About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

Post by Draxas » Sat May 26, 2018 3:11 am

Going to check out the Ilwrath homeworld next? After all, there's no way anything bad could have happened that far away, right?

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue May 29, 2018 3:44 pm

Draxas wrote:Going to check out the Ilwrath homeworld next? After all, there's no way anything bad could have happened that far away, right?
Well, since you’re mentioning it there must not really be anything of substance there for me to find, otherwise you probably would’ve considered it too spoilery to reveal…

…However, knowing that I would think that, maybe you went ahead and mentioned it anyway, already knowing that I would come to that same conclusion in my head, but in fact there really IS something very important for me to discover in Alpha Tauri! But…

…Knowing that I know that you know that I know, then you mentioned it, knowing full well there really isn’t anything there!…

…Ah ha! But knowing that I know that you know that I know that you know… Oh, forget it! I’d better just go there and see for myself!

(Meanwhile…)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Jul 21, 2158 – Alpha Tauri I – Status: Green

We left Delta Draconis after discovering that all of the Thraddash had been eliminated, possibly to the point of downright total extinction! Even the Ilwrath are no more as well, which leads me to believe that somehow, someway, the very last ship of the Thraddash met up with the final Ilwrath vessel and they duked it out, and the last Torch must’ve unleashed a long trail of afterburner plasma that the Ilwrath collided with and erupted, but not before they had dealt the final blow with their flame nozzle; a simultaneous and quite believable death blow to both races -- a duo final flame scenario if you will. And yes, I was being facetious… this is all very UN-believable! …and puzzling.

Upon departing the system, we used the Quasi Portal to bring us into Q-Space, and we set course for the nearest portal, which brought us to the western side of former Ilwrath space and we headed for Alpha Tauri.

We’ve arrived in orbit of Alpha Tauri 1, only to find the identical levels of death and destruction that we had discovered back in Delta Draconis. Hey! Wait a second! Before we had ventured out to the Draco region, I remember specifically going to the Ilwrath homeworld, and there had been a guardian force of seemingly endless Ilwrath Avengers left behind at their homeworld as the rest of them took the lengthy journey to hunt down the Thraddash in the names of their gods, Dogar and Kazon. Hmmm… I guess the Thraddash could’ve sent a counterstrike fleet of their own to return the favor and destroy the spider’s homeworld too.

We will return to Starbase. Captain out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Damn you Draxas! :lol:)
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

krulle
Reborn Shofixti

Post by krulle » Tue May 29, 2018 4:56 pm

It was always a conundrum to me how the two races achieved that...

But then, the Ilwrath may have celebrated their successful offerings by ripping a tad too many appendages from their body....

What do the Kzer-Za have to say about their battle thralls disobeying and fighting amongst each other?
Back when I never had an opportunity to inform them about it, but I also only tried while the two were still at it...

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Tue May 29, 2018 8:25 pm

Personally, I figured the Ilwrath managed to burn the Thraddash homeworld, but then got their last fleet bits destroyed by the Thraddash's remains. The Thraddash, in a fit of revenge lust, sent their remaining bits to burn down the Ilwrath homeworld. Although their fleet was destroyed in the process, they did manage to nuke the Ilwrath's remains to pieces in the process. Mutually assured destruction at its finest.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

krulle
Reborn Shofixti

Post by krulle » Tue May 29, 2018 9:01 pm

I always tried imagining the last, male-only Thraddash ship afterburning through HyperSpace to find the Ilwrath home system and burn it down. In my case that would've been the sole task of Culture 21...

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Tue May 29, 2018 11:08 pm

The Troglodyte wrote: Well, since you’re mentioning it there must not really be anything of substance there for me to find, otherwise you probably would’ve considered it too spoilery to reveal…

…However, knowing that I would think that, maybe you went ahead and mentioned it anyway, already knowing that I would come to that same conclusion in my head, but in fact there really IS something very important for me to discover in Alpha Tauri! But…

…Knowing that I know that you know that I know, then you mentioned it, knowing full well there really isn’t anything there!…

…Ah ha! But knowing that I know that you know that I know that you know… Oh, forget it! I’d better just go there and see for myself!
You didn't realize that both cups were poisoned. :lol:

