Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:45 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125  Next
 Post subject: Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:00 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Oct 20, 2157 – Delta Draconis (Near Planet 1) – Yellow Alert

We’ve battled the Thraddash quite often, but it seems we’ve ran out of Torches to blast within this system, other than those around their homeworld.

Our first battle was against 3 torches, and as soon as that skirmish was finished, a long line of every patrol in the system surrounded us and moved in to attack. We took care of each contingent with no trouble: the 2nd group had 4 ships, followed by a pair, then a large group of 5, and lastly, another pair, for a grand total of 16 kills.

Even with the numerous waves that kept confronting us, it still wasn’t much of a battle; it could be more accurately compared to the space equivalent of “skeet shooting”, whereas the Thraddash were like clay pigeons getting blasted by our Hellbore shotguns! PULL!

After the last set of torches, we waited around for a while, but it seemed we had destroyed all available Thraddash vessels, at least all of the patrols that were deployed within the system, so we headed to the homeworld to fight some more.

However, when we arrived in orbit, a massive wall of torches was there to greet us, and their guard leader, who called himself Korgk the battle-slave foreman, informed us that it is considered utterly stupid for us to attempt attacks on their home planet, and therefore any kills we achieved there would not “count” towards our tally. Hmmm… so the Thraddash are keeping track of how many of their ships we destroy, huh? Interesting.

We went back a few more times to see what else they had to say, and after destroying a single torch each time, we used the emergency warp to escape and then return, but there wasn’t much to learn, other than knowledge of their space battle computer, the ZK-53, which calculated we had an estimated 1.6% chance of eliminating their entire fleet. I think the chances are actually much less, considering we would probably die from sheer boredom! Plus I would feel bad about killing so many of them for no good reason!

We will set course for Alpha Apodis. Captain out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:19 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Captain’s Log – Nov 5, 2157 – Alpha Apodis – Status: Green

We left Delta Draconis, but we were barely outside the system when we were ambushed by 2 Torches. Well, ‘ambush’ may be too strong of a word, since 2 light presses on the fire button rendered a cloud of dust where 2 Thraddash vessels had previously occupied space, and we continued to Alpha Apodis.

Unfortunately, when we found the Melnorme, we didn’t have the scan record for the rainbow world in Epsilon Draconis. I had completely forgotten in all of the time travel jumble that we hadn’t been there yet in the current timeline! Master Turquoiseish or whatever his name was wouldn’t even take my word for it! Grrrr! It’s there! I promise!

Anyway, so we headed out for Epsilon Draconis and avoided a Thraddash patrol as we left the system, but somewhere while travelling between the Alpha and Delta Draconis stars, we were joined by an additional contingent on our trail.

We arrived at Epsilon Draconis a few days later (10/30/57) and headed for the innermost planet at top speed, and scanners detected no Thraddash ships in the vicinity. We scanned the planet (no need for mineral gathering) and set reverse course back to Alpha Apodis.

The group pair was still waiting for us outside the system, and we quickly blasted our way past a squadron of 4 torches (after the usual dialogue formalities, of course) and managed to dodge the 2nd group as our auto-pilot fully engaged before they could enter weapons’ range and we made it back to Alpha Apodis without further incident

I don’t know how important it is to have the information of the rainbow whereabouts sold to the Melnorme, but it could possibly help ascertain the locations of additional rainbow worlds, as possibly determining their dispersal pattern, because perhaps selling the Melnorme their locations will trigger other aliens to reveal more information on more of their potential locations, since the Melnorme may share additional information with other aliens and uncover more facts and truths somewhere down the way. That’s what I keep telling myself anyway, since this trip back and forth through Draco seems rather unproductive.

We have just finished selling the Melnorme the rainbow coordinates (and refueled too) and we can now set course for Zeta Draconis, since I’d like to see how they treat their precious object when they’re not so distracted by warmongering spiders or trying to impress caterpillars. Captain out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:46 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Captain’s Log – Nov 9, 2157 – Zeta Draconis (Near Planet 1) – Red Alert

We arrived in the Zeta Draconis System, after destroying another Thraddash vessel in HyperSpace; an overzealous lone torch that thought it could take us on and was of course… sorely mistaken. +1 to the Thraddash tally.

