About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

krulle
Reborn Shofixti

Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

Post by krulle » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:09 pm

Oh, I did send the defenders away, but only in the view of the planet and moon screen, once I was inside the ring.

And if you find it a spoiler to say that some ships work better than I expected them to work in my hands, then we have extremely different views of spoilering an experience.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:25 am

Looks like spoilery still remains one of the sideshows on this little adventure of ours, and we all know how krulle likes to dance on the edge of spoiler nation, but really, there’s no need for anyone to worry about releasing spoilers. I mean, at this point, unless somebody goes out of their way to give a definitive battle strategy on how to defeat the Sa-Matra, everything should be relatively innocuous. I’ve learned most of the main game secrets and I am headstrong in my approach to finishing this thing out moving forward. I’ve learned how to operate each and every ship at my command and I feel confident I can utilize them fully; that is, once I’ve actually gone head-to-head against the Sa-Matra and seen the thing in action for myself!

I’ve even taken a peak underneath the most recent posts and my decision-making will not be influenced or deterred in anyway, and yes, some of it could be considered spoiler information, but at least it was covered, allowing it to be my choice. And krulle, you’re actually correct: My plan IS to approach the Sa-Matra with the most diverse of fleets as possible and experiment to see how to battle the trophy ship and see which ships might be able to best exploit any potential weaknesses the Sa-Matra might have, and any ship, whether it be small or large, could use their unique capabilities to form a battle strategy. Then I guess we’ll see, but I know this much, I’m going to present my logs in such a way that brings everyone along for the ride, and everybody gets a front-seat view! That being said, the ride may get a little bumpy, but I feel confident in my ability to see this through to victory! (at least I sure hope so!)
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

krulle
Reborn Shofixti

Post by krulle » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:38 am

Then I do wish you a lot of luck.

And I'm curious.

Have fun!

Stickman_king_28
Silly Supox

Post by Stickman_king_28 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:58 pm

Alright Captain... We're in the endgame now. Everyone get ready, say your goodbyes, and do other dramatically necessary things before the vindicator leaves port.
Soo... What were primitive ur-quan like? I just love to speculate about my favorite slave-master caterpillars. That wheezy voice acting tho
I have legal bulls**t phobia

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:34 am

FWIW, I'd read asking 'you don't expect to win' as asking about his expectations (you know, what it's literally asking about), even if his fleet is ideally suited to the task and he coasts to victory with the first ship selection.

krulle
Reborn Shofixti

Post by krulle » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:04 am

So it is readable how I meant the question...

Anyway, I hope the captain has fun on his trip and informs us staybacks at the base rather sooner than later about how it went.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:33 am

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Apr 21, 2158 – Delta Crateris V – Red Alert

After the Dnyarri breathed green smoke and used his psychic powers, the massive circular wall of Ur-Quan and Kohr-Ah ships dispersed and went on a picnic to discuss at length the many benefits of daisies and butterflies, which gave us the opportunity to enter the inner-sanctum area of their holy Sa-Matra, but we found something blocking our way:

I should’ve known. We opened hailing frequencies to hear “insubordination will not be tolerated blah blah blah” speech:

Ur-Quan Guardian – “There is something wrong here… something which
makes my sheath retract and my talons ooze.
I sense the ugliness of a thousand evil thoughts…
…and I have located the source of these fetid
emanations.
They come from aboard your vessel!
Foolish renegade human, why have you come here? All
that you have found…
…is your inevitable punishment.
You may not approach the ancient Sa-Matra, the
symbol of Ur-Quan dominance!
Your presence here is further violation of the slave
laws…
…which your species have already violated so
flagrantly.
We cannot tolerate such insubordination.
Your species’ penalty shall be annihilation!”

Not even time for a quick Q & A session from the Ur-Quan, so it was time to get down to business. We first send in an Arilou as a scout to check out which battleship would enter first, which turned out to be an Ur-Quan, so it moved itself away from the Dreadnought and as soon as the first waves of fighters began returning to their mothership, the Skiff teleported out of there.

We sent in Fwiffo with his StarRunner to engage the Dreadnought (isn’t it ironic that the first ship we’re sending to attack the enemy is a Spathi?) and they were able to whittle the Ur-Quan down by bombarding them with B.U.T.T. torpedoes, but due to some laser strikes from a few fighters and a couple of lucky hits of fusion blast, we decided to recall the Voidship before the next vessel could arrive.

We performed the same scouting tactic with our Thraddash Torch, with the caveat of departure in case of a subsequent Dreadnought, but it was a Kohr-Ah, so the Torch stuck around to fight the Marauder. Unfortunately, during their runs while conducting a few successful sweeps of Afterburner Plasma along the Kohr-Ah’s path, the Thraddash failed to avoid the Spinning Blades placed in their path and the Torch were destroyed.

This was a perfect opportunity for our Orz Nemesis, or more precisely, their mighty legion of Space Marines! The Nemesis baited the Marauder into pursuing them, and when they had them lined up, the majority of the Orz departed their mothership dressed in their space suits (and don’t forget your laser tridents!) and destroyed the Kohr-Ah vessel, but more than half the Orz were killed by either Spinning Blade or Kohr-Ah blade (or whatever they use to fight “hand-to-hand” ― albeit a mostly inadequate term altogether)

We noticed during the following battle an alternating pattern they were using to send in their ships, since the next opponent was an Ur-Quan, which destroyed the Orz ship after suffering almost fifty percent damage, but eventually one of their fighters got close enough to blast the Nemesis being piloted by a lone captain manning the weapons and steering the helm. We thought that sending in our Pkunk Fury would finish off the Ur-Quan, but the Dreadnought still had enough crew to launch a few pairs of fighters, which forced the Pkunk into a one-dimensional offense, but even after a resurrection the Fury failed its task.

