About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:57 pm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log - Nov 16, 2157 - Near Alpha Tauri 1 - Red Alert

We were already well on our way towards the innermost planet when I decided we should see what would happen if we used the ’Caster a few more times, and of course, the Ilwrath were eager to respond to hear another inspirational thought from their gods of torment. The leader immediately ordered their subordinate to turn up the volume on the receiver and reported with loyal pride that they had already dispatched over a thousand Ilwrath Avengers to head out and kill any Thraddash they can find until there are none left.

Telling them to worship us some more didn’t help matters either, at least not from a humanitarian position. I mean, they were definitely very anxiously excited and happy to do anything they could to demonstrate their desires to please us, so the leader began ordering the poor little servant acolyte around, making them bring forth the numerous candles for more ceremoniously intertwined exhortations of goodwill… or badwill, as it were. The candles, by the way, were made from fat and flesh, as one might expect.

The more we summoned them, the more they would work themselves into a frenzy, torturing and/or sacrificing anything nearby, including some kind of life form they call jubbies, throwing them by the dozens into pits of spikes while they feasted on their torn body parts and limbs, drinking the blood as it dripped out of the broken ends. Disgusting and disturbing, but the worst was yet to come.

They even brought out the last human they’ve had imprisoned for years within their dark dungeons and began the slow torture by pulling at their head, and they did so with due diligence to not pull too much to separate the spine to ensure that this horrible process was prolonged as long as possible and caused as much pain as possible as well.

The Ilwrath in unison screamed wails of wicked praise, proudly proclaiming this was all being done in the names of their gods Dogar and Kazon, and all I could do was close my eyes and cover my ears as the poor victim screamed in agony close to the point of their head popping off, but then the executors of pain suddenly stopped and returned the prisoner back to their cell for safe-keeping for the next time their gods needed more ritual appeasement. We learned this the hard way… and the human, by the way, is a young girl. Damn the Ilwrath.

Totally distraught at this point, I ordered termination of communications and we continued towards the 1st planet, but as we drew closer, a small group of Avengers took notice and set course to intercept. Usually I would have us withdraw to a safer distance and then allow every notified Ilwrath group to chase after us until we could handle them more easily when they’d eventually get clumped together and more predictable to anticipate, but not this time. In fact, I had already informed the fleet that the Vindicator was going to handle up on any and all Avengers that dared crossed our path. That poor girl was going to get proper retribution… from me! Those Ilwrath will pay dearly!

However, to my astonishment, the Ilwrath weren’t interested in a fight, stating that with their unholy pilgrimage of death unfolding they didn’t have sufficient time to rip off our arms and beat us with them… followed by feeding them to us, so instead they pulled away and returned to their normal flight patterns before we could even charge up the hellbores! Damnit! I was fully ready to kill every Ilwrath that approached!

We are in short-range sensor range of the planet and will continue on course into orbit. There will likely be an adequate supply of Ilwrath to kill when we arrive. We are now going to Red Alert. Zelnick out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Tormuse
Nnnnnngaaaa!!!!

Post by Tormuse » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:55 pm

Oh, wow... I didn't realize there was more "worship" dialogue. :o

They still had a human prisoner after twenty years? If she's a child, does this mean she was born into this and has known nothing but Ilwrath torment her whole life? Everything about this is unsettling. :(

krulle
Reborn Shofixti

Post by krulle » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:00 am

[color=#FF0000]Ilwrath[/color] reply to [b][i]Worship us![/i][/b] wrote:Oh Evil Dogar!
Oh Hideous Kazon!
We Shall Toss The Fat Jubbies Into The Pit Of A Thousand Needles!
This We Shall Do In Your Names!
We Shall Bring Forth The Last Remaining Hu-Man Prisoner
And Pull Its Head Apart Slowly, So That Its Cries Last For Hours.
We Shall Torment, Terrorize, Maim And Kill, Again, Again And AGAIN!
Yikes.

But shouldn't you be able to select "Fight!" instead of "talk", therefore bypassing their option to break contact and fly away?

