About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

krulle
Ilwrath torturer

Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

Post by krulle » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:44 pm

---ICOM ONLINE---

PLEASE BE ADVISED, THAT THE AUTOMATIC LOG SEARCH ENGINE MIGHT HAVE FOUND A PREVIOUS RELEVANT ENTRY.

THIS ENTRY IS LESS THAN 2 YEARS OLD, YOUR RELATIVE TIME EXPERIENCE MAY BE DIFFERENT THOUGH, ESTIMATES ARE YOU HAVE EXPERIENCED AT LEAST 2,5 YEARS SINCE YOU MADE THE ENTRY.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1112&p=24597&hilit= ... air#p24597

---ICOM OFFLINE---

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:02 pm

:(

:|

:lol:

krulle
Ilwrath torturer

Post by krulle » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:47 pm

Ohman, I hated that automagic spoiler system of SC3.
And it never had hints when you were actually wanting one....

Sorry for reminding of the previously mentioned spoilers....

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:50 am

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Feb 18, 2158 – Starbase – Status: Docked

We made it back to base, that is, after reverting back time for some needless journeys and inadvertently causing the Utwig to mutilate themselves, but when we turned over the Ultron to have the Starbase’s scientists analyze it… it proved rather useless. They basically ran it through every conceivable test in the book, but still came up empty.

Commander Hayes even scolded me for bringing the hunk of junk on the Starbase in the first place, and he scoffed that utilizing the scientific resources to analyze the Ultron was a waste of time and effort. I was so dismayed that I even forgot to refuel the Vindicator! We were venturing past Jupiter when I realized my mistake. We turned the ship and fleet around and headed back.

We were almost back in drydock when I happened to stop by cargo bay. The Chief Engineer and Science Officer were fiddling with the Ultron, checking to see if any of our ship’s systems could bring it to life. They tried everything, including hooking it up to the warp drive, which only caused our engines to stall, and trying to tie it in to the weapon systems or shield grid resulted in a nasty overload.

We also tried seeing if any of the devices we have been gathering throughout our explorations would be compatible with the Ultron, but the Quasi Portal didn’t have anywhere to hook up with it, plus I doubt it would accomplish anything other than shorting out our precious portal, so I quickly nixed that notion within 5 seconds after consideration. The same applied with all 3 Mycon Egg Cases and the Taalo Shield reacted to the Ultron by glowing a deeper red during close proximity, but the Ultron itself remained unchanged.

The Umgah ’Caster hooked up okay to the Ultron, but the broadcaster was basically sent into a feedback loop, and the high-pitched static sounds was difficult to fight through as we desperately unhooked it, but it paled in comparison with our panic as the Sun Device emitted such a bright light that our chief engineer had to layer 3 pairs of sunglasses just to find the switch on the Sun Device to detach it. We also tried connecting the Ultron to the Talking Pet… and let’s just say that he was not amused and leave it at that.

I was just about to give up when I suddenly remembered the Clear Spindle the Pkunk had given us way back when, but it wasn’t being kept in ship’s storage anymore. I looked around but couldn’t find it, so I began inquiring the crew about its whereabouts, and somebody informed me that I could probably find it in the ship’s galley. Sure enough, it was there in the galley. Apparently, one of the head cooks found it convenient to place all the completed meal ticket orders on it by stabbing them through the center until they reached its base. It is, after all, a spindle!

I removed the paper receipts and brought it back to engineering. It easily screwed right into the top of the Ultron and made a “Woooo!” sound. Suddenly, the Ultron appears to have a bit of power, faint yet present, which is a massive improvement over its former dead slab.

I wonder if Commander Hayes will change his tune a little when he sees how the Ultron looks now! We will return to Starbase. Captain out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:14 am

Captain’s Log – Feb 19, 2158 – Sol (Near Neptune) – Status: Green

Commander Hayes has now officially been served the appropriate slice of ‘humble pie’ after he had the gall to laugh at what he had perceived as a useless scrap of metal. He had even commented that he would give us a ½ a resource unit for it if he could toss it in the elemental reconversion bin. I bet he’s glad I didn’t go for it now, because once we plugged in the Clear Spindle into the artifact it seems to have given the Ultron a small amount of power! Excellent.

