Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:21 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 792 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80  Next
 Post subject: Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:10 pm 
Malfunctioning M:bot

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Jul 1, 2157 – Sol – Starbase

I emerged in the timeline right after convincing the Pkunk to avoid Swollen Moon travelling disasters, and we ran into a few more of their ships on our way home, where their offer still stands that there are more Fury vessels awaiting us on our return to Gamma Krueger, but I’m afraid we have more pressing concerns, well... with the impending doom of our green, blue and brown buddies on the horizon and all.

After we had docked at starport, I immediately went and met with Commander Hayes, and he was anxious to share this with us:

HAYES – “I hope the battle fares well, Captain. I’ve been waiting to inform you of a new situation. We are receiving a priority distress call from the Zoq-Fot Homeworld at Alpha Tucanae. The signal was urgent but extremely weak. The only portions of the transmission that we can be sure of are: ‘HELP’ ‘BLACK DESTROYER!’ ‘PLANET UNDER ATTACK!’ ‘HELP’ ‘WORSE THAN ZEBRANKY’ (whatever that means) and finally... ‘HELP!’

Why doesn’t he care about the Pik? Anyway, since we already have our flagship in drydock getting her tanks refueled, I’ve decided, after much deliberation, to replace the rear cannon with a single cargo pod. The supplemental cannon served us well during the cryogenic missions with bothersome probes, but now this way if we were to run into a situation where we’d need to obtain certain minerals we’d have a place to put them, plus it will also give us the freedom to see if there are any other new exotic minerals we may happen to stumble upon. We’ll also have a full frontal weapon’s array that will be focused on blasting everything in our path head on, and an additional power boost for our recharging abilities to boot! We’ll give those Kohr-Ah bastards our regards on behalf of all sentient life!! Long live the Alliance!

I’m still preparing our mission briefing, but these are to projected targets I’ve been brainstorming:

Procyon/Chenjesu/Mmrnmhrm - Alpha Tucanae/Zoq-Fot-Pik – Orionis/Umgah - Columbae/Chandrasekhar/Circini/ArilouLaleelay - Alpha Pavonis/Shipwrecked Ur-Quan Dreadnought - Beta Corvi/Slylandro - Draconis?/Thraddash? - Delta Lyncis?/ZEX’s Beast?

I’m tempted to travel to Epsilon Camelopardalis after our dealings in Tucanae, but that will have to wait for now; it would be far too hazardous to make another attempt to cut through the Ur-Quan war zone.

Zelnick out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:21 pm 
Androsynth scientist

The Troglodyte wrote:
...But there’s no need to take my word for it…

Oh, I believe you! And I admire your dedication... or madness? (Or both?) :P

EDIT: Dedadness? or maybe... ooh! Madnication! :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:36 pm 

Tormuse wrote:
And I admire your dedication... or madness? (Or both?) :P

Probably the latter. ;)-smf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:51 pm 

I had to describe this one a bit differently to present my thoughts to more properly paint the picture of which I wished to portray, so this one is in mock screenplay form:

(The scene slowly fades in, and the audience sees a long corridor coming into view, with many uniformed people, men and women, walking up and down the hallway, some of them carrying on indistinguishable casual conversation. Suddenly, from above, close to the ceiling, a small fly comes into view, flying around above head and the camera focuses on said fly. The appearance of the fly is similar to the common housefly, but it instead more closely resembles a “cavefly” -- a very common flying insect found on Unzervalt, which was given its name since they were densely numerous in the cave where the Precursor computer was found by the Vela colonists, so the happenstance that a few may have made their way aboard a starship is of little consequence to the crew, but it is important to note that the fully grown cavefly is approximately the same size (about two millimeters longer in length) than an average housefly, and are often seen buzzing around the ortog, who swat the annoying pests with their tails and will occasionally snatch one out of midair with their frog-like tongues when one flies too close to their mouth. However, this particular fly we’re witnessing flying through the bulkheads is not making the associated buzzing sound, and with good reason, since as the camera switches to the first-person view we can clearly see through the digitally displayed screen that this cavefly is actually not a fly at all, but a very small, sophisticated recording device, and we switch back to third-person just in time to see the fly flutter through an opening in a nearby airlock, and it continues to fly through as the double doors close behind it, and the view remains centered on the closed doors as the scene fades to black.)

