About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

Post by Draxas » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:30 pm

I don't know if the "Kirk" you snuck in there was intentional or not anymore. :P-smf

krulle
Ilwrath spawn

Post by krulle » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:07 pm

He's living in the Dnyarri-induced alternative reality, where both persons are one merged personality.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:30 pm

Oops! Missed one! All fixed now! This of course was a slightly altered transcript from the Star Trek episode Space Seed.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:18 pm

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Dec 17, 2157 - Beta Orionis I (Umgah Homeworld) – Yellow Alert

I’d be lying if I said that the Umgah didn’t give us any further trouble when we reset via the time portal and tried again, but those brainwashed little blobbies gave the Vindicator some fits, and I was forced to time travel too many times to count before we finally emerged victorious… with zero losses I might add, which of course is the whole reason for the battle repeats.

However, one benefit was I was able to repeat the aftermath of conversations a few more times (that is, the times we took damage and I didn’t restart immediately out of sheer frustration) which also gave me the opportunity to again try and squish the offensive creature, to no avail of course.

During one of these conversations (including the last one) he recounted the events from his perspective. He spoke briefly of their battle and crash landing on a nearby planet and also recalled how the Arilou saved him and took him through “green space” (obviously referring to QuasiSpace) back to their homeworld. They tried to heal him, but later decided to take him to the Umgah. He remembers the blob creatures poking and prodding at his body (while laughing of course) and then they must’ve accidentally triggered something in his genetic code, because the next thing he knew he was truly sentient once again, with all of his faculties, including a giant hunger for revenge against the Ur-Quan.

He also went on to tell his own version of ancient history involving the Dnyarri and the Sentient Milieu, in which he claimed the knowledge of his ancestors is automatically imbedded in his brain from birth and therefore cannot be forgotten. He told us that the Ur-Quan have always been running battle thralls and slave ships, but they used to call themselves the Sentient Milieu only as a guise, and the worst of them were the Taalo, who if I’m going by his description are shaped like large boulders and would roll over the Dnyarri’s children to amuse themselves.

The war against the Milieu continued and millions of Dnyarri were killed, but things took a turn for the worst once the Taalo invented a psychic shield device to protect themselves against the Dnyarri’s self-proclaimed “weak” psychic powers. Once the Dnyarri were finally defeated, the Ur-Quan lobotomized their brains and altered their genetic code, and the Dnyarri became the mindless Talking Pets we see on every Ur-Quan ship. And now after hearing his version of things… I believe him! I don’t know why B, but I do! (Just joking of course!)

We have downgraded our status from Red to Yellow alert, having moments ago witnessing the previously mentally-controlled Umgah ships, who have just begun to drift back to their normal flight patterns, and are not seemingly attracted to our presence, at least for the meantime, even though we are clearly in visual range. They’re probably still coming out of their dream-like manipulated states wondering what the heck just happened! Now I’m left with wondering what I should do next. Hmmm… Captain out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

krulle
Ilwrath spawn

Post by krulle » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:43 pm

Now that the Dnyarri is safely aboard your ship, why not ask the Umgah for their side of the story?
You have the Arilou, and the Dnyarri side.,.

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:19 am

krulle wrote:Now that the Dnyarri is safely aboard your ship, why not ask the Umgah for their side of the story?
You have the Arilou, and the Dnyarri side.,.
It was aaaaaall a big joke.
Har. Har. Har.
We remote-control talking pet into believing it psychic. Pretended all mind-control. Should see your face.
Captain can turn off Taalo shield now.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

krulle
Ilwrath spawn

Post by krulle » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:45 am

Yeah. That sounds like them.
Can't remember if that really happened though...
May be influence amnesia....

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:34 pm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Dec 17, 2157 - Beta Orionis I (Umgah Homeworld) – Yellow Alert

I decided to go down to the cargo bay area and talk with our Dnyarri guest, who doesn’t actually have a name, so I’ve decided to call him Danny. Yeah, Danny the Dnyarri… or should it be Tim the Talking Pet? No, Danny is much better.

Anyway, as soon as I opened the hatch and entered his lodging, Danny immediately tried to convince me to remove the Taalo device, complaining that it was giving him horrible headaches, but then he suddenly turned on me and tried to gain control of my mind, but fortunately, once again the Taalo Shield protected me.

