 4 different sheets and tape them together (obviously to make it bigger) and then colored in the stars.

I've taken a closer look at that one now and seen how it talks about with the Chenjesu creating a "standard" stellar layout, and I may have to reference the original online only from time to time, since I have no way of printing it out in color and the black background makes is difficult to read when printed.

It brings up an interesting new development though, I noticed they give shape to many of the constellations, this seems like there may possibly come a time when this comes into play. Hmmm...

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:29 pm

Captain's Log - Jan 1, 2156 - Rigel, Planet 3

What a New Year's this has turned out to be! We were successful in making contact with the Zoq-Fot-Pik, and they’ve proven to be a very interesting bunch! They are a conglomerate co-op of three different species, but there is some difference of opinion as to which name of species is designated to which group. Actually, the debate seems to be only between two of the groups; curiously strange, the one representing a third never even spoke, but observed with its single eye darting back between the other two as they spoke. They are all collectively caught between the Ur-Quan's and Kohr-Ah's ritual battle, and gave us some details of their different warring ships and described how they prefer to battle each near strong gravity wells, presumably for gravity whips, and how this has caused severe collateral damage, destroying all of their colonies, leaving them only their homeworld, which as a result has been rendered quite vulnerable.

The first to speak was predominately green (who was referred to by the second as being female,) and she had the resemblance of being a cross between a snake and vines of a plant, almost like a trumpet that’s been twisted and contorted, and she also had a top shaped like a toadstool, and her overall squatty shape was similar to that of an actual toad, and there were no discernable legs, hands, eyes, mouth, or any other human attributes. She had two flagella-like limbs, resembling small dark vines with leaves or unopened flowers, which came from behind the “head” area and looped around to the front and seemed to function as her mouth, since they moved up and down as she spoke, along with an occasional “gulp” that would bubble down the center that wound and looped around the rest of the body.

She was clearly the more sensible one, and exhibited a diplomatic approach when speaking about things with objectivity and practicality, and it seemed likely she was sent as the primary ambassador. She often referenced the “Crystal Ones”, which are most likely the Chenjesu, whom the Melnorme had reported making contact with the ZFP early in the war. At the very beginning of the conversation, as well as after we demonstrated an interest in helping them with their struggles, she urged us repeatedly to travel to the green dwarf star of Alpha Tucanae and meet with their leaders on the first planet to discuss the possibilities of an alliance.

The second speaker seemed much more skeptical, and would chime in with doubtful opinions and second guess us and our intentions. He was bluish-gray and tubular-shaped, with a giant spring underneath that seemed to serve as both "leg(s)" and "mouth," and there were three small holes on the outside of his top section that would periodically smoke or steam like a whale's blowhole, as if like an exhale performed between breaths. Once again, besides my reaching comparisons, there was really no features that were much in common with any human physical qualities, or any animal wildlife found on Earth for that matter.

While his challenges to our sincerity was somewhat vexing, they were at least understandable. Perhaps this individual was sent as an advisor, where the mindset would be more inclined to take a more pessimistic and contrary approach, rather than take us at face value. Another thing I noticed during our meeting was very peculiar: the Vindicator's Precursor translation computer either produced very straightforward questions and remarks while also containing the most obvious of antagonistic and down-right obnoxious of insults! While doing some experimenting with the time portal, whenever I would use said insults, the blue springy one would immediately jump in with an "I told you so" resignation and proclaim how he knew it all along we couldn't be trusted. The first would immediately interject and demand more patience and compassion, apparently willing to do just about anything to seek peace, and this was met with much chagrin of the blue slinky, who felt like they were kowtowing and acting cowardly.

The third one's place was between the two talkers, and could have been present for the sole-purpose of observation and simply chose not to speak, or maybe they're not capable of speaking at all! After all, there was no visible mouth, and he/she/it (I'm not even sure if they have a gender) was mostly brown with the aforementioned one large eye on a face that was positioned at the bottom of its body, which had the shape of something like a flattened squid, and attached was a huge fan-shaped body part that came out from the backside of its head, similar to a cobra's hood, except it wasn't directly attached to the head, but fanned up from underneath, like tail feathers of a turkey, and there were also four vertical prong-like tubes on the inside of the crest.

Considering we know virtually nothing about this race or races (depending on how you want to look at it) it's completely possible that this central-positioned one could very well be the leader, and communicates by other means, like telepathically, or speaks on a frequency we are unable to hear, or maybe even communicates through these two by using them as a chorus of sorts, and the range of emotion is channeled through each depending on their interpretation obligations. I don't know... maybe it just sends a text.

We were able to learn a little about the evolutionary period of the Zoq-Fot-Pik, who had to learn how to cooperate with each other long ago in order to survive. Their diet seems plant-like or semi-aquatic in nature, and consists of absorbing sunlight, consuming small airborne lifeforms, and licking mold off rocks, which sounds totally gross to me, but they seem to love it! They also spoke of a predatory species called the Zebranky, who consumed much larger things - namely them - but after they combined their efforts, they were able to subdue the hostile creatures, ultimately to the point of its extinction.