Keeping that in mind, I remembered the Aqua Helix we have uh, er… “borrowed” from the Thraddash and I thought it might be functional with the Ultron as well, so I told the Starbase officials we needed to retrieve the Aqua Helix and see if it fits onto the Ultron, but they informed me that the Ultron had already been placed back in the ship’s hold.

I boarded the ship, but I couldn’t find the helix artifact right away, so I figured we could take a quick stroll through the system while we looked for it. And guess where I found it? Actually, I found it in my closet. I had forgotten how useful it served as a necktie rack!

Anyway, the Aqua Helix joined with the Ultron almost more easily than the Clear Spindle did, and when it did, the Ultron lit up even more and began to hum with a faint, soothing sound! Interesting.

We’d better turn this ship around and head back for base! Captain out.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:34 am

Captain’s Log – Feb 19, 2158 – Starbase – Status: Docked

Before we go over the next mission, I’d like to recount the 3 separate analyses of the Ultron, each time with a new additional piece being added to the artifact and the recorded results by the starbase’s scientists:

With 0 devices attached:

“The analysis reads as follows:
SUBJECT: Ultron Device
We put this thing through every test we’ve got, and
came up with the same results as if we’d used a
fork…
..nothing, zero, zip.
If this thing ever functioned – which we doubt – it
certainly won’t now.
Age and physical stress have long since robbed it of
whatever ‘mystical powers’ it might have once had.
SUMMARY: In the future, please don’t waste our
valuable time on junk like this so-called ‘Ultron.’
That’s the end of our scientists’ report.”

After Clear Spindle was attached:

SUBJECT: Ultron Device.
DATA: At first we thought this was a piece of junk –
in fact it may still be just that…
but when you submitted it to us, we infused it with
gamma radiation…
..and found that the scatter signature was identical
to the patterns…
..recorded from the ‘Empties’, the ‘Singing Hoops’,
and ‘the Big Dud’
which were all found in Precursor burrows on
Procyon.
SUMMARY: We are now convinced that this is a
Precursor tool, but it remains dysfunctional.

After Aqua Helix was attached:

SUBJECT: Ultron Device.
DATA: The Ultron is partially functional, and we can
detect energy emission from the device.
We suspect that the unit requires additional minor
repairs before achieving full functionality…
..and at this time, we cannot make an assessment of
its capabilities.
SUMMARY: A single additional replacement part should
Bring the Ultron to life.

As you can see, our most recent addition to the Ultron has almost completely restored its power! However, we’re still missing one additional part, but what could it possibly be?

I have ordered an emergency meeting where we will discuss any possibility and determine our next course of action needed to obtain the final piece of this Ultron puzzle! We must find the missing piece! But where? Captain out.

krulle
Ilwrath torturer

Post by krulle » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:24 am

So, you repaired the Ultron from the upper right corner of the map with the Clear Spindle from the lower left corner of the map and the Aqua Helix from the upper left corner of the map.
In which corner of the universe might the possibly last element be hiding?

Good luck with your travels, Captain!

Edited by Alvarin: spoiler tag.

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:16 pm

krulle wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:24 am
So, you repaired the Ultron from the upper right corner of the map with the Clear Spindle from the lower left corner of the map and the Aqua Helix from the upper left corner of the map.

In all these years I have actually never thought about it this way!!
Also, spoiler....
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

krulle
Ilwrath torturer

Post by krulle » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:08 am

Alvarin wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:16 pm
krulle wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:24 am

In all these years I have actually never thought about it this way!!
Also, spoiler....

krulle
Ilwrath torturer

Post by krulle » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:09 am

Iknow, spoilers.
But he already bought all the infos from the Melnorme, so he should know about it.... It's just a different way tolook at the map.... Of course it's in the centre, to throw you off....