I tried to get him to tell me more about his mental powers, but he refused, and when I continued to pressure him to talk, he used his powers again, but this time he briefly gained control of my mind long enough to get me to walk away, with only visions of daffodils and azaleas floating around in my head! Not fun! Now Danny’s not the only one with a headache!

I’ve checked in on him from time to time, but he has continued to complain often, asking for things like pillows, blankets, better food choices and perhaps some spare crew members for him to toy with, along with asking for the endless music track to cease before he goes crazy, which reminds me, I “accidentally” switched the music track in engineering to the Pkunk soundtrack on an infinite loop! Whoops! He he he!

He’s certainly been getting bored, because one time I popped in on him and he was sitting there, listening to the echo of his own voice, loudly proclaiming he is (or shall soon become) the “Master of the Universe”. Also, due to his isolation and growing apathy, he’s been listening in on the crew’s thoughts and conversations, and he even informed me that he has learned a couple of crew members would like to reproduce with me, but after I informed the crew (with the exception of ensigns Holiday and Watchuki; I’ll wait to see how our respective dinner date nights goes first) about his new hobby, so they could tell when their minds were being probed, and then they’d respond by envisioning brutal and painful ways in which to kill him, and after our most recent visits to the Thraddash, some of those manners of death were as inventive as they were disturbing, which has successfully brought his escapades to a halt. I’ve since dropped off a few action figures like He-Man and Skeletor for our resident Dnyarri… he can play with those to help pass the time. “I’ll get you next time, He-Man!”

He’s also offered a few helpful tips and suggestions here and there, even though I’m confident I’ve accomplished most of those tasks he’s named, which includes building up a strong ship and fleet, exploring space and gathering information while forging allies with different aliens, plus finding out what the Ur-Quan are up to and who they’re fighting, which we understand to be the Kohr-Ah, and they are fighting each other for the right to determine which fate will be bestowed upon the rest of alien civilizations in the region, whether that be slavery or genocide, and we also need to find the Ur-Quan weak spot and then obtain whatever’s necessary to exploit it, both of which we haven’t accomplished as of yet, but we’re working towards those goals, since we believe the only surefire way to achieve victory will be to take down the Sa-Matra, which he claims was in previous possession of them, and as he recalls, was much, much bigger than ours. Finally, when we’re ready to take the Ur-Quan down, Danny suggests we use him to help distract the Ur-Quan while we deliver the final blow… hopefully.

I asked about their history, but I received an undoubtedly fabricated version, similar to the tall tale stories it had previously told us. He told us it all happened around 20,000 years ago, back when the Dnyarri species were all happy on their homeworld until the Sentient Milieu arrived and conquered them, killing many and converting the others and their future generations of offspring into mindless slaves to serve as translators onboard their vessels.

However, like I’ve stated before, there’s always some truth within these lies, because I do believe the Dnyarri were mostly content, stuck on their own planet and living out their meager lives in their society by producing and gathering food, but going off of the Dnyarri’s description, their social caste was probably predicated on each individual’s mental prowess, whereas the most psychically strong individuals could compel those less powerful, and would therefore acquire the most spoils, those being power, wealth and choice of preferred mates. What would a hot, sexy Dnyarri look like? Never mind, I really don’t want to know!

Furthermore, if I’m piecing some of this together correctly, I could also speculate that it also seems that the Dnyarri were most likely limited to the confines of their homeworld, since they don’t really appear to have the necessary capabilities of developing space-faring technology on their own, that is to say, without others to compel to perform the task for them, and by all historical accounts they didn’t begin their slave empire until the Ur-Quan first landed on their planet, which is strange, considering they claimed to have discovered and had in their possession a massive Precursor battleship, but I’m betting it was really originally found by members of the Sentient Milieu, and it wasn’t until after the Milieu hade undergone subsequent mental possession that the Sa-Matra was then captured by the Dnyarri.

Other than revealing these tidbits of erroneous or otherwise uncorroborated information, Danny hasn’t been very cooperative. Just for grins, I even tested him to see if he would compel a nearby Umgah ship to self-destruct, but he wouldn’t do it. Awww! Come on! I think the Umgah would probably appreciate a good prank like that! Oh well, we’ll go ahead and see how those dazed blob guys are doing.

