Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102  Next
 Post subject: Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:59 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log - Sep 27, 2157 - Near Epsilon Scorpii 1 - Yellow Alert

We returned back to the Mycon homeworld to see if there was anything else we could learn from them, but… let’s just say that our extra visit didn’t go so well. I used the time portal to place us back to when we left orbit, but when we tried to leave the area, some of the patrols that had closed in on the planet ended up intersecting our course as we both moved away from the planet, and they’d stop to talk to us, followed by attacking us. Well, that’s gratitude for you! We serve up a beautiful planet on a silver platter for them to freely spill their spore seed into to cause it to vomit its own magma until it’s an ever-flowing ball of sulfur and lava, only to get tendril-slapped in the face by them! Hmmph! However, the confrontation was easily avoidable when I re-activated the time portal; I simply needed to wait for all of the Podships in the immediate area to move far away from the planet so we wouldn’t all get caught up together like laundry in a washer escaping the planet’s gravity well simultaneously.

Afterwards, I had us park ourselves on the outside part of the system for the next several days, monitoring and scanning the system for any notable changes from the Mycon, but they kept to their normal routines and patrol routes. We brought up the starmap to take a look as to where our next destination should be, and, as I had optimistically anticipated, we noticed the Mycon’s entire sphere of influence move a little in a downward direction… towards Organon. Interesting.

At first, I wasn’t sure what to do… Should we return to Betelgeuse and inform the Syreen that all is going well? Should we depart from here and set course for Organon? After pondering these things, another idea popped into my head. I mean, if the Mycon are moving their main forces to Organon to aide with implantation of their Deep Children, then perhaps they won’t have some of their other worlds as heavily guarded! Ah-ha! Everything is circling back to where my thought processes originated.

We have set course for Beta Brahe. Captain out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log - Sep 30, 2157 - Beta Brahe 1 - Red Alert

We arrived in the Beta Brahe system without further incident, and we set course for the 1st planet, dodging the Mycon ships along the way, and we implemented the “mushroom lasso” technique when some stray ships around the innermost world noticed us and alerted the rest, and we played “Ring a Ring o’ Roses”1 until we had our opportunity to continue towards the planet.

Usually at this point we would be greeted by another massive fleet guarding their special pod device thingy on the planet below, but apparently what I had been hoping for has come to pass: The Mycon have sent most of their Podships to Organon!! So, that means they’ve foolishly only left 5 Podship vessels to guard Beta Brahe 1:

This time we won’t get turned away so easily. We are opening communication channels. Zelnick out.
1Sometimes commonly called “Ring Around the Rosie”

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:35 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Captain’s Log - Sep 30, 2157 - Beta Brahe 1 - Red Alert

We confidently approached the 5 Mycon Podships; the only set of Podships left behind after the Mycon have set out most of their forces to venture down to Organon to implant their Deep Children to claim another world for themselves and expand their ideology of Juffo-Wup.

We asked them if they had visited the planet in Organon yet, or heard any word from their fungal brethren, but they claimed there must’ve been some unforeseen difficulties in penetrating the crust at the innermost planet, but they still feel sure of themselves that their Deep Children will ultimately be born. That’s right, Mycon… keep focusing all of your efforts to ensuring your lava seed is planted… and pay no attention to that massive red blotch appearing in the sky on the horizon… it’s not as if it’s a giant Penetrator fleet to bring your downfall!

Then it came time to the ugly business at hand of getting past this final obstacle, but I felt it would be uncouth to not at the very least extend the opportunity for the Mycon to let us pass without any trouble, but they ignored our request and shared their knowledge of Juffo-Wup and how it can’t be stopped by energy blasts, but we ourselves can, which is what they intend to accomplish. Well, I’ve got some news for them… they’re not Juffo-Wup either, and therefore they too are susceptible to the effect of energy blasts! WE shall now demonstrate.

“Here comes a candle to light you to bed,
And here comes a chopper to chop off your head!
Chip chop chip chop the last man is dead.”

-- “Oranges and Lemons” c. 1744

We are going to battle stations. Let the chopping commence. Captain out.
Captain’s Log – Supplemental:

We had many battle options, since both the Pkunk and the Arilou are both capable of taking down numerous Podships without incurring any casualties, as long as they remain careful and vigilant.