We sent in the Syreen Penetrator, but even though they managed to get close enough to activate their Psionic Amplifier, its effect was essentially nullified since the Syreen ship was obliterated by a combination of fighter laser-fire and Fusion Bolts before they had a chance to scoop up any Ur-Quan crew, and a swift follow-up had the abandoned crew back in the Dreadnought before the next ship could arrive, which out of frustration I decided should be the Chmmr Avatar.

The Avatar pulled the Ur-Quan in with great haste and sliced the Dreadnought in half with the rest of its battery, but the Ur-Quan got a couple of shots off before their destructive demise, and 2 ZapSats and a good portion of the crew was eliminated. The Kohr-Ah warped in at medium-range and immediately started tossing Spinning Blades which quickly took out the remaining ZapSat, and the Chmmr had no other choice but to tractor in the Marauder to do the most damage possible, thus sacrificing themselves in the process, but leaving only a handful of Kohr-Ah remaining.

If any situation called for bring in the Tobermoon, our only Cruiser, then this was it! The Marauder was down to just 8 crew left, so the prognosis of battle strategy was simple: Warp in. Fire the torpedoes. Ka-boom! Warp out. Well, it didn’t quite work out like quite that since the Kohr-Ah’s super ring of f.r.i.e.d. death blocked one of the incoming missiles and they began pursuit. Fortunately, the Tobermoon was at a good distance and in sight of the nearby red planet, so they positioned themselves into the gravity pull and fired another volley of 2 torpedoes and then immediately activated the emergency warp out just before hitting the planet, which served as a shield from the Marauder’s blades, giving the Cruiser sufficient time to get out of their safely, plus 1 of the Nuclear Missiles hit its target as the Earth ship escaped. I’m dubbing this “The Tobermoon Maneuver”!

The Yehat Terminator entered the battlefield and then a few moments later the last remaining Dreadnought arrived. The Terminator set a direct course for the Dreadnought, which did the same move while sending out multiple sets of its fighters. The Terminator raised its shield while simultaneously firing all Pulse Cannons on the hull of the Ur-Quan vessel, but the Yehat was coming in so fast that it bounced off the Dreadnought while taking a point-blank direct hit and multiple laser shots from the nearby fighters while its shield was temporarily down. The Yehat came about and began another attack run, eliminating some fighters and inflicting lots of more damage with the twin-firing missiles, but the attack depleted their auxiliary power rendering the shield inoperative long enough for a few more retaliatory shots, putting an end to the Terminator.

Under normal circumstances, the Druuge Mauler would usually be at a disadvantage against an Ur-Quan at full strength, since its fighters can often be too much for the Druuge to adequately avoid, but since the Yehat had reduced the Ur-Quan to less than half its strength, they were unable to launch more than a pair of fighters at a time, so the Mauler positioned itself in line with the Dreadnought and fired off shot after shot until the Ur-Quan was destroyed.

The last ship, a Kohr-Ah Marauder, showed up and started pursuing the Mauler while throwing many Spinning Blades at it… naturally. The Druuge gave it their best effort but the necessity to line-up their shots against a far more slender profile than the previous Dreadnought, so it occupied much of their attention and they neglected to avoid a few Blades, and their multiple furnace sacrifices to garner more energy ultimately cost them their ship.

The Utwig signaled that they were ready to engage the Kohr-Ah, so we sent them in, and they were definitely up to the task! They disregarded the multitude of Spinning Blades, serving as both mines and projectiles in their path, but they raised their shields and swept through them like a kid’s game of hopscotch and continued until they came in direct contact with the Kohr-Ah. The defense plasma ring also met the same resolve and was also absorbed just as easily by the Jugger’s shield and the Utwig began to continuously fire their Widespread missiles whilst keeping the thrusters on full, bouncing and firing, but they began to take some damage while they couldn’t keep track of all the blades being fired, but it didn’t matter… the final guardian ship was destroyed!

Before we could switch our focus to engage the Sa-Matra, to our astonishment there were suddenly Yehat on our viewscreen announcing that the rebellion had been won!! What?! Not only that, but they have found a new Queen to lead them into a new chapter of united Yehat greatness, which has surprisingly enough, turned out to be Pkunk! Craziness! Now with the Pkunk becoming intertwined in their culture, instead of being happy birds of prey… they’ll be hippy dippy birds of dreaming and playful contemplation! The new Queen, Braky Girdy the First’s first command was to rush over some Yehat and Pkunk ships to come to our rescue! All right!!

Now time to take on the big bad boy!! Zelnick out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Supplemental:

Uh… yikes!

Battle Stations! Captain out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:11 am

Here goes, the final battle. Looking forward to see how your attack goes. Good luck, captain!

One thing of note: the Utwig Jugger actually fires energy bolts from a separate power source to the shield, not missiles. Thought you'd like to know.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

krulle
Reborn Shofixti

Post by krulle » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:22 am

This here? The replenishing armada?
I never got it, since I always used my BumpingTool to fight off the Ur-Quan factions....

I only found out about the additional ships once I played UQM 0.3 and read it in the forums....

Also, good to see you having passed the second line of defense.
Now let's hope the Sa-Matra is still powering up, because its main weapons can kill you before your sensors can even see the ship...

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:53 am

Good luck in the fight!
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.