I just realized, even though it's on a totally different backdrop, the Zoq-Fot-Pik's evolutionary achievements has some similarities with that of the Ur-Quan. In fairness though, probably most, if not all, species that attain sentience, sapience, and finally, civilization, must first do so by overcoming the odds by using adaptation, ingenuity, and ultimately... cooperation. In fact, the Zoq-Fot-Pik show us the importance and virtue of what can be accomplished through cooperation. And Hey!... That's what the Alliance of Free Stars is all about!

After acknowledging their offer of friendship, we agreed we would venture out to Alpha Tucanae as soon as we were able and help them with their current situation, which pretty much goes hand-in-hand with the entire galaxy's current situation, they just have unfortunately received front row tickets. After they departed, I checked the starmap and it looks as if their sphere of influence has been reduced to one quadrant, consisting of the Cassiopeiae Constellation, part of the Carinae Constellation, and of course, Alpha Tucanae.

We will set course for the 2nd planet. Zelnick out.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:29 am

Though it is never revealed in-game, it never really matters and so isn't a spoiler to point out that the source code indicates that the three aliens are, in left-to-right order, Zoq, Fot, and Pik.

Tormuse
Orz *camper*

Post by Tormuse » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:54 pm

Death 999 wrote:
Quasispatial wrote:
Death 999 wrote:Well, dang. That's ... silly
Oh please, it is so hard avoiding to blend in certain spoilers regarding the silly... you know. Talking about the quote said by you-know-who at you-know-where.
If it makes you feel any better, I've played through the game several times and I don't know what they're talking about either.

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:20 am

Tormuse wrote:
Death 999 wrote:
Quasispatial wrote:
If it makes you feel any better, I've played through the game several times and I don't know what they're talking about either.
Well, as I said. Once I tried to not say anything... spoilerous, it was not very informative. I doubt even I will understand what I talked about once I forget about it.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:45 pm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Jan 2, 2155 - Rigel, Planet 2, Moon 4

As we approached the 2nd planet, SRS show it has 4 moons: 3 Red and 1 Blue.

The 3rd moon was a Dust World with 3 base metals, so we continued towards the 4th moon, which is a Noble World without an atmosphere and it has class 3 tectonics, low gravity (0.12 g), 2 common minerals, and 7 noble gases.

We will send down the Lander to the surface. Captain out.

Supplemental:

We picked up 39 units total of noble gases, including argon, xenon, radon and krypton. We also acquired some more helium as well.

We have set course for the planet. Zelnick out.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Jan 3, 2156 - Rigel, Planet 1

The white gas giant barely had any tilt at all (1°), but nothing else was unusual about it; the 1st moon was an Infrared World without any minerals whatsoever, and the 2nd moon was another Dust World with only 1 deposit of base metals, so we went to the 1st planet and have just entered its orbit, and it’s a Purple World with favorable conditions, 0.17 gravity, and 6 deposits of base metals.

Ok, I can't take it anymore, I want to get these minerals, regardless if we end up throwing them out the airlock! It will only use 0.3 units of fuel, so that basically means it will cost us a whopping 7 RUs if the metals never make back to base.

We will dispatch the Lander to the surface. Zelnick out.

Supplemental:

We picked up 64 units of base metals, including cadmium and rhenium.

We will set course for Alpha Saurus. Captain out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Jan 6, 2156 - Alpha Saurus

We have just entered the Alpha Saurus System, but a very faint blip appeared off the left side of ISLRS just before we dropped out of HyperSpace; it’s probably another dumb Probe. Alpha Saurus is another small orange star with 3 planets:

Planet 1: Small Red
Planet 2: Small Purple
Planet 3: Small Blue

When I asked the computer to give me information on Alpha Saurus, it proceeded to show me a book series of a friendly stegosaurus eager to help children learn about the alphabet. Then it referred me to the Taurus Constellation instead, so I'm beginning to think that maybe the ship's computer may have gotten confused between what's a bull and what's a lizard! It doesn't really matter, these planets show very little potential, the blue one has a very far orbit, and both the red and purple are still very cold, so I'd be pretty surprised to find good amounts of minerals or any lifeforms.

We have plotted a planetary exploration path: 2-1-3

We will set course for the 2nd planet. Zelnick out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain's Log - Jan 6, 2155 - Alpha Saurus, Planet 2

Simply amazing! We have just entered orbit of a planet with 14 biological lifeforms...on a Super-Dense World no less! This planet is extremely violent with class 8 tectonics that will even give our improved Lander's struts and shocks all they can handle and then some! It also has a 1.78 thick atmosphere, class 3 weather, and a gravity of 0.54g, which is very high for such a small mass (0.04 e.s.), and it will consume 1.1 units of fuel per trip, which I'm hoping will be few.

We have dispatched the Lander to the surface. Captain out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------