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:36 am

krulle wrote:But shouldn't you be able to select "Fight!" instead of "talk", therefore bypassing their option to break contact and fly away?
When the other party is not interested in engaging in combat (typically caused by being allies) the encounter goes directly into communications instead of presenting the attack/communicate/save options menu. So no, you could not. Besides, these are Ilwrath we're talking about - it's rather hard to fight them if they do not want to get involved, knowing their aptitude for turning invisible.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:30 pm

Tormuse wrote:Oh, wow... I didn't realize there was more "worship" dialogue. :o
After using the Umgah ’Caster to talk to the Ilwrath, you can use it again and they’ll reveal some more interesting but disturbing dialogue. Check it out! (I also made a slight adjustment to the “Dill-Rats” speech pattern)
--------------------------------------------------------
(2nd time after using Umgah ’Caster in Alpha Tauri)

DILL RATS – “Dogar And Kazon Once More Grace Channel 44 With Their Inspiring Words Of Hatred And Cruelty! Acolyte! Turn The Volume To Maximum Immediately! Hear Us, Black Dogar! Hear Us, Bloody Kazon! Dwe Have Heard Your Word And Devote Every Breath To Fulfilling Your Desire For Gratuitous Violence And Death! As Dwe Speak, A Thousand Starships, Cloaked And Invisible, Make Passage To The Draconis Stars. Upon Arrival There, The Holy Killing Team Will Begin The Bloody Slaughter Youbuu Requested.”

CAPTAIN ZELNICK – “WORSHIP US!”

DILL RATS – “Dwe Shall Make Instant Obeisance, Divine Lords Of Darkness! Acolyte! Light The Candles Of Torment -- Quickly! No Youbuu Idiot! Not The White Ones... Use The Yellow And Red Ones Dwe Made From The Prisoners Last Week, The Ones With The Lumps. Yes, Yes! No Fool, Not Those! They Are Still Wet!”
-----------------------------------------------------------
(3rd time)

CAPTAIN ZELNICK – “WORSHIP US!”

DILL RATS – “Oh Evil Dogar! Oh Hideous Kazon! Dwe Shall Toss The Fat Jubbies Into The Pit Of A Thousand Needles! This Dwe Shall Do In Your Names! Dwe Shall Bring Forth The Last Remaining Hu-Man Prisoner And Pull Its Head Apart Slowly, So That It Cries Last For Hours. This Dwe Shall Do In Your Names! Dwe Shall Torment, Terrorize, Maim And Kill, Again, And Again, And AGAIN! This Dwe Shall Do In Your Names!”
----------------------------------------------------------
(4th time -- same)
(2nd time after using Umgah ’Caster in Alpha Tauri -- but NOT sending Ilwrath to kill Thraddash)

DILL RATS – “Dogar! Kazon! Dwe Hear Your Summons And Slaughter The Fat Jubby In Greeting.”
(3rd time)

DILL RATS – “From The Black Pits Of Pain The Deific Duo Of Destruction Emerge Once More!”
(4th time)

DILL RATS – “Our Gods Have Returned Once More, Just As Foretold By This Morning’s Rituals! When Dwe Pulled The Steaming Entrails From The Squirming Sacrifice And Flung The Fatty Loops Against The Walls Of Our Holy Chambers The Entrails Stuck Tight, Neither Sliding Nor Peeling Even A Little Bit! Thus Was Our Gods’ Arrival Foretold!”
---------------------------------------------------------
(5th time -- same)
---------------------------------------------------------
(Note: I was also very tempted to convert every ‘Your’ into ‘Youbuu’s’, but I refrained –- and the color-marking enhancing feature is unfortunately off-line; something to do with the pattern buffer or some such, but I’m pretty sure most of the dialogue would have been colored in red)
Tormuse wrote:They still had a human prisoner after twenty years? If she's a child, does this mean she was born into this and has known nothing but Ilwrath torment her whole life? Everything about this is unsettling. :(
One thing I’ve noticed about playing this game is most of the setting and characters have an interesting duality aspect about them; they often times exhibit personalities and expressions of being playful and colorful, which is quickly replaced by an alarmingly darker and sinister side. This is plainly seen in the Ilwrath, and along with other similar counterparts such as the Ur-Quan and Kohr-Ah, the darker tones thickly overlay the light-hearted ones.

I’ve done my best to insert myself into the situation using my imagination, so it became all too obvious to me that these Ilwrath guys would be a human’s worst nightmare, and I’ve tried to briefly but directly portray some of those ideas in my logs, but it causes me to recess into deep, dark places when contemplating the possibilities of how bad the Ilwrath could possibly be.

The human prisoner being a young girl seemed to fit my head cannon, since it brought the most shock value when my mind conjured the idea, and although I was hesitant to include that notion, I eventually decided to stay with it, but I’ll admit it is still a bit bothersome to me, but I suppose that’s the point. Apologies to anybody if this was a tough swallow, but that’s just how I wanted to portray the levels of Ilwrath evilness. The up-and-coming homeworld encounter will likely continue this route.