Upon system entry, we discovered quite a few Thraddash patrol groups around a bunch of planets, with a few that drifted in and out from neighboring worlds, but we set a direct course between their orbital maneuvers to avoid detection as we made our way towards the innermost planet, but before we could enter close-range of it, one of the squadrons noticed us and gave chase with all of the others converging as well.

Fortunately, we managed to dodge all their units and made it to our destination. Unfortunately, as soon we tried to enter orbit, we were greeted by a wall of Thraddash ships. Oh! So, they actually DO guard their Aqua Helix after all! Hmph!

We hailed the lead ship, and their commander abruptly announced that this was Thraddash-controlled space, plus he also added there was nothing valuable here. Good ploy, these Thraddash guys are masters of misdirection, in the same way I’m a master of sarcasm!

Even though I already know what they’re doing here, I asked them what they’re doing here, but they started getting angry and demanded that we leave at once. Realizing that they were losing patience, I discontinued that line of inquiry, but instead chose to go the curious route, asking them why this planet was so special to them, and at first, they were reluctant to reveal the truth, but another gentle nudging, placating to their unusual “teddy bear” side of reasoning, then they finally revealed (with a big build-up to the big reveal) that this planet actually holds the… wait for it… the AQUA HELIX! Wow, who’d’ve thunk it?

Given the choices of making ultimatums to land, giving up and leaving, or tricking them into allowing us to land, so I chose the ladder. No, not the latter… the Ladder! I told them that I had visited their sacred world before on a special tour and accidentally left my ladder behind on the surface, so I asked if I could go back for it. At first, it seemed like it was going to work, but they suddenly realized the rouse and attacked us! Darn! So close, but no cigar! Well, except for the half-burnt one we found in their torch’s twisted wreckage!

We returned and tried again, this time using the making demands technique, but that of course proved to only agitate them, and they attacked. We also wanted to see what would happen if we offered to leave, and then they said they wouldn’t attack if we left right away, but then they attacked us right away anyway.

Speaking of which, our repeated attempts at reaching the planet has allowed enough time for the rest of the Thraddash to close in on our position. Oh well. Looks like it’s time for more target practice! Battle Stations! Captain out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:53 pm 
Ilwrath spawn

Mining has become irrelevant, when the Thraddash throw their whole fleet at you....
But I always found it satisfying, to hear Cmdr. Hayes talk about the mother lode....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:13 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

krulle wrote:
Mining has become irrelevant, when the Thraddash throw their whole fleet at you....
But I always found it satisfying, to hear Cmdr. Hayes talk about the mother lode....

Heaven knows I’ve heard the mother-lode speech on several occasions, as well as the “more fuel for the fire, eh?” one too. Even with the massive supply of RUs that I’ll probably never go through even if I tried, I still get the impression that Commander Hayes is disappointed when I return with just a handful of minerals:

Commander Hayes: “I don't mean to criticize, Captain, but it would be more efficient if you could return with larger loads.”

Me: “Yeah, about that… you can shove it, Commander!” :P-smf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:24 pm 
Ilwrath spawn

Well, if necessary he would just use your RUs and build a tremendous fleet of Scouts and Cruisers, and see if that would make a dent in the punishing fleet of Ur-Quan Dreadnoughts he's expecting to come the moment you fail somewhere.... So he needs you to deliver a hoard of ressources to him, so he can start manufacturing without you noticing that a load of ressources has been reallocated to the Starbase's (and thus Earth's) defence...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:28 pm 
Yehat Revolutionist

krulle wrote:
Well, if necessary he would just use your RUs and build a tremendous fleet of Scouts and Cruisers, and see if that would make a dent in the punishing fleet of Ur-Quan Dreadnoughts he's expecting to come the moment you fail somewhere.... So he needs you to deliver a hoard of ressources to him, so he can start manufacturing without you noticing that a load of ressources has been reallocated to the Starbase's (and thus Earth's) defence...

