Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:02 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 981 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 99  Next
 Post subject: Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:19 am 
Arilou wiseguy

Yay, for story progression!

Indeed, take good care of your beloved Portal Spawner. It's a technology we (from the New Alliance) cannot copy yet.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:56 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For: M.G.

I’ve been tracking the Vindicator and fleet just like you wanted, and we’ve been monitoring their activities from a nearby system. They have recently entered Beta Corvi and we were able to pick up their transmissions, but due to interference from the sun and gas giant planet, we’ve had to extrapolate everything that was being said since much of it was garbled by the static and other interference, but we assume everything being heard was from their interactions with the Slylandro, so we’ve estimated everything that took place and filled in the blanks as best we could. I must admit I’m a little confused though, since from what you’ve told us the Slylandro are supposed to be a very friendly species, but as you’ll soon see below, things didn’t really turn out that way for Zelnick and crew:

[Bridge]

Science Officer – “The Universal Translator is coming on line, sir.”
Slylandro – “U—Gly! Ugly… Giant… Bags… of mostly water!”
Captain Zelnick – “Bags of mostly water?”
Science Officer – “An accurate description of us humans, sir. We are over ninety per cent water surrounded by a flexible container.”
Chief Medical Officer – “Do you understand us?”
Slylandro – “We understand. We ask you that you be gone. We call. We talk. You not listen.”
Captain Zelnick – “We didn’t hear you. We come in peace!”
Slylandro – “Ugly bags of mostly water, we try at peace. You still do not listen. Bags have to die!”
Ship’s Counselor – “We see and hear you now. We didn’t know you were there. You are beautiful to us. All life is beautiful.”
Slylandro – “War is now with you!”
Science Officer – “The translator is now offline, sir.”
Captain Zelnick – “Can you hear us now?” (the ship shakes violently) “Helm?!”
Helmsman – “Re-establishing, Captain!”

[Ready Room]

Captain Zelnick – “Captain’s log, supplemental. We have regained visual contact, but our attempts to restore communications have been unsuccessful. One thing that is certain, however… They have declared war on us.”

[Bridge]

Security Officer – “All non-essential personnel have been moved to the most distant areas of the ship, sir.”
Captain Zelnick – “Science Officer, any analysis of those bolts of light they emit?”
Science Officer – “Captain, each bolt of light consists of negatively and positively charged ions.”
Captain Zelnick – “Have we disabled the Medical Lab computer console?”
1st Officer – “Aye, sir. As soon as we’ve determined their method of operation.”
Chief Engineer – “Captain, picking up a decrease in infra-red intensity.”
Science Officer – “Maybe they’ve reached their energy level.”
Chief Medical Officer – “Or maybe that’s not the end of it.”
1st Officer – “The calm before the storm?”
Captain Zelnick – “Let’s use this calm.”
Science Officer – “They do seem dormant, Captain.”
Captain Zelnick – “Set coordinates to beam them back where they came from.”
Security Officer – “Coordinates set, sir.”
Captain Zelnick – “Energize!”

(They see the transporter effect try to take hold and then be repulsed)

Chief Engineer – “Transporter power being redirected, sir. We are unable to affect them!”
Captain Zelnick – “Life forms or not, intelligent or not, the safety of this ship and everyone aboard her is my primary responsibility! Evacuate all the air from the Medical Lab. I want a vacuum there.”
Science Officer – “Environmental systems fail to respond to command, Captain.”
Captain Zelnick – “They have declared a state of war and we are on the defensive! We have no control over our Medical Lab nor our computer! At this moment they have the power to destroy this ship and everybody on it!!”
1st Officer – “Unbelievable!... Captain, it's happening again! If this keeps up, they’ll tear up the ship!”
Captain Zelnick – “What have we determined?”
Science Officer – “Captain, our sensors indicate they expend a tremendous amount of energy during the reproductive cycle, yet there is no discernible power drain on our own systems.”
Captain Zelnick – “Then what is feeding the damn things?”
Chief Engineer – “We found traces of cadmium salts. Now, cadmium is a conduit for converting infra-red into electricity.”
Captain Zelnick – “Meaning?”
Science Officer – “Meaning they might be photoelectric!”
Captain Zelnick – “Kill the lights in the medical lab. Let’s see if darkness will neutralize them!”
Chief Engineer – “Sorry, sir, they still have control of the computer. We can’t do it by remote.”

[Corridor]

1st Officer – “Killing lab lights now.”