However, I also felt this would a great opportunity to exercise some of my own personal demons that I acquired during our last visit through Mycon space. So, we brought the Vindicator’s weapons to bear on all 5 Podships and took them down each one-by-one. It felt great actually to tell you the truth. Our full-frontal array of Hellbore Cannons could grind their way through the Homing Plasmoids and continue to their target and obliterated the Podships’ hulls often times with just one volley! We continued the onslaught until there were no Mycons left and then we entered orbit.

Scanners showed a high concentration of minerals on the surface of this Shattered World, which was of course accompanied by the usual amount of extreme never-ceasing earthquake activity and ever-spewing violent rivers of lava. Sensors also recognized an energy reading in the western southern region -- and we knew right away it must be what we’ve been looking for!

We sent down the Lander as close to the object as possible to reduce the chances of crew death, and it landed nearby and proceeded towards the mysterious artifact as quickly as possible as earthquakes and lava flowed all around the landing party. Soon we were receiving a transmission from the surface:

(cont’d)
THE CEILING OR BEING BASHED AGAINST THE
LANDER WALLS, WE WERE LOOKING FOR
WHATEVER IT WAS THAT THE MYCON WERE
HIDING DOWN HERE. WE THINK WE’VE FOUND
IT!

I DON’T KNOW WHAT TO CALL IT -- IT KIND
OF LOOKS LIKE A CROSS BETWEEN A SPIDER
AND AN ANTENNA, BUT JEEVO THE ENGINEER
WE BROUGHT ALONG, SAYS THE DEVICE HAS
THE CAPACITY TO RADIATE INCREDIBLE
AMOUNTS OF ENERGY IN THE FORM OF VISIBLE
LIGHT.

WE HAVE DECIDED NOT TO EXPERIMENT WITH
THE ARTIFACT, AND WILL BRING IT ABOARD
RIGHT AFTER WE EXPLORE THE IMMEDIATE
VICIN-ITY-TY...

...UH-OH CAP-P-TAIN! LOOK-K-S LIKE-KE
THE-E SHOCKS-KS ARE-E ST-START-T-ING UP-P
AG-GAIN! WE-E CAN’T-T TAK-KE M-MUCH
M-MO-RE OF TH-H-IS!

R-RET-URN-NING T-TO SHIP-P!

---- END OF REPORT ----

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I must admit… it does kind of look like a spider impaled on an antenna, but to me it looks more like an umbrella without its webbing!

I placed a time portal so we could begin conducting tests on the device, and while still in orbit of Beta Brahe, we activated it. An intense bright light emitted from the peculiar thing, and temporarily blinded me and the entire bridge crew for a few moments, and when the blur had subsided and my eyes had refocused, I noticed the geraniums that I always keep on the bridge (but have failed to water recently, so they were looking a bit distressed and weathered) were suddenly restored, as if E.T. himself had touched them with his magical glowing finger! This new device is significant indeed, and I know just where I’d like to test it out next…

But first, we will head back to Starbase. Zelnick out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:26 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Captain’s Log - Sep 30, 2157 - Beta Brahe - Red Alert

We left orbit, still a little blurry-eyed from the intense flash given off by our newly procured Sun Device, and we set course for the edge of the system in order to use the Quasi Portal and take us from this dangerous place and put us on our way back home, but the Mycons from within the system were already converging on our position as we started to pick up speed and move away from the planet.

It wasn’t enough though, and our most evasive of tactics were insufficient, and still put us square in line with a contingent of 3 Mycon Podships with fully charged weapons, and they were very upset that we had stolen what they refer to as the “Solar Manipulator” from them. Oh, poor little Mycons! Somebody call them a Waaaaa-mbulance! Hey! Finders keepers; losers weepers!

Anyway, they obviously attacked us, but I sent in one of our Arilou companions to take care of them as we continued to move away, but we closely monitored the battle as it transpired. Now I think I understand why Captain Tinkafo volunteered to be sent to take on the Mycons, because he aggressively carved up their ships with the full capacity of their battery’s auxiliary power, and followed that up by bringing their own Homing Plasmoids right back to their birth place for a final death blow! At one point I do believe the Arilou were actually toying with them!!