Oh! So that's where all my RUs have been going.
Hayes, me and you are going to have a little chat...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:15 pm 
Ilwrath spawn

Cmdr. Hayes wrote:
Captain Troglodyte,
I have been indicating to you what we do with unused RU, remember me saying:
"I'd say we have quite a nasty little surprise in store for the Ur-Quan the next time you tangle with them."?

Furthermore, as you know our fabricators can reconvert materials into ressources, lossless.
Therefore, as long as the Ur-Quan do not attack, and we have no losses, the ressources are fully there.
Also, with the inflow of Shofixti, who currently have no other place to go to, we needed more room, so we produced a lot of ships, so they can move around and have a place to live, besides the empty moon base.

Please understand that this allows us a certain amount of leeway, and preparation, while at the same time being able to deliver you with everything we need.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:42 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Cmdr. Hayes wrote:
Captain Troglodyte,
I have been indicating to you what we do with unused RU, remember me saying:
"I'd say we have quite a nasty little surprise in store for the Ur-Quan the next time you tangle with them."?

Furthermore, as you know our fabricators can reconvert materials into ressources, lossless.
Therefore, as long as the Ur-Quan do not attack, and we have no losses, the ressources are fully there.
Also, with the inflow of Shofixti, who currently have no other place to go to, we needed more room, so we produced a lot of ships, so they can move around and have a place to live, besides the empty moon base.

Please understand that this allows us a certain amount of leeway, and preparation, while at the same time being able to deliver you with everything we need.

That seems sensible enough, but that doesn’t mean you have the right to ridicule my lack of minerals! It’s always the same old “Light load this time, eh Captain?” Did you not see the gigantic net being drug behind my ship completely filled with the wreckage of Thraddash ships? And don’t give me the ‘innocent lives lost’ routine, you never ever thanked me for even one single scrap of probe debris I brought back! Face it, Commander! All you care about is your stupid minerals! :x

(Meanwhile… somehow…)
Captain’s Log – Nov 9, 2157 – Zeta Draconis – Status: Green

We couldn’t escape the outer edge of the Aqua Helix world before more Thraddash ships were right on top of us, so we easily blasted our way through 4 ships blocking our path and we headed for the edge of the system with the rest of the Thraddash fleet in a long line behind us.

But I felt tired from all of the running, so falling back on those words spoken by the Melnorme about destroying most but not all the Thraddash will make them your friends, I suddenly started thinking about the G’nunk.

Unlike the Thraddash, the G’nunk are a fictional alien race from a computer game I used to play on Unzervalt in my childhood, but they still share a few similarities. The G’nunk, just like the Thraddash, are very hostile, but they are composed of not one but several races like slug-like creatures and intelligent robots, among others; all unified into one conglomerate race. Come to think of it, they’re kind of like the Zoq-Fot-Pik, except substitute the ZFP’s humor and pleasant quirks with ruthless, warlike behavior.

The G’nunk use a shield nullifying device which makes battling their ships much more dangerous, plus their ships travel in large groups and are armed with powerful missiles launchers. However, if you destroy enough of them, they will eventually gain some respect and begin communicating with you, just as long as you continue to demonstrate your strength, whereas any sign of weakness on your part means weapons firing shall recommence.

Not dissimilar to the Thraddash, the G’nunk’s belief system is based on the ideology of survival of the fittest, and even their own home planet is in constant upheaval (just imagine a world with like class 8 everything!) but they don’t resent their tough way of home life, in fact they cherish their homeworld, saying “their mother” imposes harsh conditions on them to force them to grow, withstand, adapt and persevere. In this context, I think by comparison the Thraddash would be considered in the earlier stages of G’nunk-type evolution, since even though the G’nunk fight amongst themselves often, they’ve grown to the point where they no longer need to overhaul their own culture and wipe the slate clean each time dominant hands change and start all over.