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed May 30, 2018 5:03 pm

krulle wrote: What do the Kzer-Za have to say about their battle thralls disobeying and fighting amongst each other?
Back when I never had an opportunity to inform them about it, but I also only tried while the two were still at it...
Well, considering that many things have happened to most of their other thralls, like the Spathi encasing their own homeworld Spathiwa in a self-produced slave shield, the Mycon’s SOI is less than half of what it used to be after their fleet was decimated by the Syreen, and the Yehat, yet another battle thrall, is in the middle of a civil war, all of which have been completely ignored by the Ur-Quan, so I’m thinking that the Ilwrath and Thraddash destroying each other into oblivion is no big deal…

…Wait! Why is the navigator setting course for Ur-Quan space? Helm, stop that! I’m giving you an order! Must…not…go…on… wild goose chases!
Quasispatial wrote:Personally, I figured the Ilwrath managed to burn the Thraddash homeworld, but then got their last fleet bits destroyed by the Thraddash's remains. The Thraddash, in a fit of revenge lust, sent their remaining bits to burn down the Ilwrath homeworld. Although their fleet was destroyed in the process, they did manage to nuke the Ilwrath's remains to pieces in the process. Mutually assured destruction at its finest.
A nice overview of the transpired events! It kind of reminds me of when that big computer named Joshua took control over the nuclear launch controls and almost caused the US & USSR to wipe each other out!

Joshua – “Wouldn’t you prefer a good game of chess?”
David – “Later. Let’s play Global Thermonuclear War.”
Joshua – “Fine.”
Death 999 wrote:You didn't realize that both cups were poisoned. :lol:

(Meanwhile…)
Captain’s Log – Sep 10, 2158 – Starbase – Status: Docked

Another knot becomes untied. I’ve already decided that it will be necessary in order to save both the Thraddash and Ilwrath races from outright killing each other, I will have to use the time portal to place us back to Alpha Tauri or before then to not commit to the action of impersonating the Ilwrath’s gods and tricking the Ilwrath to seek out and hunt down the Thraddash.

However, there were still a few things I wanted to accomplish to make sure there wasn’t information that was going to slip past us before the reversion, so I used the Quasi Portal to put us smack dab in the middle of Ur-Quan/Kohr-Ah space and we sought out some Ur-Quan.

First, we had to battle our way past some Kohr-Ah Marauders with our Avatar forces, but the next encounter was an Ur-Quan, but unfortunately, they had nothing more of interest to say other than spouting out about our punishment and impending death and other such nonsense, but nothing whatsoever about their deceased thralls.

From there I had us set a course for the Serpens Cluster so we could see what would happen to the Pkunk as they entered Yehat space, since their approach to Gamma Serpentis was quickly nearing. I thought that maybe since the Pkunk would be arriving during the Yehat’s civil war then maybe a different outcome would occur, but once the Pkunk had all gone bye-bye, we arrived and talked with the Yehat from both sides (and fighting some stupid royalists) nothing useful was gained. In fact, they didn’t even mention them at all, unlike in previous cases when the Yehat would at least announce that the Pkunk were no more.

It’s tempting to continue in this timeline and see what other nuggets I could produce, but I believe everything beyond this point would be new discovery, and I only wanted to see which loose ends I could tie.

Hmmm… Knots to untie and loose ends to tie up, but this time they all amounted to the same thing: Nothing. Zelnick out.
Captain’s Log – Oct 6, 2157 – Starbase – Status: Docked

I’m feeling a bit disoriented… plus a little younger. I activated the time portal prior to our departure towards Alpha Tauri, so that means that there will be no way for us to get past the Avengers in orbit around Procyon II, which means we can’t use the Sun Device around their planet. No Sun Device activation means no Chmmr, and no Chmmr means no Avatars. Darn!

Speaking of ships, our fleet is dramatically different. We still have an extra Spathi vessel and a few Pkunk ships too, along with all three Skiffs that had showed up unannounced a long time ago, but I guess in this timeline it was actually only a short while ago.