[Bridge]

Security Officer – “Sir, they’re slowing down.”
Chief Engineer – “They’re getting dimmer, too.”
Slylandro – “More… light… please!”
Captain Zelnick – “Only if you will talk to us.”
Slylandro – “We die. Bags of water kill us. You are like others.”
Captain Zelnick – “We have no wish to kill you. We never have.”
Slylandro – “You do not say truth!”
Captain Zelnick – “We will end this war, if you will end the war.”
Slylandro – “Darkness! Death! Terrible! Must… go… home! War… over!”
Captain Zelnick – “Agreed! We will send you home. Bring up the lights in the lab, just a bit… Are you better?”
Slylandro – “Better.”
Captain Zelnck – “We mean you no harm. Do you believe me?”
Slylandro – “Yes.”
Captain Zelnick – “Good. It is important that you trust us.”
Slylandro – “Not yet. You are still too arrogant. Too primitive. Come back three centuries. Perhaps then we trust.”
Captain Zelnick – “We understand what you are saying. We will leave you. We will send you home.”

[Medical lab]

1st Officer – “Transporter Chief, pick up the coordinates of the bell jar in the Medical Lab for return to Beta Corvi IV.”
Transporter Chief – “Coordinates entered, sir.”
1st Officer – “Captain, we’re ready to beam them back to the planet.”

[Bridge]

Science Officer – “I wish we were able to learn more about them, sir.”
Captain Zelnick – “In time… when we're better prepared.”
Ship’s Counselor – “Our apologies.”
Captain Zelnick – “And respects. Lieutenant?”
Security Officer – “Coordinates set, sir.”
Captain Zelnick – “Energize.

Captain's log, supplemental: I have declared an indefinite quarantine for Beta Corvi IV, and we are now returning to Starbase. Perhaps the lesson we have learned from this near tragedy will prevent it from happening elsewhere.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ref: Dialogue borrowed and adapted form "Star Trek: The Next Generation" Season 1, Episode 18: Home Soil; Paramount Television.

Last edited by The Troglodyte on Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:00 pm 
Ilwrath spawn

Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.
What?! So....you aren't going to go to the planet? I'm confused... I must be misreading.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:23 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

"Home Soil". I remember that episode :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:30 pm 
Orz *camper*

Funny... I found myself reading Zelnick's lines in an English accent, but I somehow sensed that he was French. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:01 pm 
Arilou wiseguy

Well, the glowy bits got dimmer..... ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:56 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Alvarin wrote:
"Home Soil". I remember that episode :)
krulle wrote:
Well, the glowy bits got dimmer..... ;)

One of my personal favorite trek stories, even though the 1st season had poor lighting and other strange things going on. That particular episode was what I thought of immediately when encountering the Slylandro, mostly because of their glowing appearance, which I will of course go into much more detail later.

Tormuse wrote:
Funny... I found myself reading Zelnick's lines in an English accent, but I somehow sensed that he was French. ;)

Yeah, and they were kind of stuck with that situation with Stewart/Picard for the duration, and it's even more ridiculous when he returns to his home vineyard in France and all of his French relatives all have English accents as well!

Let this be a lesson to us all: If you go deep into our past, for some reason all Romans have British accents, and the same goes for French folk in the future! Hmmm… I wonder how French trekkies feel about that.

palmpet wrote:
What?! So....you aren't going to go to the planet? I'm confused... I must be misreading.

It's okay, I was just stalling for time anyway while I study up on the Slylandro. As you'll soon see (below), apparently whoever was spying on the Vindicator got their facts messed up! :lol: Speaking of which…

(Meanwhile…)

Captain’s Log - Jun 21, 2157 - Beta Corvi – Near Planet 4 – Yellow Alert

Since I already knew that the Slylandro are a unique species who live inside a gas giant, I wanted to help prepare my crew for what we may encounter, since I figured that these Slylandro guys might be unlike anything we’ve ever seen before, so for this evening’s film I had our crew watch an old Star Trek: TNG episode, wherein the Enterprise crew discovers an unusual lifeform on the surface of a planet being terraformed (since they presumed it had no life already presiding) but the peculiar as well as microscopic physiology of the species was dismissed by the terraformers as silicates or strange, sparking sand.

Later, with the help of the Enterprise crew, they finally learn that there is indeed life residing underneath the surface where a small, subterranean layer of water sustains them, and the terraforming process of water filtration was going to lower its level and prevent the light from reaching them, thus bringing it the surface was going to eradicate their entire species!

They are finally able to communicate with the aliens which they had brought onboard, but it was almost too late, since the tiny beings were just about fed up with the inadvertent genocidal process, and therefore cause much trouble for the Enterprise and her crew while calling them “ugly bags of mostly water” and tampering with their computers to cause the ship to almost shake itself to pieces!

Fortunately, by studying their reproductive behavior, they manage to determine that the lifeforms depend on light for energy, and they switch the lights off and are able to negotiate peacefully with them and then return them to the surface of their home for a nice, happy ending.

Hopefully the “educational” viewing will help prepare the crew for what we may discover at Beta Corvi IV.

We are approaching the planet and are about to enter orbit. We are maintaining yellow alert status. Zelnick out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:21 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Navigator – “Captain, we are approaching the planet momentarily.”

Captain Zelnick – “Standard orbit Ensign.”