(The screen is dark for a few moments, presumably returning from a commercial break, for something like… (ahem) “Soylent Green! That’s right! Soylent Green is packed with everything a healthy body needs.... well, because it basically IS a healthy body, just in wafer form for easy consumption! Yummy! Remember friends, next Tuesday is Soylent Green Day! (The band Green Day will also be playing that afternoon.)”… Anyway, as I was saying, the screen is dark for a few moments, and, as it slowly fades in, we’re given a bird’s-eye view from atop a large room from the vantage point of over the shoulder of the mechanical fly clinging to the ceiling upside-down, and a faint squeaky, whiny all-too-familiar Spathian voice can be heard as the view looms overhead a distant blurry view of a very large conference table seated with people along with several aliens (Orz, Zoq, Fot, Pik, and another Spathi) as the blurred Spathi continues speaking, waving his arms and snapping his claws as the view strafes from outside of the close-up view of the side of the insect and continues until the view is once again from within the insect’s viewing chamber, and the screen is bracketing the Spathi and displaying zoomed-in “Fwiffo”, who is now plainly heard, but what he’s saying is in his native tongue and is not understandable to the audience: “Bjort muff whiffle clanz afly dlop…” and the view veers back outside and quickly down to join the conversation below, and Fwiffo’s voice is now being heard in English as we get closer)

Fwiffo – “…and that’s another thing! Every time Zelnick presses those crazy time travel buttons and whatnot, another version of me is sent into yet another alternate reality where I will most assuredly meet my inevitable death is some other, bizarre gruesome way!”

Hayes – “Fwiffo! Stop with the outbursts! Wait until you’re called upon… so raise your hand, I mean, claw… if you have something you want to say.”

Fwiffo – “Fine! I’ll go back to fixing this dumb, stupid chair!”

(Fwiffo starts muttering to himself discontentedly while making small, clanging noises while messing with his conference chair, which appears to be too short for him)

Pik (bouncing up and down on his spring appendage) – “Oh great! Then what the heck am I supposed to do? I don't have any hands!”

Zoq (while outstretching her tendrils far apart) – “Then perhaps it would be best if you didn’t say anything at all!”

Pik – “Hey! That’s not fair! I may have something important to contribute.” (blows a big puff of spores through his blowholes)

Zoq (shifts tendrils to arch out upwards and away from the body) – “Yeah, like what?”

Pik – “Well, I don’t know right now but… I’ll think of something.” (small puff)

Zoq (sarcastically) – “Yeah, right!” (gulps)

Hayes – “Can we get back on topic people?”

Orz – “So *silly*! Orz are not *people*! Orz are Orz!”

1st Officer (ignoring the Orz’s comment) – “Yes, we were discussing our next objectives, but I’m not sure if we can afford to delay going directly to Alpha Tucanae before we’re too late!”

Navigator – “You’re probably right, but Procyon is very close by, and we need to see if the ’Umgah Caster can communicate past the planet’s slave-shield.”

Science Officer – “There’s no way of telling for certain if it can do as the navigator suggests, but we won’t know until we try.”

Communications Officer – “But I’m almost positive we can! You see, the Chenjesu’s special ability to naturally receive and transmit HyperWave broadcasts should allow them to meet us halfway.”

Chief Medical Officer – “But that doesn’t mean they’ll automatically be capable of sending us a signal through the slave-shield! Remember, according to our reports they’ve been undergoing a hybridization of two totally different species, and don’t even get me started at what that can do biologically to a species’ abilities… some may improve, while others may diminish... or vanish altogether.”

Tactical Officer – “Well, they didn’t seem to have any trouble sending themselves through the barrier, but I’d like to point out there’s still the Ilwrath to contend with.”

Orz – “Orz does not like the Ilwrath. They are such *silly cows*! Orz not *see* or not even *smell* so there is not enough *squeezing the juice*! It is *frumple* and we can not get to the *other* so there is no *happy time*!”

Chief Medical Officer – “Why do they call them cows? They’re clearly spiders!”

Communications Officer – “As best as we can tell, anything that is an adversary is reduced to the status of bovine.”

Hayes – “Uh, Captain? You’ve been awfully quiet this whole time. Do you have anything to add?”

Zelnick – “Mission three.”

Hayes (shrugs) – “What do you mean mission three?”

Zelnick – “The Pkunk cryogenic mission number three, which began back in late January. I could use one of the time portal entry points sometime during that mission as our starting point, then we could go to Procyon while the Pkunk are travelling while everyone was just sitting around twiddling their thumbs.”