This also means that Scouts and Penetrators are unbuildable and will remain unavailable in our shipyards until the Shofixti arrive in Starbase around December and the diminished fleet of the Mycon returns back to Beta Brahe, where they’ll find that their Sun Device is now missing and instead in our possession. (Note: The Syreen ships should be available sometime in the early part of 2158 after we’ve visited Betelgeuse, but we didn’t build our first Syreen ship until that April)

I’m going to review my logs and decide what to do and where to go next. Captain out.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Wed May 30, 2018 5:20 pm

I always thought there was an explicit reference to the Thraddash destroying the Ilwrath homeworld on the surface. Guess not. Either way, the whole scenario always seemed a bit farfetched to me.

krulle
Reborn Shofixti

Post by krulle » Wed May 30, 2018 9:26 pm

The Troglodyte wrote: I thought that maybe since the Pkunk would be arriving during the Yehat’s civil war then maybe a different outcome would occur, but once the Pkunk had all gone bye-bye, we arrived and talked with the Yehat from both sides (and fighting some stupid royalists) nothing useful was gained. In fact, they didn’t even mention them at all, unlike in previous cases when the Yehat would at least announce that the Pkunk were no more.
nothing to write here, go look somewhere else, Troglodyte
Have You been able to talk to both factions?
Oh, wait, the whole revolution thing hasn't happened yet. Please continue and excuse my spoilery blabbering... ;)

And I think you can easily do without the Avatars, your Vindicator should be able to handle all eventualities by now, except for the Kohr-Ah winning the Doctrinal War....

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu May 31, 2018 2:24 pm

Captain’s Log – Oct 6, 2158 – Starbase – Status: Docked

I’ve spent considerable time reviewing my logs and studying the star charts in order to do my best to reorient myself to the timeline, and I’m thankful that it’s finally all starting to come back to me.

I remember that this was right at the exact time that the nature of our mission took a dramatic shift, a fork in the road if you will, and mostly because of our discovery and retrieval of the Sun Device from Beta Brahe after we convinced the Mycon to send their Birthing Fleet to Organon to fill it with their Deep Children, and with the majority of the Mycon out of the way, getting past their remnant guard was relatively easy and the Sun Device was soon ours.

From there, we thought we could use the device to accelerate the Chenjesu and Mmrnmhrm to meld themselves into a whole new race, and we were correct in our assessment, but we soon learned that the Ilwrath had been monitoring our recent activities in Procyon, so they surrounded Procyon II with tons of Avengers, blockading any orbital attempt.

We were about to give up and continue, but then we realized that we could take the HyperWave Broadcaster we were gifted by the Spathi (after they themselves had procured a slave shield around Spathiwa) and use it in the same manner like the Umgah, but use it for more than just simple pranking… ok, ok, so we did use it do a little bit of fun pranking, but afterwards we convinced them in the name of their gods to go out and attack the Thraddash, which of course left Procyon II unguarded.

After the Sun Device initialized the great metamorphic transformation and created the Chmmr who were now freed, they gave us some good information and provided blueprints for their Avatar warships and we proceeded to accomplish many tasks, like starting the Yehat revolutionary war, confirming our established alliance with the Syreen and we could start building Penetrators, obtaining the Aqua Helix from Zeta Draconis after the Ilwrath and Thraddash destroyed each other, and we even tracked down a caught a small glimpse of our ultimate target for annihilation: the Sa-Matra!

However, all of those tasks accomplished have now been erased, so I’ll have to begin those goals again, but we can’t proceed until a Shofixti arrives at base. The Pkunk are nearing their final return back to their home stars, and the Mycon are moving towards Organon, completely unaware of the Syreen ambush that awaits them.

So, for now this eliminates most objectives that I’m familiar with from the list, including the Pkunk, Yehat, Shofixti, VUX, Orz, Mycon, Syreen, Arilou, Umgah and the Zoq-Fot-Pik. We could always seek out a new first contact with one of the races we’re aware of but haven’t met yet, like perhaps the Druuge, Utwig or Supox, but I feel since we’ve already encountered the Thraddash, and already know of one way of dealing with them (which unfortunately, is allowing them to all die at the hands, I mean claws, of the Ilwrath) I’d like to see if there may be some kind of diplomatic solution.

I’ve taken a good, long look at our current fleet, but I think it can stay the way it is for now. We have 3 Arilou Skiffs, which have shown in battle simulations they can handle Torches very well, and I’m fairly confident that our two Orz vessels can hold their own too. We still also have a pair of Pkunk ships, a ZFP Stinger, and an Earthling Cruiser, plus two Spathi ships, which could at least be beneficial for any necessary crew replacements if the Arilou or Orz should take some damage if diplomacy with the Thraddash fails.

We will set course for Delta Draconis. Captain out.