We have resumed course for the edge of the system with a nice, long trail of Podships not far behind, so we will remain at Red Alert until we can enter QuasiSpace. Captain out.
Captain’s Log - Oct 7, 2157 - Starbase

We returned to base and Commander Hayes greeted us as we were already unloading the Sun Device and bringing it to the scientists to properly analyze its function and other properties. What they concluded was mind-bending… Uh, I mean mind-blowing… I mean mind-shattering… I mean mind-altering… No! I mean mind-croggling. Yeah, that’s it… mind-croggling! Ahem… So, the scientists basically have surmised that when the device is not in orbit of a large space body like say… a planet, then it’s mostly dormant. However, as soon as it is in position from an orbital position, then suddenly its true potential and solar power is realized, and it can emit energy levels that are equivalent to a dwarf star. Simply amazing!

During our mission briefing, we also brought up the starmap and witnessed the movement of the Mycon, whose movement pattern was indicated following the updated travel of the Pkunk’s, and we could see that the lower part of the Mycon’s sphere of influence is almost touching Organon.

It is difficult to know exactly what to do next… we could use the cryogenic chamber to speed up the process and see what shall transpire, given enough time for everything to come to fruition. If not, we could go back to Betelgeuse and check on the Syreen still stationed back at their Starbase and see how things are going… plus it might give me a chance to spend some more Cowabunga time with Talana, and I bet she’d be happy to know that our plan is working perfectly so far. Or… the other thought that enters my spore-free brain is flying on over to Procyon and use the Sun Device on the slave-shielded world at Procyon which is currently housing the Chenjesu and Mmrnmhrm and see what happens. In fact, although it might be risky, the radiant power of the Sun Device may speed along the process and hopefully accelerate their transformation from years to minutes.

We shall ponder what to do next. Zelnick out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:14 pm 
Arilou wiseguy

I remember very well how I flew to Organon, to help the Syreen with their ambush.
I sat there and waited until the Mycon fleet arrived.
All pans heated, and plenty of butter prepared.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:23 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

krulle wrote:
I remember very well how I flew to Organon, to help the Syreen with their ambush.
I sat there and waited until the Mycon fleet arrived.
All pans heated, and plenty of butter prepared.

Hmmm… perhaps there’s something to that idea. I think I may have to give it a try:
Captain’s Log - Oct 14, 2157 - Betelgeuse - Syreen Starbase

I used the time portal to put us back in Beta Brahe shortly after the point in which the Arilou ship Country Biscuit took down a squadron of 3 Mycon Podships, and from there we set course for Betelgeuse, but although there were a few Mycon bogeys which came close to us during HyperSpace travel, there were none which fully intercepted, and we saw nothing but blank space in the void between the other stars and Betelgeuse.

I’ll have to admit it… I simply couldn’t get Talana out of my mind in wonderment of what she would say when we returned after carrying out the plan by informing the Mycon that there was a planet in Organon that would be perfect for the continued propagation of everything that is considered Juffo-Wup goodness. I was really expecting some kind of hero’s welcome, or at least a reception of something. Anything. But no… not even more Cowabunga time. Bummer.

The only thing I could think to do to break the awkward silence as Commander Talana stared back at me was to ask her what the plan was again. Seemingly perturbed, she went back over it, and I do believe she even slowed her speech down a little, as if she was speaking to a young child or somebody unfamiliar that didn’t have a firm grasp on language. Well, in fairness, I guess I deserved that -- Boy, I must really be whooped! Perhaps things will get brighter once the Syreen achieve their victory.

We brought up the starmap and saw how much the Mycon’s sphere of influence has shifted towards Organon, and it has done so significantly -- but perhaps instead of sitting around in this system, twiddling my thumbs and waiting for the Mycon to arrive at their destination, maybe there’s something more constructive we can accomplish. Captain out.
Captain’s Log - Oct 10, 2157 - Organon - Status: Green

I used the time portal to put us exactly where we were before in Beta Brahe, but this time we went in a downspin direction instead of upspin, and we have arrived in Organon after another lengthy journey, and are well ahead of the Mycon convoy… and possibly the Syreen’s assault fleet too, unless they are somehow hidden and evading our sensor scans.

It will probably be too risky to activate the cryogenic chamber outside of the system, since it won’t be too long before Mycon blips start popping up as they approach, and I wouldn’t want for the crew to be groggy right before the big battle. Therefore, we are going to forego cryogenics altogether and hold our position on the outside of the system, where we will remain at full sensor alert until we see the Mycon’s arrival. We will also periodically check the starmap and examine the Mycon’s progress.