If you impress the G’nunk enough, they even offer to send over one of their crew members, along with a shield nullifying device, provided you have enough cobalt on hand to activate it. However, as long as the G’nunk is on your crew, you must keep up the appearance of tough space bully, so, for example, if you start acting friendly with the Humna Humna so you can purchase one of their trade route maps, the next time it avails itself, the G’nunk abandons ship and deserts you, rendering the shield nullifier useless, since it takes a G’nunk onboard to operate it. And don’t even think about taking an obsequious posture, lest you find yourself cleaning up G’nunk brains from the bridge walls after he commits suicide right there on the spot! Yowzers!

Which brings us right back to the Thraddash situation, so, as I was saying, we approached the edge of the system, but I ordered us to stop and about-face and make our stand. Worst case scenario: We get a bunch of extra RUs, so whatever. We raised shields and charged up the cannons as the big wave of Torches approached, but when we hailed them, they were humbled, extoling our battle greatness, saying they were wrong and we really are a superior fighting force and are even better than the Ur-Quan! Don’t you see?… I applied the G’nunk principle and it worked: If someone is too hostile and refuses to get along, blow up enough of them and maybe they’ll reconsider! Well, plus the Melnorme basically told us that too.

And guess what? They now want me to become their “Great Teacher” and guide the direction of their new culture! They want me to dictate how they should act, how they should greet people, and what their new culture should be called. Hmmm… interesting.

“We do not merely destroy our enemies; we change them.”
― George Orwell, 1984

I will now place a time portal junction point as I consider these possibilities. Zelnick out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:01 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Captain’s Log – Nov 10, 2157 – Zeta Draconis – Status: Green

I really don’t think I’m getting through to the Thraddash. At first, when they approached me about personally instructing them on which direction their culture and lifestyle should proceed henceforth, I figured “piece of cake!” but it has been anything but, although fruit cakes have come up on more than one occasion. Yeah, I’ll get to that momentarily.

The Thraddash wanted us to tell them how to greet ships they encounter in space, and what their core values should include as they start a new way of life, and also what they should call themselves, but I’ve had to use the time portal many times to avert disaster.

The Vindicator’s translation computer was presenting us with some unusual options, but as my eyes skimmed along the choices listed, I presumed that it would make the most sense to suggest the Thraddash to be as polite and friendly as possible, and their lifestyle should reflect that position, too. I also told them they should choose their own new name for themselves, and after a long strain of their brains they finally came up with… wait for it… (drumroll please)… Culture Twenty! Figures.

Unfortunately, when we returned a little later to check up on their progress, we discovered that things haven’t exactly gone in the direction I had predicted. For starters, I had told them they should smile more when presenting themselves, but unbeknownst to me, the Thraddash don’t have the necessary mouth muscles to flex and shape into a proper smile, so their solution was to stab prosthetic beams inside their mouths to position them as such. Ouch!… and not a pretty sight, let me tell you.

On top of that, they are indeed coming across as friendly and greeting others in an amicable fashion, but only to lull visitors into a false sense of security, and then they pounce on them! Hey, that’s not nice! The changes have even extended to their homeworld, where they’ve attempted, by my recommendation, to be more neighborly by exchanging gifts with one another, like fruit cakes, for example. Well, they don’t like fruit cakes very much, but they noticed they are particularly dense, so they still exchange them, but instead in the form of projectiles being catapulted at each other! Yikes!

Not looking fondly at those results, I reverted back and tried my hand at some unconventionality, as it were, since for some reason our curious Precursor translation computer was offering some peculiar choices as having good potential, but having the Thraddash speak pig Latin kept my communications officer busy up all night transliterating their responses, since I have great difficulty when reviewing my logs trying to determine precisely what these guys are saying to me.

Going the philosophical way of life with along with a dose of poetic rhyming wasn’t all bad, and quite humorous at times, especially in the beginning, when they were struggling to create even the most simple of impromptu rhymes. They got better at writing poems and their specialty is limericks, even though they sometimes have a distasteful representation of their love for violence. However, the more things went along with their endeavors into the depths of quiet contemplation, an unusual illness began spreading through their ranks. Our chief medical officer was perplexed, and diagnosed the Thraddash with some kind of weird syndrome that caused the Thraddash to break out in spots, and the direct cause was from a chemical in their brain that gets released through their body whenever they try to concentrate on any given notion for too long. Oh well, we also discovered their entire goal for self-reflection was to further their learning and knowledge of various ways to go about conquering other civilizations. Sheesh.

We gave it another go, and this time we told them they needed to act more crazy and wacky and call themselves ‘The Fat Obstreperous Jerks’, but the Thraddash didn’t mind the new name, claiming it was so ridiculous, so utterly preposterous, it would fool their enemies into believing that they’re benign, giving them an opening to attack.

I instructed my officers to send over plenty of comedic videos, including the Marx Brothers and Monty Python. Unfortunately, they also included the complete works of The Three Stooges, and let’s just say the results went well beyond wacky. At first, it was just simple pranks being pulled on each other, resulting in retaliatory violence… and any nearby penguins suffered the consequences. Guess you had to be there.

But as time went on, F.O.J. society quickly descended into chaos and became an unpredictable land of torment and dangerous hijinks, ranging from a simple bludgeoning of wood planks or leaving garden rakes and shovels tossed down every alley for the unwary to whack themselves in the face, to prank phone calls asking if their refrigerator is running, and now fake (and real) excrements of animals are now visible in just about every public place (sometimes on fire) and you can’t go through any door before checking it for a bucket of pig blood precariously perched overhead, or the constant knocking of doors and running away, but not before tossing concussive grenades into the targeted home or shop (or through the window when the victim refuses to answer) and then there’s the whoopy cushions placed in random chairs, filled with noxious gases, the acid squirting flowers melting through skin, hand buzzers that send thousands of volts to their victims, firecrackers shoved down pants followed by an atomic wedgie (and unfortunately, I mean that literally) and the list goes on and on… Needless to say, it was a complete disaster.

Finally, after going through all the other options with no success, I told them to act like us and greet people the way we do, and they could name themselves whatever they like (ok, ok… so at first I told them to they would be called “The Slave Empire of Zelnick” but then I reconsidered; I just wanted to hear them say it!)

They took our meaning to be that when talking with other races, they should take whatever posture, whether that be hostile or humble, to produce the best results. They will never take risks and focus on building up their forces slowly but surely, until they can wipe out their enemies entirely, and until then, they will drive them crazy by pelting them with an unending series of questions, and when all else fails, threaten them with death! And then fix any mistakes made with a time machine. Ok, that’s going a little too far! I take risks!… well, sometimes.

Anyway, even though this method hasn’t revealed the most perfect of results, considering they will undoubtedly try to keep up our style of formalities, but when push comes to shove, the Thraddash will most likely still end up attacking just about anybody who crosses their path, but at least this way they’ll have a little more of a polite way of going about it. Baby steps, people. Plus, their new style has also proven to reveal better responses when communicating with them, including some useful information, such as this latest transmission:

Captain Grah, commanding the starship Hot Pulsing Thrusters – “Things are proceeding well, Captain. We have discovered one item which may interest you. There is an unusual world orbiting Epsilon Draconis, in close solar orbit. Though it radiates energies which scramble our sensors we can detect many radioactive substances on the surface. We suspect that this is one of the so-called ‘Precursor Dumps’ described in some ancient text fragments we found in Alpha Apodis. The text goes on to say that these Dumps are in some kind of pattern though what the pattern may be remains a mystery. For now, that is all.”

We still haven’t been able to figure out the pattern, and they also shared with us how a while back they had sent a long-range scout team to the Lynx Constellation and discovered a vicious beast that nearly slaughtered their entire crew, but of course I knew immediately they were referring to the green ‘devil head’-looking monster we eventually captured on Delta Lyncis I. I wonder whatever happened to that thing? Last time we saw it, it had taken over Admiral ZEX’s flagship around Alpha Cerenkov I, and was still gnawing on VUX crew members when we departed from there after retrieving the Shofixti Maidens.

Well, with that out of the way, and since the “Great Teacher” has spoken the words of wisdom bestowed upon the Thraddash to help in enriching their vibrant culture, now maybe we will have easy access to their prized Aqua Helix, simply because I say so! After all, I’m the Great Teacher, aren’t I? We will set course for Zeta Draconis I. Zelnick out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125  Next