Communications Officer – “Oh, some of us were doing much more than thumb-twiddling, right Fwiffo?”

Fwiffo (slyly, looking up from kneeling behind his chair) – “What ever could you mean?”

Communications Officer – “Captain, Fwiffo stumbled upon an old television show from the nineteen eighties called MacGyver, and he’s become obsessed with it!”

Fwiffo – “Hey! That guy can get out of any jam! Something any self-respecting Spathi can certainly appreciate.” (returns to fiddling with the chair)

Chief Medical Officer – “Yeah, but that doesn’t mean you had to jury-rig the recreational viewscreen to constantly play old episodes around the clock! It took our chief engineer almost a week to reverse it!”

Chief Engineer (sighs) – “Yeah, and this morning Mr. MacGyver was back again.”

Zelnick (angrily) – “FWIFFO!!!”

Fwiffo (snickers) – “But look at the results! I can fix anything!”

(Fwiffo steps back, holding a Swiss Army knife and a roll of duct tape, and reveals his new and improved conference chair, which now goes up and down and swivels, and, surprisingly enough, also has massage pads and a cup holder, plus a few blinking lights for added flair)

Fwiffo (proudly as he showcases his chair with both arms extended towards it) – “Ta Da!”

Zelnick – “On that note, I think we should take a break.”

Hayes – “Agreed. Everyone is dismissed.”

(As everyone begins filing out, a small fly is seen hovering over Fwiffo’s chair. After everyone has left, and all is quiet, the fly lands on the seat, and it begins walking in short, quick intervals around the seat, fluttering its wings periodically and rubbing its forelegs together, when suddenly a circular port in the chair’s arm opens and a mechanical arm appears with a white-gloved hand holding a giant flyswatter, which swings with such a violent force the robotic fly is smashed into pieces that spark and buzz as the flyswatter arm returns, followed by another set of mechanical arms with white gloves appearing from the other arm of the chair, one holding a small dustpan and the other a small broom, which both work in unison to clean up the mess, and then they too return to the confines of the chair. The screen then circular fades with the centered chair in a Looney Tunes fashion.)

Last edited by The Troglodyte on Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:35 am 
Silly Supox

Pik – “Hey! That’s not fair! I may have something important to contribute.” (blows a big puff of smoke through his blowholes)
That's not smoke, that are spores!

Pik – “Well, I don’t know right not now but… I’ll think of something.” (small puff)
[...]
Communications Officer – “Oh, some of us we’re were doing much more than thumb-twiddling, right Fwiffo?”
[...]
(As everyone begins filing out, a small fly is seen hovering over Fwiffo’s chair. After everyone has left, and all is quiet, the fly lands on the seat, and it begins walking in short, quick intervals around the seat, fluttering its wings periodically and rubbing its forelegs together, when suddenly a circular port in the chair’s arm opens and a mechanical arm appears with a white-gloved hand holding a giant flyswatter, which swings with such a violent force the the robotic fly is smashed into pieces that spark and buzz as the flyswatter arm returns, followed by another set of mechanical arms with white gloves appearing from the other arm of the chair, one holding a small dustpan and the other a small broom, which both work in unison to clean up the mess, and then they too return to the confines of the chair. The screen then circular fades with the centered chair in a Looney Tunes fashion.)

Have a good trip back in time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:12 pm 

krulle wrote:
that are spores!
[...]
not now
[...]
we’re were
[...]
the the

Thanks buddy! I'm always missin' stuff during my proofread! ;)-smf

krulle wrote:
Have a good trip back in time.

I'll try.

“That’s all anyone can do... try.” - The Pkunk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:50 pm 
Androsynth scientist

krulle wrote:
Pik – “Hey! That’s not fair! I may have something important to contribute.” (blows a big puff of smoke through his blowholes)

Erm... We're talking about the springy guy on the right, right? I know the Zoq, the plant-like guy on the left, makes a comment about blowing a cloud of spores, but I don't think we actually know what's coming out of the Pik's blowholes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:02 pm 

Tormuse wrote:
krulle wrote:

Erm... We're talking about the springy guy on the right, right? I know the Zoq, the plant-like guy on the left, makes a comment about blowing a cloud of spores, but I don't think we actually know what's coming out of the Pik's blowholes.