We shall sit and wait. The recreation centers are now at the crew’s disposal. Zelnick out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:57 pm 
Arilou wiseguy

now the wait until they arrive....

Good luck, and keep the guns and pans heated!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:19 pm 
Atum-ta the Sixth

Oh man. The Vindicator is not a stealthy ship, and the Mycon are already pissed at you. You're going to screw this whole plan so badly if you just sit there. ::)-smf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:03 pm 
Arilou wiseguy

Spoiler: I remember that I did sit IN the system, and it did not thwart the ambush...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:35 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Captain’s Log - Nov 12, 2157 - Organon - Yellow Alert

I have re-activated the time portal several times this and the previous month to try and figure out how everything went down when the Mycon arrived in Organon (or will arrive, or have arrived, whichever applies to its respective timeline). We have been able to determine that the Mycon arrived around the late part of October, but the curious thing though is how (no matter how hard we tried) we were unable to join in or even witness the Mycon fleet entering Organon, the Syreen fleet ambush, or anything else while we were within the system constantly scanning for anything out of the ordinary, like, for example, a giant battle taking place near the innermost planet. Frustrating.

In fact, we even tried remaining in orbit and waited for them there, but the time portal mechanism has this funny habit of suspending time while we’re in orbit, and approximately 72 hours went by before I realized it was still the same day… Hmmm… I was wondering why the galley served lasagna 3 days in a row! So, we tried putting the ship outside the innermost planet and monitor from there, but somehow, someway, those stinkin’ Mycon, along with the Syreen, slipped right under our noses and the battle took place without as much as a peep from our sensor grid! Puzzling.

Regardless of our own shortcomings in involvement or eye-witnessing the events, there is one thing that’s certain: The Mycon get their fungal butts handed to them by the Syreen! This was easiest to determine, surprisingly enough, via usage of examining the Mycon’s travel of their sphere of influence through the starmap’s display. This was best accomplished by leaving the system and circling it while dodging several Mycon on sensors as they got close, but they were easy enough to avoid since they’re so slow in HyperSpace, and every other day or so we’d bring the starmap back up to check on their progress and record the results.

As soon as their violet-colored circle indicating their mass of ships became fully centered around Organon (sometime around October 27th) then the following days afterwards it quickly shrunk down for the next 2 weeks to less than half of its original size, leaving their SOI smaller than the Pkunk’s and only slightly larger than the Orz’s! Then those who were still among the living tucked their tendrils into their spore holes and headed back in an upspin direction, presumably for home.

For whatever reason it seems that we are unable to get involved in this event, other than triggering it back in Epsilon Scorpii, so I will return us back to the timeline back to Starbase, so we can consider other alternatives. Captain out.
Captain’s Personal Log – Nov 14, 2157:

I’m still greatly bewildered and I keep wondering how unable we were to even catch a glimpse of the battle between the Mycon and the Syreen. It reminds me of back during the Pkunk cryogenic missions when we tried to make ourselves present at Gamma Serpentis at the exact moment when the main Pkunk fleet approached the Yehat homeworld and were subsequently obliterated (although later averted for our current timeline sequence) by the overwhelming Yehat royal guard forces, but we weren’t able to witness their slaughter then either. It really defies all logic…

But… although there is insufficient information to reach a positive conclusion, I can at least hypothesize that this could all be the result of another strange ability our Precursor ship is capable of, especially as it relates to time:

You see, I’ve often noticed strange occurrences taking place when I use certain functions and commands on the Vindicator, such as time suspension when we’re in orbit, or if we completely disengage the engines within a star system, or even when we bring up the starmap with an alien ship approaching, whereas we can basically just sit there, if we wanted to, for the next 6 months staring at the map screen and the potential alien encounter will still be at the exact same distance as to when we first brought up the map!

Therefore, I can speculate that during other events of tremendous impact on the dynamics of alien space, that there’s some kind of “outside interference prevention mechanism” on our ship that kicks in and prevents us from being present at the location at the moment at which they transpire… we can arrive early, or we can show up afterwards, but we can’t be on hand and live in the moment, but our clocks don’t change, nor jump back or fling forward, since we’re already contained within the time bubble the Vindicator creates. Or maybe not… and our sensors just suck!

End of Personal Log.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:47 pm 
Arilou wiseguy

:twisted:

Yeah. You wasted quite some time this way, just like I did.
I jumped back to the Syreen StarBase, wher I had a savepoint...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102  Next