We will lay in an intercept course for the nearest Umgah. We are going to Red Alert. Captain out.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:32 pm

Captain’s Log – Dec 18, 2157 – Beta Orionis I – Red Alert

To recap, let’s just say that a lot has happened within the past several days, we’ve had to figure out something was wrong with the Umgah, since they were talking all monotone and being unfunny, plus the real tip-off was they were content into letting us leave without attacking us, so once we figured that out we went to the Umgah homeworld where we were greeted by a Talking Pet who was functioning under its own power, which was definitely a red flag for immediate suspicion (that… and all those zombie blobs floating around!) but when we confronted him, he tried to use his mental powers to compel us, but our Taalo Shield protected us from his psychic energies, so then he sent in 10 Drone ships to attack us, which we destroyed, and then when we went back, we made a deal with the Dnyarri creature, in which he promised to use his psychic powers to distract the Ur-Quan when the time comes for us to attack the Sa-Matra, once we find something powerful enough to blow it up, and in the meantime we’ll just have to hope our Taalo Shield device will continue to hold him in check.

After we had brought the creepy little guy onboard, I tried to drill him for any information he could give us, which didn’t always go as planned (since I distinctly recall coming out of trances on more than one occasion following some of our discussions) but I was able to get some interesting insights and some sound advice, even if the foul thing did try to take over my ship in the process a few times.

But it wasn’t over there, which brings us to today… Once we had resumed course, I thought we’d check up on the Umgah, and there were plenty of Drone ships flying about the system for us to choose from, so we flagged a nearby patrol down and made contact, and they urged us repeatedly to fly to their homeworld with due haste, so we could receive our reward for saving them from the relentless mental compulsions of the nefarious Dnyarri.

We were already close to their home planet, so shortly thereafter we arrived and were greeted with loud outcries of “HAIL! HAIL! HAIL!” from all Umgah, which could be heard echoing throughout the ship with their loud voices booming in unison.

Then they declared that they must reward me for my heroic deeds, but as they went down the list, they couldn’t figure out what I’d like best, until they considered making genetic modifications, like giving me additional eyes, arms, tentacles, or perhaps an extra stomach or two (in truth, I could probably do fine with a new liver!) but I wasn’t about to go for that offer, so they were saddened, stating that the only other thing they had was just plain old, raw biological data, and as soon as I heard that I quickly interjected that loads of bio-data would be fantastic, so they obliged, giving us 500 units even though they felt it was an underpayment for their “Great Hero”.

We asked what had happened with the whole Talking Pet taking over everything episode, and they explained that they had treated the creature’s injuries, but when they started fiddling with its brain makeup and genetic structure, it was awakened and took hold of the surrounding area, followed by the city, and then the entire planet was under control by its powerful mind, and it was beginning to formulate and carry out its “Big Plan”, which we can safely assume involves the demise of the Ur-Quan.

We asked them to reveal any special secrets they may have, but at first they acted as if we had crossed the line and offended them, and they were about to attack us, but then they said they were only joking, and proceeded to tell us about one time a good while back they had murdered a Mycon and performed a genetic breakdown autopsy of their DNA structure, since they were interested in how the Mycon can manipulate their own genetic code with mere thought, and had determined that the Mycon could not possibly be a naturally developed species, but rather they must be constructs!… Tools created for some special purpose, but what? This means they were created by some other alien race. But who? And why? Could their origins be similar to those conjectured concerning the Mmnrmhrm, as if they were designed to function as terraformers for some alien race that will arrive some time later? But who wants to live on lava worlds? And why do they talk like that then, and why did they willingly join the Hierarchy? This creates far more questions than answers. Puzzling.

Then things got a little… well, wacky! We thought we would have an easy time seeing ourselves out, but the Umgah suddenly decided that constantly prostrating themselves before us and crying “HAIL! HAIL!” all the time had grown old and boring, so they decided instead of being their great hero, we would now be considered their “Great Enemy”! What?! Well, that’s Umgah gratitude for you! To top off the weirdness, they’ve even given us an Umgah Drone of our own! This is pure whack craziness! We only had one ship slot available in our fleet, but I’m wondering how many more they would’ve given us had we had more slots available? Curious.

Well, as I ponder those very interesting and pressing question, I’ll also at the same time ponder what to do about the endless fleet of Umgah home planet guardian Drones that are heading our way! Yikes! We are going to Battle Stations! Captain out.

krulle
Ilwrath spawn

Post by krulle » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:28 am

Now, ain't that the joke?
To prevent the Great Hero from doing something that might tarnish his legacy, let's cremate him right now.
And to make the fight fair, let's give him a Drone.
Har Har Har!