As far as the girl’s origins are concerned, that is purposefully left a mystery… Was she the offspring of a captured pregnant woman during the war and conceived and born into captivity? Could she or her mother have been brought from Earth’s space station during a transfer before the Ilwrath departed? Or maybe even an Androsynth cloned child? These unanswerable questions surrounding her only serves to add to the twisted tragedy, so I thank you for your question Tormuse! (or maybe the writer didn’t account for that timeline fact and completely overlooked it)
Quasispatial wrote:
krulle wrote:But shouldn't you be able to select "Fight!" instead of "talk", therefore bypassing their option to break contact and fly away?
When the other party is not interested in engaging in combat (typically caused by being allies) the encounter goes directly into communications instead of presenting the attack/communicate/save options menu. So no, you could not. Besides, these are Ilwrath we're talking about - it's rather hard to fight them if they do not want to get involved, knowing their aptitude for turning invisible.
I can see both sides. I didn’t expect the Ilwrath encounter following ’Caster manipulation would go right into communications, so it was a sudden surprise that went well with the game flow; subtle things out of left field like this are always welcome.

On the other hand, this is the Ilwrath we’re talking about, so it would be logical for the encounter to present itself in the same fashion in the usual neutral-to-hostile manner, displaying the options of ‘converse’ or ‘attack’, but perhaps in this instance it’s demonstrating the Ilwrath’s urgency and the cloaking ability intervenes as Quasi suggests.

(By the way, even following them and bugging them over twenty times has no effect on their posture. Trust me. ;) )
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Tormuse
Nnnnnngaaaa!!!!

Post by Tormuse » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:43 pm

The Troglodyte wrote: The human prisoner being a young girl seemed to fit my head cannon
You mean one of these? :) (Sorry, I couldn't resist; I'm sure you meant headcanon without a double N)
The Troglodyte wrote: As far as the girl’s origins are concerned, that is purposefully left a mystery… Was she the offspring of a captured pregnant woman during the war and conceived and born into captivity? Could she or her mother have been brought from Earth’s space station during a transfer before the Ilwrath departed? Or maybe even an Androsynth cloned child? These unanswerable questions surrounding her only serves to add to the twisted tragedy, so I thank you for your question Tormuse! (or maybe the writer didn’t account for that timeline fact and completely overlooked it)
A starbase origin for a little girl is more likely than Androsynth, since the Androsynth are all (canonically) male.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:24 pm

Tormuse wrote:
The Troglodyte wrote: The human prisoner being a young girl seemed to fit my head cannon
You mean one of these? :) (Sorry, I couldn't resist; I'm sure you meant headcanon without a double N)
:? Stupid auto correct.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:04 pm

I think that studying the Ilwrath so closely has messed with my head, and I find some of my own thoughts rather disturbing, to be honest, considering the depth of vileness a person can reach merely by a focused contemplation of their own thoughts.

I actually could’ve gone darker when referring to the prisoner, but I felt its level of portrayed evil was going too far. That’s right, the young girl victim was the lesser of 2 evils! I’m not got to say directly what that scenario was… but I’ll offer some inference for anybody who wants to go there, and for those who don’t… stop reading please.

The victim in question was not going to be a young “girl” and part of the quote was going to have a different context applied accordingly:

“Oh Evil Dogar! Oh Hideous Kazon! We Shall Toss The Fat Jubbies Into The Pit Of A Thousand Needles! This We Shall Do In Your Names! We Shall Bring Forth The Last Remaining Hu-Man Prisoner And Pull Its-->Head<--Apart Slowly, So That It Cries Last For Hours. This We Shall Do In Your Names! We Shall Torment, Terrorize, Maim And Kill, Again, And Again, And AGAIN! This We Shall Do In Your Names!”

So sorry, but it’s just something that jumped off the screen when I was going back over the dialogue hearing the ultra-creepy voices of the Ilwrath uttering the deplorable words. Yeah, and I feel just sick about it, but there you have it. Now we can all feel disturbed together. Somehow that helps me feel a little better.

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:26 pm

Aw hell. You're right, that is worse.
Now I can't get the image out of my head. Figures.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:56 pm

Quasispatial wrote:Aw hell. You're right, that is worse.
Now I can't get the image out of my head. Figures.
I warned you! Sorry Quasi! :lol: