Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 911 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92  Next
 Post subject: Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:29 am 
Ilwrath spawn

Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.
I HAVE FINALLY GOT CAUGHT UP! Woo! (Also I see I got a couple of mentions :)-smf)

Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:17 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

palmpet wrote:
I HAVE FINALLY GOT CAUGHT UP! Woo! (Also I see I got a couple of mentions :)-smf)
Great! Do you have any questions? Comments? Pictures? ;)-smf

(Meanwhile...)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log - Jun 2, 2157 - HyperSpace (Nearest star system: Delta Sculptoris) - Status: Green

We entered the eleventh portal and emerged out of it at coordinates {567.3:120.7} -- right where we expected! Perfect!

I had navigation bring up the starmap to lay in a new course, and we could instantly see the distance the Pkunk had travelled since the last time we checked (including when the starmap was unavailable during our stay in QuasiSpace) and it would appear that we’re cutting it close to save them in time!

In order to prevent the Pkunk from reaching their destination while simultaneously avoiding any VUX or Yehat ships when we begin closer to the Pkunk’s migratory fleet, I’m having our navigator set a course which will place us in between the VUX’s and Yehat’s spheres of influence. With any luck, we can talk the Pkunk into turning around without having to destroy any Intruders or run away from any Terminators!

We will set course for sector {508.2 : 085.9}, and we’ll adjust our heading along the way if we detect any ships nearby or start heading in an outward-downspin (southwest) direction to seek out the Pkunk. Captain out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log - Jun 5, 2157 - HyperSpace (Near the VUX and Yehat border) {507.6:085.3} - Status: Green

We have arrived at the designated coordinates but we aren’t detecting any ships on our long-range sensors, so I’m having us park and sit for the next few days to see if any Pkunk vessels are attracted to our presence. If necessary, as it gets closer to mid-June and closer to the Pkunk’s predicted demise, we will venture into Yehat space and track down the Pkunk in the combined “flocks”, but we’ll wait here on the edge and see if we can get lucky. Science teams have all been ordered to remain vigilant and report any bogeys that appear on sensors and I’m placing a time portal at this time as a precaution.

We will continue to monitor the Pkunk/Yehat situation. Zelnick out.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:11 pm 
Ilwrath spawn

Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.
Quote:

Well I don't appreciate the treatment of the Orz but that's just me lol

Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:43 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

palmpet wrote:
The Troglodyte wrote:

Well I don't appreciate the treatment of the Orz but that's just me lol

The Troglodyte wrote:
Orz – “So *silly*! Orz are not *people*! Orz are Orz!”

1st Officer (ignoring the Orz’s comment) – “Yes, we were discussing our next objectives, but I’m not sure if we can afford to delay going directly to Alpha Tucanae before we’re too late!”

The Troglodyte wrote:
Chief Medical Officer – “It would also take almost a week longer to get there! And it would put us closer to the VUX!”

Fwiffo – “And the Orz!”

*Singer* - “*Frumple!* Nnnnngggggaaaaaaaaaa!!!”

Captain Zelnick – “Out!”

1st Officer – “Security.”

*Singer* - “*Squeezing* the clam *juice*!”

Good point palmpet! :) Sometimes my crew and I are a little tough on those guys! If it makes you feel any better, several of the Orz have been assigned to security detail since their prowess for hand-to-hand combat is top notch!! ;)-smf

(Meanwhile...)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log - Jun 9, 2157 - HyperSpace (Near the VUX and Yehat border) {507.6:085.3} - Status: Green

We sat around and waited for a Pkunk ship or two to appear on sensors, but after several days of waiting I began to grow impatient, so as soon as our sensors picked up a blip deep within Yehat space, I ordered us to place an intercept course.

I wasn’t thanking myself for my hasty decision afterwards, however, as it turned out to be a sizeable Yehat patrol group of 4 Terminators, which wouldn’t listen when I tried to leave peacefully, and then they abruptly terminated communications and then tried to terminate us.