Perhaps their three species are very closely related, which would help explain the symbiotic relationship they all seem to share. I agree with Tormuse; the Zoq does seem plant-like, but it also seems more like all three are unique to any of our basic classification of plants, mammals, reptiles or amphibians, but they could have aspects of any or all of these. Their codependency could even include reproduction (whether sexually or asexually I can’t be sure) which could mean their DNA could be more closely matched in their genome than perhaps we perceive.

That being said, it would also make sense if the Pik were in fact blowing spores, just as his counterpart claims to be capable of performing, and perhaps even the mute one can do it too! In a way, their close genetic association is also confirmed by their similar diets:

“We three, the Zoq, Fot, and Pik evolved in such a way as to acquire sustenance from many sources from airborne zooplankton from solar and ambient energies and from rocky fungal clingers.” – Zoq and/or Pik (I’m not sure who said what in my copy of this text)

This points towards all of them possibly being plant-like, but I think it may be more like amphibious plant-like, but I admit I’m probably being influenced by Zelnick’s line of “SILENCE BLATHERING TOADIES!” :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:32 pm 

Captain’s Log - Jan 28, 2157 - Sol – Starbase

I am pleased to report that we are almost ready to depart Starbase, and we will be setting course directly for Procyon, but that will of course also mean that we’ll be heading into Ilwrath space; an experience I’m not looking forward to reliving, but I’m hoping that we’ll be much more prepared than we were during our first trip.

Which brings me to the Zoq-Fot-Pik –- we’ve just finished completing a crash course of rigorous training of combat simulations for our newly constructed pair of Stinger-class vessels, and some of the results against various enemies has been promising, while others, uh... not so much. However, one of the groups where the ZFP acquitted themselves nicely in their combative prowess was against the cloaked Avenger-class ships of the Ilwrath.

Our Cruisers fall easily to the Avengers, mostly due to the inability of the Nuclear Missiles to track through their cloak, diminishing their offensive capabilities to practically nil. The Orz somewhat fall into the same boat, since their marines cannot board an invisible ship, and they, like the Spathi, have had difficulty taking down any more than a few missionaries of death before taking a good deal of damage in one form or another, whether by flames or crashing into a planet! The Pkunk ships can outmaneuver the Ilwrath well enough, but their weapon’s lack of firing range means they must get close enough to strafe the target with the side cannons, which also increases the chance of the Fury coming literally under fire, greatly increasing their chances significantly of eventually making a critical mistake.

Fortunately, the Stingers are fast enough to stay out of range of the Ilwrath’s Hellfire Spout, as long as they practice enough discipline to play it safe and only fire their Antimatter Spray when the opportunity avails itself. I’m glad we have this new ally by our sides, and I know I can count on each and every one of them to perform their best, even when asked to take on scores of Avengers, if and when it becomes necessary... which unfortunately it probably will.

The docking clamps have been released and we have cleared starport. We will set course for Procyon. Captain out.
Captain’s Log - Feb 4, 2157 - Procyon - Yellow Alert

So far, so good. We’ve made it safely to Procyon, but there are several bogeys (undoubtedly Ilwrath who are now aware of our presence) in pursuit nearing this system as we speak, so we’ve gone to yellow alert status. We will continue on towards Procyon II, where hopefully the Umgah ’Caster will be able to communicate with the merging species of Chenjesu and Mmrnmhrm, whatever those will be called once their metamorphosis is complete... Hmmm, maybe for now I’ll combine their two names and call them something like... um, er… the Mmrch. Yeah, Mmrch sounds good! Get it? When you combine the first part of each of their names, Mmrnmhrm and Chenjesu, you get Mmrch. I’m glad I came up with that. That should eliminate any confusion when we discuss them during meetings. Hopefully if we’re able to establish communications, I’ll be sure to recommend the new name to their leaders. I’m sure they’ll approve. I may even get a reward for my idea.

We will continue towards the 2nd planet. Zelnick out.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:51 pm 
Androsynth scientist

I always find Ilwrath Avengers annoying to fight because homing weapons don't work when they're cloaked. (Including your Vindicator's ATS modules) ZFP Stingers are actually one of the better ships against them because they fire their shots in a spread, so some of the shots are sure to hit.

But my favourite way to deal with them is to refit the flagship with a single Hellbore cannon in the nose and filling the entire ship with Dynamos and Shiva furnaces so you can just spam the area with hellfire. Surprisingly satisfying. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 792 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80  Next