Helmsman – “Aye, sir… standard orbit.”

Captain Zelnick – “Open hailing frequencies.”

Communications Officer – “Open, sir.”

Captain Zelnick – “This is Captain Zelnick of the H.M.S. Vindicator representing the New Alliance of Free Stars. We are on a peaceful exploration mission and are requesting communications. Please respond.”

(after several moments pass)

1st Officer – “All I hear is crickets.”

Captain Zelnick – “This is Captain Zelnick from the planet Earth, are you receiving us?”

1st Officer (smiling) – “Maybe nobody’s home!”

Science Officer – “Standard systems check indicate all communications equipment is functioning normally, Captain.”

Captain Zelnick – “Then why aren’t they responding?”

Communications Officer – “I don’t know, sir. Shall I try to raise them again?”

Captain Zelnick – “Keep trying Lieutenant… and repeat my original hail at regular twenty second intervals.”

Communications Officer – “Aye, Captain.”

Captain Zelnick – “Also, helm… move us into a close-parking orbit… we’ll see if that helps."

Helmsman – “Aye, sir.”

Captain Zelnick – “What are the sensors saying?”

Science Officer – “Not much information available, Captain. The thick, upper atmosphere is likely interfering with our readings no matter how much closer we get. If there is life somewhere inside there, our sensors are not indicating as such.”

1st Officer – “Could we be at the wrong place?”

Captain Zelnick – “Impossible Uno! No!!… This has GOT to be it!”

Communications Officer – “Captain, there’s still no response. I’ve tried everything.”

Captain Zelnick – “Very well… Prepare to activate the Umgah ’Caster.”

1st Officer – “You remember what happened last time! Should we inform the StarRunner so Captain Fwiffo can plug his earholes or whatever it is he uses to hear? How do they hear anyway, Doctor?”

Chief Medical Officer - “How should I know? I’m a doctor, not an exobiologist!”

Communications Officer - “Yes you are!”

Science Officer – “That may not be necessary, Commander. As we’ve continued our scans, sensors are now revealing something on the other side of the planet.”

Captain Zelnick – “What is it? Analysis?”

Science Officer – “I cannot be certain without more information, sir, but it appears to be a satellite of some kind, possibly a transmitter/receiver. From what our sensors show, it appears very old, possibly over thousands of years, but remarkably highly technologically advanced for being so ancient, but there have been recent modifications made to the device, and Captain… from what our sensors show cross-referenced with all known technology, the new additions are indicative of being of Melnorme design.”

1st Officer- “The Melnorme?… But why?”

Captain Zelnick – “Set course for the satellite.”

Helmsman – “Aye, Captain!”

Captain Zelnick – “Commy, prepare the Vindicator’s computer so we can attempt to interface with the array.”

Communications Officer – “Aye, sir!”

1st Officer – “Looks like we may have finally found the doorbell!”
EDIT: Forgot to add the line 'yes you are!'

Last edited by The Troglodyte on Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:44 pm 
Arilou wiseguy

Ding-Dong.

Anyway, you must've done a first chat already, so I presume you're still writing the meeting notes...

I first played super-melee, 2 months before I started my adventure.
I was sooooo disappointed the Slylandro were not another robot species like the Mmrnmhrm.
But the syreen call did not work on the Slylandro, despite working on the robot Mmrnmhrm, and the crystalline Chenjesu and the robot-like Chmmr (I haven't read the SC2 handbook fully, so my knowledge came mostly from SC1 handbooks, but I knew some species from SC2 by overhearing my friends, who have read FAQs about SC2 and were speculating how to move their adventures forward......). And I was disappointed <edited>...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:53 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

krulle wrote:
Anyway, you must've done a first chat already, so I presume you're still writing the meeting notes...

Indeed… there is much to type… and much to analyze.

krulle wrote:
I was sooooo disappointed the Slylandro were not another robot species like the Mmrnmhrm.

I've really enjoyed finding the Slylandro and seeing what they look like for the first time. In fact, of all of the species I've encountered so far, the Slylandro are the only ones that didn't have a picture of what they looked like available in Super Melee.

krulle wrote:
I first played super-melee, 2 months before I started my adventure. […]

But the syreen call did not work on the Slylandro, despite working on the robot Mmrnmhrm, and the crystalline Chenjesu and the robot-like Chmmr (I haven't read the SC2 handbook fully, so my knowledge came mostly from SC1 handbooks, […]

This actually makes sense to me, since the robots which operate the probes seem to be much simpler than sentient lifeforms, which is why their crew dots are grey instead of green. I believe the reason why the Chenjesu and Mmrnmhrm (and the conglomerate of the two species) are affected simply because they have their own will as opposed to just being programmed to perform a function, and their organized thought patterns are therefore susceptible to the effects of the Syreen's powerful "Hypno-Ray" device:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 981 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 99  Next