My plan was to escape using out emergency warp-out and then try again with another bogey from the selection to choose from (since more ships began to appear when we crossed into Yehat territory) but unfortunately, the first Terminator arrived close to weapons’ range and they closed in fast since they’re quite more maneuverable than the Vindicator, but we activated the Point-Defense Laser when a few of the last of the Terminator’s Pulse Cannon shots almost hit our hull, and the PDL successfully absorbed those stragglers. Unfortunately, I instinctively ordered for us to return fire on their ship, and our Hellbore severely damaged their vessel when they failed to maintain their shield strength during the entire volley.

We did manage to continue to move far away from the crippled Yehat ship and warp away, but I felt so bad afterwards after dishing out meaningless death to our troubled former allies that I activated the time portal to undo the event, placing us back on the border.

Once again, the same Yehat blip appeared on sensors and moved towards us, but fortunately, another group appeared nearby before the Yehat could fully approach, and we moved towards the second bogey and were thankful as the Pkunk entered the viewscreen explaining how futile it was for us to try to convince them to turn around, but of course I used our Swollen Moon excuse and they finally capitulated and set course for their home stars:

Now that the Pkunk are “safe” for now, we can take this Portal Spawner out for a spin and see about returning to Starbase. Captain out.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:31 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Jun 15, 2157 - Starbase

Before we could activate the Portal Spawner to try it out for the first time, some more Pkunk appeared off our port bow and hailed us, telling how warm and fuzzy they were now feeling, sooo warm and fuzzy in fact that several more Pkunk ships are awaiting our return to their homeworld in Gamma Krueger.

After bidding them farewell, we had no trouble making it home; the Portal Spawner worked perfectly and brought us into QuasiSpace exactly where the natural dimensional hole does, and from there we made our way to the portal entry point which deposited us directly below Beta Lyrae, and from there we travelled the short distance back to Starbase.

Commander Hayes was glad we made it safely back in one piece and while the Starbase folks offloaded our minerals, I inquired Hayes if their scientists had the chance to analyze our wonderful new device. They were able to confirm that the components which make up the assembly are of both Arilou and Ur-Quan technology, but the part that most concerns me is how they were unable to determine how long the device will remain functional, and it’s not as if there are additional Ur-Quan Warp Pods lying around in case we need to take it back to the Arilou guys for maintenance repairs and such. (I knew I should’ve bought the extended warranty -- 2 years or 50,000 light years, whichever comes first.)

We’ve just finished with the de-briefing meeting, where I shared our experiences from our last mission, including using the Umgah ’Caster to speak with the slowly-evolving and combining intertwinings of the Chenjesu and Mmrnmhrm, who have given us the criteria which we can use to tackle the Ur-Quan’s dreaded Sa-Matra: A big, huge bomb and some kind of diversion.

We also reported that we were successful in our primary mission objective by saving the Zoq-Fot-Pik from a Kohr-Ah invader who had found their homeworld, which also helped explain the presence of the additional Stingers which were added to our fleet. Oh yeah, and we blew up a couple of Dreadnoughts on our way exiting the system.

We told them about our travels into Umgah space, where we destroyed quite a few Drones but otherwise didn’t learn very much, with the exception of the location of the Umgah homeworld in Beta Orionis, and also that they are holding (and likely experimenting on) the injured Talking Pet the Arilou found in the same Dreadnought where we found the Warp Pod and brought to the Arilou.

I explained that we had initially made contact with the Arilou and found the dimensional portal into QuasiSpace prior to finding the Ur-Quan engine part, but I found it necessary to use the time portal to go to Alpha Pavonis before venturing into QuasiSpace, thus saving a good portion of time, and we met up with the Arilou for first contact at their homeworld Falayalaralfali and received the Portal Spawner from them.

Due to the amount of time that we saved, we used one of the portal to place us near Yehat and VUX space before the Pkunk arrived at Gamma Serpentis, and we convinced them to turn around and head home, and then we proceed back to Starbase, using the Portal Spawner to use the closest the portal exit location.

Commander Hayes is very pleased with our recent successes and we will go over our next mission objectives first thing in the morning after the crew and captain get some much deserved rest. Captain out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:26 am 
Orz *camper*

What a debriefing.

You single-handedly forwarded the technology base of Humanity by several centuries...
(Also, nice to read a recapitulation of what you actually did... :) )

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:17 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

Hmm. I wonder if it would make sense for each mission to get its own thread. If we agree that it does, we can make it or any related policy apply retroactively. We could even give them somewhat descriptive names.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:44 pm 
Orz *camper*

It would allow for more discussions, and afetr a certain point we could lock-out the Trog, and continue discussions relating to possible future events, without fear that he comes back in and sees what we're discussing....
but then, since he already exchanged much information for "current events", he already knows stuff to come

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:17 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Death 999 wrote:
Hmm. I wonder if it would make sense for each mission to get its own thread. If we agree that it does, we can make it or any related policy apply retroactively. We could even give them somewhat descriptive names.

I'm wondering what all that would entail… we're not talking about splitting up the current thread, are we? I mean, I know that this "super-thread" is rather massive and can be overwhelming at times, especially for whenever somebody is looking for something specifically, but I believe its enormity has added to its charm, if I do say so myself.

I've also thought about using links in the subject post to add something similar to a "table of contents", but due to the intimidating size and the amount of time that would require, I've been putting it off.

krulle wrote:
It would allow for more discussions, and [after] a certain point we could lock-out the Trog, and continue discussions relating to possible future events, without fear that he comes back in and sees what we're discussing....

Now if we're talking about creating additional threads to reference the "about to try to beat SC2", I'm definitely all for that notion (and flattered quite frankly), and I would stay out of any of those so you guys could feel free to discuss whatever you like without having to constantly spoiler mark such material like you would in this thread. (and I could be wrong krulle, but I don't think I can individually be "locked out" of any given thread… but I could be wrong –- never underestimate the power of our new mods!)

EDIT: I went ahead and copied the links from Death's kids' play SC2 to my subject post for easy access. I'll add more later whenever I have the time.

Last edited by The Troglodyte on Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:00 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Captain’s Log - Jun 21, 2157 - Beta Corvi - Status: Green

After we had our flagship refueled and prior to our departure, I went over our next mission objectives with Commander Hayes and our senior staff, which includes going to many places, including Beta Corvi, Epsilon Camelopardalis and Delta Lyncis.

Usually I would prefer to return to Starbase after each goal is achieved, but we can’t be certain how long the Portal Spawner will remain functional, so we need to make sure we take care of our top priorities while it’s still in good working condition, so returning to Starbase after each visit may put needless wear and tear on the precious device.

We also went ahead and scuttled two of our four stingers to make room in our fleet for any more additions we may happen upon, especially just in case we decide to go to Gamma Krueger before heading home at the end of our mission.

We left the Sol system and immediately activated the Portal Spawner and set a course for portal 13, which whisked us to the upper left corner at sector {010.3 : 940.4}; just outside the Gamma Corvi System, and from there we went to our next destination, which puts us on the outer edge of the Beta Corvi System, a green dwarf star with 7 planets:

Planet 1 - Small Green (green zone)
Planet 2 - Small Red (cool zone)
Planet 3 - Small Blue
Planet 4 - Red Gas Giant (cold zone begins) (Slylandro???)
Planet 5 - Small Green
Planet 6 - Medium Green
Planet 7 - Small Green

We obviously have one main reason for being here, but it would be nice to explore a little while here inside the Corvus Constellation, whereas the word “corvus” means “raven” in Latin, and the poor bird from which this group of stars was named after has had many dastardly stories told about it, most of which involves Apollo, the one part Greek god, other part Rocky-fighting boxer, who turned a pure white crow’s feathers solid black after it revealed to Apollo that his lover Coronis had been unfaithful, thus creating the raven. Hey! It wasn’t the bird’s fault! Another story had the raven being tasked by Apollo with fetching a bucket of water, but made the excuse that it couldn’t because there was a snake that wouldn’t allow him to get any, and is therefore seen on Hydra’s back in the night sky (from earth), and it kind of reminds me of the Mexican flag:

Corvus (the crow or raven) as shown in the 19th century star atlas of Alexander Jamieson.
It's an ancient southern hemisphere constellation described in Ptolemy's Almagest in the 2nd century.
©Mona Evans, "Heavenly Aviaries – Bird Constellations" http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art33297

We will now set course for the 4th planet, which is where we suspect we’ll finally find the Slylandro and hopefully deal with this probe mess! How long will we have to contend with this annoying problem? Nevermore!!! We are going to Yellow Alert. Zelnick out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 911 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92  Next